PDA

View Full Version : Out of state recruiting ground: Ole Miss uses GA, MSU uses AL. Which is better?

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Talty's article got me thinking about where Ole Miss and MSU have success recruiting out of state. It seems to me that we both compete for players in TN, LA, and TX rather equally depending on the year, but for the primary out of state recruiting ground, MSU has now become the solid 3rd option in AL, a state where many SEC caliber players don't get offers from the in-state programs that nationally recruit and Ole Miss has had great success in GA, a state that has more talent than AL, but also has more college football powers recruiting in it.

Which team has the better situation here?

Which situation is more conducive to long term success and sustained winning?

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Better for us because Ole Miss can't deliver on the promise that the Georgia kids' families/friends will get to see them play in Atlanta***

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Good point

I think we can recruit more good players in AL than Ole Miss can in GA, but, for whatever reason, it doesn't appear that Georgia kids have the same connection to the university of Georgia as Alabama kids have with Auburn and Alabama. Therefore, while we can have more success with depth, I feel like MSU will forever be locked out of getting the elite players from Alabama while Ole Miss has a slightly better chance of getting an elite player from Georgia due to the disconnect between many Atlanta players and UGA.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Which is better? 4/5.

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Which is better? 4/5.

The better question may be: what's better 2 3 stars and a 4 star or 1 5 star?

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Of course we shouldn't be worried as much about stars as pretty good players that are teachable and not self destructive.

Edited: NOT self destructive

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Good point

I think we can recruit more good players in AL than Ole Miss can in GA, but, for whatever reason, it doesn't appear that Georgia kids have the same connection to the university of Georgia as Alabama kids have with Auburn and Alabama. Therefore, while we can have more success with depth, I feel like MSU will forever be locked out of getting the elite players from Alabama while Ole Miss has a slightly better chance of getting an elite player from Georgia due to the disconnect between many Atlanta players and UGA.

For some reason though, the thought of Ole Miss getting an elite player or two just doesn't scare me. I would say we don't have to get the elite player from the state of AL to get players we can use. Let ALA and AUBIE scoff at players after the first 10 or so. We'll take #11 and do more with them.

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 11:11 AM
We recruit Georgia pretty well. Our highest draft pick in the last 2 years is a Georgia native, and we seem to be signing a QB from there every year or so. We signed 2 this year.

In my opinion Georgia high school football is pretty great. They don't have near the numbers of Florida or Texas but outside of Ohio they probably have the best pound-for-pound system.

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2014, 11:29 AM
We recruit Georgia pretty well. Our highest draft pick in the last 2 years is a Georgia native, and we seem to be signing a QB from there every year or so. We signed 2 this year.

In my opinion Georgia high school football is pretty great. They don't have near the numbers of Florida or Texas but outside of Ohio they probably have the best pound-for-pound system.

I agree, we do grab some player from GA in the same way that OM grabs some players from AL, but Ole Miss really focuses in GA while we really focus in AL.

TexasDawg
06-14-2014, 11:34 AM
I love the Dawgs and all but saying that we are solidly the 3rd option in Alabama is a bit of a stretch...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3329/0

esplanade91
06-14-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree, we do grab some player from GA in the same way that OM grabs some players from AL, but Ole Miss really focuses in GA while we really focus in AL.

Well sure. The Birmingham metro area is literally 2 exits from Starkville and it produces way more quality players than Alabama and Auburn can both possibly sign. It's the same distance from Starkville as Memphis or Jackson and it produces more talent and it's even easier to get to. Brown is probably the best player we've signed from Alabama and it was between us and Auburn... And for him it came down to (among other things) Starkville being so close to home.

It's the same for basketball and baseball too. Our position in the state makes it a lot easier to recruit Birmingham than anywhere else.

But Georgia > Alabama. Not that I'm complaining. We do ok there too.

We're going to attract kids from anywhere in the south who didn't necessarily grow up in metro areas. A lot of kids from Bum****, Egypt like Starkville. Mullen put it best the other day... Alabama is the most like state to Mississippi. Steer into the curve. We're not going to get kids from downtown Atlanta though. Let them go to Oxpatch.

BrunswickDawg
06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
We have gotten good talent from GA going back to Jackies days (Rodney Hudson excluded). We have a lot of talent in GA, and terrific HS coaching. MSU should be hitting south GA hard for extra o-line depth - we grow them big down here.

Goat Holder
06-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Ole Miss doesn't do any better in Georgia than anyone else. Nowhere close to Auburn or Clemson, who are both closer.

Simply put, Talty is basing this on Nkemdashian. One player they got extremely lucky to get.

I've always thought Ole Miss should go north...into Illinois and Missouri.

RIdog
06-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Not exactly , they are playing Boise St. there this year . :D
Better for us because Ole Miss can't deliver on the promise that the Georgia kids' families/friends will get to see them play in Atlanta***

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Not exactly , they are playing Boise St. there this year . :D

aww 17. I forgot!

They'll use it to tell kids they've been to Atlanta recently!

Goat Holder
06-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Here's the article: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/mississippi_state_recruiting_alabama.html

What people don't realize is that over time, if we keep at it, we'll start beating them on recruits. It may take 10 years, it may take 1 year if we go 10-2 and beat either Bama or Auburn. It takes a concerted effort to become a 'home-town' type team. The more guys we get from there, the more other guys will come. We already beat Auburn on Benny Brown, who cares if they admit it or not. He even hat-faked those fools.