Coach34
06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2009/03/how-soccer-is-ruining-america

well written and worth the read

State82
06-17-2014, 08:32 AM

And well played, Coach. Well played. I laughed.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 08:32 AM
2009? I know you didn't find this in the normal course of internetting, and it's pretty pathetic to imagine someone googling "soccer ruining America".

That said, article is dumb and baseless, and has to be satire?

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 08:37 AM
It's like the guy got into my head!

Sporting should be about breaking kids down before you start building them up. YES!
Americans would never invent a sport where the better you get the less you score. YES!

Conservative suburban families, the backbone of America, have turned to soccer in droves. Baseball is too intimidating, football too brutal, and basketball takes too much time to develop the required skills. American parents in the past several decades are overworked and exhausted, but their children are overweight and neglected. Soccer is the perfect antidote to television and video games. It forces kids to run and run, and everyone can play their role, no matter how minor or irrelevant to the game. Soccer and relevision are the peanut butter and jelly of parenting.

YES!

Then the kids get to high school and start playing real sports.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Don't sec fans pound their chests over superior defenses preventing scoring and ball control offenses? And mercilessly mock HUNH offenses as a "gimmick"?

Also, not sure how little league, pee wee, or youth basketball "breaks down" a kid differently from soccer.

Bubb Rubb
06-17-2014, 08:51 AM

If you can't appreciate yesterday's game - US clinging to a 1-0 lead with a weary defense and their best forward out of the game with injury, enduring every attack from an athletically superior Ghana team, finally giving up the tying goal, and then answering in spectacular fashion - then you are a miserable person. No, it's not college football. But it was riveting. There is a reason it is the most popular sport in the world. The world cup is a once-every-four-year spectacle.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Wait, is this a soccer hater's thread that soccer lovers are posting in?

I may be a miserable person, but I am not shitting on my home state while living up north and having to borrow money from my parents.

Miserable > Loser everytime.

Coach34
06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
If you can't appreciate yesterday's game - US clinging to a 1-0 lead with a weary defense and their best forward out of the game with injury, enduring every attack from an athletically superior Ghana team, finally giving up the tying goal, and then answering in spectacular fashion - then you are a miserable person. No, it's not college football. But it was riveting. There is a reason it is the most popular sport in the world. The world cup is a once-every-four-year spectacle.

Holy Lord...it's funny seeing the glorification of a match-up that was like Madison Central playing Durant and MC scoring at the end to win.

messageboardsuperhero
06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure that article was a joke.

Soccer is a girl's sport because it mimics child labor? There's no way this guy's serious. I'd hope not anyway...

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
The sheer fact that we are on par with Ghana in something means that Americans shouldn't support it. It's embarrassing.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Im curious. How does a country like Ghana even compete with us? I know very little about soccer but it just seems off.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Wait, is this a soccer hater's thread that soccer lovers are posting in?

I may be a miserable person, but I am not shitting on my home state while living up north and having to borrow money from my parents.

Miserable > Loser everytime.

Take a break man. He is a recent grad and just starting out in a career. No need to say that. Youre better than that.

boarmassage
06-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Im curious. How does a country like Ghana even compete with us? I know very little about soccer but it just seems off.

If I had to guess, and this is purely a guess, I would think it has something to do with it being their major sport. Maybe even their only sport. While our best athletes go and play basketball or football, most every other country goes and plays soccer. I could be completely wrong though.

SignalToNoise
06-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Take a break man. He is a recent grad and just starting out in a career. No need to say that. Youre better than that.

+1

MadDawg
06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Holy Lord...it's funny seeing the glorification of a match-up that was like Madison Central playing Durant and MC scoring at the end to win.

It's ok grandpa. Change is tough for some to deal with.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-17-2014, 10:20 AM
If I had to guess, and this is purely a guess, I would think it has something to do with it being their major sport. Maybe even their only sport. While our best athletes go and play basketball or football, most every other country goes and plays soccer. I could be completely wrong though.
This is correct. Soccer is pretty much the only sport in 90% of countries around the world and Ghana is one of those countries. All kids do there while growing up is play soccer, and as the saying goes "practice makes perfect". Most of Ghana's best athletes end up playing soccer, while in the U.S. the best athletes are divided up among many sports such as football, basketball, etc. If soccer was the number one sport in the U.S. and all the best athletes were playing soccer, the U.S. would probably be a top 5 world powerhouse in soccer.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 10:40 AM
If soccer was the number one sport in the U.S. and all the best athletes were playing soccer, the U.S. would probably be a top 5 world powerhouse in soccer.

and I would be disgusted by it every day of my life.

