PDA

View Full Version : C'mon Ghana!!!! Kick that Ball...Kick that Ball!!!!!

Coach34
06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
http://imageion.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/national-ghana-flag-download.jpg

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
If I understand the book of faces, we have to beat Ghana to have any chance.

So go Ghana. Death to soccer.

RUN UP THE FIELD
RUN DOWN THE FIELD
GHANA NEVER YIELD!

DanDority
06-16-2014, 12:44 PM
When does this communistic event kick off?

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.troll.me/images2/grammar-correction-guy/eat-shit.jpg

Intramural All-American
06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Haha, you really are a miserable human being. Congrats.

This goes for you, as well, curmudgeon.

smootness
06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Good job being a douche.

BTW, a loss to Ghana is not going to kill soccer in this country. Honestly, there's not really anything that's going to slow it down at this point so you might as well just accept that there are going to be a lot of people who like it, watch it, and keep up with it.

I know that for some reason this will make your life worse, but it is what it is.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Good job being a douche.

BTW, a loss to Ghana is not going to kill soccer in this country. Honestly, there's not really anything that's going to slow it down at this point so you might as well just accept that there are going to be a lot of people who like it, watch it, and keep up with it.

I know that for some reason this will make your life worse, but it is what it is.
MLS already outdraws NBA and NHL in attendance.

I'm sure someone on here will tell me that's because of illegal immigrants though.

I read a long article yesterday on this very subject, America's sudden interest in soccer. I don't think a lot of people realize a massive part of it is due to Lamar Hunt (founder of the AFL, co-founder of the Chicago Bulls) dumping a fortune in MLS fully knowing he wouldn't make money on it. Just thought it would be good for the sport in America. And the reason the MLS even exists is because it was part of an agreement between FIFA and the US to be allowed to hold the 1994 World Cup, which to this day is the highest attended and most watched in history.

Soccer is growing in the US for the same reason it is so popular around the world. It costs $0 to play at its lowest form. It doesn't require pads, equipment, or much of anything. And here in the US every dipshit local government will contract a 17 ton of soccer fields to feed some construction company even if ony 10 kids play the sport in their area... Like Starkville. That in turn means that more and more kids will play.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Don't understand what you're trying to accomplish by posting. If you don't like soccer, don't watch. Grow up

Todd4State
06-16-2014, 01:00 PM
If you don't take that back, I'm going to write a letter to the newspaper in Lafayette and tell them how much you love Ole Miss.

Todd4State
06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

I'm sure someone on here will tell me that's because of illegal immigrants though.

That's interesting. Outdrawing the NBA really surprises me.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Bigger stadiums and free tickets will always outdraw small arenas with hefty price tags.

The most expensive season ticket in the MLS ($400, Portland) is less than a decent ticket to two games in the NBA.

Until little boys in America grow up wanting to be midfielders and goalies instead of shortstops, point guards and quarterbacks, we are always going to suck at it.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:06 PM
That's interesting. Outdrawing the NBA really surprises me.

Yeah, part of that is because most NBA arenas don't even hold as much as MLS averages, but either way, it's still interesting and fairly impressive.

If they could get 5,000 more people in an NBA arena, they would build them bigger, so the fact that more people are watching MLS games is noteable. They also play fewer games, so I'm guessing the overall number of attendees is higher in NBA and NHL, but the MLS is still not a world-class product.

It's going to come down to money. The more fan interest increases, the more clubs will be willing to spend to attract talent. The more talent that is attracted, the more top players will be willing to come to the US. I honestly think we're probably only 10-15 years away from the MLS being seen as a fairly good league. I doubt it ever reaches the level of the top few leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany), but it definitely can compete with those just below that. And who knows, if soccer ever truly takes off and becomes one of the top few sports in the country, you could see an elite league at some point in the future.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:06 PM

It's all the Hispanics in Seattle

Charlie_Sheen420
06-16-2014, 01:07 PM
These 2 must have been pulling for the Soviet Union in the Olympics in 1980 as well....that's just sad

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Bigger stadiums and free tickets will always outdraw small arenas with hefty price tags.

True, but the MLS is still a fledgling league, and soccer is still just in the very beginning stages of growth in this country. This is always the way things start.

