PDA

View Full Version : Non-Soccer Fans

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I am curious, those who aren't soccer fans, what do you think of the World Cup? Do you like it? Do you watch any games? Do you just watch the big teams, just the US? I am a big soccer fan and consider the World Cup the world's greatest sporting event, but I realize not everyone does. So I'm just curious what others think about the tournament.

Just to be clear, I don't want this to be people bashing or defending the sport, so if that's what you want to do, don't post. I just wanna know if non fans watch

Goat Holder
06-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I won't watch a bit of it. Soccer has never been interesting to me. But in reality, I don't really watch much of anything outside MSU anymore. Maybe a little SEC football, golf or the Braves, but that's it. I don't watch basketball either.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I won't watch a bit of it. Soccer has never been interesting to me. But in reality, I don't really watch much of anything outside MSU anymore. Maybe a little SEC football, golf or the Braves, but that's it. I don't watch basketball either.

I know it isn't realistic, but say the US made the final. Would you watch it? Just wondering

MSUDawg4Life
06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
What World Cup? Watch what? No.

mparkerfd20
06-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I inevitably wind up watching a match or 2, but usually only the US. It is very far from the greatest sporting event, but from a World Event it's probably tops. World Sports are uninteresting in general to me tho.

CadaverDawg
06-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I am curious, those who aren't soccer fans, what do you think of the World Cup? Do you like it? Do you watch any games? Do you just watch the big teams, just the US? I am a big soccer fan and consider the World Cup the world's greatest sporting event, but I realize not everyone does. So I'm just curious what others think about the tournament.

Just to be clear, I don't want this to be people bashing or defending the sport, so if that's what you want to do, don't post. I just wanna know if non fans watch

I don't like soccer, but I watch the World Cup and Olympic Soccer.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't like soccer, but I watch the World Cup and Olympic Soccer.

Its interesting that you bring in the Olympics. I don't really find that much interest in that, even being a big soccer guy, due to the new 23 and under rules. Its like a youth tournament with a few older guys sprinkled in. I'll watch if it is on and I'm bored, but it is below the WC and most leagues as far as my interest goes

Goat Holder
06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Doubtful. I probably wouldn't even know it was on.

CadaverDawg
06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Its interesting that you bring in the Olympics. I don't really find that much interest in that, even being a big soccer guy, due to the new 23 and under rules. Its like a youth tournament with a few older guys sprinkled in. I'll watch if it is on and I'm bored, but it is below the WC and most leagues as far as my interest goes

I think I'm just patriotic with sports, ha

Coach34
06-13-2014, 05:47 PM
I think it's a joke and a big waste of TV programming

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
I like it. It helped with the idea of the World Baseball Classic, which I hope is half as big as the World Cup one day.

If the USA made the finals, heck yes I'd watch.

Saltydog
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
a three hours sporting event where you get excited when someone even attempts to score. I realize it's become a popular sport in the US but I guess I'm just old school.

Coach34
06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
I also root for our opponent in every match

scottycameron
06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Doubtful. I probably wouldn't even know it was on.

Ditto. zero interest in it. I will admit it has grown a lot recently. I went to a BWW a few years ago when it or some other soccer thing was going on. It was as crowded as I've ever seen one. As just as cheesy as usual if not even more. This was in Memphis. There must of been a thousand mexicans in that place. I'm guessing a lot of the sports bar type places experience the same thing. When I was younger there wouldn't have been a soul watching it in a place like that, now almost every tv was on it.

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Communist kickball

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:55 PM
a three hours sporting event where you get excited when someone even attempts to score. I realize it's become a popular sport in the US but I guess I'm just old school.

Well, it has a time maximum of about an hour and 45 from first kick to last, barring the rare overtime in a final. Also, the sport is as old as time itself, so I don't see the old school reasoning. And don't you get excited when a football team gets in the red zone or a baseball player rounds third, whether they score or not? I understand that everyone has their opinion and I respect that, but I just don't get the argument against the excitement of attempts to score. But, like I said, I respect how you feel about it. I suppose the arguments for soccer just don't make sense to those who were born with the predisposition of not enjoying it, just the same as the arguments against soccer just don't make sense to those who were born with the predisposition of liking it.

