PDA

View Full Version : Way to make us proud today, USA!!

CadaverDawg
06-16-2014, 08:06 PM
As someone that isn't a huge soccer fan....you guys totally had me sucked in to that game. Proud that we are competing at a higher level than ever in soccer, and that we took the largest crowd to Brazil. Nothing like cheering on the red, white, and blue as they rise to the occasion on the biggest stage in soccer. That game tonight has this ole football and baseball lover ready for some soccer on Thursday.

Now let's get after Portugal!!

USA! USA! USA!

TheRef
06-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Good thing for us, Portugal has lost their best defender due to a red card in today's match against Germany and might have lost their second best defender to injury. Good news for us.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Good thing for us, Portugal has lost their best defender due to a red card in today's match against Germany and might have lost their second best defender to injury. Good news for us.

Yep, I'm a little worried about no Altidore though. Can some of you more knowledgeable soccer guys tell me if that could be a killer for us? Every time I have watched us, Altidore seems to be a pretty big factor in our offense. Can we replace him easily? I figured more people would be talking about that

TheRef
06-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Yep, I'm a little worried about no Altidore though. Can some of you more knowledgeable soccer guys tell me if that could be a killer for us? Every time I have watched us, Altidore seems to be a pretty big factor in our offense. Can we replace him easily? I figured more people would be talking about that

If we do end up losing Altidore then it is definitely a huge blow to our offense. He's a huge cog, but I believe that if we are able to practice with our new forwards then we will be just fine...ish.... We'll know more about Altidore tomorrow when they run tests.

DawgSaint
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I'll admit that I only watch soccer during the World Cup every 4 years, but the passion and pride displayed in the World Cup is why I love sports!!

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 08:16 PM

It could be a killer, in a way. Not necessarily scoring, bc we have guys who can score loads on the bench. The biggest problem is that we lose his ability to bring down balls and control them to help us possess. All those balls our defenders smashed today that Ghana got right back and into play, those are the balls he wins and helps our defense. That's where his loss will be felt

CadaverDawg
06-16-2014, 08:20 PM
It could be a killer, in a way. Not necessarily scoring, bc we have guys who can score loads on the bench. The biggest problem is that we lose his ability to bring down balls and control them to help us possess. All those balls our defenders smashed today that Ghana got right back and into play, those are the balls he wins and helps our defense. That's where his loss will be felt

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. I really hope he's ok, but it doesn't sound promising.

I am at a conference with 150 colleagues, and the restaurant our conference was held in absolutely erupted when we scored the 2 goals and won tonight. It sent chills down my spine. I'm guilty of being a patriotic son of a bitch, and it's awesome. Seeing Dempsey pumping his fist and yelling up to the American crowd after that first goal, is what being a sports fan and an American are all about IMO.

ShotgunDawg
06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
I think we play next on Sunday. Soccer is a lot like football, in that the game is so exhausting physically, that you only play once, maybe twice a week.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2014, 08:27 PM
I think we play next on Sunday. Soccer is a lot like football, in that the game is so exhausting physically, that you only play once, maybe twice a week.

Oh, my bad. For so,e reason I thought we played Thursday but I think you're right

TheRef
06-16-2014, 08:27 PM

We play Sunday v. Portugal at 5:00 PM CDT. Then we play the next Thursday v. Germany at 11:00 AM CDT.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Spot on as far as international play goes. Due to the considerable smaller teams as compared to clubs, the 23 man limit means more rest is needed

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Altidore is my favorite player because of his style of play... And I think we missed it tonight and will miss it for however long he's out not having a Mac truck up front... But he's far away from being our best striker. Aron is probably the most gifted soccer player on our team, he's just extremely young and has very little experience. That's where not having him scares me. That and not being able to barrel over a 5'9" 145lbs defender with a FS sized striker.

Basically we can hope for the best but rest assured that we're in good hands with Aron. He'll likely end his USMNT career among the top scoring players in history by the time he's done.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Is there any chance we can, and do add Landon Donovan to the roster if Altadore is done? If so, how might that help and/or hurt our chances?

TheRef
06-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Is there any chance we can, and do add Landon Donovan to the roster if Altadore is done? If so, how might that help and/or hurt our chances?

Once we play our first match, we're stuck with the roster we have. No way to add Donovan now.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-16-2014, 08:40 PM

I was wondering the same thing, but apparently we cant. Wish he could get one last chance.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Nope. Rosters are locked 24 hours before your team kicks off the first game

gtowndawg
06-16-2014, 09:10 PM
As someone that isn't a huge soccer fan....you guys totally had me sucked in to that game. Proud that we are competing at a higher level than ever in soccer, and that we took the largest crowd to Brazil. Nothing like cheering on the red, white, and blue as they rise to the occasion on the biggest stage in soccer. That game tonight has this ole football and baseball lover ready for some soccer on Thursday.

Now let's get after Portugal!!

USA! USA! USA!

and on a side note, God Bless Ian Darke. He's achieved Jack Cristil status with me over the years. It will be hard to watch a big US soccer game without him calling it one day.

sandwolf
06-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I am at a conference with 150 colleagues, and the restaurant our conference was held in absolutely erupted when we scored the 2 goals and won tonight. It sent chills down my spine. I'm guilty of being a patriotic son of a bitch, and it's awesome. Seeing Dempsey pumping his fist and yelling up to the American crowd after that first goal, is what being a sports fan and an American are all about IMO.

This right here is why I don't understand how anyone, whether they like soccer or not, can hate on the World Cup. You ever seen the youtube video of people from different cities all around the country reacting to Landon Donovan's goal in the last WC? I have seen it 5 or 6 times and every time it gives me chills....it is just pretty damn cool seeing the whole country put aside all their differences, unite and get behind those guys.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-16-2014, 10:52 PM
The win today was more majestic than a bald eagle getting a handjob from the statue of liberty

TheRef
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
The win today was more majestic than a bald eagle getting a handjob from the statue of liberty

While Abraham Lincoln and George Washington watch along while smoking a cigarette.

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 11:03 PM
and on a side note, God Bless Ian Darke. He's achieved Jack Cristil status with me over the years. It will be hard to watch a big US soccer game without him calling it one day.

Haha love Ian Darke, he's a huge reason why I watch the EPL games. I can't stand the one announcer that just rattles off players last names every time the ball is passed. Ugh that guy is so terrible. Anyone else catch when Darke accidentally called Biden the President and then laughed for a minute about it?

TheRef
06-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Haha love Ian Darke, he's a huge reason why I watch the EPL games. I can't stand the one announcer that just rattles off players last names every time the ball is passed. Ugh that guy is so terrible. Anyone else catch when Darke accidentally called Biden the President and then laughed for a minute about it?

We were laughing at Dave's saying that Biden was just there to creep on the women and drink all the beer. Then we said that he probably has no idea what's going on but he doesn't care because he's in the World's Largest Party.

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 11:18 PM
We were laughing at Dave's saying that Biden was just there to creep on the women and drink all the beer. Then we said that he probably has no idea what's going on but he doesn't care because he's in the World's Largest Party.

Haha Joe Biden is looking for Adrianna Lima after C34's poll