No one is suggesting that soccer is more popular than basketball or that the MLS is a more successful league than the NBA. That would be absurd. But it's growing, and in some ways it's growing exponentially. Get used to it.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm not pulling against the United States. I am pulling against soccer.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, part of that is because most NBA arenas don't even hold as much as MLS averages, but either way, it's still interesting and fairly impressive.

If they could get 5,000 more people in an NBA arena, they would build them bigger, so the fact that more people are watching MLS games is noteable. They also play fewer games, so I'm guessing the overall number of attendees is higher in NBA and NHL, but the MLS is still not a world-class product.

It's going to come down to money. The more fan interest increases, the more clubs will be willing to spend to attract talent. The more talent that is attracted, the more top players will be willing to come to the US. I honestly think we're probably only 10-15 years away from the MLS being seen as a fairly good league. I doubt it ever reaches the level of the top few leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany), but it definitely can compete with those just below that. And who knows, if soccer ever truly takes off and becomes one of the top few sports in the country, you could see an elite league at some point in the future.

Boom. Nailed it. Here in New York season tickets for the new MLS club playing in Yankee Stadium start at $500. $500! And I could see David Villa!

But the seasons are short, the product isn't what it is on TV elsewhere... But it's growing. Dempsey makes 8 figures, Bradley makes pretty close... And the stigma has largely gone away from the years of the backwards clock and all the America-isms. MLS is starting to bid and win players away from 2nd tier English teams. Ireland's league has gone to shit because of it.

This next CBA will be interesting. Chivas USA lost their team for being racist so that'll be interesting, and then they add 3 teams in key areas (NYC, Atlanta, and Miami). I expect a new minimum and a higher salary cap.

It'll never compete with European soccer (this is enough to make some people not want to watch) but it can be the forefront of the 2nd tier instead of Turkey or whoever.

ETA: NBA games are extremely cheap outside of large market games. Before I moved I could get Hornets tickets (with CP3!!!!) for around $10, and just for fun I looked up tickets this past season against the Grizzlies (after 4 starters were deemed out) and tickets were as low as $4. Knicks tickets never fall below $75, but I've caught a dozen Nets games against some marquee names and I've never paid more than $25 a ticket. And the Barclays is the smallest arena in the NBA, so none of them were bad tickets...

I tried to go to the Turkey game a couple weeks ago at Red Bull Stadium and the cheapest ticket was $135. It would take me an hour to get to Red Bull so I would never spend money to go to a regular game there, but on stubhub tickets generally run for around the same as non-Knicks tickets. So the whole free ticket thing? I don't know if that's the case. Maybe in the beginning. But I'm also not insinuating the MLS is more popular or in any way better than the NBA. It's just not that different as far as $$$$. It's the number of games that make me unable to afford NBA tickets.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

RUN UP THE FIELD
RUN DOWN THE FIELD
GHANA NEVER YIELD!
The US is playing Ghana, and you are pulling for Ghana, therefore you are against the United States.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
I would cheer for Ole Miss if their winning would clinch us an SEC West championship.

I will cheer for Ghana if their winning would shut up the soccer crowd.

I hate soccer and Ole Miss equally.

SignalToNoise
06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Posts like this baffle me.

I bet you assholes stay up all night to get Olympic coverage of the US women's curling team but well SOCCER IS JSUT STOOPID AND BOARING LOL. Figured most of you turds would at least play the patriotic angle and root for the US tonight.

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Just wait till they put 2 teams in the EPL from the US and two football teams from England in the NFL. These two leagues are working together to grow each others respective leagues. Something like 10 owners of NFL teams also own EPL teams.

gtowndawg

RUN UP THE FIELD
RUN DOWN THE FIELD
GHANA NEVER YIELD!

My Dad refuses to watch SportsCenter until the world cup is over. Meanwhile, I've watched 2 world cup games, will watch all the US games and I have a World Cup app so I get updates on every game. Haven't watched one inning of the CWS, and not because TSUN is in it. I never do unless we are in it. Just the way it is.

Coach34
I'm not pulling against the United States. I am pulling against soccer.

well said.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
I would cheer for Ole Miss if their winning would clinch us an SEC West championship.

