PDA

View Full Version : State of baseball in MS

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 10:10 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, whatever gains we made last year as far as the level of our program or reclaiming our rightful spot as the premier program in the state, have been undone this season. The BearSharks, win or lose against UVA, have matched our accomplishment from last year (I know, not quite, but to the average fan it's practically identical). And they are still playing with a chance to actually do more than we've ever done.

So so much for being #1 in the state. We are now 1a (or 1b).

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
"Reclaim our spot"? When exactly did we lose it?

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Our State is the Auburn/Alabama of college baseball. Let's just accept that and celebrate. MSU and Ole Miss are both capable of being good at the same time. This isn't like football where we are fighting tooth and nail over every recruit. MSU is no less because of what Ole Miss has done. In fact, if Ole Miss and MSU would channel this rivalry correctly, we both could become the college baseball destination of every recruit.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
WTF?? They haven't made it to the championship series yet, so they aren't our equal in that regard. They've been waiting 42 years to make it to omaha. How many times have we been in that time period? And I dgaf what the average fan thinks about their accomplishments. I just hope them preppy racists don't ruin our good name out there.

smootness
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Dramatic much? We are absolutely still #1 in the state. Good grief, people, they've now been to Omaha one time in the last 40 years. Can we calm down a bit?

maroonmania
06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, whatever gains we made last year as far as the level of our program or reclaiming our rightful spot as the premier program in the state, have been undone this season. The BearSharks, win or lose against UVA, have matched our accomplishment from last year (I know, not quite, but to the average fan it's practically identical). And they are still playing with a chance to actually do more than we've ever done.

I think you are being a little overly dramatic. With the level of SEC baseball these days, ANY SEC program, minus maybe Missouri and Auburn could pull off a deep run into the CWS if things go their way. Bianco has a good thing going and has had for quite some time now they just had never made the last step to Omaha. I'm just glad Cohen has us back rolling again as well. No matter the result with OM over the next few days, the OM program isn't going away anytime soon and neither is ours. As long as Bianco is there OM is never going back into the dregs of the college baseball world and we aren't going to be just totally dominant over them. Really just too much parity across all of the SEC.

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Dramatic much? We are absolutely still #1 in the state. Good grief, people, they've now been to Omaha one time in the last 40 years. Can we calm down a bit?

I don't think it's overly dramatic to say they are equal with us in baseball with the potential to reach a level we've never accomplished. I'm not saying anything ridiculous like they've left us in the dust or anything. Just pointing out the obvious. It was easy to claim superiority when they hadn't been to Omaha since color tv was prevalent.
When some random guy asks "Hey you remember that magical run in Omaha that team from Mississippi had?" The response will be "which one? MSU's or OM's?"

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 10:31 AM
"Reclaim our spot"? When exactly did we lose it?

Polk II

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 10:32 AM
I think you are being a little overly dramatic. With the level of SEC baseball these days, ANY SEC program, minus maybe Missouri and Auburn could pull off a deep run into the CWS if things go their way. Bianco has a good thing going and has had for quite some time now they just had never made the last step to Omaha. I'm just glad Cohen has us back rolling again as well. No matter the result with OM over the next few days, the OM program isn't going away anytime soon and neither is ours. As long as Bianco is there OM is never going back into the dregs of the college baseball world and we aren't going to be just totally dominant over them. Really just too much parity across all of the SEC.

You said I was being overly dramatic and then proceeded to make my argument for me. Thanks.

messageboardsuperhero
06-20-2014, 10:34 AM

Thank you. This is their first Omaha trip in 40+ years- we've been about eight times in that same span.

Now, I really don't want them to win the whole thing, but both teams can be successful in baseball at the same time.

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 10:56 AM

He says that the success of one rival is good for both teams. A rising tide lifts all ships.

MsStateBaseball
06-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Their success is based on hiring of Cliff Godwin, who recruited the perfect game sites real hard and the fact they have Jr and Sr in a lot of the spots. Godwin is supposedly leaving after they lose for a HC job. Before he came they were 30-25 they year before.

maroonmania
06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
You said I was being overly dramatic and then proceeded to make my argument for me. Thanks.

