PDA

View Full Version : Well soccer seems to be a popular subject on here right now. For all of you

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 04:09 PM
non soccer fans, like me, I guess my biggest beef with the sport is that I find it boring because it's so low scoring. So low scoring in fact that from the games I've seen on t.v., fans almost get a natural climax just from a shot on goal. What are some suggestions that could "spice" the game up a bit?

GreenheadDawg
06-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I would seriously rather watch the WNBA than watch soccer.. It's like watching paint dry

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Knowing the little things of the game helps

TheRef
06-14-2014, 04:16 PM
The thing I like about soccer is that at any point, the momentum can shift and a team can suddenly take away all the momentum of another team. You saw that with Costa Rica in the second half.

hacker
06-14-2014, 04:20 PM
so, baseball is ok but soccer is slow and boring?

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
the total number of goals in soccer. I'm pretty sure that's a safe assumption but yes, baseball can be slow at times if that's your point.

Dawgowar
06-14-2014, 04:30 PM
non soccer fans, like me, I guess my biggest beef with the sport is that I find it boring as hell. I mean, it's so low scoring that from the games I've seen on t.v., fans almost get a natural climax just from a shot on goal. What are some suggestions that could "spice" the game up a bit?

1. Accept the rules as being for soccer and not the NFL or Hockey - I always hear non-soccer fans say things like "Like to see what they would do if such and such great linebacker popped them." - they would be tossed out the same way another golfer would if he walked onto a PGA course and hit his opposition with a 9 iron.

2. Watch some you tube highlight reels of some truly great players passing and scoring - the skill sets are phenomenal and gives you an appreciation of how much physical talent these guys possess. Try this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Arb7XPG-jw Guy is a head case but awesome to watch play

3. The low scoring makes it more exciting when you are a fan of one of the teams. You get desperate for the point and to defend a lead. It's easy to do with the World Cup since you want your country to do well.

4. Get over the 'tie' factor. The game is played for 3 points in the standings, 1 point if a tie, nada if you lose. The tournament is a campaign to get you to knockout rounds.

5. For the World Cup - get nationalistic and enjoy that part of it.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
the total number of goals in soccer. I'm pretty sure that's a safe assumption but yes, baseball can be slow at times if that's your point.

At times??? Baseball is slow all of time. The ball isn't even in play have the time. I love baseball, but I find it funny that people that post on baseball threads call soccer boring or slow. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it boring

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Baseball is slow at times but at least the potential is there. On any pitch something can happen. Plus the hardest thing to do is hit a baseball. For a hitter to be able to decide in a tenth of a second whether to swing and recognize pitch speed, movement, and location is amazing to me.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I enjoy soccer. So I defend it.

But I will agree, especially in these World Cup games, the scoring needs to increase. The EPL is much better to watch though as the rules are.

My suggestion, increase the goal size to 10x10 but back the PK to the 18. the bigger goal will give a couple more goals here and there.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Baseball is slow at times but at least the potential is there. On any pitch something can happen. Plus the hardest thing to do is hit a baseball. For a hitter to be able to decide in a tenth of a second whether to swing and recognize pitch speed, movement, and location is amazing to me.
On any counter attack a soccer player can score. On any serve a tennis player can get an ace. On any par three a golfer can get a hole in one. On any play a team can score a touchdown. On any dart a guy can hit a bullseye. Acting like baseball is unique in that is wrong. And I would be willing to bet the number of attacks in soccer required to score are far less than the number of pitches in baseball on average

LiterallyPolice
06-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I played soccer for years and I love to watch it.... BUT... It is lacking in some regards as a spectator sport. Here are my suggestions:

1. Penalty kicks are way too common... They are basically a free goal, and should be much harder to earn (like in hockey.... Very rare). So, for small fouls or hand balls inside the box.... Don't give a penalty kick! Give the team an indirect kick (ball must be touched twice before a goal is scored) from the spot of the foul, even if it's 10 ft from goal. The set plays and the defensive strategy would be interesting on these plays.... And more importantly, games wouldn't be decided on free goals.

2. Speaking of PK's, make them "live", that is... The player must dribble the ball in with a one-on-one with the goalie (again, similar to hockey)

3. I think offsides is a valid and important rule... But borderline calls are often botched in both directions and one very important plays. This WC has already seen some questionable calls. This might be a pipe dream.... But some sort of instant replay or better yet.... Electronic monitoring would be great. Again, I know this is very pie in the sky.