I will cheer for Ghana if their winning would shut up the soccer crowd.

I hate soccer and Ole Miss equally.

The soccer crowd won't shut up considering the tournament lasts a month regardless if the us wins or not. It's the largest sporting event on earth, and it won't go away. No point in y'all still being whiney and bitching about it. If you don't like it, change the channel

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I also contribute the pussification of America to the rise of youth soccer. I can make you a graph if you'd like.

This everyone gets a trophy BS is because of soccer. You can't get your ass whipped in soccer. 3-0 is an asswhipping but it doesn't feel like it to the losing team. So those losers grow up and feel like they are "almost as good" as the winners. "At least we didn't get beat 49-0 like that loser football team."

Those soccer playing losers are the ones that see no problem with government charging 15% in taxes on a gallon of gas but want to riot if a corporation dares to make 4%. All because when they were little kids their parents made them run up and down a field and kick a ball.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Boom. Nailed it. Here in New York season tickets for the new MLS club playing in Yankee Stadium start at $500. $500! And I could see David Villa!

I'm probably going to buy season tickets for the team here in Atlanta in a few years, especially if we can grab a couple of talented players right away. With Arthur Blank as owner, I have no doubt he'll want to grab some headlines early, so I'm expecting us to have at least one player who was world class at one point.

Coach34
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM

I totally disagree. Each time we lay a turd in the World Cup- it slows its growth.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Just wait till they put 2 teams in the EPL from the US and two football teams from England in the NFL. These two leagues are working together to grow each others respective leagues. Something like 10 owners of NFL teams also own EPL teams.

There will never be Premier League teams in the US. That is not ever going to happen.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I also contribute the pussification of America to the rise of youth soccer. I can make you a graph if you'd like.

This everyone gets a trophy BS is because of soccer. You can't get your ass whipped in soccer. 3-0 is an asswhipping but it doesn't feel like it to the losing team. So those losers grow up and feel like they are "almost as good" as the winners. "At least we didn't get beat 49-0 like that loser football team."

Those soccer playing losers are the ones that see no problem with government charging 15% in taxes on a gallon of gas but want to riot if a corporation dares to make 4%. All because when they were little kids their parents made them run up and down a field and kick a ball.

You're insane.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I totally disagree. Each time we lay a turd in the World Cup- it slows its growth.

No, it doesn't. There's a reason ESPN is showing more and more Premier League games and more and more soccer programming period, much of which doesn't include the US. And isn't because people are excited about the US national team.

Soccer fandom is exploding in the US, and a lot of that has nothing to do with the US itself. The increase in interest in the US men's national team has much more to do with increase in soccer and the World Cup in general than the other way around.

Also, youth soccer is absolutely growing, and that definitely has little to do with the World Cup success of the US. As more and more kids play soccer, there will be more and more people playing and more and more people who care about the sport. It's going to continue to grow. Hoping and praying the US loses so soccer will die (which in and of itself is insane, regardless of whether or not it is effective) is a losing battle that will only continue to infuriate you.

Martianlander
06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
First let me say that I'm pulling for the USA to win. But as far as soccer, I've been hearing for 30+ years that when this generation of kids gets older soccer is going to be the sport. Youth and high school soccer is big but it has never translated to the pros. Years and years ago when Kyle Rote Jr. signed a pro soccer contract, this was supposed to be the turning point. Didn't happen. Maybe this generation will be "the one to make it happen", but I doubt it.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:28 PM
The 1994 real World Cup and the 1999 Titty World Cup being held on American soil are right up there with the worst things that this country has ever done.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm probably going to buy season tickets for the team here in Atlanta in a few years, especially if we can grab a couple of talented players right away. With Arthur Blank as owner, I have no doubt he'll want to grab some headlines early, so I'm expecting us to have at least one player who was world class at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta in that stadium draw Seattle type numbers. And I would expect them to follow the same model of signing USMNT players... And Howard would be in the twilight years of his career and would make a great introductory veteran signing.

Lot of money going into it. Renaldo makes $21m/yr.... SOMEONE will come along and offer a guy those numbers in the MLS at some point or another. Like if Jerry bought Dallas or something.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
The 1994 real World Cup and the 1999 Titty World Cup being held on American soil are right up there with the worst things that this country has ever done.

