PDA

View Full Version : NCAA confiscates Ole Miss' bats at the CWS today

godlluB
06-13-2014, 08:41 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/06/13/ole-miss-bat-search/10505429/

The NCAA tests the bats by dropping a ring down the barrel. If the ring drops without stopping the bat passes. If it gets hooked on any dents or grooves, the bat fails.

"A bunch of ours didn't make it through so I had to get a new one," Orivis said. "Our bats aren't juiced or anything. I wish they were, but they're not, coming to this big park."

Ummm, yeah, sure.

Coach34
06-13-2014, 09:05 PM
shocker

Schultzy
06-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I wonder if any other teams had some bats taken or how many bats overall were taken from all of the teams.

Leroy Jenkins
06-13-2014, 09:26 PM
But, bats dont matter.

These are not the bats you are looking for.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2428412/jedi-mind-trick-o.gif

chainedup_Dawg
06-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Funny how the bats taken up where the bats used by their best hitters

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't think we had any bats to my knowledge taken last year. If we did, it sure as heck would have been reported.

Engie said that they get pretty strict when you get to Omaha with this- and here's the proof.

They went from .277 to .303 or something like that with a lot of the same players- and I believe Orvis was one of the ones who struggled really bad last year. Very interesting.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Orvis didnt get drafted. At all. 2nd in sec homeruns.

CadaverDawg
06-13-2014, 09:37 PM
So you don't get punished for using bad bats? Just take em away, and carry on? Unreal

mic
06-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Barry Bonds *
Sammy Sosa *
Mark McGuire *
Ole Miss Omaha 2014 *
Let's go ahead and call this Asterisk Omaha

ScottH
06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Bat shaving? Or Bat rolling? which would cause the failed test?

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Shaving. Bam mic there it is!!!

mic
06-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Shaving. Bam mic there it is!!!

Yep. Espn should have glossed it The illegal bat super regional from Lafayette ..

mic
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Any takers that Orvis goes 0 for Omaha.???

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Shit 0-7 ain't that hard

chainedup_Dawg
06-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Rolling wouldn't or shouldn't if done right. Shaving could though. But I have known people to intentionally put dents in bats to stretch/weaken the bat and give it more of a trampoline effect

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Shaving doesn't actually make the diameter smaller correct? I thought it was taking the cap off and shaving the metal down inside the bat making the merely thinner... But keeping the diameter the same.

Rolling puts the bat through high pressured rollers pushing in on the bat so wouldn't that be what would cause this?

Not an expert on this stuff, just the numbers.

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Shaving doesn't actually make the diameter smaller correct? I thought it was taking the cap off and shaving the metal down inside the bat making the merely thinner... But keeping the diameter the same.

Rolling puts the bat through high pressured rollers pushing in on the bat so wouldn't that be what would cause this?

Not an expert on this stuff, just the numbers.

Shaving is not an exact science. Part of the problem with altering a bat, shaving for instance, is the integrity of the barrel is altered, obviously. Once the shaving happens, if there is a thinner spot than another the potential is there to create a dent which can get detected. Some detected easily others only detected by testing. Not that I've ever seen it....

AlSwearengen
06-13-2014, 10:34 PM
They are going to need those springy bats in that park.

RougeDawg
06-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Well it's inherently obvious that the OM bats were not legal, any way you look at it. This does not surprise me, after witnessing their football tactics. Why is there no media outrage over this? I don't believe this is a common occurrence to have multiple bats confiscated, but I may be wrong.

Dawg61
06-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Lafayette would of had every bat confiscated. Makes you wonder why the bats don't get tested before Omaha.

mic
06-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Shit 0-7 ain't that hard

Good point..

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Trying to be as unbiased as possible, so maybe this could just be a cause of long term wear and tear. I doubt it but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. I would really like to see something about previous (if any) being confiscated in years past. That would tell us more than just telling us OM had some taken

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 11:11 PM
So you don't get punished for using bad bats? Just take em away, and carry on? Unreal

Not using your hot bat IS punishment. I don't think the NCAA wants a tournament like this marred because of a bat controversy.

Someone should tweet this at Kyle Peterson and whoever else for ESPN does the CWS though.

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Yep. Espn should have glossed it The illegal bat super regional from Lafayette ..

If Lafayette had made it to Omaha, I think a LOT of the things I have been alluded to would have come to light.

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Any takers that Orvis goes 0 for Omaha.???

Say it ain't so Sikes...

Schultzy
06-13-2014, 11:16 PM
The bats are so dead that even non-wood college bats have to be checked. Way to go baseball. The product is wonderful and kids can't wait to play it!

godlluB
06-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I've been doing a lot of web searching this morning and can't find any word of bats being confiscated from any other team this year.

