PDA

View Full Version : Why MSU Should Add Men's Soccer

TheRef
06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
In my article on Maroon and White Nation, I explain why MSU should add Men's Soccer to its list of sanctioned sports.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/17/msu-add-mens-soccer-heres/

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Can we add Rugby and Hockey too please

TheRef
06-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Can we add Rugby and Hockey too please

Gladly!

Jack Lambert
06-17-2014, 03:42 PM
First of all I am not a soccer fan but I will add my two cents and take it for what it is. We have one of the lowest budgets in the SEC and we do not need to spread the money out any more then it is. Break even is not good enough to take the chance. Hockey get popular during the Olympic here in the south then when it is over that's gone and soccer only gets popular during the World Cup and when it is over that's gone. One it's just not enough interest and it's just not worth the chance you take spending the money.

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 03:42 PM
In my article on Maroon and White Nation, I explain why MSU should add Men's Soccer to its list of sanctioned sports.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/17/msu-add-mens-soccer-heres/

183k in expenses won't touch a program w 9.9 scholarships, travel, staff, recruiting etc. I don't watch soccer but I'm not opposed to it like some, different strokes for different folks. But it we can't come close to breaking even, and w title 9 it's not happening. We just need to get better in the sports we already have.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
183k in expenses won't touch a program w 9.9 scholarships, travel, staff, recruiting etc. I don't watch soccer but I'm not opposed to it like some, different strokes for different folks. But it we can't come close to breaking even, and w title 9 it's not happening. We just need to get better in the sports we already have.

Fair enough. I wrote it welcoming discussion. You make valid points.

engie
06-17-2014, 04:27 PM

What makes us assume title IX continues to cover men's basketball and football after they win the O'Bannon case and those players are considered some form of professionals -- which they appear they are going to? I'm not privy to the exact implications on titleIX, and I don't think anyone in the country is, but we can be sure that the future with that is not as clearcut as the past has been. There is drastic change coming -- and the shockwave of it will be felt in other sports...

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 04:35 PM
What makes us assume title IX continues to cover men's basketball and football after they win the O'Bannon case and those players are considered some form of professionals -- which they appear they are going to? I'm not privy to the exact implications on titleIX, and I don't think anyone in the country is, but we can be sure that the future with that is not as clearcut as the past has been. There is drastic change coming -- and the shockwave of it will be felt in other sports...

That's a fair point. We don't know. I certainly don't.....even wo the title 9 issue, I don't see us pouring money into another sport that loses money and takes away from the ones we already have. I guess nothing is impossible.

engie
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
That's a fair point. We don't know. I certainly don't.....even wo the title 9 issue, I don't see us pouring money into another sport that loses money and takes away from the ones we already have. I guess nothing is impossible.

We're going to need a place to park a crapload of money soon too, so that needs to be taken into consideration. We don't have nearly the debt backlog in play that many SEC schools do. As far as I know, our only major debt is the $68mil left to pay on the stadium.

Be hard to continue operating as a nonprofit/light profit as ADs generally do with a sudden infusion of $30+ million/yr...

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes but we have lots of money coming up on facility improvement, softball, tennis, golf and soccer. Without mentioning baseball. Out coaches in all the minor sports are way underpaid compared to the league. And several are proving their worth. Nevermind their individual sports budgets are awful. Not talking about the big 3. Just the rest. We have lots of places to spend money. Lots!!

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 04:59 PM
New softball stadium and tennis complex is next up after baseball I think. New basketball arena should take care of that good problem for a few years too. Then we'll need to add something for football, baseball etc, rinse repeat. Won't be a problem. We'll just build more toys or better ones. I don't think they should get rid of Dudy Noble either. Have two awesome stadiums for tournament play and junior tournaments etc… can make money during the summer months by being able to hold tournaments for traveling all-star type teams. Maybe we can even start a summer league for college players and juco players. Something to consider.

ScoobaDawg
06-17-2014, 05:47 PM
New softball stadium and tennis complex is next up after baseball I think. New basketball arena should take care of that good problem for a few years too. Then we'll need to add something for football, baseball etc, rinse repeat. Won't be a problem. We'll just build more toys or better ones. I don't think they should get rid of Dudy Noble either. Have two awesome stadiums for tournament play and junior tournaments etc… can make money during the summer months by being able to hold tournaments for traveling all-star type teams. Maybe we can even start a summer league for college players and juco players. Something to consider.

