PDA

View Full Version : Should braves replace walker?

msstate7
06-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Saw last night where the Royals replaced their hitting coach about 15 games ago and the team batting average, hits, runs, etc. has taken off. They have won 9 straight and have been playing very well since the change.

Too bad the Braves won't replace Walker. At what point does the "team" become more important than one positional coach?

(Taken from another board)

I think they should replace him ASAP. Whether it's his fault or not, the team isn't hitting and situational hitting makes Cohen feel better about ours this year. We can't replace all our hitters, but we can and should replace walker.

War Machine Dawg
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
No. He just recently helped Gattis tweak his stance and Gattis has become one of the hottest hitters in MLB since then. I don't understand what people want from Walker. There is literally no one on the planet capable of fixing Dan Uggla. He was NEVER a good hitter and now his power has evaporated. That isn't Walker's fault, it's the erosion of Uggla's skills.

As for BJ, his swing needs a complete overhaul. But how many MLB hitters have you ever seen completely overhaul their mechanics, especially after 8 years of service? I'd hazard to say none. It's kinda like a QB trying to completely overhaul his mechanics. He's done it so long that it may work for a while, but eventually he'll revert back to what he's been doing his entire life.

Simmons has been a solid contact hitter and shown some pop. CJ nearly won the batting title last season. Freeman is among the elite hitters in baseball. Justin Upton is looking like he might put together a complete season this year. Heyward's trend in his career has been 1 good year followed by 1 bad year. This is a bad year. Plus, he's out of position in the order at leadoff and has BJ for "protection."

Walker was highly regarded when he was hired and I think he's done a good job, considering what he was given to work with. If anyone needs to go, it's Frank Wren for getting shitty players and giving them even worse contracts so we can't get rid of them. And let's not let Fredi off the hook for running guys like Uggla & BJ out there every night instead of benching them like any sane manager would do. That makes Walker look worse than the job he's doing, too.