PDA

View Full Version : A little outside perspective about our football program...

CadaverDawg
06-17-2014, 10:00 PM
So I'm at a conference this week for work, and there are guys from all over the country here. A bunch of us were talking football today, and one of the guys has a brother that started for LSU a few years back. He asked me if I was a fan of MSU or Ole miss, and when I said State, he said "My brother always said that MSU was always the game they were the most sore afterwards. He said MSU has always been a QB away from being one of the best in the SEC because they are so physical. My brother always said after he graduated, that if he had to choose one other defense to be a part of....it would have been Mississippi State's."

So then I was talking to two guys (one from Minnesota and one from Tennessee). They asked about our rivalry with Ole miss, and the guy from Minnesota says "haven't you guys dominated Ole miss all the way back to the Jackie Sherrill days?"....and before I could answer, the Tennessee fan says, "yea, MSU has won like 5 or 6 straight, right?". And of course, I nodded and said "yea, something like that....we've been kicking their ass so long I lost count" ( and I may or may not have told them I was kidding about that last part)

Finally some smart and knowledgeable sports fans, so I thought I would share.

RougeDawg
06-17-2014, 10:10 PM
These guys must do their own research, and not rely on ESPN and magazine outlets to get their SEC football info.

starkvegasdawg
06-17-2014, 10:12 PM
But but but we're just the little brothers with the inferiority complex. The great and mighty bears are the ones nationally relevant. If you don't believe it just ask one. Why their eyes will mist right up talking about Archie and his boy that followed in his footsteps. And St. Vaught the Exhaulted. Yessiree, back in the days when an OL dang near weighed 200 lbs and the entire team was as white as flour they were a sight to see. They'll still gather round the table covered in cold chicken strips under the chandelier in the grove on fall Saturdays and listen to old Grandpappy tell about the good old days while they drink Wild Turkey and chant hotty toddy with their arms around each others' necks.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2014, 10:15 PM
These guys must do their own research, and not rely on ESPN and magazine outlets to get their SEC football info.

Yep.

I did have a guy say that Ole Miss had some great uniforms.

I told him that probably means more to the guys in that fan base than a good comment about their team's play on the field would.

godlluB
06-17-2014, 10:16 PM
I remember reading somewhere a few years ago where some SEC players were being interviewed and said the same thing about being sore after playing MSU. The players being interviewed were either from Alabama or LSU, I don't remember for sure which.

RougeDawg
06-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I remember reading somewhere a few years ago where some SEC players were being interviewed and said the same thing about being sore after playing MSU. The players being interviewed were either from Alabama or LSU, I don't remember for sure which.

If it was same thing I remember reading, I believe it was Bama players at that time. We have always previously been one domensional on offense. Run until you have to pass. Now we have the ayat and players to bring it on offense from multiple directions, so defenses can't sit "dead red" on stopping the run.

FFF
06-18-2014, 06:26 AM

Even if you hate Croom, you have to give him the fact that his power running game was downright punishing to a defense (even if you did know where the ball was going). Not to mention Ellis Johnson was coaching defense that year. We were the most physical team in the SEC, bar none, in 2007. We were also probably one of the luckiest... The UK and Alabama games were the best display of how physical we were that year on both sides of the ball.

Covercorner2
06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
If it was same thing I remember reading, I believe it was Bama players at that time. We have always previously been one domensional on offense. Run until you have to pass. Now we have the ayat and players to bring it on offense from multiple directions, so defenses can't sit "dead red" on stopping the run.

It was after last year's Bama game....

messageboardsuperhero
06-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Even if you hate Croom, you have to give him the fact that his power running game was downright punishing to a defense (even if you did know where the ball was going). Not to mention Ellis Johnson was coaching defense that year. We were the most physical team in the SEC, bar none, in 2007. We were also probably one of the luckiest... The UK and Alabama games were the best display of how physical we were that year on both sides of the ball.

