PDA

View Full Version : CHANGING THE PERCEPTION OF MSU FOOTBALL: DAK PRESCOTT

662dawg
06-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Hope you enjoy

http://makeitrainsports.com/football/changing-the-percepton/

RC3
06-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm beggining to get concerned that we may be putting Dak Prescott in a tough position. Calling him the savior of our football program and a likely invite to NYC for heisman ceremonies is bound to put some tough pressure on the kid. He may very well overcome that pressure, and meet these lofty expectations. BUT I'm
Not sure it's fair of us to expect him to do so at this point. He's human. I guarantee you he will make mistakes this year and I don't want our fanbase to turn on him if he has some missteps along his way as he develops. I love the kid and have all the faith in the world but I want to be fair to him.
Just some thoughts

BossDawg
06-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Yeah I'm not really pumped about the Dak love either. Just seems like a big jinx to me. I'd be a lot more optimistic if these people so high on Dak would cool their burners for just a bit.

662dawg
06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your input & your opinion is definitely not wrong.

However, I feel Dak is the type of kid that can handle the pressure.

He's an humble young man. He doesn't let stuff go to his head.

And I agree, he will make his share of mistakes. Every QB does. I do believe he's strong enough to overcome them.

1998Dawg
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Dak may be my role model. And hell, I'm 20+ yrs older than him! LOL

RC3
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I believe he probably is too but before I go off proclaiming he is the savior, I'm gonna let him go do his thing without adding pressure from our own fanbase. I just don't think it's fair to him at this point

662dawg
06-19-2014, 01:07 PM
I believe he probably is too but before I go off proclaiming he is the savior, I'm gonna let him go do his thing without adding pressure from our own fanbase. I just don't think it's fair to him at this point

I understand your thoughts. We have been snake bit an awful lot lol.

662dawg
06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Lol. He's a great guy from a great family.

BulldogBear
06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I wish we would back off and let the Bear media keep convincing themselves and everyone else how much we are gonna "suck" this year.

BulldogBear
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM
What I don't want to see happen is for us the blow away USM, UAB, USA and then go into BR, a tough place to play any year, and possibly lose a tough one. Then the cfb nation says "I told you so." And then that get in the the players' minds and the season loses potential. We may lose to LSU. I ain't worried about that. I'm worried about a bunch of hype and then deflation if we lose our first conf game because it's one of the toughest ones.

RC3
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM
I wish we would back off and let the Bear media keep convincing themselves and everyone else how much we are gonna "suck" this year.

thats what i am thinking as well. I love that we arent getting any hype. anyone who has been a ms state fan for very long understands that we almost always underachieve when we are hyped. our best bet is to fly under the radar....

Maroons
06-19-2014, 01:19 PM
He needs to make some progress with accuracy and decision making, but there's no reason to not expect him to do so based on what we've seen so far. Obviously needs to stay healthy - but he should have a huge year if he does.

662dawg
06-19-2014, 01:27 PM
He needs to make some progress with accuracy and decision making, but there's no reason to not expect him to do so based on what we've seen so far. Obviously needs to stay healthy - but he should have a huge year if he does.

I agree.

mic
06-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Everyone sit back enjoy everything that is being said about the kid and get ur popcorn ready for this season...

chainedup_Dawg
06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm beggining to get concerned that we may be putting Dak Prescott in a tough position. Calling him the savior of our football program and a likely invite to NYC for heisman ceremonies is bound to put some tough pressure on the kid. He may very well overcome that pressure, and meet these lofty expectations. BUT I'm
Not sure it's fair of us to expect him to do so at this point. He's human. I guarantee you he will make mistakes this year and I don't want our fanbase to turn on him if he has some missteps along his way as he develops. I love the kid and have all the faith in the world but I want to be fair to him.
Just some thoughts

I have shared these thoughts as well. I honestly believe though that Dak is one of those guys that cares a lot more about the pub his team as a whole is getting than the pub he, himself is. If what we feel is true about the kid, and I believe it is, he is probably pissed that State isn't getting more love and working his ass off to prove them wrong. At least, I hope that's the case.

662dawg
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I have shared these thoughts as well. I honestly believe though that Dak is one of those guys that cares a lot more about the pub his team as a whole is getting than the pub he, himself is. If what we feel is true about the kid, and I believe it is, he is probably pissed that State isn't getting more love and working his ass off to prove them wrong. At least, I hope that's the case.

There's no hope to it. This IS the case. Dak is stronger than he's ever been. He is working hard and getting better for his TEAM.