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 10:50 AM
USA Dream Team

Mike Trout
Bryce Harper
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Billy Hamilton
Adrian Peterson
Richard Sherman
Colin Kapernick
Cam Newton
Johnny Soccerball
Percy Harvin
Calvin Johnson
Giancarlo Stanton
Dee Gordon
Yasiel Puig (he's USA now)
Tim Tebow

Thank god we are lucky enough we see these athletes playing the sports they are best at. It'd be a shame if we never saw LeBron James play basketball and he played soccer instead. Soccer isn't a threat to Americans. It's just a sport. Just like any other sport. Playing soccer or watching soccer doesn't mean you want to suddenly become a Hispanic or European country. Don't let your fears and hatred towards other cultures show too much this next month guys. USA is held to a higher standard. We set the example for the rest.

Martianlander
06-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

MadDawg
06-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Is this the reason why so many Americans hate soccer? Because we don't dominate the world in it? I can only assume these people hate other things we don't dominate the world in also. Like math. And science. And healthcare.

hacker
06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
xenophobes, the lot of you

hacker
06-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Is this the reason why so many Americans hate soccer? Because we don't dominate the world in it? I can only assume these people hate other things we don't dominate the world in also. Like math. And science. And healthcare.

but hey, we dominate the world in being fat and taking over countries!

AlmostPositive
06-17-2014, 11:28 AM
So many Americans hate soccer because so many American soccer fans are insufferable nitwits eager to advertize their worldliness and sophistication.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't get why soccer fans are posting on this. Its a satirical article he posted for a laugh and to see who would get pissy about it, posting just makes y'all seem sour. Just don't post and let it disappear down the page.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
So many Americans hate soccer because so many American soccer fans are insufferable nitwits eager to advertize their worldliness and sophistication.

+1

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Soccer isn't to blame. Those people just hate people.

War Machine Dawg
06-17-2014, 11:34 AM
USA Dream Team

Mike Trout
Bryce Harper
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Billy Hamilton
Adrian Peterson
Richard Sherman
Colin Kapernick
Cam Newton
Johnny Soccerball
Percy Harvin
Calvin Johnson
Giancarlo Stanton
Dee Gordon
Yasiel Puig (he's USA now)
Tim Tebow

Thank god we are lucky enough we see these athletes playing the sports they are best at. It'd be a shame if we never saw LeBron James play basketball and he played soccer instead. Soccer isn't a threat to Americans. It's just a sport. Just like any other sport. Playing soccer or watching soccer doesn't mean you want to suddenly become a Hispanic or European country. Don't let your fears and hatred towards other cultures show too much this next month guys. USA is held to a higher standard. We set the example for the rest.

I'd scratch Hamilton for Jason Heyward. Yeah, Hamilton's fast and steals a bunch of bases. But he hasn't done much else.

I'd also swap Stanton for RGIII. Stanton hits a lot of homers, but I wouldn't call him a great athlete.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Maybe they just hate soccer. Like some people can't stand basketball. Some people hate golf. Some hate baseball. It's ok.

Statefan
06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
How did we get beat by Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. A SPORT WE INVENTED??

For reference their populations

PR - 3.6 million
DR - 9.4 million
Ghana - 24.2 million
USA - 300 million +

Is that a reason to hate baseball?

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd scratch Hamilton for Jason Heyward. Yeah, Hamilton's fast and steals a bunch of bases. But he hasn't done much else.

I'd also swap Stanton for RGIII. Stanton hits a lot of homers, but I wouldn't call him a great athlete.

We can add both Heyward and RG3, good adds. We have way too much size on this team though we need some little burners running around.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Soccer isn't to blame. Those people just hate people.

No. If I come to your cookout and say I don't like hamburgers, a normal person would offer me a hot dog, not lecture me on how wrong I am because the entire world likes hamburgers.