The World Cup might be coming back to the USA in 2022 due to the current circumstances with Qatar. Will you leave the country for a month if that happens in 2022?

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Considering we haven't really laid a turd since 1990's O-fer, I don't know what you're talking about. We reached the round of 16 last time! That's insanely awesome! An English national paper had a big headline the day of our match saying they were going to kill us and we blanked them.

No turds being laid.

I'll be interested to see tonight's #'s. It'll outdraw the NBA Finals by a mile.

Also........ Youth soccer. It's top notch. Our U17 team is world class. Our U17 team has never been world class before. We beat Brazil 5-0 in Brazil recently. It's coming!

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
OMEONE will come along and offer a guy those numbers in the MLS at some point or another.

You mean like this?

http://www.espnfc.com/story/399471/beckham-agrees-five-year-$250m-la-galaxy-deal

This was the last "big thing" the soccer crowd told us was going to change soccer in this country. All that washed up guy did was enjoy celebrity status with his smoking hot wife and steal money from the LA Galaxy.

TheRef
06-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Just to spite y'all, I'm going to post a BPL update thread every month.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:36 PM

We get that you don't like soccer. Good for you. But maybe stop posting. You are making yourself sound stupid.

dawgs

The most expensive season ticket in the MLS ($400, Portland) is less than a decent ticket to two games in the NBA.

Until little boys in America grow up wanting to be midfielders and goalies instead of shortstops, point guards and quarterbacks, we are always going to suck at it.

If you asked 10 year old American kids today, I'd bet you'd be surprised how many would rather grow up to be a pro soccer player compared to other sports.

Football would probably still lead the way, but if you don't think the concussion issues are going to play a huge role in dwindling numbers and quality of play from less hitting in practice, potential loss of HS programs due to insurance costs, etc. over the next 20-30 years, then you've got your head in the sand.

curmudgeon
Oh man, we made the round of 16???? Like only 15 other countries did that? That changes my mind entirely. Wait? What's that Kenny Powers?

"I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good." - Kenny Powers

You're right, Kenny. Being in the final 16 is horsecrap.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:37 PM
OMEONE will come along and offer a guy those numbers in the MLS at some point or another.

You mean like this?

http://www.espnfc.com/story/399471/beckham-agrees-five-year-$250m-la-galaxy-deal

This was the last "big thing" the soccer crowd told us was going to change soccer in this country. All that washed up guy did was enjoy celebrity status with his smoking hot wife and steal money from the LA Galaxy.

And win championships. But hey, who's paying attention

smootness
First let me say that I'm pulling for the USA to win. But as far as soccer, I've been hearing for 30+ years that when this generation of kids gets older soccer is going to be the sport. Youth and high school soccer is big but it has never translated to the pros. Years and years ago when Kyle Rote Jr. signed a pro soccer contract, this was supposed to be the turning point. Didn't happen. Maybe this generation will be "the one to make it happen", but I doubt it.

But you're missing what has already happened. No, it isn't the sport, but predicting that to happen in one generation was ridiculous to begin with.

But look where soccer in this country was 20 years ago; it doesn't even compare to where it is now. ESPN would have laughed at showing any level of soccer then. Now, they're bidding like crazy to add more programming. Why? Because people are watching and people care.

20 years ago, mentioning even the World Cup to most people would have drawn blank stares. Now, I have a bunch of friends who can carry on a conversation about the Premier League. And these are mostly people who knew nothing about soccer several years ago.

There's not going to be a point in time where suddenly soccer jumps from where it is now to the top sport in the country. I don't know if it will ever get all the way there, but its growth is going to happen gradually. But it has already begun. If you think it's where it has been in the past, you're mistaken.

esplanade91

You mean like this?

No, I don't mean like Beckham. When I said that it was obviously insinuating someone NOT like Beckham.

If I were an MLS team I'd buy Chicharito from Man U, someone like that. I'd expect Julian Green to be bought from Bayurn Munich too. Those guys would command above-MLS grade money as it stands now.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
If you asked 10 year old American kids today, I'd bet you'd be surprised how many would rather grow up to be a pro soccer player compared to other sports.