That's what makes this guy so special. It's always about his TEAM and not himself.

MSU97
06-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Lol you said it!
The whole idea of to much pressure is a very real issue but I do believe he overcomes that pressure and that's what separates him from just regular players and puts him on that trip to NYC!

drunkernhelldawg
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Can't put the hype back in the hat, but handling it is part of what being a big time player requires.

Reason2succeed
06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
I totally disagree with most of you and so does Dan Mullen. Pressure is real. These young men have already lived under pressure and will continue to live under pressure for the rest of their lives. Expectations are raised and I don't apologize for that. I'm not preparing myself for failure no matter how many times I experience it. Do you think Bama fans worry about putting too much pressure on their team? Hell no. Shoot for the stars. Hit the moon. I'm just saying that it doesn't help your team at all to lower your expectations or remove pressure. This team is loaded and there ought to be realistic expectations.

RC3
06-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Realistic expectations are not an 11 win season and a heisman trophy. That would be great but I'd urge caution in expecting such. We aren't bama. They've won double digit national titles. It's fair for them to expect that of their team. We aren't there(yet?)

662dawg
06-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I totally disagree with most of you and so does Dan Mullen. Pressure is real. These young men have already lived under pressure and will continue to live under pressure for the rest of their lives. Expectations are raised and I don't apologize for that. I'm not preparing myself for failure no matter how many times I experience it. Do you think Bama fans worry about putting too much pressure on their team? Hell no. Shoot for the stars. Hit the moon. I'm just saying that it doesn't help your team at all to lower your expectations or remove pressure. This team is loaded and there ought to be realistic expectations.

Very well said.

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
thats what i am thinking as well. I love that we arent getting any hype. anyone who has been a ms state fan for very long understands that we almost always underachieve when we are hyped. our best bet is to fly under the radar....

If we want to be a big time program, we have to learn how to play and win with expectations. Period. Until we can do that, we'll never be anything more than a mediocre-to-bad program.

RC3
06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
If we want to be a big time program, we have to learn how to play and win with expectations. Period. Until we can do that, we'll never be anything more than a mediocre-to-bad program.

While that's true, it doesn't happen over night. To me, it's something you have to somewhat earn. We have no reason to expect to necessarily win the west this year. We should have a chance to compete for it and I think out expectations this year should be to compete for the west but to expect to win 11 or something ridiculous is not warranted yet. We need confidence, I agree, but we need to stay grounded as a fanbase right now. I don't have a woeisme attitude but at the same time I'm hesitant to place lofty expectations on this club. We may very well win it all, and I'll be as pumped as anyone but I'm not going to take the attitude that we are failures if we dont

Reason2succeed
06-20-2014, 08:19 AM
I don't think anyone is EXPECTING a 11 win season or EXPECTING a Heisman trophy. First, the Heisman is a subjective award so there can be no fault on Dak if he doesn't get it or even get close. But we CAN expect to beat someone other than a bottom feeding team. Out of Bama, Auburn, TAMU, and LSU I expect our team to win AT LEAST one of these games. If we don't then we cannot and should not talk to anyone about how our program is progressing because they will laugh in our face. We have to show it on the field. I am putting pressure on Mullen and this team to do it this year. Having said that I am going to support them regardless. Hell, I've bled maroon and white this long. I might as well bleed maroon and white till I die.

RC3
06-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I don't think anyone is EXPECTING a 11 win season or EXPECTING a Heisman trophy. First, the Heisman is a subjective award so there can be no fault on Dak if he doesn't get it or even get close. But we CAN expect to beat someone other than a bottom feeding team. Out of Bama, Auburn, TAMU, and LSU I expect our team to win AT LEAST one of these games. If we don't then we cannot and should not talk to anyone about how our program is progressing because they will laugh in our face. We have to show it on the field. I am putting pressure on Mullen and this team to do it this year. Having said that I am going to support them regardless. Hell, I've bled maroon and white this long. I might as well bleed maroon and white till I die.

I think its fair to expect to beat one of the teams youve listed....

justwin
06-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Agree. Let's pump the brakes & see if he can make it through a season healthy and beat some teams in the west. Yes, his story is inspiring though

Just some thoughts

Dawgsrule
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm worried about the pressure too but if anyone can handle it Dak can. Just pray that he stays healthy. That's the key.

I seen it dawg
06-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Just some thoughts

Dak is a guy that can handle as much as we put on him. And he relishes it. He wants it.