PDA

View Full Version : I saw Yancy made a post last night entitled......

Goat Holder
06-16-2014, 09:42 AM
"You have to steal games sometimes". Now, I'm not a Scout subscriber so I don't know what context that was used in, but to me that sounds like he's trying to say that Virginia stole the game from Ole Miss. That's 100% false, they were dominated and Ole Miss was the one hoping to steal the game. Do any of you guys with subscriptions know what he truly meant, if you can't see the post?

If he meant Virginia, wow at that delusion. I get that Ole Miss had momentum due to getting out of jam after jam after jam, but damn, Virginia should have beaten them about 6-1.

RC3
06-16-2014, 09:47 AM
maybe he just meant that ole miss should or could have found a way to steal that game. they were dominated and almost one on one hit off kirby

Big4Dawg
From Yancy:

To get to the promise land.

OM needed to get two home in the 8th and Virginia made a questionable call to play the infield back with one out and it saved them a run as Holtz's hit would have scored two if the infield was in. Their coach ended up smelling like roses with that call. That call won them the game.

Ellis was not sharp but gutted it out.

Greenwood was one pitch away and could have ended the inning on the 2-2 pitch that the ump called a ball. Would I have pitched around Pappy with full count? Yes but Greenwood had found his groove again. He just put a pitch right down the middle of the plate that good hitters don't miss

Was Virginia better tonight? Yes. Does that mean that Virginia is the better team? No. One pitcher or one game doesn't make someone a better team.

There is a reason why OM has a much better hitting average through 60 plus games playing better competition than Virginia and a comparable pitching staff.

OM just got unfortunate to face the toughest team with perhaps the tournaments best pitcher in the first round.

The cards have been dealt badly all post season but OM keeps coming through.

Can they do it again? It will be tough but I wouldn't bet against this group.

They have their best pitcher, Trent, with Weathersby/Laxer to close out the game.

One game at a time. I doubt OM's offense has that kind of performance again this post season.

They just need to get a win under their belt to get back going.

I really believe this is the most well rounded team in the World Series. As you see in pro baseball the best team does not always win it but I wouldn't trade rosters with any of these teams.

RTO Dawg
The bears are star struck. Excuses coming...

Goat Holder
06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I agree with a lot of that, that's why I was hoping ULL would pull a miracle. But Ole Miss messed up last night. Now they have to win 4 games in a row just to get to the ch'ip series, with at least 3 of them being against national seeds with elite pitching depth (probably more than Ole Miss, who is deep themselves). I can't see that happening. Virginia dominated them statistically. Had they won last night however, they would be in the driver's seat to win the thing. Finnegan from TCU is pretty filthy though, that will be a great pitchers' dual Tuesday night.

msstate7
06-16-2014, 09:57 AM

OM needed to get two home in the 8th and Virginia made a questionable call to play the infield back with one out and it saved them a run as Holtz's hit would have scored two if the infield was in. Their coach ended up smelling like roses with that call. That call won them the game.

Greenwood was one pitch away and could have ended the inning on the 2-2 pitch that the ump called a ball. Would I have pitched around Pappy with full count? Yes but Greenwood had found his groove again. He just put a pitch right down the middle of the plate that good hitters don't miss

Was Virginia better tonight? Yes. Does that mean that Virginia is the better team? No. One pitcher or one game doesn't make someone a better team.

There is a reason why OM has a much better hitting average through 60 plus games playing better competition than Virginia and a comparable pitching staff.

OM just got unfortunate to face the toughest team with perhaps the tournaments best pitcher in the first round.

They have their best pitcher, Trent, with Weathersby/Laxer to close out the game.

One game at a time. I doubt OM's offense has that kind of performance again this post season.

I really believe this is the most well rounded team in the World Series. As you see in pro baseball the best team does not always win it but I wouldn't trade rosters with any of these teams.

Sorry your team lost. OM is the not the better overall team

AlSwearengen
06-16-2014, 09:59 AM

That is a lot of olemiss love right there. They had a lot of improvement from too many players and then they get several bats taken away. I will need to be convinced that they weren't using hot bats all year. This is a weak college world series field and they were fortunate last night not to lose by five runs. They have the pitching to do well in the world series because they won't have to use a third starter.

mic
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM

If that helps you sleep better at night.......

smootness
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Who cares what an Ole Miss homer thought about that game? I mean, I get that they're our rival and they do matter to us, and we like to talk about them and see them lose, but dang.

They lost, that's good for us. I really don't care in any way what kind of excuses a homer fan of theirs tried to make about the game. It shouldn't matter at all to us. Bringing it up only makes us look obsessed.

codeDawg
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
From Yancy:

Typical Rebel BS. We're better than you even though you beat us head to head. W's and L's don't mean anything.

Goat Holder
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
No it doesn't. It entertains me. Get over yourself.

SignalToNoise
06-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Was Virginia better tonight? Yes. Does that mean that Virginia is the better team? No. One pitcher or one game doesn't make someone a better team..

Ah, but when they beat you, regardless of record, conference standing, etc, they act like it is a championship belt match and declare themselves the better team.

What a turd.

RossDawg82
06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
The bottom line is they should not have pitched to Papi. That was the dumbest call I have seen Bianco make. You have a base open, why pitch to the ACC player of the year. The defense and pitching for both teams were good, but in Omaha it comes down to the small things. We did the small things right last year. Ole Miss did not and it cost them a game.

Percho
06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
I believe if Va could have laid down two bunts OM would have lost by 3 or 4 runs.

codeDawg
06-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I believe if Va could have laid down two bunts OM would have lost by 3 or 4 runs.

It's always coulda', shoulda', woulda' with them. Remember the bumper stickers when they beat eventual national champions Florida? "Never mind our other losses, this one success proves our superiority."

