PDA

View Full Version : Dudy Noble Expansion talk

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Stricklin says 5-7 years on finishing project, that is asinine to me. We got to do it sooner than that. Killing the momentum.

thedawg
06-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I wish it was going to happen much sooner than that also... However I want it done right and I admittedly have no idea how long you really need to secure everything to do it right..

starkvegasdawg
06-21-2014, 03:53 PM
So it will be an expansion and not new stadium?

preachermatt83
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
delete

BossDawg
06-21-2014, 04:17 PM
I agree. I understand planning and such takes a while to do, especially if done right, but it doesn't seem like it would take 5-7 years. That seems ridiculous to me. I'm assuming that funding is the problem, correct?

Just imagine how recruiting would blast off this happened, but just like everything else at State we have to wait for a few years to get it going.

bulldogcountry1
06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
5 years is disappointing. 7 years is asinine.

If funding just isn't there, then it's hard to argue, but it's hard to believe that we would have such a poor level of donor interest. Otherwise, we just can't afford to wait that long. Why the hell have multiple town hall meetings just to discuss DNF, only to say it might be 7 years out?

Who was it on here who kept saying that money was not an issue?

Political Hack
06-21-2014, 04:36 PM
at be we shouldn't announce things a decade in advance. idiots.

bobcat91
06-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Its Stricklins job to find funding. Anyone who thinks Stricklin is competent is fooling themselves. He is a press the palm lounge lizard who's act is getting stale. We lost the hosting of the SEC softball tourney because we never even started the facilities which make us look like idiots. Now we are going to have a lot of money rolling in from SEC Network and he can't figure out how to use it to improve facilities. He is dropping the ball badly if this timeline is accurate.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Where did he say that?

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Gene interviewed him

messageboardsuperhero
06-21-2014, 05:16 PM
5-7 years? That's typical Stricklin. I won't complain too much though, as long as it's a total grandstand rebuild and made into the cathedral of college baseball. If it's going to take 5-7 more years, it sure as hell better be...

Vandownbytheriver
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Why not do like he usually does? Hashtag Field at Twitter Stadium. Instead of a diamond, the infield could be shaped like a hashtag. We could find sponsors for the back of our jerseys like little league. I'm surprised he hasn't done this already.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
I've been hearing 2017.

My thought after reading the interview is this plus my two cents:

1. This will be a "renovation" in that the baseball field will be built on the current site- but it will be a MAJOR renovation with a new grandstand. The playing field will probably be the same one that we are currently using.

2. I think it will be done in stages where maybe the grandstand is finished by 2017, and then the next season they renovate the LFL and scoreboard. That way we won't have to play a season at Trustmark Park or EMCC or something. So, if it's done in stages, then technically it may not be totally completed for five years.

3. He did tell Gene that it would be done in the next seven years, but he also said it was the next major project for MSU once the football field is completed. So, I'm not sure how he meant it. Did he mean it will be complete five years from now, or did he mean we won't start on it five years from now? Or was he just tired of talking to Gene? Which is also very possible.

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Well, for momentum, recruiting purposes, he needs to do/say something big by next June.

State82
06-21-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't care whether he was referring to planning, starting construction, or actually having a completed project within 5-7 years. That is totally unacceptable. Contrary to what some have said here, $ is quite obviously the culprit. If it wasn't, there is no way we would be looking at playing in the existing facility until after 2020. No way. This situation is quickly approaching a Charlie Foxtrot.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Well, for momentum, recruiting purposes, he needs to do/say something big by next June.

Oh I agree completely with that.

Next time is actually probably a perfect time to announce something after this run that Ole Miss has had.

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't care whether he was referring to planning, starting construction, or actually having a completed project within 5-7 years. That is totally unacceptable. Contrary to what some have said here, $ is quite obviously the culprit. If it wasn't, there is no way we would be looking at playing in the existing facility until after 2020. No way. This situation is quickly approaching a Charlie Foxtrot.