Intramural All-American
06-13-2014, 06:19 PM
As DudyDog said, it is two 45 minute running halves with a 15 minute intervention. So in no way is it 3 hours. Also, so far in 4 games their have been 4 goals, 1 goal (2 others disallowed), 6 goals, and 3 goals currently. So 14 in 4 games.

scottycameron
06-13-2014, 06:29 PM
As DudyDog said, it is two 45 minute running halves with a 15 minute intervention. So in no way is it 3 hours. Also, so far in 4 games their have been 4 goals, 1 goal (2 others disallowed), 6 goals, and 3 goals currently. So 14 in 4 games.

Now we're getting somewhere. Maximum of an hour and forty-five and it feels like every bit of 3 hours. A lot like a wedding or church in that regard. I remember being a kid and realizing that church only lasted from 10:50 until about 1130-1145 and the sermon was usually about 10 -15 minutes. I couldn't believe it, I had always thought it was 2-3 hours long. 40 years later I just got that same feeling reading above that soccer is a max of 1:45.

Intramural All-American
06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Which is your rite. I bet you love golf, too, though.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 06:40 PM
One thing I think that is a major factor is the lack of people who have seen it live. I imagine there's a lot of us who don't like baseball or basketball or football, but have at least seen it life. I think it would change a lot of minds of those who don't like it solely bc they've only seen it on tv if you were able to put them all in a stadium

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
I imagine soccer is a lot like hockey in that respect. If you don't really understand the nuances and just have seen it on tv you don't really care.

Quaoarsking
06-13-2014, 06:53 PM
I watched a few minutes of this Chile - Australia match and couldn't get into it at all. I'm sure there's some nuance that I'm missing that would make it more entertaining, but that's OK. I may passively watch the US's matches, but if they're on while I'm at work, no big deal.

I do like the structure of international soccer and reading about how all the professional and national leagues work. I've probably read the Wikipedia page for every World Cup and lots of domestic leagues, etc., but I just can't be entertained by the actual games. Oh well.

Dawgcentral
06-13-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm from the Hank Hill School of Soccer.

"Soccer was invented by European women so they'd have something to do while the men cooked dinner"

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Don't exactly understand what point that was meant to make but ok

Dawgcentral
06-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Don't exactly understand what point that was meant to make but ok

It was a joke. Actually played some intramural soccer as an independent as MSU. Not a bad game to play if you don't mind the constant running. We had an Iranian goalie who never let anything past him. He defected to the Iranian team that took us out of the finals.

The joke made reference to "King of the Hill". Comedic cartoon I used to watch.

War Machine Dawg
06-13-2014, 09:12 PM
I'll watch the US play our Communist Kickball matches, but once we're out, I'll go back to not giving a shit.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
It was a joke. Actually played some intramural soccer as an independent as MSU. Not a bad game to play if you don't mind the constant running. We had an Iranian goalie who never let anything past him. He defected to the Iranian team that took us out of the finals.

The joke made reference to "King of the Hill". Comedic cartoon I used to watch.

I know what king of the hill is. It's funny. Just saying, maybe put some sarcasterisks something, bc it didn't make sense.

Martianlander
06-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Some of my kids played soccer but I just never could get into it. Not knocking the sport, I would probably watch some if the USA goes deep in the bracket, but just not my cup of tea.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Some of my kids played soccer but I just never could get into it. Not knocking the sport, I would probably watch some if the USA goes deep in the bracket, but just not my cup of tea.

Feel ya. Thats kinda why I started this thread. Just curious how people here view the WC that aren't soccer fans like me

starkvegasdawg
06-13-2014, 09:48 PM
At most, I'll flip over every hour and a half or so to confirm the score is still 0-0.

EdDawg
06-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Not a big futbol fan, but I love the World Cup. I watch many of the games not just the US. Four years ago when Donovan made the goal at the end for us to win our first pool, I may have being yelling louder in my living room than I normally do during a football game(probably not though.)