Of course, it could just be that the beat writers for the other schools didn't feel the need to report it.

KB21
06-14-2014, 08:46 AM
I do think it is interesting that Sikes Orvis, who has never hit, has become this dangerous hitter this year AND his bat has been confiscated at the CWS. Same thing goes for Will Allen. This past summer in the valley league, Sikes Orvis hit .130 with 1 HR in 54 ABs with wood. You mean to tell me that he's suddenly this much better as a hitter with dead aluminum bats?

Will Allen was a .230 hitter last year with 5 doubles and 4 home runs. This year, he's a .355 hitter with 7 home runs and 17 doubles.

Now, some may say look at the jump Hunter Renfroe made between his sophomore and junior years, but you also have to look at how Hunter hit the ball in summer prior to both seasons. He was showing with wood that he had the bat speed to be a power hitting player.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I do think it is interesting that Sikes Orvis, who has never hit, has become this dangerous hitter this year AND his bat has been confiscated at the CWS. Same thing goes for Will Allen. This past summer in the valley league, Sikes Orvis hit .130 with 1 HR in 54 ABs with wood. You mean to tell me that he's suddenly this much better as a hitter with dead aluminum bats?

Will Allen was a .230 hitter last year with 5 doubles and 4 home runs. This year, he's a .355 hitter with 7 home runs and 17 doubles.

Now, some may say look at the jump Hunter Renfroe made between his sophomore and junior years, but you also have to look at how Hunter hit the ball in summer prior to both seasons. He was showing with wood that he had the bat speed to be a power hitting player.

Not to mention the fact that Hunter never had a bat confiscated in Omaha.

Very interesting indeed though. That explains why Orvis didn't get drafted to me though. An upper classman should have done really well in that league.

messageboardsuperhero
06-14-2014, 09:11 AM
I really have no idea if they've been intentionally cheating or not. It is a little fishy though...

All these big hitters UM has this year have had almost no track record of being productive hitters at the college level. Like someone else said, most of them even had really bad summers. All of a sudden, now 6-7 of them turn into all world hitters seemingly overnight- then they get most of their bats taken away by the NCAA at the CWS, and they are the only team that this has reportedly happened to (that I know of anyway). It's just odd to me that if dented bats are common, then other teams would have had them taken up too- not just UM who reportedly had most of their bats taken up.

I had just chalked their miraculous offensive turnaround up to hard work and Cliff Godwin- and that probably still is the case, but you have to admit that it is at least a little fishy.

KB21
06-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Not to mention the fact that Hunter never had a bat confiscated in Omaha.

Very interesting indeed though. That explains why Orvis didn't get drafted to me though. An upper classman should have done really well in that league.

Also, some probably don't realize how hard it is to dent an aluminum bat. Typically, bats that have been dented are bats that have had the strength of the sidewalls of the bat compromised by shaving the bat to create more of a trampoline effect.

Acid mouth
06-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Give the bears a break, they didn't know the rules**. They haven't been since 1972 and it not like Biancho consults better coaches like Corky Palmer about Omaha

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 09:40 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/06/13/ole-miss-bat-search/10505429/

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Bat Caving

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Bears fixin' to go 2 and out

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Not using your hot bat IS punishment. I don't think the NCAA wants a tournament like this marred because of a bat controversy.

Someone should tweet this at Kyle Peterson and whoever else for ESPN does the CWS though.

Yea I guess so, but I was thinking not if it helped get you there. They should check em before every game IMO.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Yea I guess so, but I was thinking not if it helped get you there. They should check em before every game IMO.

THIS^

It would seem that if it's such a big deal it would be a general rule enforced regularly

HereComesTheSpiral
06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if we had one or two fail the test last year. I think its when you have several failures, that is when they will pull all of them. So either Easton cant manufacture a bat for shit, unlikely, or they are juicing the bats, highly likely.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 11:55 AM

I agree. It sucks if they cheated to get where they are. Especially given the number of one run victories that they had early in the year.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Here's a red flag to me- it said that they took several bats.

smootness
06-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Here's a red flag to me- it said that they took several bats.

Yeah, the story says 'several', then Orvis says 'all'. So either way, it was likely a lot.

messageboardsuperhero
06-14-2014, 12:16 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if we had one or two fail the test last year. I think its when you have several failures, that is when they will pull all of them. So either Easton cant manufacture a bat for shit, unlikely, or they are juicing the bats, highly likely.

I'm pretty sure all of our bats passed inspection last year.

That's the most interesting thing to me. If bats getting dented is such a common thing, why is UM the only team (at least that I've seen) have bats taken away? And is it not weird that nobody else had more than 1-2, if any of these bat failures, but UM had to replace almost all their bats? It is fishy, no doubt.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, Ole Miss's first Omaha trip in 42 years has a big ole ASTERISK by it. Congrats Ole Miss, you can't even get to Omaha legally when you finally get there, ha.