Point is you are acting like we somehow got a big upper hand on them based on just last year. That was never the case so it hasn't been UNDONE. Its not like we were ranked in the Top 5 the whole year last year, we just made a run at the right time just like OM is doing this year. In fact, until the last couple of years under Cohen OM is the one that has had the upper hand post-2000 in the State if anyone. But we still felt good because we still had the Omaha thing to hang over their head and now we don't. No, I don't want them to win the NC because I don't want them rubbing it in our faces but they aren't going to get the upper hand on us as a program if they do. In baseball you have one hit wonders win the NC quite regularly but it doesn't automatically make a program a juggernaut. Ask Fresno State.

Harrydawg
06-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I am embarrassed and ashamed of this post/thread.

This is a loser post and mentality

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 11:44 AM

It's realistic. Yes, we have historically had the premier baseball program in the state - but history isn't worth a damn. The fact is the OM has a better baseball team than us this year. It doesn't mean that we've necessarily "lost" our status, it just means that we are going to have to work harder than ever to maintain the success that we are used to. We need to admit that the OM program isn't what it was a decade ago, they are good and we are going to have to do everything that we can to stay in front. Having a rival that is enjoying success isn't fun around the water cooler at work, but it will sure as hell motivate us to be the best we can be.

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 12:03 PM

I knew some wouldn't like this thread/post. But embarrassed? Ashamed? Good grief. I guess the next step will be for someone to call me a closet rebelbearshark. Any takers?

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
It's realistic. Yes, we have historically had the premier baseball program in the state - but history isn't worth a damn. The fact is the OM has a better baseball team than us this year. It doesn't mean that we've necessarily "lost" our status, it just means that we are going to have to work harder than ever to maintain the success that we are used to. We need to admit that the OM program isn't what it was a decade ago, they are good and we are going to have to do everything that we can to stay in front. Having a rival that is enjoying success isn't fun around the water cooler at work, but it will sure as hell motivate us to be the best we can be.

History isn't worth a damn? Its worth a ton to recruits, fans, everyone. If it wasn't, why is history posted to our outfield wall. Why does Bama have a statue of Bear Bryant? Thats stupid to say that history means nothing

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 12:12 PM
History isn't worth a damn? Its worth a ton to recruits, fans, everyone. If it wasn't, why is history posted to our outfield wall. Why does Bama have a statue of Bear Bryant? Thats stupid to say that history means nothing

It sure as hell isn't worth as much as actually winning in the present.

FFF
06-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I knew some wouldn't like this thread/post. But embarrassed? Ashamed? Good grief. I guess the next step will be for someone to call me a closet rebelbearshark. Any takers?

I'm a OM/ULL fan because I said they were good and might beat us all while being told Ross Mitchell would have no problem with ULL's lineup because they aren't in the sec. I'm also apparently glad we lost so I could be right.*** I guess that makes me a loser, too.

DudyDawg
06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
It sure as hell isn't worth as much as actually winning in the present.

What's the present then? He's saying what we did last season doesn't matter, so that would make winning one this year irrelevant completely next season

Bubb Rubb
06-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Our State is the Auburn/Alabama of college baseball. Let's just accept that and celebrate. MSU and Ole Miss are both capable of being good at the same time. This isn't like football where we are fighting tooth and nail over every recruit. MSU is no less because of what Ole Miss has done. In fact, if Ole Miss and MSU would channel this rivalry correctly, we both could become the college baseball destination of every recruit.

You're giving them, and our state, way too much credit. Nobody in our state has won a national championship in baseball. And nobody in our state has a baseball program equal to ours. Ole Miss is good, and they deserve credit for what they are doing this year, but they just haven't accomplished what we have on the diamond. They lose a significant portion of their roster after this year, and they aren't recruiting as well as we are. Just three months ago, they wanted to fire their coach.

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 01:08 PM
What's the present then? He's saying what we did last season doesn't matter, so that would make winning one this year irrelevant completely next season

I'm saying that we can't keep saying that we are the dominant program in the State unless we can prove it on the field. Historically, we have been much better but really over the last decade the 2 programs have been VERY close - and they certainly had a much better team this year. All I'm pointing out is that to remain the "top program" in the State we have to go out and prove it year in and year out. It isn't "defeatist" to admit that the bears are better than us right now, it's a fact. We just need to straighten up and win going forward.

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm confident that with our recruiting we will be just fine. Just fix a few in game decisions and well be good.

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Who's our hitting coach?