However there are certain sports I can watch and some I can't. I love college baseball but loathe professional. I have a hard time watching basketball now college or professional(this seems to have happened after State hitting bottom.)

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 09:56 PM
At most, I'll flip over every hour and a half or so to confirm the score is still 0-0.

That is what bothers me the most about non soccer people. In the weakest game today, there were two goals scored within thirteen minutes. When is the last time there were tow touchdowns scored in a football game within thirteen minutes of the game starting. Actual minutes. People complain and say it is boring, but it is the only sport with constant action and a running clock. I guess I just don't see how that bores people

EdDawg
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Also I understand why people are not able to get into watching the games. It's probably like most women view football, they may think if the WR dropped a wide open pass everything is fine, while one of us would be made that someone missed their coverage assignment.

Once you watch enough and you can see a crease or seam develop it starts to get exciting.

EdDawg
06-13-2014, 10:02 PM
That is what bothers me the most about non soccer people. In the weakest game today, there were two goals scored within thirteen minutes. When is the last time there were tow touchdowns scored in a football game within thirteen minutes of the game starting. Actual minutes. People complain and say it is boring, but it is the only sport with constant action and a running clock. I guess I just don't see how that bores people

I stayed for the whole 3-2 Auburn victory like I'm sure many people here did, that game was as boring as I use to think soccer was when I first started watching.

Intramural All-American
06-13-2014, 10:06 PM

15 goals in the first 4 games so far. Your comment is the typical BS spewed from people that hate soccer. There's a difference in not caring for it, and then people who make fun of it. I have no problem with people that just don't get into it, its the people that constantly try to bash the game that bother me. I don't care for hockey and don't watch it, but that doesn't make it a terrible sport.

AlmostPositive
06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Not interested. Too much flopping Eurotrash, too many games turning on flagrantly bad calls.

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Yeah what's the deal with every time someone brushes someone it looks like they stepped on a landmine? Flopping around like they had a cattle prod to their balls.

AlmostPositive
06-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Imagine a football game (real football, where you can use your hands) in which one touchdown games were routine. Then further imagine refs empowered to essentially award a touchdown on a purely subjective basis. This is why I would rather take up Victorian flower pressing than watch kick soccer on teevee. Well, that and the flopping players. And the thuggish fans. And the corrupt governing body. And American affectations like wearing scarves and rooting for Arsenal and making a point to say "pitch" etc.

I seen it dawg
06-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Imagine a football game (real football, where you can use your hands) in which one touchdown games were routine. Then further imagine refs empowered to essentially award a touchdown on a purely subjective basis. This is why I would rather take up Victorian flower pressing than watch kick soccer on teevee. Well, that and the flopping players. And the thuggish fans. And the corrupt governing body. And American affectations like wearing scarves and rooting for Arsenal and making a point to say "pitch" etc.

None of that is in English.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 10:39 PM

So, a PK call in soccer to you is different than a pass interference in the end zone moving a ball to the three in the NFL? Okay. Both are virtually a guaranteed score.

Corrupt governing body? Ever heard of the NCAA?

Thuggish fans? Wasn't a baseball fan killed outside dodger stadium last season.

My point in all this is that the biggest gripes that non soccer fans have all equate to sports we love in the US. The only thing I agree w is the American fans trying to change their vernacular to sound smart. I work in soccer, and love soccer, but I call things what I always have, not what Brits call it

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 10:40 PM
15 goals in the first 4 games so far. Your comment is the typical BS spewed from people that hate soccer. There's a difference in not caring for it, and then people who make fun of it. I have no problem with people that just don't get into it, its the people that constantly try to bash the game that bother me. I don't care for hockey and don't watch it, but that doesn't make it a terrible sport.
Completely agree intramural. I understand if you just can't really get into it. But so many people just go out
Of their way to hate on it. I don't care for tennis, but I'm not going to get on here and bash the sport

Quaoarsking
06-13-2014, 10:45 PM

"Constant action" is an overstatement. There was a lot of standing around in the few minutes of the match I watched today, just half-hearted kicking back and forth.