Football would probably still lead the way, but if you don't think the concussion issues are going to play a huge role in dwindling numbers and quality of play from less hitting in practice, potential loss of HS programs due to insurance costs, etc. over the next 20-30 years, then you've got your head in the sand.

Soccer brainwashing at its finest. Same crap in the 70s, 80s, during the 90s Soccer Craze and even now. The only thing that would make soccer at least interesting to 97% of Americans would be a World Cup. Then we'd lose interest when football starts. Preseason football.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:40 PM
But you're missing what has already happened. No, it isn't the sport, but predicting that to happen in one generation was ridiculous to begin with.

But look where soccer in this country was 20 years ago; it doesn't even compare to where it is now. ESPN would have laughed at showing any level of soccer then. Now, they're bidding like crazy to add more programming. Why? Because people are watching and people care.

20 years ago, mentioning even the World Cup to most people would have drawn blank stares. Now, I have a bunch of friends who can carry on a conversation about the Premier League. And these are mostly people who knew nothing about soccer several years ago.

There's not going to be a point in time where suddenly soccer jumps from where it is now to the top sport in the country. I don't know if it will ever get all the way there, but its growth is going to happen gradually. But it has already begun. If you think it's where it has been in the past, you're mistaken.
Not to mention you'd never expect guys with dual citizenship to pick us over any European nation.

We have had numerous guys do so (Jones grew up in Mississippi for a second if you want to have someone to pull for) and 2 more are coming over later this year, two guys on Arsenal's 1st team.

Even if the NFL and NCAA football gets so pussified it becomes flag or 2 hand touch, it'll always be my favorite sport. I would imagine that would be the case for most of you too. What I don't understand is the people who hate soccer BECAUSE of their fan hood of football. Do y'all feel threatened? Invaded? What is it?

dawgs
06-16-2014, 01:41 PM

But the seasons are short, the product isn't what it is on TV elsewhere... But it's growing. Dempsey makes 8 figures, Bradley makes pretty close... And the stigma has largely gone away from the years of the backwards clock and all the America-isms. MLS is starting to bid and win players away from 2nd tier English teams. Ireland's league has gone to shit because of it.

This next CBA will be interesting. Chivas USA lost their team for being racist so that'll be interesting, and then they add 3 teams in key areas (NYC, Atlanta, and Miami). I expect a new minimum and a higher salary cap.

It'll never compete with European soccer (this is enough to make some people not want to watch) but it can be the forefront of the 2nd tier instead of Turkey or whoever.

ETA: NBA games are extremely cheap outside of large market games. Before I moved I could get Hornets tickets (with CP3!!!!) for around $10, and just for fun I looked up tickets this past season against the Grizzlies (after 4 starters were deemed out) and tickets were as low as $4. Knicks tickets never fall below $75, but I've caught a dozen Nets games against some marquee names and I've never paid more than $25 a ticket. And the Barclays is the smallest arena in the NBA, so none of them were bad tickets...

I tried to go to the Turkey game a couple weeks ago at Red Bull Stadium and the cheapest ticket was $135. It would take me an hour to get to Red Bull so I would never spend money to go to a regular game there, but on stubhub tickets generally run for around the same as non-Knicks tickets. So the whole free ticket thing? I don't know if that's the case. Maybe in the beginning. But I'm also not insinuating the MLS is more popular or in any way better than the NBA. It's just not that different as far as $$$$. It's the number of games that make me unable to afford NBA tickets.

MLS season is like 9 months long. Hardly short. Yeah only like 34 games total + playoffs but that's on par with your typical soccer season.

Also the cost of attending the game is precisely one of the reasons you see soccer's popularity going up in young adults and kids. I can go to a soccer match for <$50, that includes a decent seat, a couple of beers, and a hot dog. Same at a nba game is going to be $100 at least. If you want to see a live sporting event and aren't a die hard nba fan, which makes more sense? If you wanna take your kids to a game, what makes more sense?

MSUDawg4Life
06-16-2014, 01:42 PM

You might not want to do that, Ann.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Soccer brainwashing at its finest. Same crap in the 70s, 80s, during the 90s Soccer Craze and even now. The only thing that would make soccer at least interesting to 97% of Americans would be a World Cup. Then we'd lose interest when football starts. Preseason football.