So let the records show...

Omaha:
MSU - several times...what? 9 now? Plus a National Runner up
Ole miss - once********** (altered bats)

SEC Championship Game (Football):
MSU - yes
OM - No

Final Four:
MSU - yes
OM - No

4 out of the last 5 Egg Bowls:
MSU - yes

Total domination in-state in the modern era. They have Vaught and a Omaha trip with an asterisk....everything else is crootin championships and documentaries about almost getting shit done.

drummerdawg
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure all of our bats passed inspection last year.

That's the most interesting thing to me. If bats getting dented is such a common thing, why is UM the only team (at least that I've seen) have bats taken away? And is it not weird that nobody else had more than 1-2, if any of these bat failures, but UM had to replace almost all their bats? It is fishy, no doubt.

an om fan told me that state had a few taken last year but i couldn't remember so I didn't argue.

messageboardsuperhero
06-14-2014, 12:57 PM
an om fan told me that state had a few taken last year but i couldn't remember so I didn't argue.

Not according to Rosebowl. FWIW, he claims we didn't have any taken up last year.

Is this UM fan actually getting this information from somewhere? Or is he just pulling it out of his ass?

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Not according to Rosebowl. FWIW, he claims we didn't have any taken up last year.

Is this UM fan actually getting information this from somewhere? Or is he just pulling it out of his ass?

I think we all know the answer to this.

IF we had any pulled last year, the Clarion-Ledger would have reported it like they are doing to Ole Miss this year. You know the NCAA at the very least looked at Renfroe and Rea's bats. No one else at the CWS is reporting bats failing tests- and as I outlined a couple of days ago pretty much every team in Omaha other than Ole Miss has a team batting average that was comparable to us- or worse.

MarketingBully01
06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I think we all know the answer to this.

IF we had any pulled last year, the Clarion-Ledger would have reported it like they are doing to Ole Miss this year. You know the NCAA at the very least looked at Renfroe and Rea's bats. No one else at the CWS is reporting bats failing tests- and as I outlined a couple of days ago pretty much every team in Omaha other than Ole Miss has a team batting average that was comparable to us- or worse.

I don't think it matters since I think Ole Miss goes 1-2 at best in Omaha. Ole Miss isn't built for that ball park. They will lose to Virginia and I am not sure they will survive the first elimination game. Sure they got to Omaha, but I think it's a real short trip.

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
saying that Yikes Orifice hit a HR in his last swing.

messageboardsuperhero
06-14-2014, 01:41 PM
saying that Yikes Orifice hit a HR in his last swing.

And Matthew Britton was hitting balls out of TD Ameritrade for us last year in BP. Hitting home runs in BP is very different from doing it in actual games.

This bat thing very well could be nothing- but it's an interesting/fishy coincidence at the very least.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-14-2014, 01:45 PM

I can buy we had a few that didnt pass because they might have been damaged in moving, but their best hitters got their shit pulled and they pretty much had to replace every bat, that just wreaks of foul play. Oh, Orvis said his was only a few weeks old, yeah, plenty of time to mess one up to where it fails inspection. I wonder if coaches will be allowed to carry these rings and ask for bats to be spot checked during a game now.

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 02:31 PM
and are saying it's very common and that every teams has bats confiscated due to simple dents, etc and that we had bats confiscated last year. When you ask them to prove that is when they get really pissed.

Dawg61
06-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Lol Ole Miss has 5 Omaha trips, tournament started there in 1950 and they've been 5 times now, just seems like one because the last time was 1972.

preachermatt83
06-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, Ole Miss's first Omaha trip in 42 years has a big ole ASTERISK by it. Congrats Ole Miss, you can't even get to Omaha legally when you finally get there, ha.

Omaha:

MSU - yes
OM - No

Final Four:
MSU - yes
OM - No

MSU - yes

Total domination in-state in the modern era. They have Vaught and a Omaha trip with an asterisk....everything else is crootin championships and documentaries about almost getting shit done.

Greatest post of 2014 nominee!

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I can buy we had a few that didnt pass because they might have been damaged in moving, but their best hitters got their shit pulled and they pretty much had to replace every bat, that just wreaks of foul play. Oh, Orvis said his was only a few weeks old, yeah, plenty of time to mess one up to where it fails inspection. I wonder if coaches will be allowed to carry these rings and ask for bats to be spot checked during a game now.