Basketball and hockey have more "constant action" than soccer for sure. Baseball doesn't have "constant action," but tension builds in the down moments. To be fair, that may be true in soccer too and I just didn't pick up on it.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 10:47 PM
"Constant action" is an overstatement. There was a lot of standing around in the few minutes of the match I watched today, just half-hearted kicking back and forth.

Basketball and hockey have more "constant action" than soccer for sure. Baseball doesn't have "constant action," but tension builds in the down moments. To be fair, that may be true in soccer too and I just didn't pick up on it.

I understand that last sentiment, that you may just not pick it up. I think the easiest way to think about it is this. Equate the time the ball is being kicked around by the defenders to the ball being dribbled up the floor by a PG. Nothing really happening to the casual fan, yet everything is being set in motion

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I inevitably wind up watching a match or 2, but usually only the US. It is very far from the greatest sporting event, but from a World Event it's probably tops. World Sports are uninteresting in general to me tho.

I fail to see how it can be "far from the greatest sporting event" when it more than triples the viewership than the Superbowl

AlmostPositive
06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
So, a PK call in soccer to you is different than a pass interference in the end zone moving a ball to the three in the NFL? Okay. Both are virtually a guaranteed score.

My point in all this is that the biggest gripes that non soccer fans have all equate to sports we love in the US. The only thing I agree w is the American fans trying to change their vernacular to sound smart. I work in soccer, and love soccer, but I call things what I always have, not what Brits call it

FIFA makes the NCAA look like Boy Scouts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/02/fifa-winner-of-the-world-cup-of-corruption/

The difference between a penalty that all but awards a score, i.e., a free kick, and one in American football is that the soccer one is routinely the only the score in the game. So yeah, bad officiating alters the outcome of soccer games far more than it does in American football.

And do you really want to compare soccer's fan violence to any other popular sport? Srsly?

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 11:48 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/02/fifa-winner-of-the-world-cup-of-corruption/

The difference between a penalty that all but awards a score, i.e., a free kick, and one in American football is that the soccer one is routinely the only the score in the game. So yeah, bad officiating alters the outcome of soccer games far more than it does in American football.

And do you realy want to compare soccer's fan violence to any other popular sport? Srsly?

It's way worse, over all, due to the second and third world counties. If America is the top of professional sports, and you compare that to the top (economically) to the top in soccer, it isn't a huge chasm.

And 1-0 isn't necessarily routine. Yes, it is more common than 7-0, but it isn't the norm. And in football (ours) there are far more calls made (right or wrong) than there are in soccer. So yes, I would consider them close as far as a referees impact. Not equal, but close

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 11:50 PM
As far as that article goes, I only read one line, but I assume it's about the bribing to get Qatar the WC. Which is clear. They cheated to get it. And stories of a few million dollar bribes are coming out. Yet the NCAA is making billions, not millions of their athletes. Soccer players are getting payed. NCAA aren't. We over look that and don't see it as corrupt, but it is. Way worse than any other profession in this country

AlmostPositive
06-13-2014, 11:56 PM
As far as that article goes, I only read one line, but I assume it's about the bribing to get Qatar the WC. Which is clear. They cheated to get it. And stories of a few million dollar bribes are coming out. Yet the NCAA is making billions, not millions of their athletes. Soccer players are getting payed. NCAA aren't. We over look that and don't see it as corrupt, but it is. Way worse than any other profession in this country

"I only read one line"

Read some more lines. FIFA is an ongoing criminal enterprise that has no parallel in American sports. If that doesn't bother you because you're a bigtime soccer fanboy, fine... just stop trying to have an actual fact-based exchange.

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2014, 12:09 AM

And do you realy want to compare soccer's fan violence to any other popular sport? Srsly?

Damn. It really is Communist kickball. How the hell does a place like Qatar even get legitimately mentioned as a WC Host, much less actually picked? You might as well have it in Iran, it's about the same.

