PDA

View Full Version : Electric (street legal) carts on campus

Harrydawg
06-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I am very seriously considering this investment for moving in and around campus (from a nearby condo).

For those of you that have experience doing this - the advantages are obvious.....

What are the negatives? Do we foresee a time where they would not be allowed on campus? Is a parking pass necessary for an electric cart?

Also, if anyone has experiences on buying electric carts that'd also be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback

CadaverDawg
06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Picture of these?

Homedawg
06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Just know for avoiding a DUI, they don't help in this town. I know several people who needed a lawyer bc they got one last year on a legal or illegal golf cart.

scottycameron
06-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Golf digest had a good article about the DUI's. Included an interview with Widespread's manager who is a member at Old Natchez in Franklin TN and drove a cart in a lake during a night golf tourney.
But back to the point, I think you missed the golden age of buying a golf cart. There was a huge tax write off for a while for electric cars (as long as the carts were street legal, i.e. turn signals, light, seat belts they were considered an electric car). You could basically buy a cart and write the entire price off and in effect get it for free. I know a lot of folks who did this and I wanted to but didn't do it. Look into what the write off is now. There are some companies that make them especially to qualify for the write off. As far as being allowed they are allowed anywhere a car is allowed as in they are by definition an electric car.

Harrydawg
06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
No doubt and good point - same road rules apply.

scottycameron
06-18-2014, 10:57 PM
No doubt and good point - same road rules apply.

same road rules apply because the law states a motorized vehicle. Your driver's license is a license to operate a motorized vehicle on pubic roads. A DUI is operating a motorized vehicle under the influence on public roads. Not just a car, any motorized vehicle. A bicycle with an electric motor on it on a public road will qualify for a dui. I have a friend in texas who bragged about getting this little moped thing because the cops couldn't mess with him as far as drinking and driving goes. It was his escape route for drinking and driving. This is in Austin. I didn't say anything, but he is dead wrong. Golf cart, moped, it doesn't matter. If it's motorized you can be busted.
Here's another very crazy fact, that I disagree with completely but apparently holds water. If you are drinking with open containers while playing golf in a golf cart on a public course you COULD be arrested for open container and if you are over the .08 limit you could get a dui. ON THE GOLF COURSE PLAYING GOLF. That's insane to me. Golf digest said this would never happen unless there was somebody on the course acting so bad that they called the cops but if that happened they could get a dui. Can you imagine?

DawgHouseUnited
06-19-2014, 08:18 AM
I am very seriously considering this investment for moving in and around campus (from a nearby condo).

For those of you that have experience doing this - the advantages are obvious.....

What are the negatives? Do we foresee a time where they would not be allowed on campus? Is a parking pass necessary for an electric cart?

Also, if anyone has experiences on buying electric carts that'd also be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback

I don't really know, but if it's a street-legal motor vehicle, I'd imagine that they'd require a parking pass, regardless of the size/fuel type. Do they require parking passes for motorcycles?

I'd also guess that they wouldn't start banning them unless people went crazy and tore up the drill field with one. Smaller, electric carts are "green" vehicles, aren't they?

DawgHouseUnited
06-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Picture of these?

http://bobsclassics.com/sold/02g1.jpg

I know an older fellow who drives around town in something like this.

RossDawg82
06-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Just know for avoiding a DUI, they don't help in this town. I know several people who needed a lawyer bc they got one last year on a legal or illegal golf cart.

When I was in College I lived downtown, and I bet I saw at least a dozen people a year get DUI's after game days on carts.

Dawgbite
06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
If you are a student or staff then you are required to have a permit for parking. For game weekends you do not need a pass as long as you park it in the cart designated areas and do not take up a parking space for an automobile.