4. More refs! Surely these games can afford some more refs on the field to make sure they get the calls right.

5. Screw the continuous clock. Under 10 mins in the half, the ref on the sidelines should start and stop the clock. The time wasting is ridiculous... The unnecessary substitutions, players walking slowly to the ball. It makes the end of the game painful, rather than exciting.

Dawgowar
06-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Ah yes - forgot the old Budweiser "Soccertainment" advertising - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_ihfDnohI

Dawgowar
06-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Don't watch Italian matches - nothing but defense and dives....they of course make up for it with good riots and lots of flares in the stands.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I played soccer for years and I love to watch it.... BUT... It is lacking in some regards as a spectator sport. Here are my suggestions:

1. Penalty kicks are way too common... They are basically a free goal, and should be much harder to earn (like in hockey.... Very rare). So, for small fouls or hand balls inside the box.... Don't give a penalty kick! Give the team an indirect kick (ball must be touched twice before a goal is scored) from the spot of the foul, even if it's 10 ft from goal. The set plays and the defensive strategy would be interesting on these plays.... And more importantly, games wouldn't be decided on free goals.

2. Speaking of PK's, make them "live", that is... The player must dribble the ball in with a one-on-one with the goalie (again, similar to hockey)

3. I think offsides is a valid and important rule... But borderline calls are often botched in both directions and one very important plays. This WC has already seen some questionable calls. This might be a pipe dream.... But some sort of instant replay or better yet.... Electronic monitoring would be great. Again, I know this is very pie in the sky.

4. More refs! Surely these games can afford some more refs on the field to make sure they get the calls right.

5. Screw the continuous clock. Under 10 mins in the half, the ref on the sidelines should start and stop the clock. The time wasting is ridiculous... The unnecessary substitutions, players walking slowly to the ball. It makes the end of the game painful, rather than exciting.

More refs, more problems. You see it with three when one doesn't flag for a foul and the head ref gives it. Too many whistles would make it difficult.

And as far as the end of the game, yes all that happens, but it takes less time than timeouts in football or basketball or a mound visit, it just doesn't seem like it bc you keep watching and it doesn't go to commercial to make you forget that your time is being wasted while people talk

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 05:22 PM

The way they're scored puts me to sleep. Bunts? Singles? Even homeruns where it takes Big Papi 5 minutes to round the bases. There really isn't that much scoring in football, it's just x7.

There's a lot more skill that goes into soccer than most anything else... And if you can't appreciate that then it's not for you.

smootness
06-14-2014, 05:27 PM
The way they're scored puts me to sleep. Bunts? Singles? Even homeruns where it takes Big Papi 5 minutes to round the bases. There really isn't that much scoring in football, it's just x7.

There's a lot more skill that goes into soccer than most anything else... And if you can't appreciate that then it's not for you.

Yep, the game doesn't need changing. You either like it or you don't. The magnitude of each goal is what makes it so exciting to fans.

For comparison, would anyone enjoy a sport like men's softball where HRs and runs are met with yawns? Of course not.

Bark
06-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Seriously? It's 17n running up and down a field. My mom could do that. She could probably kick it and have it blocked 99 times of 100 too.

For the record though, I don't care if everybody in the world likes it...I'm not trying to convince people not to. I'm just not watching that shit and find some of the comments taking up for soccer amusing.

smootness
06-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Seriously? It's 17n running up and down a field. My mom could do that. She could probably kick it and have it blocked 99 times of 100 too.

For the record though, I don't care if everybody in the world likes it...I'm not trying to convince people not to. I'm just not watching that shit and find some of the comments taking up for soccer amusing.

Well, most people would find your comment amusing as well. Equating soccer to 'running up and down the field' is like calling football 'running into people and falling down' or baseball 'flailing your arms and sitting down'.

I don't care whether people like soccer or not, it is what it is and everyone is not going to like the same thing. But if you were ever interested in learning more (I'm guessing you're not), I think you would be entertained by some of the skill and strategy.

LiterallyPolice
06-14-2014, 06:08 PM
And as far as the end of the game, yes all that happens, but it takes less time than timeouts in football or basketball or a mound visit, it just doesn't seem like it bc you keep watching and it doesn't go to commercial to make you forget that your time is being wasted while people talk

This really doesn't address my central point.... Game clock doesn't run during a mound visit or a timeout. Also, why does everything have to be a comparison to other sports? The things that soccer could do to improve the watch-ability of games has little to do with what MLB wants to do. But for the record, basketball also becomes painful at the end of games.