More than three percent of America likes soccer excluding the world
Cup

TheRef
06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
You might not want to do that, Ann.

I just want to make a point to annoy C34 and Curmudgeon just once a month...that's all. Have a little fun with them. I'm sure they understand.

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
There will never be Premier League teams in the US. That is not ever going to happen.

Why because the Premier League isn't interested in quadrupling its value? Money talks and the US market's potential can't be matched when you include population, advertising and television. A struggling EPL franchise can move to NYC and will suddenly rival the Yankees in value. It's going to happen. It takes less time to fly from London to NYC than the Seattle Seahawks take to fly to Miami. Why do you think every year EPL teams play friendlies over here and every year the NFL plays regular season games in London. The absolute best way for them to explode in each market is to put a franchise there. I can't wait.

dawgs
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM

1 generation isn't going to take the USA from a country failing to qualify for the World Cup for like 40 straight years to a country winning the World Cup. If you don't see a huge difference in the us national team and us's presence internationally in high quality leagues today v. 20-30 years ago, then you are just being willfully ignorant.

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
More than three percent of America likes soccer excluding the world
Cup

No way. 3 percent is 10 million. There are barely that many "diehard" NFL fans. Most of this country really doesn't care about sports. Get your head out of SEC country for a second.

Its the same argument I make when everyone says Directv has to get the SEC network because of the subscribers they will lose. They would lose far more customers if they raised package prices to accommodate what the SEC Network is adding than they would if they didn't add it.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Who is coming from Arsenal?

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
MLS season is like 9 months long. Hardly short. Yeah only like 34 games total + playoffs but that's on par with your typical soccer season.

Also the cost of attending the game is precisely one of the reasons you see soccer's popularity going up in young adults and kids. I can go to a soccer match for <$50, that includes a decent seat, a couple of beers, and a hot dog. Same at a nba game is going to be $100 at least. If you want to see a live sporting event and aren't a die hard nba fan, which makes more sense? If you wanna take your kids to a game, what makes more sense?

Yep. MLB offers a $500 season ticket package but it's for X amount of games, none of which you can pick marquee games from.

When it comes down to it, it's about the experience. I don't have an NBA team I'm emotionally attached to like I am the bulldogs or Saints. Why not go to a LEGITIMATE (FIFA sanctioned, plays in the CONCACAF World Cup bracket) league game that competes with other US cities with a significant majority of American players? It's exciting, it's fun, it's better than sitting on my couch eating potato chips watching football highlights and stalking recruits all alone in my living room. Sure, when football season starts I could honestly not give a shit what's happening... But that's how it begins.

starkvegasdawg
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Sweet mercy can fall practice hurry up and get here so we can argue over the OL depth and start getting our panties in a wad over recruiting on a regular basis?

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 01:52 PM
No way. 3 percent is 10 million. There are barely that many "diehard" NFL fans. Most of this country really doesn't care about sports. Get your head out of SEC country for a second.

Its the same argument I make when everyone says Directv has to get the SEC network because of the subscribers they will lose. They would lose far more customers if they raised package prices to accommodate what the SEC Network is adding than they would if they didn't add it.

Get your head out of SEC country and realize that soccer is bigger nationally than you think. It isn't that big
In the south. Yet. It will be when teams get added to Atlanta and Miami.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:55 PM

There are hardly 10,000,000 NFL fans? Bro... Step off the crack pipe. There are probably 10,000,000 Dallas Cowboy fans in Texas alone.

In NYC (it's multicultural, I'll give you that) there is a "club bar" for every EPL, La Liga, and MLS franchise in Manhattan alone. I'd venture to say there are almost if not more a million people* in New York who actually follow soccer.

*legal citizens

Who is coming from Arsenal?
Can't ever remember his name. He's 17. He lived in DC for 6 years and qualifies for citizenship so he became a legal citizen earlier this summer to be eligible to play for the USA. A younger player followed suit.

smootness
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM

So you're counting the entire population in the 97%? Meaning 2-year-olds and women. Come on.

There's no doubt there is a sizeable chunk of people who like sports who are soccer fans. Incredibly more than 3%.

