Here's a video of his first AA dinger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJswdYX2GIY

ETA: My fingers aren't working....

Coach34
06-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Now we'll see if he has what it takes

Political Hack
06-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Pitching in triple A will be consistently great. That's where I think you'll see if his numbers hold up.

smootness
06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Pitching in triple A will be consistently great. That's where I think you'll see if his numbers hold up.

This is what people said about AA, too, though. And it's only been 2 games, obviously we don't know yet. But AA is usually where you separate the pretenders from the real hitters. If he hits at AA like he did at A+, then he's going to be fine. AA generally has the better concentration of big-time prospects. AAA, you see more junk pitchers and guys who are in all reality AAAA guys.

Personally, I think he's going to be an absolute beast. He has all the ability you could possibly want as a baseball player, and he has a great swing. The only question was whether or not he would end up developing the pitch recognition and patience, and you've already seen signs of him doing this.

Bo Darville
06-20-2014, 10:37 AM
The only question was whether or not he would end up developing the pitch recognition and patience, and you've already seen signs of him doing this.

Agreed. His question marks were always strikeouts, batting average, and OBP. He needed work on patience, pitch recognition, and a better feel for the strikezone. One thing is that much of that can be improved with consistent reps. Minor League ball plays tons of games. There is a lot of difference in playing 70 games and playing 120. He only got the everyday reps at MSU for 2 years. The biggest mistake for Renfroe would be for the Padres to stick him somewhere (AAA or MLB) where he is a bench player. He needs to play every day. Don't promote the guy unless he has a spot to play every day. Of course, first round draft picks are generally going to be put on the field every day regardless, so that shouldn't be a problem.

justwin
06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Looks like someone has taught him to get his front foot down in time & get rid of that high step he was doing for 3 years in Vegas. That pitch was high & inside...Good for hunter & congrats to whomever his helping him refine his mechanics.

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I saw where it said that college pitching is about the same or alittle worse than AA but I can't imagine that being right.

Coach34
06-20-2014, 02:03 PM
I saw where it said that college pitching is about the same or alittle worse than AA but I can't imagine that being right.

weekend SEC pitching is easily High A to AA depending who takes the mound

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Ok so with alittle time Hunter should dominate I wold assume

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 04:54 PM
He prob won't see triple A. This is where they decide if he is going to make the jump. If he stays hot he will be in San Diego in a month. If not he will stay in AA. Spring training he gets a roster spot.

Todd4State
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Maybe I'm just used to how the Cardinals do it- but I think more than likely he spends the rest of the season and AA, and then this fall goes to the Arizona Fall League, goes to MLB camp and then starts in AAA before coming up to San Diego next year.

I bet he gets an invite to the Future's Game next month though.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Maybe I'm just used to how the Cardinals do it- but I think more than likely he spends the rest of the season and AA, and then this fall goes to the Arizona Fall League, goes to MLB camp and then starts in AAA before coming up to San Diego next year.

I bet he gets an invite to the Future's Game next month though.

The Cardinals are a little different than most other organizations because they have drafted so well that they need AAA as a place to put prospects. For most organizations that draft average or poorly, AAA is a holding tank for older 4A type players. However, Cardinals MLB team is loaded and they have a ton of prospects, so their is nowhere else to put them but in AAA and AA.