PDA

View Full Version : Dale Burdick makes decision

TheRef
06-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Dale Burdick, a 2014 baseball signee, has made the decision to go to the MLB with the Mets after a 40th round draft pick.

Can't believe it...but oh well.

Saltydog
06-21-2014, 04:19 PM
that he may transfer. Good glove.

I seen it dawg
06-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Seriously? Wow

TheRef
06-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Seriously? Wow

Yupp...apparently he's always wanted to be drafted....going to be hard to make it out from the 40th round.

I seen it dawg
06-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Damn go to juco for a year and get picked in the top 10 rounds. Head scratcher

HSVDawg
06-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Just a poor life decision. You get maybe $5-10K signing bonus at that level, and absolutely no negotiating leverage for full paid tuition after the fact if you flame out. Maybe his family really needed the money or something, and if thats the case its hard to fault him. But otherwise its a very puzzling decision.

State82
06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Just a poor life decision. You get maybe $5-10K signing bonus at that level, and absolutely no negotiating leverage for full paid tuition after the fact if you flame out. Maybe his family really needed the money or something, and if thats the case its hard to fault him. But otherwise its a very puzzling decision.

It's going to cost his family money for him to go play. They will probably be sending him money every month.

preachermatt83
06-21-2014, 05:14 PM
wow! That's just unreal.

Bully13
06-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Dale Burdick, a 2014 baseball signee, has made the decision to go to the MLB with the Mets after a 40th round draft pick.

why can't we do heppin' like Vandy?

State82
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM

This is exactly why I refuse to pull for Vandy in the CWS. Can't stand UT either but I hope they beat Vandy and UVA wins the whole thing.

KB21
06-21-2014, 05:26 PM

We aren't a private school, so we can't use private school status to skirt some of the rules.

MarketingBully01
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM

No offense to the kid but that has to be the dumbest decision I have seen in a long long time. If he did anything in college, he would have been in the top 10 rounds.

Vandownbytheriver
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
What has Vandy done? I must've missed that one.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
While I do not agree with his decision, I do wish him well.

This is part of the reason why we have so much trouble with power hitters. MLB takes most of the really good ones. Vallot and Burdick would have been huge for us. Burdick may hurt worse in some respects because he wasn't expected to sign.

All we can do is use their scholarship money to try to get others who can fill the gap.

State82
06-21-2014, 05:31 PM

It's just the way they bypass the 11.7 scholly limitation by being a private school and doling out academic aid as they see fit. Especially to males with thunderbolts for arms.

maroonmania
It's going to cost his family money for him to go play. They will probably be sending him money every month.

This. Just sounds like a guy that wanted to avoid having to go to class at all costs.

Bully13

they get players drafted in the 1st round, forego millions to stay in Nashville. head scratcher****

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Vandy also had an awesome pitching coach named Derek Johnson who is highly respected and is with the Cubs now.

They're not going to get the high end pitching prospects like they used to unless they are hurt- like Dylan Cease this year.

MarketingBully01
06-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Wasn't that the guy we went after and got Butch Thompson instead.

MarketingBully01
06-21-2014, 05:40 PM
We were very very close to getting that Vandy guy too.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes, we did go after Derek Johnson for our pitching coach job.

And yes, we also went after Touki Touissant and Dylan Cease as well and both chose Vandy.

I do not think we would have gotten Touissant to campus, and I do not believe that Vandy will either. Had Cease committed to us, we would have gotten him to campus, but with a hurt arm- which is where Vandy is with him right now.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
MSU putting guys like Stratton, Lindgren, Holder, and etc. into pro baseball helps us with recruiting. It would be very helpful if Lindgren makes it up this year.

Lindgren went from a 12th round pick to a 2nd round pick. Stratton and Holder were undrafted out of high school.

msstate7
06-21-2014, 06:04 PM
MSU putting guys like Stratton, Lindgren, Holder, and etc. into pro baseball helps us with recruiting. It would be very helpful if Lindgren makes it up this year.

Lindgren went from a 12th round pick to a 2nd round pick. Stratton and Holder were undrafted out of high school.

Stratton making the show would be nice too. Is he finally healthy or what?

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Todd, of course your right, we lost 2 power hitters. Cohen I know will replace them but may not be good hitters. Must do better on recruiting trail, we must get hitters.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Stratton making the show would be nice too. Is he finally healthy or what?