Hell, they made a documentary about how they almost made it to Omaha. "We were so awesome, we almost did something great." This trip will be memorialized with a statue while they wait two more generations for their next trip.

messageboardsuperhero
06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
From Yancy (This should be good.):

No, holding UM to one hit won that game for UVA. UM was handed their only run on a silver platter.

Chris Ellis might have been statistically the luckiest pitcher in college baseball this year- last night was a shining example of that. Ellis could have been knocked out of the game multiple time last night, but hard hit balls found gloves, as they have all season for him.

Ah, yes. The obligatory blame the umps point. Nevermind the fact that they blew a call at first base in your favor earlier in the game, AND UM got an extremely questionable ball four call that could have been a strike out/throw out double play and erased their only run.

Yancy is ****ing crazy if he thinks UM is better than UVA.

This is ****ing Omaha- I know you're new to the CWS, but you HAVE to beat good teams and good pitchers to win games there. We beat Moore from OSU twice last year to get to the championship series, and he had a sub 2 ERA just like Kirby.

What? How have the cards been dealt any harder for UM than they have for anyone else?

Trent is by far their best pitcher, no doubt.

UVA is definitely better than UM, and you could definitely make an argument for some other teams too. But at TD Ameritrade, the best all around rosters don't always do so hot. It's really not so much about being the best team in the field- but rather about being the best team for that park. There are several teams in this field who are built better for TD Ameritrade than UM is.

That's why I was bummed that we couldn't get back. We were built for that park this year, and we had more CWS experience than any team still in the field. I really think, even with our struggles this year, we would have had an outside shot at winning the thing.

nm

BeardoMSU
06-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Remember the bumper stickers when they beat eventual national champions Florida? "Never mind our other losses, this one success proves our superiority."

Did that really happen? Anyone have a picture?

codeDawg
06-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Did that really happen? Anyone have a picture?

I don't have pictures, but they were all over Memphis that year.

And much out of character for the author, there is this perspective providing Red Cup Rebelion blog post on the subject: http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2009/01/ole-miss-30-national-champs-31-you.html

Todd4State
06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
From Yancy: And like many of you, I just started following baseball last week.

OM needed to get two home in the 8th and Virginia made a questionable call to play the infield back with one out and it saved them a run as Holtz's hit would have scored two if the infield was in. Their coach ended up smelling like roses with that call. That call won them the game. Questionable? He minimized damage and knew that your team couldn't hit without their loaded bats and he knew that if they kept geetting runners on, odds are they are going to score.

Ellis was not sharp but gutted it out. It helps getting both the inside AND outside corners.

Greenwood was one pitch away and could have ended the inning on the 2-2 pitch that the ump called a ball. You got both sides of the plate for your pitchers and you're going to bitch about the umpire? REALLY?Would I have pitched around Pappy with full count? Yes but Greenwood had found his groove again. He just put a pitch right down the middle of the plate that good hitters don't miss Found his groove? His mechanics were all over the place. He was obviously tired.

Was Virginia better tonight? Yes. Does that mean that Virginia is the better team? No. One pitcher or one game doesn't make someone a better team. OK- well how about having two number one draft picks not including the pitcher that threw tonight who will be one? Oh wait- you said he doesn't count.

There is a reason why OM has a much better hitting average through 60 plus games playing better competition than Virginia and a comparable pitching staff. Yeah- and we all know why now. It's called rolled bats. Good to see Ole Miss actually putting their engineering dept. to good use.

OM just got unfortunate to face the toughest team with perhaps the tournaments best pitcher in the first round. Seems contradictory to what you just said about just because Virginia was better tonight, it doesn't mean that they are the better team.

The cards have been dealt badly all post season but OM keeps coming through. Yeah- Jacksonville State, a good Washington team at home which had to go through the losers bracket, and then facing a mid-major in a SR- gauntlet of death. You're talking about having the cards being dealt against them when you won a game because the Washington outfielder FELL DOWN. Please.

Can they do it again? It will be tough but I wouldn't bet against this group. Lose again? Get one hit? Yeah- I wouldn't bet against that either.

One game at a time. I doubt OM's offense has that kind of performance again this post season. Yeah- you will probably get more than one hit next time.

I really believe this is the most well rounded team in the World Series. I'm confused- I thought that was Virginia? As you see in pro baseball the best team does not always win it but I wouldn't trade rosters with any of these teams I'll take Virginia's.

What a doofus.

Johnson85
06-16-2014, 01:14 PM
"You have to steal games sometimes".

I'm guessing he intentionally left it vague. First, it's true regardless of which team he's talking about. Rarely are you going to have a team so dominant that you can win without having to win a game you shouldn't. Over the course of a post season, you are probably going to run into a situation where you are facing somebody else's number one with your 2 or 3, or where you just aren't sharp for a game and by all rights should lose, but the other team doesn't close the door on you.

I think UM needed to steal a game last night and upset UVA, but I can see how you could also say UVA didn't play their best game and didn't get the calls and were still able to get away with a win. And the real homers can read Yancy's post and assume he meant UVA stole a game from UM (like you have to do to win big) b/c UM is the best team in the tourney.

MsStateBaseball
06-16-2014, 01:51 PM
OM has for over 40 years been jealous of our success. They (writers and big fans) are on a mission to push their baseball in our face. They will toot their own horn very loud. When I see a tee shirt that says OM baseball, I laugh bc I know the history of their program. All we have to do is get better every year and keep on winning.

paco
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
We are getting better every year. MSU Baseball is back. We will be a team in contention for Omaha for years to come.

Oxfordawg
06-16-2014, 07:25 PM
The bumper sticker was National Champion's 30 Ole Miss 31 it was really pathetic