LiterallyPolice
06-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Well, most people would find your comment amusing as well. Equating soccer to 'running up and down the field' is like calling football 'running into people and falling down' or baseball 'flailing your arms and sitting down'.

I don't care whether people like soccer or not, it is what it is and everyone is not going to like the same thing. But if you were ever interested in learning more (I'm guessing you're not), I think you would be entertained by some of the skill and strategy.

100%.... Soccer really needs no defending as a spectator sport.... It is, after all, the most popular sport in the world.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 06:45 PM

I doubt your mother can run eight miles while kicking and sprinting and cutting in an hour and a half. Whether you like it or not, that's just ignorant and you sound stupid

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Much like the NBA, add a "no flopping" rule, make the fine super stiff, and enforce the hell out of it. If these guys are so skilled/tough/whatever, then make them stop acting like pussies who are reenacting the Finger Poke of Doom.

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 06:48 PM

This is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read.

Watch a high school soccer game. Then go watch an MLS game. Then go watch Real Madrid. Then come back and tell me that soccer at its highest level is people just running around on a field... And that your mom could run 14 km's in 90+ minutes with misdirection while kicking around a soccer ball while implementing a strategy. It sounds like you've been watching some little league games and kids running around a field.

Soccer is my distant 4th favorite sport I'll admit, but people dogging it is weak sauce. There's a reason it's the fastest growing sport in America.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 07:39 PM
How to make it more exciting?

Watch replays of our football games during Croom's tenure before turning a World Cup game on.

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
There's a reason it's the fastest growing sport in America.

There is a reason. When I was a kid nobody watched soccer. Also when I was kid I don't think I ever saw a mexican - central/south american in real life.
Yes, soccer is growing like crazy. So is spanish as a first language. Doesn't really mean spanish is a kick ass fun language. But I guess you argue that.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 07:47 PM

If I was a 6'5 280 lbs 1st baseman I could probably strike out with the bases loaded. What's your point?

However I could not even hit one home run which is why I don't play college baseball. Sure there's many people who could run and get shots blocked, but the ones who can make those shots are your athletes, only problem is they are playing OTHER PROFESSIONALS. That goalie yeah he's not a JV goalie.

hacker
06-14-2014, 08:03 PM

yes.. obviously lacking as a spectator sport

http://i.imgur.com/BK6bPcW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1u6a4yt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yPIXfhG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1Tt0lcg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/C9cpc53.jpg

these people seem to just hate it

eta: I just wanted a reason to post these pics. Let's do this shit for away games in Starkville!

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 08:15 PM
NT

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 08:17 PM
shot......That's what's depressing.........Yippittydoodah, somebody actually tried to score..........

hacker
06-14-2014, 08:19 PM
shot......That's what's depressing.........Yippittydoodah, somebody actually tried to score..........

yes, shots on goal are exciting. kind of like a warning track hit in baseball. or a deep incompletion in football.

TheRef

Well if you have that kind of mentality then you won't have an enjoyable time watching soccer.

Saltydog
of course we continue to let all the illegals cross the border........

hacker
06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Besides, soccer games are way shorter than baseball games. So the point that "baseball games have more scoring than soccer" is bullshit. On average, it's about the same. You just think it's boring because you don't understand it.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
I know a lot of people love soccer and a lot of people are like me and would rather watch a 12 hour documentary on ear wax narrated by Rosie O'Donnell. To each their own. I still maintain soccer is the slowest game played. I saw on the espn ticker that one team scored three goals today and it was the first time they did that in a World Cup match since 1962. That's 52 years. Another won a game 3-0 and that was their largest ever margin of victory in World Cup play. That screams about as much action as a sleeping puppy.

hacker
06-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I know a lot of people love soccer and a lot of people are like me and would rather watch a 12 hour documentary on ear wax narrated by Rosie O'Donnell. To each their own. I still maintain soccer is the slowest game played. I saw on the espn ticker that one team scored three goals today and it was the first time they did that in a World Cup match since 1962. That's 52 years. Another won a game 3-0 and that was their largest ever margin of victory in World Cup play. That screams about as much action as a sleeping puppy.