TimberBeast
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Good job being a douche.

It slows down a little bit every year when kids turn 10 and realize they don't want to play it anymore and choose an actual sport, and then the next crop of 5 years olds start. It's not growing, it's just exercise for children until they figure out which sport they want to play.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Get your head out of SEC country and realize that soccer is bigger nationally than you think. It isn't that big
In the south. Yet. It will be when teams get added to Atlanta and Miami.
And Orlando.

smootness
06-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Can't ever remember his name. He's 17. He lived in DC for 6 years and qualifies for citizenship so he became a legal citizen earlier this summer to be eligible to play for the USA. A younger player followed suit.

Just read about him, Gedion Zelalem. Wow, that is going to be huge. He and Julian Green would have to be considered the top young talents we've ever had. Klinsmann is doing a great job on the youth levels.

smootness
06-16-2014, 02:00 PM
It slows down a little bit every year when kids turn 10 and realize they don't want to play it anymore and choose an actual sport, and then the next crop of 5 years olds start. It's not growing, it's just exercise for children until they figure out which sport they want to play.

K. Keep telling yourself that.

TheRef
06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
We'll just let them keep thinking what they're thinking. Meanwhile, I'll be cheering on the Yanks from Starkville along with the majority of the nation.

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 02:02 PM

I would consider a large chunk of the 32 million people who watched the first round of THE NFL DRAFT die hard. You're off base, wrong, and sound like your f'n stupid. Just turn your desktop off grampa

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Has no one seen twitter today? Every non-soccer playing American athlete aside from the Miami Heat have tweeted about tonight's game. Aaron Rogers tweeted himself wearing a jersey. But that was the norm 20, 30, and 40 years ago? Right.

gtowndawg
06-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Has no one seen twitter today? Every non-soccer playing American athlete aside from the Miami Heat have tweeted about tonight's game. Aaron Rogers tweeted himself wearing a jersey. But that was the norm 20, 30, and 40 years ago? Right.

I know, because the Atlanta Braves re-tweeted him.

USA! USA! USA!

edited to add some epic cloyd rivers tweets today:

To all the folks sayin' that Team USA is gonna lose today: Not Ghana happen. Merica.

"Ghana is rationing electricity to make sure people can watch today’s World Cup match" - Turned on every light in my house. Suck it. Merica.

USA: 0-19 in World Cups. 2-0 in World Wars. Merica.

Ran outside wearin' nut huggin' soccerboy shorts, chantin' USA. Slidetackled a fat kid & yelled,"Rise & shine, it's World Cup time. Merica."

Dirtbagdawg
06-16-2014, 02:59 PM
If you don't like the World Cup 17 you! Some
Of y'all need to grow up and quit being so damn closed
Minded about things and acting like damn rednecks. " yee haw **** that soccer bullshit it's communist ."
It's downright disgraceful to pull against
Your own country because you dislike the sport. Soccer is HUGE for a reason. College football
Doesn't even compare to the popularity. In this country, yes. But you're showing
Your ignorance by bashing the most popular sport ever.

Statefan
06-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Wait a minute. So the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is playing one of it's most important and most anticipated soccer games of all time, and there is a pro Ghana thread on here?

Completely embarrassing and anti-American

DAK_Dynasty
06-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Posts like this are the reason everyone makes fun of this website. You can add "retarded views to international sports" to the list of reasons people make fun of the website and the people who run it. Truly embarrassing to Mississippi State University.

Intramural All-American
06-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Well, everyone knows C34 is a douche, curmudgeon is confirming it as well. If you dislike soccer, don't pay attention. Don't berate the game just to piss off other people.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-16-2014, 03:06 PM
I was actually thinking it'd be pretty cool to start doing something like this. Make it happen

TheRef
06-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I was actually thinking it'd be pretty cool to start doing something like this. Make it happen

Will do. I'll do BPL and Champions League when it starts.

Martianlander
06-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Will do. I'll do BPL and Champions League when it starts.

How about a WWE thread? That should work some people up.

Dawg61
06-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Posts like this are the reason everyone makes fun of this website. You can add "retarded views to international sports" to the list of reasons people make fun of the website and the people who run it. Truly embarrassing to Mississippi State University.