Softball is before baseball or you can kiss Vann goodbye. That stadium has been promised since the day she signed on and we had to give up the SEC tournament this year because it's not done already.

engie
06-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Softball is before baseball or you can kiss Vann goodbye. That stadium has been promised since the day she signed on and we had to give up the SEC tournament this year because it's not done already.

She's probably good as gone then...

Especially if both are totally funded on private donations as thusfar hinted. Get out there and raise the money the same way baseball will...

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 08:06 PM
She's probably good as gone then...

Especially if both are totally funded on private donations as thusfar hinted. Get out there and raise the money the same way baseball will...

I'll be shocked if baseball is built before softball and tennis. Last check they were halfway there money wise, the dept will end up funding whatever they have to do to get it done. The hope is w way more private money.

engie
06-17-2014, 08:13 PM
I'll be shocked if baseball is built before softball and tennis. Last check they were halfway there money wise, the dept will end up funding whatever they have to do to get it done. The hope is w way more private money.

Strick has said on radio that baseball has no correlation to the timetable of the other improvements...

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Strick has said on radio that baseball has no correlation to the timetable of the other improvements...

I'm not arguing- but the fact is we have a softball championship here in 2 years and have a plan in place for it and tennis. And have half the money raised. Well more by now. Whih is chump change. And as u stated we are about to get more money from the league, 3 more million to complete 2 facilities isn't a big deal. Baseball is moving forward but still in the planning stages. Thus, my opinion is tennis and softball will be done before baseball- which considering they have been in the plans for several years previous isn't a crime. Even if someone paid for the entire baseball facility w one check- that would free up more money In house for softball.

engie
06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm not arguing- but the fact is we have a softball championship here in 2 years and have a plan in place for it and tennis. And have half the money raised. Well more by now. Whih is chump change. And as u stated we are about to get more money from the league, 3 more million to complete 2 facilities isn't a big deal. Baseball is moving forward but still in the planning stages. Thus, my opinion is tennis and softball will be done before baseball- which considering they have been in the plans for several years previous isn't a crime. Even if someone paid for the entire baseball facility w one check- that would free up more money In house for softball.

My point isn't about which actually gets done when -- it's that they have basically no correlation to each other. Baseball isn't going to wait on softball and viceversa -- and we'll be seeing the firm plan for baseball soon, and my understanding is that there are pled money is going to be raised very, very quickly for that project. m

We're not a "one project at a time" athletics department anymore. I have no doubt that we'll see both of those projects overlapping to some degree, but Strick has already made it pretty apparent that he's not going to go into the red for the softball/tennis renovations. Will it wait on the SECNetwork money? When will that first check come in? It's all anybody's guess. Softball finishing before baseball doesn't mean it started before baseball or was a higher priority than baseball... Just means both were needed, people stepped up and paid for them, and we got them both done.

Homedawg
06-17-2014, 08:51 PM
My point isn't about which actually gets done when -- it's that they have basically no correlation to each other. Baseball isn't going to wait on softball and viceversa -- and we'll be seeing the firm plan for baseball soon, and my understanding is that the money is going to be raised very, very quickly for that project.

We're not a "one project at a time" athletics department anymore. I have no doubt that we'll see both of those projects overlapping to some degree, but Strick has already made it pretty apparent that he's not going to go into the red for the softball expansion. Will it wait on the SECNetwork money? When will that first check come in? It's all anybody's guess. Softball finishing before baseball doesn't mean it started before baseball or was a higher priority than baseball... Just means both were needed, people stepped up and paid for them, and we got them both done.

I think we are on the same page. I agree with pretty much everything u said. I'm just trying to keep people from jumping if and when softball gets done before baseball. Like u said it doesn't mean it's higher up the chain.

bulldogcountry1
06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
I say we add the cheapest, shortest men's fall sport available, and give all the schollys to baseball players.

Say badminton?

godlluB
06-17-2014, 09:15 PM
If we're going to add a non-revenue sport, I vote for swimming. MSU and Ole Miss are the only two SEC schools without swim teams.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
If we're going to add a non-revenue sport, I vote for swimming. MSU and Ole Miss are the only two SEC schools without swim teams.

Swimming and Gymnastics?

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Does MSU have an Olympic style aqua center to support that or are they just going to practice at the University Commons pool?

