PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Floyd

msstate7
06-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I think I'm gonna be sick. Gavin threw 6+ innings of 1 hit ball and leaves with immediate swelling on his elbow. I'm no doctor so I have no idea, but doesn't look good.

Espn said braves and Yankees are favorites for David price. DP may have just became a priority. I'd give wood a few starts (assuming Floyd is out) before making a decision on price. Really, really don't wanna lose wood, gilmartin, and more for DP

KB21
06-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I think I'm gonna be sick. Gavin threw 6+ innings of 1 hit ball and leaves with immediate swelling on his elbow. I'm no doctor so I have no idea, but doesn't look good.

Espn said braves and Yankees are favorites for David price. DP may have just became a priority. I'd give wood a few starts (assuming Floyd is out) before making a decision on price. Really, really don't wanna lose wood, gilmartin, and more for DP

Gilmartin was traded for Doumit.

Based on the photo I saw, it looks like the swelling was around his olecranon bursa. Hard to tell based on a still photo if it is more serious than that.

I'm afraid that summer and fall travel ball leagues and these guys pitching year round is going to have to end before we start seeing pitcher stay healthy down the road. They are wearing their ligaments out at a young age.

TheRef
06-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Atlanta Braves
@Braves
Gavin Floyd's x-rays revealed a fracture of the olecranon. He will return to ATL for evaluation by Braves docs tomorrow.

9:17pm ? 19 Jun 2014 ? Twitter for iPhone

@Braves
Floyd will be placed on the DL and a corresponding move will be announced tomorrow.

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2014, 09:20 PM

Based on the photo I saw, it looks like the swelling was around his olecranon bursa. Hard to tell based on a still photo if it is more serious than that.

I'm afraid that summer and fall travel ball leagues and these guys pitching year round is going to have to end before we start seeing pitcher stay healthy down the road. They are wearing their ligaments out at a young age.

Yep. And now we're stuck with the steaming pile that's Aaron Harang. And to think the Braves could've had Stratton instead of Gilmartin.

msstate7
06-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Wow I whiffed on gilmartin...

Reading around I've heard ruptured bursa sack can cause immediate swelling. Haven't found out if that's a major injury though. Any doctors?

msstate7
06-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Atlanta Braves
@Braves
Gavin Floyd's x-rays revealed a fracture of the olecranon. He will return to ATL for evaluation by Braves docs tomorrow.

@Braves
Floyd will be placed on the DL and a corresponding move will be announced tomorrow.

Ok, so what's that mean?

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Atlanta Braves
@Braves

@Braves

Serious question: Has Wood been down long enough to be recalled? I think it's something like 10 days, unless they've scrapped that rule. Might want to look at moving Hale into the rotation, too.

msstate7
06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Serious question: Has Wood been down long enough to be recalled? I think it's something like 10 days, unless they've scrapped that rule. Might want to look at moving Hale into the rotation, too.

He wouldn't be needed till Wednesday anyway. I'd call up a reliever till then

TheRef
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
@Braves
For those wondering what the "olecranon" is, here you go: oak.ctx.ly/r/18ysh

9:26pm ? 19 Jun 2014 ? Adobe? Social

https://www.google.com/webhp?espv=2&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&partnerId=as_atl_20140620_26361676&sourceid=chrome-instant#q=what%20is%20the%20olecranon

TheRef
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Basically, he has a ulnar fracture....gonna be a while, guys.

KB21
06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Yep. And now we're stuck with the steaming pile that's Aaron Harang. And to think the Braves could've had Stratton instead of Gilmartin.

Wrong draft. Stratton was drafted one pick before Atlanta in 2012.

KB21
06-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Wow I whiffed on gilmartin...

Reading around I've heard ruptured bursa sack can cause immediate swelling. Haven't found out if that's a major injury though. Any doctors?

Looks to be pretty serious now. Will be in a long arm cast for probably 4-6 weeks. If it isn't displaced, he may not need surgery.

msstate7
06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Basically, he has a ulnar fracture....gonna be a while, guys.

So 2 months? Season?

TheRef
06-19-2014, 09:41 PM
So 2 months? Season?

Depends on the extent of the fracture and the exact location...no way to know without that information. Should know more info tomorrow.

msstate7
06-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Looks to be pretty serious now. Will be in a long arm cast for probably 4-6 weeks. If it isn't displaced, he may not need surgery.

So best case around 5 weeks with no throwing. Wonder how long it takes a pitcher to get arm right after an extended rest like that

dawgs
06-19-2014, 09:44 PM

I want msu guys to succeed in the bigs as much as anyone, but Stratton ain't doing much in the minors right now. If I'm a braves fan, I'm not worried about missing him in the draft right now.

trob115
06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I would expect it to be season ending unfortunately. He was throwing really good tonight too. I hate that for Floyd and the braves. I imagine we see wood called up tomorrow.