The rematch of the 2010 World Cup final was 5 - 1. Lots of 3 - 1 games and 3 - 0 games. The game on now had a goal scored in the first 17 minutes.

Remember, there's only 90 minutes in a game. Baseball games are usually 2.5 - 3 hours and often have similar scores.

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
actually have a substantial chance of winning.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Also remember that goals must come one at a time.

The idea of number of points equating to exciting between baseball and soccer is silly as well. Are all runs equally exciting?

Back to back to back jacks = 3 runs
Walk, HBP, jack = 3 runs

Are those three times as exciting as a soccer goal?

It's a silly point being discussed.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Also worth noting that it's a four year competition so that is 14 years effectively. And these teams don't make it often. That's like Alcorn scoring 30 on us. No context, it doesn't seem like much but it is

hacker
06-14-2014, 08:40 PM
good primer for you haters

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140613/news/140619875

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 08:58 PM
There is a reason. When I was a kid nobody watched soccer. Also when I was kid I don't think I ever saw a mexican - central/south american in real life.
Yes, soccer is growing like crazy. So is spanish as a first language. Doesn't really mean spanish is a kick ass fun language. But I guess you argue that.
Right... Soccer is more popular in America because of all the Mexicans.

Let's completely forget that the average attendance for Seattle games is 40,000. Huge Mexican population there. And all the Boston College players on the national team? All Mexican.

The US's U17 team is one of the top 5 in the world, indicating that the US has steadily paid more attention to soccer beginning in the 90's (perfect time to include that the 1994 is the highest attended and highest rated World Cup in history) and there are only like 2 Hispanic players out of 28, you racist prick.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't hate soccer, and I love it when I can root for the USA in anything so I watch World Cup and Olympics.....but soccer seems to be an acquired taste for sure. If our team (USA) was worth a shit, our country and the haters on this board would like it a lot more. Why? Because they would want to watch our big games and therefore would know more about the game. I don't know a lot about the game, and I do not ever watch soccer beyond WC & Olympics because Of several reasons. One, there doesn't seem to be a Super Bowl or World Series to look forward to every year or I may like keeping up with it a little.

There have been several times where I wanted to get into English Premier League, but I couldn't figure it out and nobody could explain it bc I don't have many soccer loving friends. Plus, I would see one guy playing in 2 leagues or see teams from different leagues playing each other, etc...and it confused me. I think if America did a better job marketing European soccer, it would get more average sports people interested in it, and therefore make MLS better in the long run too. If I ever knew when seasons started and ended, and when big matchups were, I'd tune in.

Just $.02 from a guy that would like to get in to soccer a little, but the game itself isn't helping draw in people like me.

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 09:18 PM
but then again I can't imagine a French football team. Can you imagine those pussies trying to tackle anyone. Wasn't it Patton that said he'd rather have German troops in front of him than French troops behind him.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't hate soccer, and I love it when I can root for the USA in anything so I watch World Cup and Olympics.....but soccer seems to be an acquired taste for sure. If our team (USA) was worth a shit, our country and the haters on this board would like it a lot more. Why? Because they would want to watch our big games and therefore would know more about the game. I don't know a lot about the game, and I do not ever watch soccer beyond WC & Olympics because Of several reasons. One, there doesn't seem to be a Super Bowl or World Series to look forward to every year or I may like keeping up with it a little.

There have been several times where I wanted to get into English Premier League, but I couldn't figure it out and nobody could explain it bc I don't have many soccer loving friends. Plus, I would see one guy playing in 2 leagues or see teams from different leagues playing each other, etc...and it confused me. I think if America did a better job marketing European soccer, it would get more average sports people interested in it, and therefore make MLS better in the long run too. If I ever knew when seasons started and ended, and when big matchups were, I'd tune in.

Just $.02 from a guy that would like to get in to soccer a little, but the game itself isn't helping draw in people like me.

I think that is the sentiment for a lot of people on the fence about soccer and I understand it.

For future reference, watch the champions league final. It's bigger than the super bowl

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 09:22 PM
I think that is the sentiment for a lot of people on the fence about soccer and I understand it.

For future reference, watch the champions league final. It's bigger than the super bowl

Not in our media, so we never hear about it. Who is in the Champions League? When does the season start, etc? Is there a Chicago Bulls with a Jordan in that league whose bandwagon one can jump on? I'm ready, Dudy

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Right... Soccer is more popular in America because of all the Mexicans.