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I can count at least two Bears in this thread. How many can you count? Ole Miss being in Omaha has brought more Rebel trolls over here than on a normal week and that's to be expected. Note to the two Rebs in this thread. MSU is not interested in being buddy buddy with you. Go to the store and buy some whiskey so you can throw it on your wife tonight in the yard while watching the game. Quit coming over here and posing as MSU fans to talk about your baseball team with us because all your Rebel boards aren't worth a shit.

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 01:14 PM
I can count at least two Bears in this thread. How many can you count? Ole Miss being in Omaha has brought more Rebel trolls over here than on a normal week and that's to be expected. Note to the two Rebs in this thread. MSU is not interested in being buddy buddy with you. Go to the store and buy some whiskey so you can throw it on your wife tonight in the yard while watching the game. Quit coming over here and posing as MSU fans to talk about your baseball team with us because all your Rebel boards aren't worth a shit.

True to ED form, any comment that doesn't contain irrational hatred for OM and/or irrational love for the dawgs is most certainly written by a bear.

LC Dawg
06-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Even if Ole Miss had won a couple of those Super Regionals in the 2000's I still think our baseball program would be exactly where it is today. I know some people disagree with his coaching on occasion but I feel that John Cohen is the main reason our program is very successful again. Coach Cohen realizes what baseball means to Mississippi State and he quickly restored our program to prominence and I believe this would have happened even if Ole Miss had a couple of recent CWS trips on their resume. What we need to worry about now is our administration giving Coach Cohen what he needs to continue building our program and this means a significant upgrade in facilities. Other schools leaving us in the dust on facilities will hurt us way more than Ole Miss winning a few games in the CWS.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
True to ED form, any comment that doesn't contain irrational hatred for OM and/or irrational love for the dawgs is most certainly written by a bear.

One of the two has outed himself already. I didn't expect you to so quickly but haha. Guess you are a happy Reb right now and you should be. UVA is a damn good team though so good luck. Going to be tough to win two vs them without your juiced bats.

MadDawg
06-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Doesn't matter? I don't think that's a fair assessment of what I said. Look guys, this isn't rocket science. No matter how "equal" to us they have been over the last 2 decades, and you really can't logically argue they haven't been practically equal, we always had the trump card of them not getting to Omaha or talking about Bianco's traditional late-season slump. But we lost that trump card this year. And it will take us a while to get it back, if we ever do.

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 01:23 PM
What the hell is with everyone thinking ole piss douches are posting here? Someone called me a Tsun fan because I only had a few posts...maybe it's because I just joined? It doesn't automatically make me a polo wearing metrosexual douche.

FFF
06-20-2014, 01:45 PM
One of the two has outed himself already. I didn't expect you to so quickly but haha. Guess you are a happy Reb right now and you should be. UVA is a damn good team though so good luck. Going to be tough to win two vs them without your juiced bats.

Yup I'm a secret Blackbear. Got me.***

bannedwayne
06-20-2014, 04:01 PM

You got me. I'll be denting bats and making a new tin foil hat over the weekend, feel free to join.

BossDawg
06-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Ole Miss baseball - the house that Ron Polk built.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 04:12 PM
You got me. I'll be denting bats and making a new tin foil hat over the weekend, feel free to join.

Before today you posted one time since March when you got banned for being a Rebel P.O.S. almost 4 months later and you suddenly show back up and start posting the same Rebel apologist bullshit that got you banned in the first place. Piss off!!!

http://www.elitedawgs.com/search.php?searchid=174792

Percho
06-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm saying that we can't keep saying that we are the dominant program in the State unless we can prove it on the field. Historically, we have been much better but really over the last decade the 2 programs have been VERY close - and they certainly had a much better team this year. All I'm pointing out is that to remain the "top program" in the State we have to go out and prove it year in and year out. It isn't "defeatist" to admit that the bears are better than us right now, it's a fact. We just need to straighten up and win going forward.

I think the one place they have been better than us this year in in their maturity.

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Fn bullshit. Stupid ass post of the summer.

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's overly dramatic to say they are equal with us in baseball with the potential to reach a level we've never accomplished. I'm not saying anything ridiculous like they've left us in the dust or anything. Just pointing out the obvious. It was easy to claim superiority when they hadn't been to Omaha since color tv was prevalent.
When some random guy asks "Hey you remember that magical run in Omaha that team from Mississippi had?" The response will be "which one? MSU's or OM's?"

They had one good fn year. This shit is delusional at best and rebel troll at worst.