I don't think money is the culprit. I think fear on Scott's part and making sure everyone is happy is the culprit right now. And to be fair, he does have to make sure that end zone is finished in about two months.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I dont think it will be 5-7 years. Id put a large wager on it :)

War Machine Dawg
06-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Its Stricklins job to find funding. Anyone who thinks Stricklin is competent is fooling themselves. He is a press the palm lounge lizard who's act is getting stale. We lost the hosting of the SEC softball tourney because we never even started the facilities which make us look like idiots. Now we are going to have a lot of money rolling in from SEC Network and he can't figure out how to use it to improve facilities. He is dropping the ball badly if this timeline is accurate.

BINGO. Stricklin is LT 2.0. If true, he should be fired immediately. Baseball should be the priority at MSU, period. 5 years is a completely unacceptable timetable for this to happen. We might as well just stop claiming baseball superiority, because hitters, especially good power hitters, aren't coming to the dump that Dudy Noble is right now.

State82
06-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't think money is the culprit. I think fear on Scott's part and making sure everyone is happy is the culprit right now. And to be fair, he does have to make sure that end zone is finished in about two months.

I can see that point of view also. But why, in the name of Dudy Noble, would he make the 5-7 year comment and set all of us baseball folks off? Unless you really believe that to be the case I don't see where that kind of stated time frame benefits your cause. It just gets folks riled up.

ScottH
06-21-2014, 07:49 PM
I dont think it will be 5-7 years. Id put a large wager on it :)

You are correct.

I did not read/ hear where "5-7" came from but that matches nothing I have been told. I'm thinking something was out of context.

PassInterference
06-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Strick is not LT 2.0.

LT voted against cowbells. Strick persueded the whole damn conference to make them legal.

When LT was in charge, it was hard to find much MSU gear outside of Starkville. Hell, I saw some MSU beach gear in Florida last spring.

Other than the compliance side of the house, Strick is night & day compared to LT.

maroonmania
06-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Well hopefully Stricklin knows where his bread is buttered and that is men's football, basketball and baseball. Nothing against women's softball but Stricklin is not going to get in hot water with the fanbase over what is going on with that. He will get in deep doo doo if he procrastinates too long or screws up the DNF project.

Pollodawg
06-21-2014, 08:53 PM
BINGO. Stricklin is LT 2.0. If true, he should be fired immediately. Baseball should be the priority at MSU, period. 5 years is a completely unacceptable timetable for this to happen. We might as well just stop claiming baseball superiority, because hitters, especially good power hitters, aren't coming to the dump that Dudy Noble is right now.

Yeah.........no.

dawg21
06-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Everything that is said is calculated. No way the AD says we are going to build something new and then say "5-7 years". I bet IF it was said its to get people to donate.

We are raising money and improving facilities faster and better than ever in history. I don't understand the LT 2.0.

slickdawg
06-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Strick is not LT 2.0.

LT voted against cowbells. Strick persueded the whole damn conference to make them legal.

When LT was in charge, it was hard to find much MSU gear outside of Starkville. Hell, I saw some MSU beach gear in Florida last spring.

Other than the compliance side of the house, Strick is night & day compared to LT.

Strick aims pretty high - look at the stadium expansion, drumming up the money to keep Collins. LT just "kept us in the black".

Maroonthirteen
06-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Strick aims pretty high - look at the stadium expansion, drumming up the money to keep Collins. LT just "kept us in the black".

I agree. LTs north endzone expansion would have been leasing more bleachers and another score board from Starkville little league.

Offshore Dawg
06-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Stricklin says 5-7 years on finishing project, that is asinine to me. We got to do it sooner than that. Killing the momentum.

Some people have reading comprehension problems. He did not say DNF when talking about 5-7 years. Read swans interview again.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2014, 01:01 AM

I'd call that the bare minimum for an SEC school, especially with the $30M a year we're supposed to have coming in from the SEC Network. He hasn't done anything to impress me yet.

Dawg61
06-22-2014, 01:20 AM
I bet IF it was said its to get people to donate.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/cfoh456/Fall%202011%20Random%20Gifs/bingo.gif

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Some people have reading comprehension problems. He did not say DNF when talking about 5-7 years. Read swans interview again.

He didn't- but that's what it looks like he is saying. If that makes sense.

I thought it was a poorly worded question by Gene.

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2014, 07:42 AM
What's the timeline on DWS end zone expansion? That should be a good indicator of how long an extensive DNF reno would take.