Let's completely forget that the average attendance for Seattle games is 40,000. Huge Mexican population there. And all the Boston College players on the national team? All Mexican.

The US's U17 team is one of the top 5 in the world, indicating that the US has steadily paid more attention to soccer beginning in the 90's (perfect time to include that the 1994 is the highest attended and highest rated World Cup in history) and there are only like 2 Hispanic players out of 28, you racist prick.

I don't think it makes me a racist prick, but to each his own. The hispanic or latino or spanish or whatever is the preferred thing to call it has exploded lately and soccer has risen accordingly. Why does that make me racist? If there was a dramatic increase in Australians in America then australian rules football would see a huge increase in support. If I pointed that out would I be racist?
There are a ton of mexicans in the US now. In Memphis there is a new huge continent of central and south americans also. And, predictably, there is a huge rise in soccer viewership.
Why is this hard to grasp? And why is it "racist"?

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2014, 09:27 PM
No one wants to talk about the unbearable flopping epidemic?

Also, the Finger Poke of Doom, for those who don't know the reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhS4ZDnRqJQ

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Much like the NBA, add a "no flopping" rule, make the fine super stiff, and enforce the hell out of it. If these guys are so skilled/tough/whatever, then make them stop acting like pussies who are reenacting the Finger Poke of Doom.

I LOL'd for real...not just typing it

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Not in our media, so we never hear about it. Who is in the Champions League? When does the season start, etc? Is there a Chicago Bulls with a Jordan in that league whose bandwagon one can jump on? I'm ready, Dudy

The final was on the same channel the Super Bowl was. But I see your point, if you don't follow soccer, you don't know.

Here's the short version. Each league (Spain, England, all top flight leagues in each European country) get a certain number of teams in it based on the previous season. Like the World Cup, you get in by how you play the year before. It is a tournament style of all the club teams. So you end up with something unique. The best teams in Spain playing the best in Germany or England. Basically, it is the most talented tournament in the world, more than the WC. Google it. As for a Jordan. Try cristiano Ronaldo. He set the all time scoring record for it this season. Rooney played in it, messi. All of them

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:33 PM

You described it pretty well earlier but it would be hard for me to get into it beyond world cup and olympics mainly just because I'm not a big fan of pro sports. The college game is so much better on all levels. Perhaps one day as soccer grows here and collegiate gets more coverage I would get into that. Problem is in college it seems to be much more of a girls sport. I mean that you can often find women's soccer at a school but not as often will you find both men's and women's teams.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Like I said cadaver. Google it. Read up. And if you have specific questions feel free I will answer

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
You described it pretty well earlier but it would be hard for me to get into it beyond world cup and olympics mainly just because I'm not a big fan of pro sports. The college game is so much better on all levels. Perhaps one day as soccer grows here and collegiate gets more coverage I would get into that. Problem is in college it seems to be much more of a girls sport. I mean that you can often find women's soccer at a school but not as often will you find both men's and women's teams.

Look no further than our very own MSU. Damn Title IX.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:36 PM
yes.. obviously lacking as a spectator sport

http://i.imgur.com/BK6bPcW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1u6a4yt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yPIXfhG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1Tt0lcg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/C9cpc53.jpg

these people seem to just hate it

eta: I just wanted a reason to post these pics. Let's do this shit for away games in Starkville!

I'm sold! That looks like it would be a blast for away games! Maybe even baseball on a smaller scale.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Would State having a men's soccer team make some of the posters here more interested in soccer? I would go to games if State had a team and I was in town.

I feel the way we have a unique baseball atmosphere we could have the same with soccer. I believe the frats could do well with the unique cheers that are common in the sport.

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't think it makes me a racist prick, but to each his own. The hispanic or latino or spanish or whatever is the preferred thing to call it has exploded lately and soccer has risen accordingly. Why does that make me racist? If there was a dramatic increase in Australians in America then australian rules football would see a huge increase in support. If I pointed that out would I be racist?
There are a ton of mexicans in the US now. In Memphis there is a new huge continent of central and south americans also. And, predictably, there is a huge rise in soccer viewership.
Why is this hard to grasp? And why is it "racist"?
Because you're insinuating that illegal immigrants are 100% involved in soccer viewership rising. Mexico has it's own league, and the only way to view it is Telemundo. Trust me, it's popular... But that's always been the case. And Liga MX viewership hardly makes a dent in viewership.