LSU won the national title that year with Glenn Dorsey on defense and running the ball with Hester on offense- they were definitely more physical than us.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
It was after last year's Bama game....

I remember that they asked Alabama what they thought of msu. Response: "theyre Notre Dame"

I didnt see that as a compliment. Weve always been a physical team but since mullen has arrived, we are less physical it seems. Still physical but not quite as smash mouth as when we were 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Reason2succeed
06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
As a program we MUST make that jump. I believe Mullen is the coach. I believe THIS is the year that we make the turn. We have to knock off a perennial program to get the ESPN love. While we have beat Ole Miss the bears have been better against Alabama and LSU. That's why they are still getting national love over State. Once we begin becoming a threat to beat Bama, LSU, Auburn, and TAMU every year ESPN will be forced to show us love.

dawgindothan
06-18-2014, 10:41 AM
the bears have been better against Alabama and LSU

LSU, yes. But you may want to check the bearz record against AL. It's pathetic.

Bottom line..... we really, really need to beat AL, LSU, or AU this year. I'm not getting my hopes up against AL in Ttown. LSU sets up well for us in a lot of ways, but the game is in Red Stick. AU is going to be good, but the game is in Starkville. We must find a way to win one of those two. A win against TAM would be very nice and would create some media buzz, but I wouldn't be surprised to see TAM have a 7-5 type season.

I'm supremely confident we're going 4-0 nonconference and pretty confident we're going 3-0 against UK, VU, and Ark. I think we'll get at least one more win, and the two most likely candidates are TAM and the Egg Bowl. But to have a truly special season we need to knock off AL, LSU, or AU (or TAM if they turn out to be legitimately good - but I don't think they will). 8-4 is nothing to sneeze at, but it'll also be just more of the same (beat who we're supposed to beat, lose to who we're supposed to lose to).

msudawg1200
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Since the modern SEC was created,1992, we are 12-10 against the Bears. 13-10 since Jackie. That's why the Bears hate Jackie so much, especially older ones, because Jackie not only caught them, he passed them and they can't stand it. Bear fans like to brag about the 16 game difference in the series. Most of those wins came before facemasks and black players. I played JUCO ball with a few Louisiana boys who were big LSU fans. They all said that Ole Miss fans they knew all act like Ole Miss is so much better than us, but they always call them out with our recent domination of the last 20 or so years and it immediately shuts them up. Pathetic, sad sack Bears.

smootness
06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
While we have beat Ole Miss the bears have been better against Alabama and LSU.

We have absolutely been better against Alabama than Ole Miss has. The team they upset more often is LSU, ours is Alabama, at least until Saban turned them into a juggernaut...but there hasn't been really anybody upsetting them since then.

smootness
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
LSU won the national title that year with Glenn Dorsey on defense and running the ball with Hester on offense- they were definitely more physical than us.

They were better by running a similarly physical gameplan, but they weren't more physical than we were. More talent, but not more physical. All we did on offense was hit you in the mouth and pound Dixon. And on defense, we couldn't stop your passing game that well but we would come at your OL.

msudawg1200
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
As a program we MUST make that jump. I believe Mullen is the coach. I believe THIS is the year that we make the turn. We have to knock off a perennial program to get the ESPN love. While we have beat Ole Miss the bears have been better against Alabama and LSU. That's why they are still getting national love over State. Once we begin becoming a threat to beat Bama, LSU, Auburn, and TAMU every year ESPN will be forced to show us love.
The Bears suck against Bama. They haven't beaten them but 3 times since 1977. From 1996-2007 we were 6-6 against Bama. Even the crappiest Bama teams, 2000 3-8 team beat the 7-4 Bears 45-7, have beaten the crap out of Ole Miss. I've had many Bear fans admit that we play way better against Bama, and they play better against LSU.

BulldogBear
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
LSU, yes. But you may want to check the bearz record against AL. It's pathetic.