For a slow Monday he drove up traffic. Still grabbing the cheese in the mousetrap eh?

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-16-2014, 03:52 PM
How about a WWE thread? That should work some people up.
Go for it. You won't see me in that thread, but you also won't see me trashing it like a narrow minded hick.

Coach34
06-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Posts like this are the reason everyone makes fun of this website. .

What?

It's posts like this on Elitedawgs that get people banned for a month

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I looked up this "kicking England's ass" at the last World Cup that someone mentioned.

Are you kidding me?

It was a tie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_C

Coach34
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I looked up this "kicking England's ass" at the last World Cup that someone mentioned.

Are you kidding me?

It was a tie.

lmao...that's how bad soccer is. A tie is an "ass-kicking"

smootness
06-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Are you kidding me?

It was a tie.

That's not what he said. He said we blanked them; we didn't, they did score, but his point was that they were saying they would kill us, and they didn't.

sandwolf
06-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Wait a minute. So the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is playing one of it's most important and most anticipated soccer games of all time, and there is a pro Ghana thread on here?

Completely embarrassing and anti-American

Agreed.

sandwolf
06-16-2014, 04:58 PM
What?

It's posts like this on Elitedawgs that get people banned for a month

Uhhmmm, it's not an unfair point. Two days ago, I recommended this site to somebody who had never checked it out before.....told him it was a good site with a bunch of in depth discussion on MSU sports, and that most of the bullshit he had heard about it wasn't true. Then today I get on here to see that the founder of the website has started a thread about how he is pulling against his own ****ing country in the World Cup, because he doesn't like soccer. That is flat out embarrassing, and now I am really hoping that he doesn't get around to checking it out until this thread has disappeared from the front page.

War Machine Dawg
06-16-2014, 05:20 PM
You guys are all ridiculous. C34 has admitted on multiple occasions he loves to get under people's skin and takes great pleasure in doing so. He may legitimately dislike soccer, but this whole thread is him trolling the soccer crowd. It's pretty similar to how he started out with the Stans crowd, actually. And it's f'n genius, because with one post he's managed to generate a whole bunch of traffic for ED on what would otherwise have been a slow ass summer Monday.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2014, 07:55 PM
That's not what he said. He said we blanked them; we didn't, they did score, but his point was that they were saying they would kill us, and they didn't.

Wait a minute...so they didn't kill us, it ended in a tie, yet we can claim a win in the eyes of soccer? Isn't that very Ole Miss like? Is a tie considered a good thing in soccer (never played soccer or watched it)?

curmudgeon
06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Yes.

hacker
06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Wait a minute...so they didn't kill us, it ended in a tie, yet we can claim a win in the eyes of soccer? Isn't that very Ole Miss like? Is a tie considered a good thing in soccer (never played soccer or watched it)?

Yes, you get a point for a tie. And we advanced to the next round.

esplanade91
06-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Groups are set up by with a favorite and 3 qualifying teams who don't interfere with their hosting ground. A 1-1 tie over the #1 seed in a group (no 2-4) who was ranked top 5 in the world at the time is most definitely a win...

I swear to everything holy, you all did not graduate from MSU at a time when your professors could easily fact check any of y'all. That or you were terrible researchers. Or y'all didn't go to State. Or y'all just suck.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Groups are set up by with a favorite and 3 qualifying teams who don't interfere with their hosting ground. A 1-1 tie over the #1 seed in a group (no 2-4) who was ranked top 5 in the world at the time is most definitely a win...

I swear to everything holy, you all did not graduate from MSU at a time when your professors could easily fact check any of y'all. That or you were terrible researchers. Or y'all didn't go to State. Or y'all just suck.

Hey muther****er I said I never played soccer, watched it, or ever been exposed to it. Only rule I know for sure is you can't touch the ball with your hands unless you are the goalie. You need to get your damn BP down. Your response makes me want soccer to be outlawed on earth you asshat. You educated me with the first paragraph then you got ****ing stupid and decided to be someone who makes all the uneducated people like myself think there is a ****ing riot at every soccer match and you are the reason why. Asshole.

All a tie means to me is nothing happened.