What might happen is other teams may ask the umpire to check a bat during a game. I'm pretty sure that's the protocol if you suspect a player is doing something illegal. See the George Brett Pine Tar incident. If a player is caught using illegal equipment, they are ejected from the game.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
and are saying it's very common and that every teams has bats confiscated due to simple dents, etc and that we had bats confiscated last year. When you ask them to prove that is when they get really pissed.

As engie said the inspection is common before CWS play. It's not common to have several bats confiscated. That should be the response.

Saltydog
06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
and play into the weekend.

BossDawg
06-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Final Four:
MSU - yes
OM - No

Don't forget......
Basketball regular season SEC Championships:
MSU - 10
OM - ZEEEEERO!!!

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Don't forget......
MSU - 10
OM - ZEEEEERO!!!

Basketball doesn't matter****

jbjones
06-14-2014, 06:04 PM

Omaha:

MSU - yes
OM - No

Final Four:
MSU - yes
OM - No

MSU - yes

D.A.M.N.

Awesome CD. Awesome....Made my day.

I ain't got much reppin' to give, but you're a-gettin' it.

-JB

State82
06-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Don't forget......
MSU - 10
OM - ZEEEEERO!!!

Whoa! I really did not realize this.

msstate7
06-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Wonder what would happen if bat didnt pass tomorrow after this incident

HereComesTheSpiral
06-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Mike Bianco
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/51045622.jpg

msstate7
06-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Obviously OM tampered with the bats. I wonder how this will affect their psyche. Will knowing theyre using regulation bats get in their head? I hope so.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2014, 07:35 PM
"We would have won the whole thing but they confiscated our illegal bats." Ole Miss 2014

HereComesTheSpiral
06-14-2014, 07:39 PM
"We would have won the whole thing but they confiscated our illegal bats." Ole Miss 2014

9 juiced bats from a championship, going to make a great documentary

blacklistedbully
06-14-2014, 08:04 PM
It is now being reported that all 8 teams had some bats confiscated.

Bear@Work
06-14-2014, 08:56 PM

Shit! I knew it was too good to be true. Any chance they are dissecting them in a lab and find that OM's had been tampered with and everyone else's were clean? Surely that's what they're doing?

BossDawg
06-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Whoa! I really did not realize this.

They are the only team in the conference without a regular season SEC championship in basketball, as a matter of fact.

RougeDawg
06-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Absolutely nothing. Haven't we all learned they have lifetime NCAA immunity.

BossDawg
06-14-2014, 09:09 PM

I wonder how many per team was confiscated. Evidently it was either all or a whole lot of OM's bats.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Shit! I knew it was too good to be true. Any chance they are dissecting them in a lab and find that OM's had been tampered with and everyone else's were clean? Surely that's what they're doing?

I will continue to put an asterisk since All of OM's got confiscated. They are a sad bunch that really haven't accomplished shit since Vaught in any sport without doing something illegal anyway. They know it, we know it....and we still dominate in every sport, so I just ignore the few weeks of Omaha press and then it's back to whipping that ass in everything else.

godlluB
06-14-2014, 09:32 PM

Link?

All I'm seeing is a Sun Herald article where they are quoting Sikes Orvis who claims that he talked to players on other teams who
told them their bats had been confiscated, too. I don't see anything other than what Orvis is saying, and given the circumstances,
he's not exactly the world's most credible witness at the moment.

godlluB
06-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Link?

More specifically, can anyone provide a link to an article claiming this where Sikes Orvis isn't the source?

Bear@Work
06-14-2014, 09:41 PM
More specifically, can anyone provide a link to an article claiming this where Sikes Orvis isn't the source?

Being reported by our beat guy from the CL

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/06/14/ole-miss-bats-taken-day-two/10537589/

mic
06-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Seems strange to me that we had no bats taken last year and we haven't heard of any of this the past few years till OM gets the majority of their bats taken. And the "batting practice " quote Bianco had was very weak. Kind of like Sosa back with the Cubs when his bat was corked. Said it was his batting practice bat and he used it by mistake..
No matter what this will always be and asterisk to me...

godlluB
06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Being reported by our beat guy from the CL

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/06/14/ole-miss-bats-taken-day-two/10537589/

Nope. He's just quoting Orvis as his source. I'm looking for a source who isn't a member of Ole Miss' baseball program.

Radddawg
06-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Nope. He's just quoting Orvis as his source. I'm looking for a source who isn't a member of Ole Miss' baseball program.

Black Bear friend of mine said Parham is reporting both Vandy and TCU had several bats confiscated as well

godlluB
06-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Black Bear friend of mine said Parham is reporting both Vandy and TCU had several bats confiscated as well

I have no idea who "Parham" is, and this is coming from a Bear? Link or it didn't happen.