Bottom line..... we really, really need to beat AL, LSU, or AU this year. I'm not getting my hopes up against AL in Ttown. LSU sets up well for us in a lot of ways, but the game is in Red Stick. AU is going to be good, but the game is in Starkville. We must find a way to win one of those two. A win against TAM would be very nice and would create some media buzz, but I wouldn't be surprised to see TAM have a 7-5 type season.

I'm supremely confident we're going 4-0 nonconference and pretty confident we're going 3-0 against UK, VU, and Ark. I think we'll get at least one more win, and the two most likely candidates are TAM and the Egg Bowl. But to have a truly special season we need to knock off AL, LSU, or AU (or TAM if they turn out to be legitimately good - but I don't think they will). 8-4 is nothing to sneeze at, but it'll also be just more of the same (beat who we're supposed to beat, lose to who we're supposed to lose to).

Yep. We've beat Bama 6 times since 1996, twice at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Ole Miss has beaten them only 7 times since the beginning of time. Some perspective. Since 1992 when we BOTH play Alabama each and every year, we've won 6 times, 2 of those times in Tuscaloosa. In the same frame, the Bears have won just 2, both in Oxford. Only one of their wins was NOT their best team in the last 40 years. Five of ours were NOT our best team in the last 40 years.

BulldogBear
06-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Sihnce 1992 when State and Ole Miss have both played Alabama each and every season:

The average record of the 6 Bama teams we've beaten is 6-6 and the average score has been MSU 24, Bama 14.

The average record of the 2 Bama teams Ole Miss has beaten is 5-7 and the average Ole Miss win over Tide has been 35-26.

msudawg1200
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Sihnce 1992 when State and Ole Miss have both played Alabama each and every season:

The average record of the 6 Bama teams we've beaten is 6-6 and the average score has been MSU 24, Bama 14.

The average record of the 2 Bama teams Ole Miss has beaten is 5-7 and the average Ole Miss win over Tide has been 35-26.

So, Ole Miss lost to crappy Bama teams when we beat them. Is that your point?

Radddawg
06-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Don't get upset cause MSU and Bama both own the Webels !! Maybe you should change your username to UMBear1200 ?

msudawg1200
06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Don't get upset cause MSU and Bama both own the Webels !! Maybe you should change your username to UMBear1200 ?

What in the hell are you talking about? Did you read my post? You were the one that sounded like you were taking up for the Bears. Have you read any of my previous post? If it's one thing I can't be accused of is being a Bear. I don't know if I've ever been accused of that until now.

Schultzy
06-18-2014, 08:35 PM
I remember that they asked Alabama what they thought of msu. Response: "theyre Notre Dame"

I didnt see that as a compliment. Weve always been a physical team but since mullen has arrived, we are less physical it seems. Still physical but not quite as smash mouth as when we were 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Actually, I think during the national championship week, when asked what alabama thought of Notre Dame they said very similar to Mississippi State.

War Machine Dawg
06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Actually, I think during the national championship week, when asked what alabama thought of Notre Dame they said very similar to Mississippi State.

That's how I remember it.

BulldogBear
06-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Nope, both my posts, containing facts, simply dispelled any myth that Ole Miss competes better than we do against Alabama. LSU is another story.

MidTNDawg
06-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Alabama

Reason2succeed
06-19-2014, 06:33 PM
My bad. I looked at the records and yes State has been closer to Bama but we still lost. At least ole piss has beaten LSU recently. State MUST BEAT THEM. No one outside the program (which is the point of the thread) cares how close we get to beating these teams. They will only care when we actually take them down and out of the NC picture. We are loaded all over the field and this is the year we should do it.

msudawg1200
06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Nope, both my posts, containing facts, simply dispelled any myth that Ole Miss competes better than we do against Alabama. LSU is another story.

Well, I must have misunderstood your posts because it sounded like you were taking up for the bears. That is the point I was making in my other posts on this topic. My bad. Me and you agree on the topic as my previous posts confirm.