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
He wouldn't be needed till Wednesday anyway. I'd call up a reliever till then

Knowing Wren, this is probably exactly what we'll do. And I think it's the right move.

KB21
06-19-2014, 09:48 PM
If I had to guess, he will likely go on the 60 day DL.

BoomBoom
06-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Doesn't apply when recalled to replace an injured player

Dawg61
06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Guess Harang is staying in the rotation for now. Damn the Braves are just snake bite like crazy with SP this year. Did y'all piss off the Ghana doctor of death? Giants are in a downward spiral ever since Pagan got hurt. They are playing awful without him at the top of the order and they have zero replacements worth a shit. Deja Vu from last year all over again. In one week the Giants lead has gone from 9.5 to 3.5 games.

msstate7
06-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Guess Harang is staying in the rotation for now. Damn the Braves are just snake bite like crazy with SP this year. Did y'all piss off the Ghana doctor of death? Giants are in a downward spiral ever since Pagan got hurt. They are playing awful without him at the top of the order and they have zero replacements worth a shit. Deja Vu from last year all over again. In one week the Giants lead has gone from 9.5 to 3.5 games.

Sounds like y'all need bj in cf. Let's talk trade**

Dawg61
06-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Sounds like y'all need bj in cf. Let's talk trade**

I'd give you Cain and a top prospect for Heyward.

TheRef
06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Atlanta Braves
@Braves
RHP Gavin Floyd (fractured elbow) has been placed on the 15-day DL and LHP Ryan Buchter (#60) has been recalled from Gwinnett.

12:15pm ? 20 Jun 2014 ? Twitter for iPhone

The Croom Diaries
06-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I would trade Wood for Price. He is a bona fide ace, Wood is not...yet, and probably won't be. Without a guy like Price we aren't winning in the postseason so we're just spinning our wheels until then. Price could help win the division and potentially win a division series, which we haven't done in 13 years.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Can the Braves afford Price? DP is going to attract a $100+ mill contract.

msstate7
06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Can the Braves afford Price? DP is going to attract a $100+ mill contract.

Very unlikely the braves could sign him to extension. If we hit the ball better, I'd consider it. We don't hit though so I'm not in favor. Price would win us east for sure, but not so sure after that. Too expensive...

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Very unlikely the braves could sign him to extension. If we hit the ball better, I'd consider it. We don't hit though so I'm not in favor. Price would win us east for sure, but not so sure after that. Too expensive...

You could rent him for the season and see what happens. Giants did that with Beltran once. It was a disaster. Gave up Zach Wheeler for him and now Wheeler is a SP for the Mets and the Giants have nothing to show for it today. Can't win em all though.

BulldogDX55
06-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey msstate7, any chance that you could mention in thread titles that it is a braves thread? I don't care if you make em, but if you can label them as such like the soccer threads, that would be great.

War Machine Dawg
06-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey msstate7, any chance that you could mention in thread titles that it is a braves thread? I don't care if you make em, but if you can label them as such like the soccer threads, that would be great.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm1_zps062726fe.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm1_zps062726fe.jpg.html)

War Machine Dawg
06-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Exactly. Not to mention that we already have an ace - Teheran. Dude has been among the best pitchers in baseball so far. We're better off keeping Wood unless MLB will finally stop being corrupt and let Arthur Blank buy the Braves so we can have real money to spend for a guy like Price.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Why can't Blank buy the Braves right now?

trob115
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't expect the braves to be a player for DP or Smardjza sp? They both are going to bring a premium in prospects or young players and frankly, the braves farm system is not as strong as it used to be. The braves desperately need to develop some outfielders as well as 3b's. The braves have are going to be in a tough situation after this season in regards to starting pitching and the CF position. If BJ upton could ever get back to his .240 30hr status that would be amazing, but I am afraid he's another poor sign.

Dawg61
06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Giants and Royals are the frontrunners for Samardzija right now.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/18/the-giants-and-royals-were-scouting-jeff-samardzija-last-night/

dawgs
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't expect the braves to be a player for DP or Smardjza sp? They both are going to bring a premium in prospects or young players and frankly, the braves farm system is not as strong as it used to be. The braves desperately need to develop some outfielders as well as 3b's. The braves have are going to be in a tough situation after this season in regards to starting pitching and the CF position. If BJ upton could ever get back to his .240 30hr status that would be amazing, but I am afraid he's another poor sign.

Jason hammel is the real bargain. He's not an ace, but he's a solid middle rotation guy and will come much much cheaper than samardzija and price.

msstate7
06-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Huge win tonight. Worried about kimbrel. Minor really, really pitched well. Jamie has electric stuff. Gattis with 19 game hit streak. Got a chance to win series with our ace on the mound tomorrow. I feel much better about our team right now esp considering the phillies are beating up on cards too.

(Random thoughts after a huge win. Sorry)

trob115
06-21-2014, 07:10 AM
New pen guys looked really good last night too. I am hoping that wood is gonna come back to the rotation in strong form Wednesday.