First concepts released?
Final renderings released?
Plans sent out for bids?
Start of construction?
Completion?

CadaverDawg
06-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I thought it was a poorly worded question by Gene.

You don't say?**

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
New stadium will be open 2017. Take it or leave it.

Goat Holder
06-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Scott Stricklin hate needs to end. Pretty obvious how many of you have absolutely ZERO knowledge and influence.

You think we might could finish this freaking awesome football expansion before we embark on another multi-million dollar endeavor? Oh right, engine says we have like a googlezillion dollars coming in from the SEC Network. Friggin chode.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-22-2014, 01:45 PM
I think it is established that engie is good at stats and googling but has no connections.

Some people are just too old to argue with him.

PassInterference
06-22-2014, 01:54 PM
New stadium will be open 2017. Take it or leave it.

And we didn't even have to package and sell with football fundraising.

Maroons
06-22-2014, 02:16 PM
He hasn't done anything to impress me yet.

In all seriousness, what would it take for you to be impressed? We're not turning into A&M anytime soon, if that's what you want.

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Scott Stricklin hate needs to end. Pretty obvious how many of you have absolutely ZERO knowledge and influence.

You think we might could finish this freaking awesome football expansion before we embark on another multi-million dollar endeavor? Oh right, engine says we have like a googlezillion dollars coming in from the SEC Network. Friggin chode.

I have zero knowledge and influence when it comes to Stricklin. That's why I haven't judged his job performance. The jury is still out on Rick Ray, and I think fans were expecting him to make Dippin' Dots out of a pile of sewage with that situation. Basketball is a distant third on my list, anyway.

To me, Stricklin will be remembered by how he handles DNF. It's our one real opportunity to have the best college facility in the nation, and a compromise is not an option for him.

engie
06-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I think it is established that engie is good at stats and googling but has no connections.

Some people are just too old to argue with him.

LOL -- OK.

But you are right -- I've made it a point not to ask any questions since the confidentiality agreements were signed several months ago after too much began leaking. No need for me to meander in the minor details -- since I'm getting what I wanted and argued for for so long.

engie
06-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Typical goat post.

Where logic goes to die.

No need to be upset about being wrong on the topic of Dudy Noble, Goat. We're all used to it.

State82
06-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Well, the only thing is, that project has been planned, designed, funded, bid documents submitted, approved, bids let, contract awarded, and construction is nearing completion. Scott has done his job on that one and it was well done, I might add. Now, he doesn't operate cranes, hang drywall, form/pour concrete, paint, install finishes, etc. so it's on to the next project. And that should be DNF, full bore. I realize the softball facility is in the mix also and I agree that the Stricklin hate is unwarranted at this juncture, but he is facing a monumental fork in the road in his legacy. And that is the completion of the "Carnegie Hall" venue. Time will tell, but the clock is ticking.

The Croom Diaries
06-22-2014, 05:06 PM
This was Gene's last question:

Would you say it will be completed within 5 to 7 years?

"Yes, probably 5 to 7 years."

Because earlier in the interview Scott said this:

"Long-range, which is a 5 to 7-year range, we would like to build our indoor tennis courts there. We have a location, our fourth football practice field which is adjacent to softball and tennis. I would also love to address the concourse area of the Hump, maybe make it more fan-friendly. We are putting in a new video screen in the Hump this summer that will be high definition, which will allow us to do some things that we haven't been able to do in the past. We also need to figure out what we are going to do about updating Dudy Noble."

I don't think that means we are going to have to wait 5-7 years. It means it will be finished in 5-7 years. It could be done in 3 years we don't know for sure.

Also in that interview he said they are still studying it and have concepts but haven't made any decisions. To me, this is on the back-burner because his chief concern is making sure everything goes right with DWS expansion. While people on this board are baseball fanatics (like myself) who enjoy it as much as football, the rest of the MSU fanbase doesn't really care that much until Regionals start. We may have a great baseball fanbase, but it pales in comparison....after writing about MSU sports for 4 years I've realized this. So I can understand why this isn't at the top of his list of things to do, although I certainly think it is very important.

