PDA

View Full Version : Dixon tweet

Dawghouse
06-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Rashun tweeted "can't wait to get on the field, I'm ready to grind for #MyState"

Does that make it official?

mic
06-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Sounds like it does to me.. That's a big walkon. Adds depth

hacker
06-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Yep. Was just about to post this.

RougeDawg
06-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Just saw it too. Good to have Dixon coming home after his minor league mission trip.

cheewgumm
06-15-2014, 11:38 PM
What is he like? Anyone seen him? I know it's been a while...but what are some comparison, or what should we expect?

ShotgunDawg
06-15-2014, 11:46 PM
What is he like? Anyone seen him? I know it's been a while...but what are some comparison, or what should we expect?

I dug up some old info on Scout.

Scout had him rated as a 3 star prospect in 2008, and here is his highlight video. Looks like a player that may be able to contribute and add depth to special teams and possibly safety. Maybe like a Kivan Coman type player.

http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&p=11&nid=2371812&isFirstMediaIdAudioOrVideo=video&playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fusc.scout.com%2Fasxplaylist. aspx%3Fs%3D136%26mediaids%3D358138

CadaverDawg
06-15-2014, 11:49 PM
I dug up some old info on Scout.

Scout had him rated as a 3 star prospect in 2008, and here is his highlight video. Looks like a player that may be able to contribute and add depth to special teams and possibly safety. Maybe like a Kivan Coman type player.

http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&p=11&nid=2371812&isFirstMediaIdAudioOrVideo=video&playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fusc.scout.com%2Fasxplaylist. aspx%3Fs%3D136%26mediaids%3D358138

Personally I love the fact that he is mature and experienced as a professional in another sport. I don't know about you guys, but I've often thought about how much better I could have been at a certain sport or position if I knew what I did as an adult....and Rashun is one of the few that will actually get a chance to do this. I wouldn't be surprised if he contributed in a big way down the road. Will he have 4 years of eligibility?

mjh94
06-15-2014, 11:52 PM
he should have 4 years just like everyone else. And I bet his baseball contract is paying for his college.. So he could potentially be a walk-on for 4 years

ShotgunDawg
06-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Personally I love the fact that he is mature and experienced as a professional in another sport. I don't know about you guys, but I've often thought about how much better I could have been at a certain sport or position if I knew what I did as an adult....and Rashun is one of the few that will actually get a chance to do this. I wouldn't be surprised if he contributed in a big way down the road. Will he have 4 years of eligibility?

Very good point, and, since he has never been enrolled in college, I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't have 5 years to play 4 like every other freshman.

msstate7
06-15-2014, 11:54 PM
he should have 4 years just like everyone else. And I bet his baseball contract is paying for his college.. So he could potentially be a walk-on for 4 years

Since he was recruited out of hs, doesn't he count toward 85?

CadaverDawg
06-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Very good point, and, since he has never been enrolled in college, I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't have 5 years to play 4 like every other freshman.

If Mullen and Co. can turn Banks and McKinney into a NFL draft pick in 4 years....no reason they can't mold all of the talent and maturity this kid has into one in that amount of time. I wish he'd redshirt to get back in a football state of mind, and then be ready to compete for a starting spot in 2015.

War Machine Dawg
06-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Nope. He's a walk-on like any other walk-on, except baseball is paying his ride. Pretty standard for wash out minor league players. Damn excited to have Rashun on the team. Time for some fun, fun, fun.

War Machine Dawg
06-15-2014, 11:58 PM
If Mullen and Co. can turn Banks and McKinney into a NFL draft pick in 4 years....no reason they can't mold all of the talent and maturity this kid has into one in that amount of time. I wish he'd redshirt to get back in a football state of mind, and then be ready to compete for a starting spot in 2015.

Depends. If he knocks the rust off quickly and can contribute significantly on STs, I say play him. Plus, we have to remember that Arrington is likely done and Hughes may not ever be what he was. We could use some S depth.

ShotgunDawg
06-16-2014, 12:00 AM

I would have to believe there is a statute of limitations on that rule. Furthermore, I think that rule only applies if you are on academic or some other scholarship, other than a football scholarship, at the school. Dixon is not on scholarship. Dixon has a non-MSU associated benefactor paying for his college education in the same way a company pays for employees to get their Master's degree, or a grandparent leaves college education money in their will for their grand children. Dixon's benefactor juts happens to be the Oakland the A's instead of Bank of America, Ikea, or his grandfather.

CapitolCityDawg
06-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Gonna be a great locker room guy

Reason2succeed
06-16-2014, 03:09 AM
I suspect that he is back early to get in on the off-season conditioning to get back into football shape. It may be later in the season before he really gets his stride but hopefully by the LSU game this guy will be ready for action. His bloodline alone says that he could be an important part of State's success on the field this year.

engie
06-16-2014, 07:11 AM

He has 5 to play 4, but baseball generally only agrees to pay for 4...

I'd be surprised if he redshirted personally...

RTO Dawg
06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Always good to have a Dixon in the locker room,,,,WIN WIN situation

engie
06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
I think he could be a big factor at FS. Our first and second string guys there(Cox and Evans) are elite athletically, but thusfar prone to the same mental mistakes we saw from Nickoe over the years. If there's one position on defense that is unsettled currently, that is it...

mic
06-16-2014, 08:19 AM
He has 5 to play 4, but baseball generally only agrees to pay for 4...

I'd be surprised if he redshirted personally...

Yeah no need to redshirt him. I bet he comes in and sees playing time on special teams..

starkvegasdawg
06-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, with him being a walk on, is he still held to the same set of asinine rules as every other player as far as NCAA rules go or can he do whatever he likes since he's paying his own way?

Johnson85
06-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I suspect that he is back early to get in on the off-season conditioning to get back into football shape. It may be later in the season before he really gets his stride but hopefully by the LSU game this guy will be ready for action. His bloodline alone says that he could be an important part of State's success on the field this year.

I doubt being in shape is going to be a big issue for him. I suspect that by the time he regains his feel for the game (footwork, angles, etc), he'll be in plenty of good shape. I'm guessing he's in good enough shape from baseball that even if it's not football shape, he'll be able to handle the spot duty that he starts with. Will probably suck for him in practice though.

Tbonewannabe
06-16-2014, 10:08 AM
I heard the other brother is also done with minor league baseball and coming back to MSU to play football.

hacker
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
I heard the other brother is also done with minor league baseball and coming back to MSU to play football.

There are 4 brothers, I believe. Sign em all up! Bring back Anthony!

Dawghouse
06-16-2014, 10:44 AM
There are 4 brothers, I believe. Sign em all up! Bring back Anthony!

Antwon already played football at hinds and midwestern state so he's out of eligibility.

I'm guessing the previous poster is talking about Deshun who went straight to MiLB so he could come. I don't remember anything about his recruitment at all.

Intramural All-American
06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
There was never any doubt that Deshun was going pro in baseball. He didn't have any football recruitment to speak of. On Rashun, the guy is huge. He's definitely not someone I'd want to catch a pass over the middle on. However, he'd probably get called for a 15 yard penalty and ejected, so there's that.