TheRef
06-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Does MSU have an Olympic style aqua center to support that or are they just going to practice at the University Commons pool?

Only viable pool is the Sanderson pool...not deep enough for diving competitions though.

engie
06-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Only viable pool is the Sanderson pool...not deep enough for diving competitions though.

Not Olympic length either. Have always heard LT undersized it on purpose...

godlluB
06-17-2014, 09:55 PM
It's half Olympic length. 50 meters is two pool lengths instead of one. Like most student fitness centers at universities around the country, it was intentionally built as a half width pool to prevent varsity sports from using it for competitions.

That said, it regularly houses high school and club level swim meets.

dickiedawg
06-17-2014, 10:11 PM
I've never thought there was a question of "should" we add men's soccer. It was always a question of making it work logistically, with the title IX malarky.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 10:16 PM
I've never thought there was a question of "should" we add men's soccer. It was always a question of making it work logistically, with the title IX malarky.

That's when you just think about good women alternatives.

Expenses (from athleticscholarships.com)

Gymanstics: $603,220
Lacrosse: $214,185
Rowing: $489,155

godlluB
06-17-2014, 10:21 PM
That's when you just think about good women alternatives.

Expenses (from athleticscholarships.com)

Gymanstics: $603,220
Lacrosse: $214,185
Rowing: $489,155

Gymnasts are hot, worth the extra $$$. ***

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 10:25 PM
If we are adding a women's sport I vote for beach volleyball. Trust me you'll thank me later.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
If we are adding a women's sport I vote for beach volleyball. Trust me you'll thank me later.

I agree....we already have a club team, but it's not supported by the Athletic department. All we need is the University to build a set of sand-pits and viola! We have all we need for a beach volleyball team.

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 10:30 PM
I agree....we already have a club team, but it's not supported by the Athletic department. All we need is the University to build a set of sand-pits and viola! We have all we need for a beach volleyball team.

It can't be all that expensive to add a beach volleyball program. This is a win win win guys.

godlluB
06-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Let's try to field a regular volleyball team that isn't the laughing stock of the OVC first, please.

dickiedawg
06-17-2014, 10:32 PM
What about bowling, equestrian, rifle?

TheRef
06-17-2014, 10:32 PM
It can't be all that expensive to add a beach volleyball program

Shouldn't be. But will the SEC endorse a beach volleyball conference/championship? That's the real question here.

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Let's try to field a regular volleyball team that isn't the laughing stock of the OVC first, please.

This will help the volleyball team. Lots of HS athletes want to be able to play both sports in college and there's only like 18 schools that have D1 beach volleyball programs right now.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Bowling: Vandy is the only other SEC school with a Bowling program
Equestrian: Costs can range between $100k and $450k. Colleges in SEC: Auburn, UGA, USCe, TAMU
Marksmanship: UK, OM

Irondawg
06-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Without getting into the details i think an official men's soccer program would be great. You probably wouldn't even need that many schollies, if any as a lot of the good soccer players i've known over the years were smart enough to get some academic money.

Dental Dawg
06-18-2014, 08:30 AM
You could do skeet. Starkville already has a gun club off Old West Point road. The only cost would be for shotgun shells, an MSU shirt, and travel. The shooters will have there own gun.

curmudgeon
06-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Funny story about Rifle/Marksmanship

I worked with a woman one time that had a daughter at Ole Miss. She grew up in the country, hunting with her dad, etc. After her freshman year at Ole Miss, she tried out for the rifle team and got a full scholarship for her final three years and all of the athlete perks.

This is going to shock a lot of you, but if we were to add a women's sport and a men's sport, here is what I would do:

Women's Rifle: If we were serious about it, we could be a good program.
Men's soccer: We already have the facility and it has shared expenses with the women's program.

But, I don't see either happening anytime soon. The athletic department's plan seems to be focusing heavily on football at the expense of men's basketball, letting the history of our baseball program drive it. Letting the chips fall where they will on other men's programs (Why we are letting our men's tennis coach leave to be a women's coach at Pepperdine)

On the women's side, there seems to be a genuine improvement plan across the board. Women's basketball should be really good this year. Women's golf finished fifth in the NCAA Championship. Volleyball and Tennis better get their act together or they will have new coaches soon, I imagine. This is the last season that Jenny Hazlewood can use her MSU pedigree.