And match fixing? WOW. Might as well be the WWE with scripted outcomes. To me, that's even bigger than the bribery.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 12:10 AM
"I only read one line"

Read some more lines. FIFA is an ongoing criminal enterprise that has no parallel in American sports. If that doesn't bother you because yuore a bigtime soccer fanboy, fine... just stop trying to have an actual fact-based exchange.

Criminal enterprise. Come on. Not once have I called fifa clean or anything like that. But to act like it's that much worse than the NCAA is ludicrous

AlmostPositive
06-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Criminal enterprise. Come on. Not once have I called fifa clean or anything like that. But to act like it's that much worse than the NCAA is ludicrous

Educate yourself.

dawgs
06-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Now we're getting somewhere. Maximum of an hour and forty-five and it feels like every bit of 3 hours. A lot like a wedding or church in that regard. I remember being a kid and realizing that church only lasted from 10:50 until about 1130-1145 and the sermon was usually about 10 -15 minutes. I couldn't believe it, I had always thought it was 2-3 hours long. 40 years later I just got that same feeling reading above that soccer is a max of 1:45.

I'm the opposite with soccer. Seems like 5 minutes has gone by, then I look down and realize 30 minutes has gone off the clock.

dawgs
06-14-2014, 02:02 AM
Baseball, hockey, and soccer are the best sports at building drama. Why? Because the drama builds naturally and there aren't time outs breaking up the flow of the end of a close game. Yeah I know baseball has breaks between innings and for a pitching change, but that's in the natural flow of the game.

Football, especially big TV games, and damn near every basketball can almost be unbearable the last couple minutes of a close game. No flow, timeouts, it all just kills the drama.

dawgs
06-14-2014, 02:03 AM

Agree 100%. Of course there's slight differences in analogies, but it's essentially just a matter of what you've grown up with.

rabbitthedawg
06-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Communist sport! Boring as hell!

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2014, 08:06 AM
I watched a lot of the last wc. I also watched esp vs ned yesterday. I enjoyed it. I have never been around soccer at all.

EngineerDawg
06-14-2014, 08:32 AM
I think you all should watch and encourage it. Soccer is the worlds game and it's one of the few sports we as a nation don't excel at. Consider us a punching bag until we all support the game.

Side note:
Your children have or will play it no matter how stupid you think it is. It also paid for my education. Am I a soccer fanatic? No. But I think it deserves the same respect as it is equally as difficult.

MSUDawg4Life
06-14-2014, 08:59 AM
You soccer people need to get over yourselves.

For whatever reason, some of us don't like your sport. Not interested in it. Won't watch it.

You all apparently have a big event going on right now. Enjoy it and don't worry about the rest of us who have better things to do.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2014, 09:15 AM
So I see I got ridiculed for insinuating soccer was a low scoring game. The rebuttal was that in 4 games 15 goals had been scored. So in 4 games 8 teams totaled 15 games. Basic math tells me that is less than two goals per team per game. I really don't think my sarcastic statement of checking in every 90 minutes to confirm the score is 0-0 that far off. For chuckles I switched over to a game and even the crowd verified it is a slow game. They would go crazy as soon as one team would get the ball much over centerfield. Just the slightest hint that a team was within 200 feet of a goal and might, just might, have a chance at a shot sent them into hysteria. But alas, every time they'd kick it straight to the other team and back the other way they went. The other thing I hate about soccer...the clock that counts up and not down.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I get the whole FIFA argument, they are a pretty messed up organization, but this topic isn't about FIFA it's about our country playing a sport against other nations. I enjoy watching the World Cup, because similar to the Olympics(lets not act like that organization is the greatest) you have the country's best athletes competing in that sport.

Now here's the thing and this might sound crazy, but you can enjoy watching a sport while hating the organization behind it. I enjoy watching soccer, hate FIFA. College football is my favorite sport nothing even comes close, but I hate the NCAA. I love Mississippi State, hate the SEC. See how this works? Similar to people that hate walmart but continuously shop there.

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 09:21 AM
You soccer people need to get over yourselves.

For whatever reason, some of us don't like your sport. Not interested in it. Won't watch it.