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 05:01 PM

They have had ONE good year. They haven't done shit before this and won't do shit after.

FFF
06-20-2014, 05:28 PM
They had one good fn year. This shit is delusional at best and rebel troll at worst.

You guys are really uptight about this... Just because what he said is not all Msu fluff makes him dillusional or a troll?

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 05:39 PM
You guys are really uptight about this... Just because what he said is not all Msu fluff makes him dillusional or a troll?

No because what was said is patently wrong and whoa is ****ing us. Get off the "oh it's not MSU fluff so he's a troll or delusional" this isn't genes page.

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 06:05 PM

Yep

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Yup I'm a secret Blackbear. Got me.***

Yep

Saltydog
06-21-2014, 09:15 AM
haven't been able to get over the hump and get to the CWS til now. If you look at wins/losses, they've been the more consistent program since 2000 or so. YES, it pains me to say that and I hate to give them credit but it's true. If you look at the state of the programs now we're pretty even. They lose a lot this year but still have a very good nucleus of young kids coming back with Robinson, Woodman, Perdzock, Short, Bortles and some good experienced players returning like Orvis, Knight, Lee, Smith, Trent and Weathersby. They'll be pretty decent next year and they continue to recruit well. We should be comparable next year IMO. We're not gonna run off and leave them if that's what anyone thinks.

maroonmania
06-21-2014, 11:18 AM
haven't been able to get over the hump and get to the CWS til now. If you look at wins/losses, they've been the more consistent program since 2000 or so. YES, it pains me to say that and I hate to give them credit but it's true. If you look at the state of the programs now we're pretty even. They lose a lot this year but still have a very good nucleus of young kids coming back with Robinson, Woodman, Perdzock, Short, Bortles and some good experienced players returning like Orvis, Knight, Lee, Smith, Trent and Weathersby. They'll be pretty decent next year and they continue to recruit well. We should be comparable next year IMO. We're not gonna run off and leave them if that's what anyone thinks.

My thoughts exactly. And that was my point in that anyone who thought we were going to just totally derail their program by making one big time post-season run last year was sadly mistaken. And by the same token, one big time post-season run by OM this year is NOT going to set our program under Cohen back either.

State82
06-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Saltydog & maroonmania pretty much summed it up well. UM is basically keeping up with us at present and neither will sprint out to a sustained, big lead over the other. Sure, there will be down times for each where the other will have a significantly better year, maybe two, than the other. We have seen that work on both sides in the past few years. It will be the same in any sport, including football. They are babbling idiots if they think Hugh Freeze or anyone else will take off and leave Mullen and our program in their dust. And we won't do it to them either. Not for the long haul anyway. Now, one thing that would give us a pretty significant boost in the baseball situation would be a sparkling, bright, shiny new state of the art facility. That is the reason that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Bamboo
06-22-2014, 12:16 AM

This is the stupidest posts you have ever made for so many reasons that I'm not even going to list them. Get some sleep dude.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 03:13 AM
One thing nobody talks about with Ole Miss- they only start one regular from Mississippi. And that's Lee. Yeah- I know Knight started yesterday, but he wasn't their regular catcher for most of the season. None of their weekend starters are from Mississippi, and most of their bullpen is from Mississippi.

My point is they need someone like a Godwin to recruit well out of state to be successful.

That's a HUGE difference between them and us.

And for the record, our CWS team last year started three guys from Mississippi- Rea, Renfroe, and Demarcus. And it would have been four if Trey Porter had been healthy. Lindgren was a weekend starter for us much of last year and then you had Holder- all from Mississippi.

maroonmania
06-22-2014, 06:26 AM
One thing nobody talks about with Ole Miss- they only start one regular from Mississippi. And that's Lee. Yeah- I know Knight started yesterday, but he wasn't their regular catcher for most of the season. None of their weekend starters are from Mississippi, and most of their bullpen is from Mississippi.

My point is they need someone like a Godwin to recruit well out of state to be successful.

That's a HUGE difference between them and us.

And for the record, our CWS team last year started three guys from Mississippi- Rea, Renfroe, and Demarcus. And it would have been four if Trey Porter had been healthy. Lindgren was a weekend starter for us much of last year and then you had Holder- all from Mississippi.

And we pretty much treat Alabama like a home state for us. If you add the AL guys with our MS guys that is a pretty good chunk of our team.