I don't think its coincidental that I don't know people IRL that love soccer to the point of wanting to seriously discuss it. Casual observers every four years - that's fine. But telling me I am a miserable fool/idiot because I don't like it? That's really narcissistic. "If you don't see it my way, you are an idiot."

Plus, the main antagonist in all of this is a complete loser that in adulthood is having to live off his parents because he thinks he is too good for Mississippi. I don't hate people. I don't even hate complete total losers. I do hate soccer and what it does to people every four years.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
How did we get beat by Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. A SPORT WE INVENTED??

For reference their populations

PR - 3.6 million
DR - 9.4 million
Ghana - 24.2 million
USA - 300 million +

Is that a reason to hate baseball?

Red herring. I don't hate soccer because we aren't good at it. As I said before, I became intrigued with handball during the last Olympics. The USA is horrible at that sport to the point where we don't qualify for major international competition. Am I scanning the internet for foreign handball stats and standings? No, but I found it enjoyable to watch.

I hate soccer because its a miserable, boring sport that is killing American youth. If you think baseball is boring, that's fine. I'm not going to think less of you as a person.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 11:45 AM
No. If I come to your cookout and say I don't like hamburgers, a normal person would offer me a hot dog, not lecture me on how wrong I am because the entire world likes hamburgers.

I don't think its coincidental that I don't know people IRL that love soccer to the point of wanting to seriously discuss it. Casual observers every four years - that's fine. But telling me I am a miserable fool/idiot because I don't like it? That's really narcissistic. "If you don't see it my way, you are an idiot."

Plus, the main antagonist in all of this is a complete loser that in adulthood is having to live off his parents because he thinks he is too good for Mississippi. I don't hate people. I don't even hate complete total losers. I do hate soccer and what it does to people every four years.

Ive been one of the main people disagreeing with you, and never once has it been because you don't like soccer. Its the fact that you tried to hate on it/its fans/ and the sport in general that has brought flak towards you.
I posted a thread asking non soccer fans if they would watch. I think Goat said no he doesn't like it and won't give a damn if we make the finals. I never attacked him for that. You got attacked for how you said that you don't like soccer

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Red herring. I don't hate soccer because we aren't good at it. I hate soccer because its a miserable, boring sport that is killing American youth. If you think baseball is boring, that's fine. I'm not going to think less of you as a person.

Medically, it is saving our youth genius

War Machine Dawg
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
We can add both Heyward and RG3, good adds. We have way too much size on this team though we need some little burners running around.

You'd be surprised at how fast the team we just put together is. Harvin, RG3, and Calvin Johnson are all 4.3 guys. Trout, Harper, JHey, Johnny Soccerball, Puig, and Sherman are all fast as hell, too. Hell, even Newton is a 4.5 guy at 6'5 240. That team may be big, but it's FAST. I'd say the slowest guy on the list is Tebow, and he's probably 4.6-4.7.

The point: If the US was all in on soccer the way other countries were, we'd dominate. I'm not a big soccer guy, but even I can see that critical mass seems to have been reached for soccer to become a major sport here and that we've improved dramatically just in the last 8 years. I don't think it'll be long, certainly within my lifetime, that we'll be a legitimate contender for the World Cup. But we'll always split our elite talent amongst several sports, and I'm fine with that.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Medically, it is saving our youth genius

Keep telling yourself that, genius. Its good exercise, I will not disagree, but there is more to it than physical health.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 11:50 AM

I think the pro-soccer crowd has gotten so vocal because the anti-soccer crowd is so outspoken about their hatred. Most of the time at something innocuous like World Cup highlights leading off sportscenter or people excitedly talki... I mean advertising their worldliness and sophistication about the World Cup. So of course the pro-soccer crowd is going to get defensive. It also comes from the types of "reasons" the haters hate soccer, like it's a communist sport, only poor countries like it, it's not exciting, etc. if you prefer other sports that's fine, but no need to attack one you don't like like it actively offends you.

It's like politics in this country. One side believes something, otherside attacks said belief irrationally, 1st gets defensive and attacks the otherside, so on and so on it goes, both sides blaming the other for starting it.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Again, I don't think less of another human being for liking something that I don't. There's only one side that does that.