You all apparently have a big event going on right now. Enjoy it and don't worry about the rest of us who have better things to do.

new word - soccophobic. Use it just like the other one. I'm starting now.

dawgs
06-14-2014, 09:48 AM
So I see I got ridiculed for insinuating soccer was a low scoring game. The rebuttal was that in 4 games 15 goals had been scored. So in 4 games 8 teams totaled 15 games. Basic math tells me that is less than two goals per team per game. I really don't think my sarcastic statement of checking in every 90 minutes to confirm the score is 0-0 that far off. For chuckles I switched over to a game and even the crowd verified it is a slow game. They would go crazy as soon as one team would get the ball much over centerfield. Just the slightest hint that a team was within 200 feet of a goal and might, just might, have a chance at a shot sent them into hysteria. But alas, every time they'd kick it straight to the other team and back the other way they went. The other thing I hate about soccer...the clock that counts up and not down.

The crowd only gets loud when a team has numbers on a counter attack crossing midfield. It's the equivalent of the crowd getting loud when a RB breaks through the front 7. He's not likely to score a 50+ yd TD, but that doesn't stop us from getting excited.

If you want to find faults with soccer, you will if you've decided you already don't like it. You can do the same with every sport though. But for some reason soccer haters need to let you know how much they hate soccer if someone starts to talk about a game. Then of course the soccer fan will get defensive, and the soccer hater will get more attacking and some on and so on.

Fwiw I played soccer like 1 or 2 years when I was like 6 or 7, but my enjoyment and appreciation of the game grew out of playing FIFA on Xbox.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Answering the OP:

I'm not a real fan of the game of soccer itself, but I do and always have enjoyed the "olympic" type concept. I've always been interested in "world" competition. I guess it's a form of Nationalism. And you can still find interesting/compelling underdogs to root for too. So, yes I enjoy the world cup though not soccer in particular.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2014, 09:57 AM
If you want to find faults with soccer, you will if you've decided you already don't like it. You can do the same with every sport though. But for some reason soccer haters need to let you know how much they hate soccer if someone starts to talk about a game. Then of course the soccer fan will get defensive, and the soccer hater will get more attacking and some on and so.

Is this the reason for the riots in the stands?

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:06 AM

From boredom. Yes.

Does that make me a soccer hater?***

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Answering the OP:

I'm not a real fan of the game of soccer itself, but I do and always have enjoyed the "olympic" type concept. I've always been interested in "world" competition. I guess it's a form of Nationalism. And you can still find interesting/compelling underdogs to root for too. So, yes I enjoy the world cup though not soccer in particular.
Thanks you for posting. I think that's a pretty common feeling about the WC

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 10:12 AM

See that's what bothers me. I understand that you're trying
To be funny. Good for you. But that stuff used to happen here in sports. It has nothing to do with the game, it's the country. That crap happens in turkey and the Middle East nowadays bc of political reasons. It has nothing to do with the sport. People aren't protesting in brazil bc of the game, it's bc of the government. That's dumb to act like soccer sucks because the people in a second or third world country are making a political statement

dawgs
06-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Is it all that different from riots after basketball, football, hockey, and baseball teams win or loss chamionships?

Baseball to a lesser extent because the fanbase is older, but there have been fights/murders immediately before or after games, like the aforementioned giants/dodgers altercations.

Bark
06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
I think it's a joke and a big waste of TV programming

This

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 11:37 AM
See that's what bothers me. I understand that you're trying
To be funny. Good for you. But that stuff used to happen here in sports. It has nothing to do with the game, it's the country. That crap happens in turkey and the Middle East nowadays bc of political reasons. It has nothing to do with the sport. People aren't protesting in brazil bc of the game, it's bc of the government. That's dumb to act like soccer sucks because the people in a second or third world country are making a political statement

I'm no authority but I remember seeing a blurb about somebody getting killed with a toilet at a match and another about a referee getting his head cut off - I think, not positive. I think this was s. america.

smootness
06-14-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm no authority but I remember seeing a blurb about somebody getting killed with a toilet at a match and another about a referee getting his head cut off - I think, not positive. I think this was s. america.