Radddawg
06-14-2014, 10:27 PM
He covers OM baseball for their Rivals affiliate. I met him a few years ago. Super nice guy. I don't subscribe to our Rivals site but someone who does could go to the Bears page and link it I guess. I could care less. I'm too busy watching baseball and enjoying this cold beverage to fool with something like that.

godlluB
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
He covers OM baseball for their Rivals affiliate. I met him a few years ago. Super nice guy. I don't subscribe to our Rivals site but someone who does could go to the Bears page and link it I guess. I could care less. I'm too busy watching baseball and enjoying this cold beverage to fool with something like that.

Well then, thanks for playing.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 10:35 PM
So, basically Ole Miss people are the only ones claiming that everyone got bats confiscated? But wait- now it's just Ole Miss, TCU, and Vanderbilt?

They're much more coordinated in football.

Radddawg
06-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Relax buddy. There will be online articles about all this tomorrow. If the Bears are the only team that had bats confiscated it will be a huge black eye for that program. If other teams had bats taken away then I don't see it being a big deal.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Seems strange to me that we had no bats taken last year and we haven't heard of any of this the past few years till OM gets the majority of their bats taken. And the "batting practice " quote Bianco had was very weak. Kind of like Sosa back with the Cubs when his bat was corked. Said it was his batting practice bat and he used it by mistake..
No matter what this will always be and asterisk to me...

Yeah. "But...but...they were our batting practice bats..." L.O.L.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Relax buddy. There will be online articles about all this tomorrow. If the Bears are the only team that had bats confiscated it will be a huge black eye for that program. If other teams had bats taken away then I don't see it being a big deal.

Apparently there are articles. And they are all from Ole Miss people at this point. And none of them seem to have their story straight.

godlluB
06-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Apparently there are articles. And they are all from Ole Miss people at this point. And none of them seem to have their story straight.

Which is all I'm saying. There may well be other schools who had bats taken, I don't know. However, right now, the only source I can find in any of the articles are Ole Miss people, and they have reason to try to make this go away.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Well, whenever your bear friends try and tell you we had bats taken last year, tell them they're so full of shit their eyes are brown. This is apparently the first time they have checked them according to this article

https://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaabb/blog/ncaabb_experts/post/State-of-College-Baseball-Rolled-bats-and-regio?urn=ncaabb,169941&print=1

RougeDawg
06-15-2014, 01:30 AM
I will continue to put an asterisk since All of OM's got confiscated. They are a sad bunch that really haven't accomplished shit since Vaught in any sport without doing something illegal anyway. They know it, we know it....and we still dominate in every sport, so I just ignore the few weeks of Omaha press and then it's back to whipping that ass in everything else.

Cadaver lets not forget we had 0.0000 bats confiscated last year on our way to finals.

Tomorrow will be the tell tale on the OM bats and their doctored state.

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 01:45 AM
Well, whenever your bear friends try and tell you we had bats taken last year, tell them they're so full of shit their eyes are brown. This is apparently the first time they have checked them according to this article

https://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaabb/blog/ncaabb_experts/post/State-of-College-Baseball-Rolled-bats-and-regio?urn=ncaabb,169941&print=1

I noticed in that article that they said that the NCAA has become aware of teams doing this (cough, ULL, cough Ole Miss) and that this is about to become an issue.

In other words- the ULL dynasty is about to come to an end.

I'm glad that they are doing this because if they didn't, other teams are going to do the same thing while others may choose to do it on the up and up. That's just not fair.

When some people were talking about us hiring Deggs from ULL as our hitting coach- THAT is the exact thing that I feared might happen. That the NCAA would crack down on bat rolling and then we would be left with a guy that got fired from Texas A&M and hasn't proven that he could have success with the current bats.

Dawg61
06-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Odd that this comes one week after we'd been bitching on here about it. Guess we weren't the only ones to notice something just wasn't quite right.

Smitdawg
06-15-2014, 02:22 AM

Actually, that article isn't from this year. The date at the top says Friday, June 12 and later in the article it mentions people wondering why Oklahoma State was in the tournament, when I believe they hosted a regional this year.

Radddawg
06-15-2014, 05:05 AM
This is apparently the first time they have checked them according to this article

That article is from 2011

All of our bats passed inspection a year ago before our Title Series run

HailState39110
06-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Here is a good video on how to roll a bat:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+roll+a+bat

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBH5nn8Ign0

Saltydog
06-15-2014, 08:16 AM
nt

Radddawg
06-15-2014, 08:46 AM
I thought he was a pretty nice guy. Enjoyed talking baseball with him. He might be a douche but there's no way he is worse than Yancy or that prick McCready.

jalakin
06-15-2014, 09:16 AM
That article is from 2011

All of our bats passed inspection a year ago before our Title Series run

Not according to Bonner. http://www.clarionledger.com/videos/sports/college/ole-miss/2014/06/14/10538383/

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Not according to Bonner. http://www.clarionledger.com/videos/sports/college/ole-miss/2014/06/14/10538383/

There is a lot of contradiction that is going on.