I do think less of a human being for shitting on his home while taking money from his parents so he can live somewhere "cool" and pretend he's better than people back home.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Again, I don't think less of another human being for liking something that I don't. There's only one side that does that.

I do think less of a human being for shitting on his home while taking money from his parents so he can live somewhere "cool" and pretend he's better than people back home.

Dude, you may know the entire story of whoever you're talking about, but I doubt it. You're saying someone is acting better than others, yet you're basically acting like you're better than him. How do you fail to see the irony in that

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
I do see the irony.

There are people that are better than other people.

There are winners and losers in life.

Just not always in soccer.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

You've sounded like you think less of soccer fans over and over in these threads.

You also should keep the personal shit out of here. Not everyone wants to live in mississippi, and that's fine. And if someone's parents are willing to keep them afloat while they find a job, that's fine too. You sound like you are pretty bitter that you are stuck working a job you hate in a town/state you don't want to live in.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:00 PM
You've sounded like you think less of soccer fans over and over in these threads.

You also should keep the personal shit out of here. Not everyone wants to live in mississippi, and that's fine. And if someone's parents are willing to keep them afloat while they find a job, that's fine too. You sound like you are pretty bitter that you are stuck working a job you hate in a town/state you don't want to live in.

Its also fine if I think that person is a complete and total loser.

smootness
06-17-2014, 12:00 PM

What you've been doing is equitable to showing up at someone's cookout and saying, 'I don't like YOUR hamburgers, they're freaking disgusting. I brought these hot dogs, and they're awesome!!! Go hot dogs!!!!!!!!!' right in the face of the person cooking the burgers.

The person cooking the burgers is going to punch you in your face, not cook your hot dog.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:03 PM
What you've been doing is equitable to showing up at someone's cookout and saying, 'I don't like YOUR hamburgers, they're freaking disgusting. I brought these hot dogs, and they're awesome!!! Go hot dogs!!!!!!!!!' right in the face of the person cooking the burgers.

The person cooking the burgers is going to punch you in your face, not cook your hot dog.

You forgot the part where he spits in all of the patties on the grill, pees on the cook, and whips out his own spatula to make his dogs

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:04 PM

You soccer fans are absolutely nuts. I am embarrassed that I have anything in common with you, assuming we all have undergraduate degrees from deal old State.

sandwolf
06-17-2014, 12:05 PM

But that isn't what you did. You went to someone else's cookout, saw that they were only serving hamburgers, and then proceeded to obnoxiously tell everyone present that you were hoping for the cookout to be ruined by rain because hamburgers are a bullshit, communist, ***** food that is boring and is leading to the downfall of our country. And then when some of the other people at the party let you know what a miserable prick you were and told you to shut up, you started in with the "Wow look at all of these hamburger cult members attacking me just because I don't like hamburgers!"

TheRef
06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
You soccer fans are absolutely nuts. I am embarrassed that I have anything in common with you, assuming we all have undergraduate degrees from deal old State.

Not all of us, Curmudgeon. Careful with your blanket statements.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:07 PM
But that isn't what you did. You went to someone else's cookout, saw that they were only serving hamburgers, and then proceeded to obnoxiously tell everyone present that you were hoping for the cookout to be ruined by rain because hamburgers are a bullshit, communist, ***** food that is boring and is leading to the downfall of our country. And then when some of the other people at the party let you know what a miserable prick you were and told you to shut up, you started in with the "Wow look at all of these hamburger cult members attacking me just because I don't like hamburgers!"

No, that's not what I did. Soccer lovers came to mine and Coach's anti-soccer cookout and began to lecture me. And this is an anti-soccer thread as well. I've stayed out of your threads today.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Curmudgeon is an apt poster handle

smootness

The heck are you talking about? Are you the one who said you're conservative, pro-life, hate gun control, and disagree with gay marriage?

Because if so, we have far more in common than you realize.

How am I a soccer nut based on what I said? That is what you've done. You posted in multiple threads claiming to be rooting for Ghana against your own country just so you could laugh and hope soccer dies.

If you hope soccer dies, that's fine. That's your opinion. Rooting for Ghana for no reason and trying to rub it in everyone's face is a dick move.

curmudgeon
Curmudgeon is an apt poster handle

Glad its not lost on all people.

smootness
06-17-2014, 12:10 PM
No, that's not what I did. Soccer lovers came to mine and Coach's anti-soccer cookout and began to lecture me. And this is an anti-soccer thread as well. I've stayed out of your threads today.