I think him getting hit in the head in rookie ball slowed him down some, but he has been pitching pretty well lately in A ball. He should be in AA either by the end of the year or by next year at the latest.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Todd, of course your right, we lost 2 power hitters. Cohen I know will replace them but may not be good hitters. Must do better on recruiting trail, we must get hitters.

I agree 100% with this. This makes Ryan Gridley become more of a factor- and he's another 5'9" contact/bunt/run type guy sort of like Brett Pirtle. But we could/have and probably should have had a 10 home run guy in Burdick who probably would have stolen 10 bags as well.

This makes 3B and 2B more of a glaring need for the 2015 class now.

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Just for the record, first year Cohen jphas lost more than one signed to pro ball.

Dawg61
06-21-2014, 06:46 PM
This is a real head-scratcher. There must be more to this that we don't know. Maybe it's not that his family needs the money but maybe it's the opposite. Maybe his dad told him to follow his dream now or maybe the Mets were sneaky with their 40th round pick this year and tied in extra bonuses somehow. Strange or smart business by the Mets I'm not sure. First time I've ever heard of a school losing a 40th round draft pick straight out of HS.

State82
06-21-2014, 07:20 PM
This is a real head-scratcher. There must be more to this that we don't know. Maybe it's not that his family needs the money but maybe it's the opposite. Maybe his dad told him to follow his dream now or maybe the Mets were sneaky with their 40th round pick this year and tied in extra bonuses somehow. Strange or smart business by the Mets I'm not sure. First time I've ever heard of a school losing a 40th round draft pick straight out of HS.

You're right. No way his family needing money was the basis for this decision. It would have to be just the opposite. Now, they probably wouldn't be dishing out any more $ for him to go play pro ball than if he went to school, but either way, signing a contract as a 40th round draft pick will in no way benefit your family within the next few years, if ever.

TrueMaroon
06-21-2014, 07:22 PM
People tried drafting Burdick in rounds 6,7, and 8 but the money wasn't what he wanted so he told them "no." The mets worked a deal to draft him late so that they could use their excess money from the first 10 rounds to get him. I posted a while back that there's more to this than him being drafted in the 40th and unfortunately what i feared has happened.

maroonmania
06-21-2014, 07:22 PM
I agree 100% with this. This makes Ryan Gridley become more of a factor- and he's another 5'9" contact/bunt/run type guy sort of like Brett Pirtle. But we could/have and probably should have had a 10 home run guy in Burdick who probably would have stolen 10 bags as well.

This makes 3B and 2B more of a glaring need for the 2015 class now.

No doubt the unexpected loss of Burdick puts a big dent in our 2016 infield plans after Heck and Britton are gone. May have to bring in another JUCO infielder next year.

State82
06-21-2014, 07:27 PM
People tried drafting Burdick in rounds 6,7, and 8 but the money wasn't what he wanted so he told them "no." The mets worked a deal to draft him late so that they could use their excess money from the first 10 rounds to get him. I posted a while back that there's more to this than him being drafted in the 40th and unfortunately what i feared has happened.

Well. That makes a LOT more sense. Thanks.

Dawg61
06-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I thought extra money saved in rounds 1-10 could only be used on picks 1-10? Doesn't matter cause the Mets must of thrown something big in on the side to sign him. 40th round picks are normally 1 year from being cut if that. Like the 55th pick in the NBA draft is usually just months away from being cut. Very strange. Padres wasted a 24th round pick or whatever on JFF and Burdick signs 16 rounds after that. Wth

HancockCountyDog
06-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Guys, after the 10th round, you can sign anyone for 100k and it doesn't count against their pool.

They could easily have offered him 250k and they would only need 150 k from their pool money .

This one really, really sucks.

dickiedawg
06-21-2014, 07:45 PM
This makes Ryan Gridley become more of a factor- and he's another 5'9" contact/bunt/run type guy sort of like Brett Pirtle.

Give me 9 Brett Pirtles. I'm ok with that.

msstate7
06-21-2014, 07:48 PM

8 with Adam Frazier leading off

I seen it dawg
06-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Damn straight about that

Buddy
06-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Saw on Twitter that Luke Bonfield a UPig signee who Mets drafted in 21st round turned down their offer and announced he is going to Arkansas.

Also looks like we may have just filled his spot with All-State infielder Luke Reynolds, a freshman at Hinds CC. Anybody know anything about him? Think he played his HS ball in Forest.

msstate7
06-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Saw on Twitter that Luke Bonfield a UPig signee who Mets drafted in 21st round turned down their offer and announced he is going to Arkansas.

Going to school and hoping to move to the 40th round