Yeah, the ref being beheaded was in Brazil...after the ref stabbed one of the players to death. It was at an amateur match. Not sure what any of this has to do with the sport, though. South Americans are crazy, the same would have happened if they had been playing checkers.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the ref being beheaded was in Brazil...after the ref stabbed one of the players to death. It was at an amateur match. Not sure what any of this has to do with the sport, though. South Americans are crazy, the same would have happened if they had been playing checkers.

Those games are more intense than the pro ones

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Wow. Like Austin Powers?

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2014, 12:56 PM

No, riots in the stands and on the field are the reason we have a trophy for the "Eggbowl".

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 01:08 PM
If anyone wants to argue about building up drama look no further than USA vs Algeria last WC.

Soccer builds and delivers drama like no other sport.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah, the ref being beheaded was in Brazil...after the ref stabbed one of the players to death.

Bingo.

It's been true since Simon Bolivar said it... South Americans are crazy.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2014, 01:30 PM
If anyone wants to argue about building up drama look no further than USA vs Algeria last WC.

Soccer builds and delivers drama like no other sport.

Seriously? I guess if the build up to one point winning a match that is played all afternoon qualifies then maybe so.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Seriously? I guess if the build up to one point winning a match that is played all afternoon qualifies then maybe so.

One stoke wins golf tournaments. They play that for four days. Soccer lasts an hour and a half. It's the shortest major sport, yet people who don't like it are acting like it takes six hours.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 01:46 PM
One stoke wins golf tournaments. They play that for four days. Soccer lasts an hour and a half. It's the shortest major sport, yet people who don't like it are acting like it takes six hours.

They're used to the tv timeouts and stoppages of the other sports.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 01:51 PM
They're used to the tv timeouts and stoppages of the other sports.

I suppose most people can only take activity in small doses

scottycameron
06-14-2014, 02:10 PM
If they would show the toilet throwing on tv I'd be more prone to watch. I don't know what it is, there is just something I don't like about people doing stuff with their feet that they should do with their hands. I think that is the root of my soccophobia. Not just soccer but the nerds that used to kick around the hacky sack thing like they didn't have arms. They looked like the knight in monte python who gets his arms cut off dancing around kicking. Just gets under my skin for some reason. Also the non-football kids who would play football in the yard and would always want to slide and trip somebody instead of tackling them - tackling with their feet. That was the worst. Don't know the exact reason, soccer just makes me want to smack somebody.

AlmostPositive
06-14-2014, 03:06 PM
If they would show the toilet throwing on tv I'd be more prone to watch. I don't know what it is, there is just something I don't like about people doing stuff with their feet that they should do with their hands. I think that is the root of my soccophobia. Not just soccer but the nerds that used to kick around the hacky sack thing like they didn't have arms. They looked like the knight in monte python who gets his arms cut off dancing around kicking. Just gets under my skin for some reason. Also the non-football kids who would play football in the yard and would always want to slide and trip somebody instead of tackling them - tackling with their feet. That was the worst. Don't know the exact reason, soccer just makes me want to smack somebody.

You say all that to my face and I'll bite your legs off!

Seriously, the no hands thing bugs me too. I don't think it's any great stretch to see that on the whole, evolution has worked to produce legs to move us around and hands and fingers to interact with obects (and people...come in Rangoon!)

It reminds me of people forcing themselves to eat with chopsticks even though they bascially suck as a means to get a variety of things into your mouth.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 03:52 PM
You say all that to my face and I'll bite your legs off!

Seriously, the no hands thing bugs me too. I don't think it's any great stretch to see that on the whole, evolution has worked to produce legs to move us around and hands and fingers to interact with obects (and people...come in Rangoon!)

It reminds me of people forcing themselves to eat with chopsticks even though they bascially suck as a means to get a variety of things into your mouth.

They think they are being cultured. Sometimes it's pathetic. Other times it's just trying to be well rounded. Everyone should learn to eat with chopsticks and then use a fork for the rest of their life because it's a waaaaaaaaaayyyy better tool.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 03:56 PM
If they could access the internet in china you guys would be getting an earful (eyeful?) right now