This thread is titled, 'Interesting soccer article'. So from now on, if there is an opinion expressed in a thread that we disagree with, we must leave the thread and not post?

You entered plenty of 'pro-soccer' threads and cheered for Ghana just to be a dick.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:11 PM
It amazes me, curmudgeon, that you can possibly think you are in the right

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:13 PM
If you hope soccer dies, that's fine. That's your opinion. Rooting for Ghana for no reason and trying to rub it in everyone's face is a dick move.

Again, if you really think I had my Ghanaese flag raised and went in despair when they lost, you are an idiot. I don't have this national idolatry that some of you have. The U.S. is shameful in a lot of ways. I am not proud of what this country is doing on a lot of things more serious than a game. I just don't care for soccer and would like to see it lose popularity. I think it is hurting our nation and creating narcissistic millenials who demand entitlements because they weren't taught to fail as children the way they should be.

In fairness, it has boiled over to other sports as well, but soccer started it.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 12:14 PM
The heck are you talking about? Are you the one who said you're conservative, pro-life, hate gun control, and disagree with gay marriage?

Well at least we can both agree the World Cup is awesome. :-/

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Nobody feels sorry for you right now curmudgeon. You brought it on yourself. People are passionate about their sports. If ten minutes before a MSU football game someone got on here and posted a flag of the opponent and actively tried to troll the game thread chat and cheered when the opponent scored then you'd get a lot of pissed off people really quickly. That's what you did. That's what you wanted. You got what you wanted. Congratulations on having the entire board now know exactly who you are. I'm not a fan of tennis but I'm certainly not going to seek out Tennis fans and tell them how much Tennis sucks and I'm not going to post pics of the team their favorite Tennis team is playing in its biggest event that happens only once every four years. Basically you pissed on people's faces and are now acting like you don't understand why they are mad.

dawgs
06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
I think it is hurting our nation and creating narcissistic millenials who demand entitlements because they weren't taught to fail as children the way they should be.

See that's such ****ing bullshit with no basis in reality. And you wonder why you are "attacked" and told you are an idiot.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Nobody feels sorry for you right now curmudgeon. You brought it on yourself. People are passionate about their sports. If ten minutes before a MSU football game someone got on here and posted a flag of the opponent and actively tried to troll the game thread chat and cheered when the opponent scored then you'd get a lot of pissed off people really quickly. That's what you did. That's what you wanted. You got what you wanted. Congratulations on having the entire board now know exactly who you are. I'm not a fan of tennis but I'm certainly not going to seek out Tennis fans and tell them how much Tennis sucks and I'm not going to post pics of the team their favorite Tennis team is playing in its biggest event that happens only once every four years. Basically you pissed on people's faces and are now acting like you don't understand why they are mad.

I expect no one to feel sorry for me. I know that there will be people in life that disagree with me. And don't care if they are mad. Because if you are mad about someone posting an opinion or cheering for another team on a message board, you need to get your priorities straight, or you are going to be a complete failure at life.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Again, if you really think I had my Ghanaese flag raised and went in despair when they lost, you are an idiot. I don't have this national idolatry that some of you have. The U.S. is shameful in a lot of ways. I am not proud of what this country is doing on a lot of things more serious than a game. I just don't care for soccer and would like to see it lose popularity. I think it is hurting our nation and creating narcissistic millenials who demand entitlements because they weren't taught to fail as children the way they should be.

I played soccer growing up. I lost lots of tournaments, didn't make the A team for select on my first try, and lost the state championship game in high school. But I guess to someone who doesn't watch, every game is a tie even if you lose. Yup, no failure involved

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Alright, soccer nuts - you've had your fun today. I'm not going to post anything else soccer related.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
At this point, I'm not even mad, i just want to know how you rationalize the soccer is ruining our youth

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 12:23 PM
I do see the irony.

There are people that are better than other people.

There are winners and losers in life.

Just not always in soccer.

Some people are born losers. Either by choice or by birth.