We have people- like Rosebowl- saying that we didn't have any bats confiscated. And now according to Bonner we did?

I like his "I'm not sure why this blew up" comment though. Again- if we had any bats confiscated, it wasn't reported. And to my knowledge we didn't have any confiscated. So, if we did- why wasn't it reported last year?

This wreaks of damage control to me.

blacklistedbully
06-15-2014, 09:47 AM
I just sent an email to the Editor of the Sun Herald, as follows:

Dear Editor,

I must say I find this recent article lacking. While it is certainly a newsworthy story, it seems to fall far short of professional journalistic standards.

How does one publish a story such as this, with implications of possible cheating by a CWS participant, then fill it with remarks designed to excuse the incident or minimize it's impact with comments 100% attributable to the party under scrutiny?

Every single comment reported comes from an Ole Miss player or coach. How could any legitimate news source not require their reporter to dig deeper and at a minimum confirm the claims made by the Ole Miss players and coaches?

Other teams had their bats confiscated? How about a quote from someone from another team to confirm this Ole Miss claim? Coach Bianco says he's sure it's no different from other schools? How about asking the other teams how many they had confiscated??

This article, as is, sounds a lot more like propaganda than serious reporting. It smacks of, "getting out in front of the issue to control it". Is the Sun Herald about CYA for Ole Miss or are you about journalistic integrity?

Even if the Ole Miss staff are telling the truth, how can there not be included in the article even a modest attempt to do some fact-checking, along with quotes from reliable sources outside the Ole Miss program? Would it have been that difficult to interview other teams, NCAA officials, etc? If it was a story worth reporting, was it not worth doing so in a professional, credible manner?

Thank you for your consideration.

msstate7
06-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I just sent an email to the Editor of the Sun Herald, as follows:

Dear Editor,

I must say I find this recent article lacking. While it is certainly a newsworthy story, it seems to fall far short of professional journalistic standards.

How does one publish a story such as this, with implications of possible cheating by a CWS participant, then fill it with remarks designed to excuse the incident or minimize it's impact with comments 100% attributable to the party under scrutiny?

Every single comment reported comes from an Ole Miss player or coach. How could any legitimate news source not require their reporter to dig deeper and at a minimum confirm the claims made by the Ole Miss players and coaches?

Other teams had their bats confiscated? How about a quote from someone from another team to confirm this Ole Miss claim? Coach Bianco says he's sure it's no different from other schools? How about asking the other teams how many they had confiscated??

This article, as is, sounds a lot more like propaganda than serious reporting. It smacks of, "getting out in front of the issue to control it". Is the Sun Herald about CYA for Ole Miss or are you about journalistic integrity?

Even if the Ole Miss staff are telling the truth, how can there not be included in the article even a modest attempt to do some fact-checking, along with quotes from reliable sources outside the Ole Miss program? Would it have been that difficult to interview other teams, NCAA officials, etc? If it was a story worth reporting, was it not worth doing so in a professional, credible manner?

Thank you for your consideration.

Also, how many bats from each team and for what reason they were taken?

jalakin
06-15-2014, 09:57 AM
There is a lot of contradiction that is going on.

We have people- like Rosebowl- saying that we didn't have any bats confiscated. And now according to Bonner we did?

I like his "I'm not sure why this blew up" comment though. Again- if we had any bats confiscated, it wasn't reported. And to my knowledge we didn't have any confiscated. So, if we did- why wasn't it reported last year?

This wreaks of damage control to me.

My only thing is why would Bonner care one way or another. He just doesn't strike me as the type to sugar coat something or try to help cover it up. It's not like he is a fan of either team and therefore has a personal bias.

godlluB
06-15-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm also pretty sure that this hasn't happened in in the last couple of years!

From the article:

"After each team took batting practice at Rosenblatt Stadium on Friday",

HereComesTheSpiral
06-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm also pretty sure that this hasn't happened in in the last couple of years!

From the article:

"After each team took batting practice at Rosenblatt Stadium on Friday",

Really dont need to read articles at 1 in the morning after drinking makers all night

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 11:39 AM
My only thing is why would Bonner care one way or another. He just doesn't strike me as the type to sugar coat something or try to help cover it up. It's not like he is a fan of either team and therefore has a personal bias.