There is 1 Mexican player in the 1st tier of the EPL and he doesn't play.

You might feel invaded by Mexicans, but the two are unrelated. The demographics of NBC's Premier League broadcasts is largely Caucasian. If you need proof you can watch the commercials before, at halftime, and afterwards.

America qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 50 years, the US getting a domestic league which has been beyond successful in terms of initial estimations (only one spanish team and they're the second most popular MLS team in their own city), and the US team going on to be ranked in the top 5 in the 2000's is why soccer is the fastest growing sport in America. Throw in there concussions, Bud Selig, and most children losing interest in basketball when they find out they won't be 6'5"+.

But think what you want, my man.

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Would State having a men's soccer team make some of the posters here more interested in soccer? I would go to games if State had a team and I was in town.

I feel the way we have a unique baseball atmosphere we could have the same with soccer. I believe the frats could do well with the unique cheers that are common in the sport.
We'd be horrible. I went to the state's best men's high school program and we were absolutely terrible compared to Tennessee and everyone else.

So no, I wouldn't go. Because I don't like watching shitty products.

But it should be noted that the heir apparent to Tim Howard and current Aston Villa goalie went to South Carolina.

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Because you're insinuating that illegal immigrants are 100% involved in soccer viewership rising. Mexico has it's own league, and the only way to view it is Telemundo. Trust me, it's popular... But that's always been the case. And Liga MX viewership hardly makes a dent in viewership.

There is 1 Mexican player in the 1st tier of the EPL and he doesn't play.

You might feel invaded by Mexicans, but the two are unrelated. The demographics of NBC's Premier League broadcasts is largely Caucasian. If you need proof you can watch the commercials before, at halftime, and afterwards.

America qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 50 years, the US getting a domestic league which has been beyond successful in terms of initial estimations (only one spanish team and they're the second most popular MLS team in their own city), and the US team going on to be ranked in the top 5 in the 2000's is why soccer is the fastest growing sport in America. Throw in there concussions, Bud Selig, and most children losing interest in basketball when they find out they won't be 6'5"+.

But think what you want, my man.

I'm probably just too dumb to get it. As usual. It's more complicated than what my lyin eyes tell me. Sorry for posting all that. I'm just ignernt and racist.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 10:51 PM
We'd be horrible. I went to the state's best men's high school program and we were absolutely terrible compared to Tennessee and everyone else.

So no, I wouldn't go. Because I don't like watching shitty products.

But it should be noted that the heir apparent to Tim Howard and current Aston Villa goalie went to South Carolina.

So for some reason we would be limited to our state in recruiting? Don't tell that to our men's tennis and golf teams. Sure we wouldn't be great but, a state fan not going because of a terrible product? Umm... Croom, Polk 2? You know teams get are allowed to improve if they are terrible their first year.

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 11:02 PM
So for some reason we would be limited to our state in recruiting? Don't tell that to our men's tennis and golf teams. Sure we wouldn't be great be get over yourself, a state fan not going because of a terrible product? Umm... Croom, Polk 2? You know teams get are allowed to improve if they are terrible their first year.

There is no amateur soccer in Europe. EPL teams sign 11 year olds and start scouting kids at 6. So no... Soccer is not tennis. Nevermind the fact that we don't have a European alum who can go into living rooms in Europe and sign players. There is no age limit in MLS. There have been 16 year olds before who have played in the MLS.

Every non-scholarship sport (everything except football and basketball... Which still apply) gets most of its players from driving distance. Tennis is the only sport where that isn't the case... And you can attribute that to there not being a pro league that takes 11 year olds, 99% of people with the ability to play D1 tennis not being American, and slightly because we had a European coach.

If we started a CUSA men's team, 90% of our team would be Mississippians/Memphians/Bhamians. The 10% would be the really really bad kids from states with known D1 programs.

MLS is good for the sport. Bad for collegiate soccer.

ETA: Women's US soccer is premo, and a large part of that can be attributed to men's football... But look at MSU. Most of our players are local and we're absolutely terrible. Mississippi soccer is bad.

Dawgface
06-15-2014, 06:46 AM
so, baseball is ok but soccer is slow and boring?

No, they are both slow and boring.