- Jack Parkman -

I take it back, I think Im actually starting to enjoy the soccer bitching back and forth. It is summer and slow and Im just amazed at the responses. Highly entertaining.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:23 PM
At this point, I'm not even mad, i just want to know how you rationalize the soccer is ruining our youth

Why does it matter? If I told you, you'd call me a miserable idiot. That's not a productive use of either of our time. Y'all have fun. I will stay away from soccer threads because that's how America works now. Some of you may even claim a victory over the evil that is curmudgeon's view on a game.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I imagine he hates it for a lot of reasons in that article. He thinks it is "*****fying" america and he probably hates that everyone gets a ribbon these days and that kids arent taught that life sucks, then you grow up.

Im just taking a stab based on his previous opinions.

SignalToNoise
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Why does it matter? If I told you, you'd call me a miserable idiot. That's not a productive use of either of our time. Y'all have fun. I will stay away from soccer threads because that's how America works now. Some of you may even claim a victory over the evil that is curmudgeon's view on a game.

I would be willing to listen to your arguments more if you could link to a study that was at least correlating the two. Coming on a message board and saying that you think soccer is creating entitled millennials is unadulterated bullshit.

That's like saying "Well Orcs and Unicorns are responsible for the death of Leprechauns." You can say whatever the **** you want if you don't have any scientific evidence to back it up.

AlmostPositive
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I'd like to thank the soccer fanboy who essentially accused those of us less enamored of the "beautiful game" of being ignorant Mississippi rednecks for not sharing his passion. That crystallizes things very nicely.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I'd like to thank the soccer fanboy who essentially accused those of us less enamored of the "beautiful game" of being ignorant Mississippi rednecks for not sharing his passion. That crystallizes things very nicely.

That would be the same one that shit on his home state and lives on his parents' charity while he lives in a city that is more "cool" than Mississippi.

BulldogDX55
06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Hey curmudgeon, you know that everyone gets a trophy in youth football too, right?

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey curmudgeon, you know that everyone gets a trophy in youth football too, right?

Yep, its complete bullshit, too.

If I were dictator, youth sports teams would get three trophies: MVP, Most Improved, and Best Sportmanship.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:40 PM
What happened to you saying you would stop posing?

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
That would be the same one that shit on his home state and lives on his parents' charity while he lives in a city that is more "cool" than Mississippi.

I thought he lived with his family in long island? I think yall are both off.

First, he did take a jab at MS for not "getting" it. When you move off, esp to a place like NYC, it is easy to quickly see how ignorant and backwoods we grew up. It almost comes to the point of a general hate. It is true, that he will be around more culture and be able to enjoy more things. It is a great thing to move off.

However, you must be careful to not feel superior and completely change on how you were raised. I know because I went through it. The older he will get, he will realize that his bashing was pointless. Some is warrantied but not most.

We are all biased by our surroundings. People think we are dumb and ignorant. I travel all over the world and that couldnt be farther from the truth. Go to the midwest or boston and tell me about racism.

Esplanade, it is cool that you are moving off. I did it and Id encourage but please dont turn into that asshole that moves to austin, la or brooklyn and has to shit on MS every chance you get. Youll find out, sooner than later, that those ignorants you grew up with are actually some of the best people youll ever know. Sure, myself or you may think their beliefs are backwards or dumb but it is their right to think Sarah Palin is awesome.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
What happened to you saying you would stop posing?

I said I would stop posting about soccer. I was posed a question about youth football.

BrunswickDawg
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM

And have for a long time. I started playing team sports in 1977 - and got a trophy every year in every sport I played until high school - when I started getting letters (which is in reality a trophy). My grandmother had a trunk full of sports participation trophies and certificates from my dad and uncle going back to their youth sports days in the 1950s. This idea that "the youth of today" is some pansy-ass waste of entitled elites because of soccer was said about us in Gen-X (cause we were in the first soccer wave in the 70s & 80s). Stupid then, stupid now.

Tbonewannabe
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Tishomingo MS probably still doesn't have a soccer field today but I remember getting a trophy for participating in little league baseball 26 years ago. There is a fine line between making a child an entitled prick from giving him a trophy that made him happy and making him a douchebag because he won some little league games and no one else received a trophy.