I could see where a lot of Ole Miss people would be upset that the MSU beat writer started all of this, which means that the C-L probably got a lot of complaints about it from Ole Miss fans. I think it's very plausible that they told him to sugar coat it- and I'm sure he is very willing to do so in light of what happened to Matthew Stevens.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
I could see where a lot of Ole Miss people would be upset that the MSU beat writer started all of this, which means that the C-L probably got a lot of complaints about it from Ole Miss fans. I think it's very plausible that they told him to sugar coat it- and I'm sure he is very willing to do so in light of what happened to Matthew Stevens.

But the thing is, he hasn't said anything derogatory or demeaning towards a fan base. He's simply reporting what was happening. No reason for C-L to fire him over reporting something. Stevens gave his opinion on Lafayette and THAT is why he was canned. Bonner is reporting something and if the C-L wants to fire him over reporting, then we have bigger issues. I still don't understand why they didn't send Kellenberger to cover the CWS since he's the OM beat-writer.

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
But the thing is, he hasn't said anything derogatory or demeaning towards a fan base. He's simply reporting what was happening. No reason for C-L to fire him over reporting something. Stevens gave his opinion on Lafayette and THAT is why he was canned. Bonner is reporting something and if the C-L wants to fire him over reporting, then we have bigger issues. I still don't understand why they didn't send Kellenberger to cover the CWS since he's the OM beat-writer.

True about Stevens and I'm not implying that Bonner would or should get fired over this. And I must say that I believe Stevens was fired for some of the other things that he did and the Lafayette thing was the last straw- just so you know where I'm coming from here.

I do however think and believe that Bonner and the C-L got a lot of complaints over this from Ole Miss fans. I also think that could be seen as a "strike" against him in the eyes of the Clarion-Ledger potentially and I definitiely think Bonner has an interest in keeping his job with them.

Kellenberger wasn't sent out there because he had planned a family vacation.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 11:57 AM
True about Stevens and I'm not implying that Bonner would or should get fired over this. And I must say that I believe Stevens was fired for some of the other things that he did and the Lafayette thing was the last straw- just so you know where I'm coming from here.

I do however think and believe that Bonner and the C-L got a lot of complaints over this from Ole Miss fans. I also think that could be seen as a "strike" against him in the eyes of the Clarion-Ledger potentially and I definitiely think Bonner has an interest in keeping his job with them.

Kellenberger wasn't sent out there because he had planned a family vacation.

Okay. I understand where you're coming from Todd. I do think that it's weird that since he's reporting something and the OM fans don't like the fact that he reported something negative on OM, but it's true. Now I'm trying to take off my Maroon glasses on this and see this from the Bear POV. This is seen as an attack on OM and they don't like it. From the outsider's POV, this seems like OM has cheated their way in. Let's be honest, this is what it seems like. Now the fact that he only quotes Orvis and Bianco in the follow-up does make it seem like he's trying to cover his butt and give OM some leverage on this.

He is figuring out how OM works in the media and he's trying to make it as pain-free as possible while he's having to report for them for this short time.

DWDawg
06-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I hate them as much as anybody, but this doesn't send up a huge red flag to me, although it's funny. Bats were taken from all teams from what I'm hearing. Will be interested to see how they do today against one of the nations best pitchers.

godlluB
06-15-2014, 01:04 PM
The only problem with this statement is that the only sources saying that bats were taken from all teams are wearing Ole Miss uniforms.

I'm still waiting to see an article with a source not wearing blue and red.

DWDawg
06-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Question: I get the ring test and understand how they do it, but does a dent actually help the bat? I always thought if anything it hurt it

jalakin
06-15-2014, 01:12 PM

From that perspective I would agree. I can see him feeling pressured to do so, but to me that would be a very shortsighted approach since it should be relatively easy to fact check all of this information and see if they are twisting the story.

BulldogBear
06-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Excuse Prepared***

jalakin
06-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Okay. I understand where you're coming from Todd. I do think that it's weird that since he's reporting something and the OM fans don't like the fact that he reported something negative on OM, but it's true. Now I'm trying to take off my Maroon glasses on this and see this from the Bear POV. This is seen as an attack on OM and they don't like it. From the outsider's POV, this seems like OM has cheated their way in. Let's be honest, this is what it seems like. Now the fact that he only quotes Orvis and Bianco in the follow-up does make it seem like he's trying to cover his butt and give OM some leverage on this.

He is figuring out how OM works in the media and he's trying to make it as pain-free as possible while he's having to report for them for this short time.

In the video I linked didn't he say some of the info come from the CWS officials at the media press conference.

jalakin
06-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Question: I get the ring test and understand how they do it, but does a dent actually help the bat? I always thought if anything it hurt it

It can help, just depends how it is dented. It can make it a slightly flatter surface and help from that stand point or be a sign of weakened metal.

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 01:34 PM
From that perspective I would agree. I can see him feeling pressured to do so, but to me that would be a very shortsighted approach since it should be relatively easy to fact check all of this information and see if they are twisting the story.

