PDA

View Full Version : OT: Car engine

BruceWayne
06-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Can the engine in a car lock from sitting? It's a 2000 Chevrolet impala. It's been sitting for about 3 years. I had a mechanic stop by an he said the engine is locked and that I'd need a new one.

spudd21
06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Get another mechanic.

AlmostPositive
06-20-2014, 04:11 PM
The fuel lines might have a problem, but unless you replaced the engine oil with water, the engine almost certainly isn't locked up. Hook up a working battery and see if the starter turns the thing over. If so, end of "locked up" discussion.

MidTNDawg
06-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Sitting 3 years it could possibly lock up. Remove spark plugs, spray some oil into cylinder, let sit over night. Do not replace plugs yet. Next day try cranking with a good battery. Repeat if it does not turn over. You may wind up having to remove the heads. I would not think the engine will have to be replaced, but it is possible.

BruceWayne
06-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks

MSUDeltadawg1971
06-20-2014, 08:05 PM
You could also remove spark plugs and put some diesel in in the holes. Take a socket and ratchet on the crank and and turn it over, you may break it loose.

engie
06-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Are you certain the starter/battery is good?

You can put an open end wrench on the end of the crankshaft and should be able to turn the engine over by hand. This should be easy with the plugs out. If it won't turn over -- forward or backward -- we've got to investigate further.

Can you give any more detail?

jbjones
06-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Are you certain the starter/battery is good?

You can put an open end wrench on the end of the crankshaft and should be able to turn the engine over by hand. This should be easy with the plugs out. If it won't turn over -- forward or backward -- we've got to investigate further.

Can you give any more detail?

I also agree with MidTNDawg, and engie. I'd be damned careful about it though. Remember, you have a handfull of valves that are open at any given time; Air,humidity,water, etc (kind of all the same, huh Ref?) is all in there. It's rusted, I bet. IF you do decide to turn it, pull the plugs and soak each cylinder with some kind of good penetrating oil. I like Marvrel Mystery Oil, or TriFlow. Good stuff.

Other than that, There's no way I'd turn it over without a full dissembely. Good luck.

-JB

PassInterference
06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I know a guy that bought an antique car that had been sitting at least 20 years. He drained the gas, put fresh gas in, changed the battery, cranked it, and drove it home.

Crystal Balls
06-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Is it the 3400 or 3800 engine? The 3400's are known for having intake gasket leaks. This will allow water to get on a piston causing hydro lock and or rust if its been sitting.

MidTNDawg, and engie gave good advise. If your not comfortable with this kind of work you might need to find a reputable mechanic.