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
And have for a long time. I started playing team sports in 1977 - and got a trophy every year in every sport I played until high school - when I started getting letters (which is in reality a trophy). My grandmother had a trunk full of sports participation trophies and certificates from my dad and uncle going back to their youth sports days in the 1950s. This idea that "the youth of today" is some pansy-ass waste of entitled elites because of soccer was said about us in Gen-X (cause we were in the first soccer wave in the 70s & 80s). Stupid then, stupid now.

Why are you bringing facts and such into this. That means nothing to him

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
and my hate for soccer has nothing to do with trophies.

Martianlander
06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I would be willing to listen to your arguments more if you could link to a study that was at least correlating the two. Coming on a message board and saying that you think soccer is creating entitled millennials is unadulterated bullshit.

That's like saying "Well Orcs and Unicorns are responsible for the death of Leprechauns." You can say whatever the **** you want if you don't have any scientific evidence to back it up.
Please don't start on the Unicorn debate or we never will end this thread.

TheRef
06-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Please don't start on the Unicorn debate or we never will end this thread.

UNICORN MASTER RACE!!!!!!1111!!1!1!!!11111!!111

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Debate? What debate. They're real. I owned one named Jesse

Martianlander
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
See here we go!

Charlie_Sheen420
06-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Curmudgeon, lets say Mississippi State had an official NCAA men's soccer team, and that soccer team somehow managed to get to the finals and were playing for a national championship. Do you hate soccer so much that you would pull against your alma mater possibly winning a national championship?

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Another red herring. But I don't discuss soccer, nor do I discuss fantasy. MSU will never have an intercollegiate varsity men's soccer team.

MadDawg
06-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Yep, its complete bullshit, too.

If I were dictator, youth sports teams would get three trophies: MVP, Most Improved, and Best Sportmanship.

The worst trophy/award you can ever earn: Most Improved

It speaks a lot more to how much you sucked before than how good you are now.

curmudgeon
06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
How well one improves is a very important life gauge. I start every morning by focusing on how much I can improve from yesterday. It's served me pretty well over the years.

Sorry, add that to the list of things soccer fans hate: recognizing improvement.

MadDawg
06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
How well one improves is a very important life gauge. I start every morning by focusing on how much I can improve from yesterday. It's served me pretty well over the years.

Sorry, add that to the list of things soccer fans hate: recognizing improvement.

I find it interesting the person complaining about the *****fication of America champions the most ***** award ever created.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Yall settle it with a feats of strength.

Everyone gets a trophy when it is over.

MadDawg
06-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Yall settle it with a feats of strength.

Everyone gets a trophy when it is over.

That sounds good. Even the person in last place could get the "Most Improved" trophy.

hacker
06-17-2014, 03:15 PM
like everything else, it will take about 10 years after soccer becomes mainstream in the rest of America before Mississippi gets it.

curmudgeon will be rooting for us in 2022 Qatar

DudyDawg
06-17-2014, 03:30 PM
like everything else, it will take about 10 years after soccer becomes mainstream in the rest of America before Mississippi gets it.

It'll prolly be on us soil. At least I think it will

Dawg61
06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Haha Qatar isn't getting the Cup. They have so many hurdles they have to accomplish to get it. It'll get taken from them because they paid off whoever to win it. One of the hurdles is to build an entire new CITY. That is not going to get accomplished. They are still pushing dirt around when they have to build an entire brand new city with a population of 200,000. Right now it's a population of zero with zero buildings finished. Oh yea they also have to build airports, roads, train stations, bus stations and NINE BRAND NEW STADIUMS on top of building a brand new city, establishing a brand new professional soccer league and figuring out how to get around the unbelievably hot 120 degree summer temperatures in Qatar. They are morons and they won't get the World Cup. It'll go back to the rewarding stage and this late in the process gives advantage to it being rewarded to the most ready nation and guess who that is? USA. We already have lined up the twenty stadiums we will use. Closest to us are Nashville, Atlanta, Kansas City, Dallas and Houston. Start making plans boys the World Cup will be back in USA in eight years.

BrunswickDawg
06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

You could argue that it is mainstream now - MLS has the 3rd highest avg. attendance per event in US pro sports - trailing the NFL and MLB and ahead of NBA and NHL LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance#MLS_attendance_vs._ other_US_major_sports)