Well as of now, it does appear as if there is some twisting. Or at the very least this is unusual.

Here's what is confirmed: Ole Miss had several bats confiscated by the NCAA for not passing their test. This was confirmed by Bonner, Orvis, etc.

MSU fans roast Ole Miss over this.

And then after that we have Ole Miss making claims that MSU had bats confiscated last year, one Ole Miss writer then says that TCU and Vanderbilt had bats confiscated and then another one said every team had bats confiscated. Rosebowl then gets on twitter and says that MSU didn't have any bats confiscted. Bianco comes out and blames it on dents from batting practice. And then finally today Bonner comes out and says that every team has a bat that was confiscated, and that it was routine and not a big deal, not sure why this is a big story etc. Well, my question is if this was something that was routine and not out of the ordinary, why report it anyway? Anyway, as far as I can tell no one other than Ole Miss people are saying that every team had bats confiscated- and even then they aren't keeping their stroy straight. Bonner is the only person not associated with them to say anything even remotely about this being the norm, and when he said it in the interview it seemed a little bit "prepared" if you know what I mean.

PassInterference
06-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Where in the sam hell are the reporters on this? Where the hell is ESPN?

This IS a story. It is highly unusual and highly interesting. And highly negative. Put the widow on the set, give us dirty laundry.

jalakin
06-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I just know it would be nice to get a full complete story from someone neutral to any of the teams there. I hate misinformation and would much rather be told the truth whether good or bad, especially concerning possible cheating.

Dawg61
06-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Where in the sam hell are the reporters on this? Where the hell is ESPN?

This IS a story. It is highly unusual and highly interesting. And highly negative. Put the widow on the set, give us dirty laundry.

ESPN is too busy making scrolls about Ole Miss commits flipping from us

Bear@Work
06-15-2014, 02:02 PM
I hope all this blows up and the UVA pitcher throws a no hitter tonight!

When I read the first article, it seemed like Bonner wrote it in the way of "Ole Miss had the bats they've been using the last few weeks taken. Since baseball is a superstitious sport, that's unfortunate to have their lucky bats taken because they are too worn and the team is pretty down on that." Seems they printed it as just an unlucky Ole Miss article. Then we took it and ran with it with all the cheating talk and it really blew up. it's funny to see the media scrambling to try to put out the flames that we stoked!!

godlluB
06-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I just know it would be nice to get a full complete story from someone neutral to any of the teams there. I hate misinformation and would much rather be told the truth whether good or bad, especially concerning possible cheating.

Yup, this is all I'm asking for.

Todd4State
06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I hope all this blows up and the UVA pitcher throws a no hitter tonight!

When I read the first article, it seemed like Bonner wrote it in the way of "Ole Miss had the bats they've been using the last few weeks taken. Since baseball is a superstitious sport, that's unfortunate to have their lucky bats taken because they are too worn and the team is pretty down on that." Seems they printed it as just an unlucky Ole Miss article. Then we took it and ran with it with all the cheating talk and it really blew up. it's funny to see the media scrambling to try to put out the flames that we stoked!!

It's not going to be top of the day ESPN news because it's college baseball. I bet it gets mentioned some tonight though.

I don't think Bonner wrote it intending to turn things into a firestorm either. But I'm also not really exactly sure what his intention was- if that's a routine thing, he might as well report that Ole Miss will bring gloves to the game tonight. Whatever his intention was, I highly doubt it was malicious.

dawgindothan
06-15-2014, 04:02 PM
the C-L probably got a lot of complaints about it from Ole Miss fans. I think it's very plausible that they told him to sugar coat it- and I'm sure he is very willing to do so in light of what happened to Matthew Stevens.

CL = bear controlled media

RTO Dawg
06-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Also, some probably don't realize how hard it is to dent an aluminum bat. Typically, bats that have been dented are bats that have had the strength of the sidewalls of the bat compromised by shaving the bat to create more of a trampoline effect.

BINGO

War Machine Dawg
06-15-2014, 09:03 PM
CL = bear controlled media

Indeed. We have no media voice in Our State and those in charge of the media here are all BearSharks. That's why we get dirt diggers like VZ, although I liked him by the end.

preachermatt83
06-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Indeed. We have no media voice in Our State and those in charge of the media here are all BearSharks. That's why we get dirt diggers like VZ, although I liked him by the end.

just last night, i had a bearshark alum swear up and down that the Mississippi media were all run by MSU folks especially the Clarion Ledger. That was one of the most insane statements ive ever heard. He is my friend but he is ur typical OM guy and literally got mad over me making fun of him saying that and even called me a liar. I am glad we are friends or we might have tied up lol..