PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Baseball at Dudy Noble?

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 12:13 PM
I have a crazy idea (shocking) with the new ballpark being built what are the plans for Dudy Noble once it's done and could we put a minor league team there? How awesome would it be to go watch pro ball at Dudy Noble on days the Bulldogs aren't playing. It'd need lots of work done and there'd be loopholes to jump through including scheduling so MSU and the minor league MLB team aren't playing at home on the same day as well as someone "renting" the space from MSU but I don't see why it couldn't theoretically be done. I'd hate to see Dudy get destroyed when there's so many other opportunities for it to be used. It can be a premier spot for youth tournaments and high school playoffs and local HS teams can rent out games/tournaments. Might be a way to get 4 top HS teams to schedule a tournament and offers MSU top talent to scout on campus. Thoughts?

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
How would you plan to fill it. I wouldnt spend 7 days awake at a baseball game, half for MSU and half for minor league. Also, with so much of the city's population leaving over the summer (the season's near entirety for minor league ball), how exactly do you think they would sell fix. No way in hell

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I have a crazy idea (shocking) with the new ballpark being built what are the plans for Dudy Noble once it's done and could we put a minor league team there? How awesome would it be to go watch pro ball at Dudy Noble on days the Bulldogs aren't playing. It'd need lots of work done and there'd be loopholes to jump through including scheduling so MSU and the minor league MLB team aren't playing at home on the same day as well as someone "renting" the space from MSU but I don't see why it couldn't theoretically be done. I'd hate to see Dudy get destroyed when there's so many other opportunities for it to be used. It can be a premier spot for youth tournaments and high school playoffs and local HS teams can rent out games/tournaments. Might be a way to get 4 top HS teams to schedule a tournament and offers MSU top talent to scout on campus. Thoughts?

The odds of attracting an actual minor league club to Starkville are slim. Those teams live on sweet stadium deals and concessions - it'd be a hard sell to convince anyone that Starkville would provide the attendance numbers needed to keep a minor league team afloat. However, a semi-pro team could be a possibility.

I do like the idea of having HS baseball tournaments games there, similar to how colleges use Trustmark Park. I've always though it would be a great idea for High Schools to use college facilities for big games in baseball, football, and basketball. It's a shame that our basketball and football championships are played at The Coliseum and Veterans Memorial - both are at best the 3rd best facility of their kind in the state. However, it'd be tough to take the State Baseball championships out of Trustmark Park.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 12:28 PM
At the highest levels of minor league baseball the teams are only averaging 5,000-8,000 in attendance. Getting creative with discounts/promotions and assigning days for local youth groups, churches, schools etc and you can book an entire season of home games easier than you think. 5,000 aint shit for Starkville to come watch some pro ball and that's just AAA getting those numbers. What if it was a team like the Yankees and people could come watch Lindgren and Holder? More students than you think stay in Starkville during the summer and they don't have MSU to watch during those months.

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 12:32 PM
At the highest levels of minor league baseball the teams are only averaging 5,000-8,000 in attendance. Getting creative with discounts/promotions and assigning days for local youth groups, churches, schools etc and you can book an entire season of home games easier than you think. 5,000 aint shit for Starkville to come watch some pro ball and that's just AAA getting those numbers. What if it was a team like the Yankees and people could come watch Lindgren and Holder? More students than you think stay in Starkville during the summer and they don't have MSU to watch during those months.

They already do packages and deals like that and get 5-8k. And thats in much bigger cities. Not cities with 15k people. This is nieve. And even with some students staying they wouldn't go to games. I wouldn't, and I didn't miss a game this season. I love baseball but wouldnt sit in 100 degree weather for some team I don't care about.

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 12:33 PM

The M-Braves average less than 3,000/game. I seriously doubt that Starkville would be able to top that. This isn't a college sport, 90% of students won't care and the 10% that do will only go to games every once in awhile. There's too much to do in a college town to distract kids from sitting down to watch minor league baseball. I would be seriously surprised in a minor league team in Starkville would draw 20% of the MSU attendance.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Bigger cities don't give a shit about their minor league teams. The Golden Triangle would. See the difference? And I know that those teams already do packages and deals I'm pointing out that there's ways to book planned attendance for each game. But you can just stay at home and we'll destroy Dudy Noble cause it's too hot.

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Also, these games wouldn't be free for students. They wouldn't go. It would go under in two years. Dumb notion

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Bigger cities don't give a shit about their minor league teams. The Golden Triangle would. See the difference? And I know that those teams already do packages and deals I'm pointing out that there's ways to book planned attendance for each game. But you can just stay at home and we'll destroy Dudy Noble cause it's too hot.

No, I don't see the difference.

Sorry, I just think it's a terrible idea that would never work. Go for it if you want to, but please let me listen in to your conversation with the Yankees about why this is such a great idea to put a minor league team in a metro area of less that 50,000 people that will share a stadium with a college team. I'm sure you will be very convincing.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
New MSU ballpark isn't going to be where Dudy is so that's the disconnect here. I'm under the impression that Dudy Noble will have nobody playing in it starting in 2017. This isn't for now I'm talking about the future for Dudy Noble once the new ballpark is built separate from it.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Also, these games wouldn't be free for students. They wouldn't go. It would go under in two years. Dumb notion

Your opinion is noted.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Couldnt sell beer , no one will come.

Big4Dawg
06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
The odds of attracting an actual minor league club to Starkville are slim. Those teams live on sweet stadium deals and concessions - it'd be a hard sell to convince anyone that Starkville would provide the attendance numbers needed to keep a minor league team afloat. However, a semi-pro team could be a possibility.

I do like the idea of having HS baseball tournaments games there, similar to how colleges use Trustmark Park. I've always though it would be a great idea for High Schools to use college facilities for big games in baseball, football, and basketball. It's a shame that our basketball and football championships are played at The Coliseum and Veterans Memorial - both are at best the 3rd best facility of their kind in the state. However, it'd be tough to take the State Baseball championships out of Trustmark Park.

http://picayuneitem.com/2014/01/possibility-of-moving-the-site-of-football-state-championship-games-discussed-asdfasdf/

Does anyone know if this is happening? I thought it was decided on but can't find an article.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Couldnt sell beer , no one will come.

That's top on the list of loopholes that will be worked out with the city and University. The games will absolutely sell beer.

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
I couldn't see a team being there but I think it would be cool to try and schedule a few games there if they could.