Out of Gene's entire interview, I'd be more concerned with this: "the next major project will relate to Dudy Noble. By major, I mean that it will cost more than 10 to 15 million dollars. And it may cost several million over 10 million dollars. I'm just throwing that number out as a benchmark. It will be a lot of money."

I think the consensus of this board is we need a major overhaul and perhaps even tear it down and start over on the same piece of land. I don't think we can do that for just $15-20 million. Not build the best stadium in the country that was promised.

State82
06-22-2014, 05:25 PM
I think the consensus of this board is we need a major overhaul and perhaps even tear it down and start over on the same piece of land. I don't think we can do that for just $15-20 million. Not build the best stadium in the country that was promised.

Yep. Monetary figures like this are paltry sums compared to what needs to be invested. I have no idea what to expect at this point, but I can only hope for the best.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Minimum of 25 million is what Ive heard. Apparently, raising money in baseball isnt a huge issue.

ScottH
06-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Out of Gene's entire interview, I'd be more concerned with this: "the next major project will relate to Dudy Noble. By major, I mean that it will cost more than 10 to 15 million dollars. And it may cost several million over 10 million dollars. I'm just throwing that number out as a benchmark. It will be a lot of money."

Don't be concerned. My tea leaves say the preliminary cost numbers on the concepts came in at approximately the same as the numbers that have been consistently floated on this board. Maybe a tad higher.

I would be interested in what to date has been the most expensive college baseball park. Lsu @ 37 million I assume?

If I were a betting man, I'd say, if LSU is the most expensive, they may be in for a horse race to keep the top spot..

BankerDog
06-22-2014, 06:09 PM
I talked to an associate AD at LSU back in May. He told me when they decided to work on Tiger Stadium, they only got 20% of their money from people in Louisiana. He says when they have something big they want to do; they go to Houston. I really think we, as a school, need to start recruiting prospects out of that East Texas area; it'll only help us in future cases of building/expanding stadiums.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 07:06 PM

"Long-range, which is a 5 to 7-year range, we would like to build our indoor tennis courts there. We have a location, our fourth football practice field which is adjacent to softball and tennis. I would also love to address the concourse area of the Hump, maybe make it more fan-friendly. We are putting in a new video screen in the Hump this summer that will be high definition, which will allow us to do some things that we haven't been able to do in the past. We also need to figure out what we are going to do about updating Dudy Noble."

I don't think that means we are going to have to wait 5-7 years. It means it will be finished in 5-7 years. It could be done in 3 years we don't know for sure.

Also in that interview he said they are still studying it and have concepts but haven't made any decisions. To me, this is on the back-burner because his chief concern is making sure everything goes right with DWS expansion. While people on this board are baseball fanatics (like myself) who enjoy it as much as football, the rest of the MSU fanbase doesn't really care that much until Regionals start. We may have a great baseball fanbase, but it pales in comparison....after writing about MSU sports for 4 years I've realized this. So I can understand why this isn't at the top of his list of things to do, although I certainly think it is very important.

That's exactly the way I took it. And Gene should have asked- so when do anticipate Dudy-Noble being built rather than "so, you expect it to be done in 5-7 years?" That's why I said the question was worded poorly.

Because I bet if he did, Scott would have probably said 2-3 years or 2017.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Minimum of 25 million is what Ive heard. Apparently, raising money in baseball isnt a huge issue.

That would be low end. I'm thinking at least 30 million and probably more than that.

Pollodawg
06-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Yep. let State go 11-2 next season and become a "legit" football school, and people won't be nearly as upset about seasons like we just had in baseball. This is a football region. It's the majority in the South's favorite sport, and I would hasten to say that 80-85% or higher of MSU fans would name it their number one too.

SheltonChoked
06-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Damn.

Several things, Gene asks horrible questions. Of course a baseball upgrade is happening within the next 5-7 years, and Scott answered the question well. Gene was just stupid. Which leads me to my next point, reading comprehension. You people getting upset about the 5-7 year statement need to go back to 9th grade English.

Also, of course LSU comes to Houston for big money donations. MSU does too. Where do you think Swalm, Shackouls, McDaniel, Rouse, Etc live? Oil money is funny like that. Want to get more money like that? Get the Engineering school to push more grads into energy.