PDA

View Full Version : Does Dak have the skill set to play in nfl?

Pokerdawg44
06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Football experts, what's your opinion and percentages of Dak playing in the nfl? Msu really need a qb to make it to the league. Dak seems perfect for our offense but can his game translate to the nfl?

TheRef
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Football experts, what's your opinion and percentages of Dak playing in the nfl? Msu really need a qb to make it to the league. Dak seems perfect for our offense but can his game translate to the nfl?

If his arm strength improves then I could see it. I don't think he has quite the arm strength for the NFL just yet.

drunkernhelldawg
06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Go ahead and laugh, but I still think Tyler Russell finds a home in the NFL. If you're wondering, he's waiting until next season to try and get signed, rehabbing an injury.

ETA: Does anybody know the whole Don Smith story?

Goat Holder
06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Going to have to get much better throwing the ball. If he continues what he did against Ole Miss, yes.

Coach34
06-13-2014, 02:35 PM
If his arm strength improves then I could see it. I don't think he has quite the arm strength for the NFL just yet.

wtf? Dak has a ******* cannon. Much better than Russell. Dakota has to get his accuracy and decison-making up to par- but arm strength is the least of his worries. MoJo dropped passes from him all year because his passes were harder than Russell's- whom he was used to

MetEdDawg
06-13-2014, 02:39 PM
wtf? Dak has a ******* cannon. Much better than Russell. Dakota has to get his accuracy and decison-making up to par- but arm strength is the least of his worries. MoJo dropped passes from him all year because his passes were harder than Russell's- whom he was used to

Spot on. His growth has to come in reading WR progressions, reading defenses and checking into more favorable plays, and locking in his accuracy. Would really help for him to be able to hit on the deep ball too this year. That's still lacking from our offensive arsenal as a whole, so him being able to do that will do wonders for him and our offense.

esplanade91
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Go ahead and laugh, but I still think Tyler Russell finds a home in the NFL. If you're wondering, he's waiting until next season to try and get signed, rehabbing an injury.

ETA: Does anybody know the whole Don Smith story?

No. Unfortunate, but no.

No one "waits until next season" to get signed. Whoever fed you that lie is oblivious. Even if he is still rehabbing and getting ready for next year, that doesn't prevent a team from signing him. I'd say it's even standard practice for NFL teams to sign injured college players and follow their rehab through.

I think everyone thought TR was going to be signed to an UFA deal but he wasn't. End of story. I hate it as much as you, but this is clearly a case of bias.

And not to continue to be a Debby downer, but I don't think Dak's game translates. The closest QB I can compare him to as far as style goes is Jordan Lynch. He went undrafted and signed a tender with the Bears as a running back.

Whatever happened to a guy being THE man because he was a great college player? A guy's pro potential seems to be the new measuring stick around these parts.

ETA: Next year there will be a new crop of undrafted QB's for NFL teams to sign who haven't been sitting out a year. It's reality.

War Machine Dawg
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Absolutely Dak can play in the NFL. As C34 and MED have said, he's got a damn cannon for an arm. He's still got some footwork issues and needs to improve some of the mental areas of the game in terms of progressions and audibles, but that's fixable. The improvement he made in that area just from the beginning of last season to the Liberty Bowl was astounding to me. He works his ass off, so I have no doubt he can improve the things he needs to improve upon to play in the NFL. Plus, the QB position as a whole is changing and mobile QBs are becoming the norm as opposed to the exception. You're already starting to see it in the NFL, but in a few more years, there will be more mobile QBs than traditional pocket passing QBs there. I also think Dak is the most complete QB Mullen has coached. He throws better than Tebow and is more mobile than Smith. And he seems to have that intangible "it" the best QBs have.

Coach34
06-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Dakota is smart and also has the "IT"...we'll see if he is more accurate and is really learning to use more "touch" on certain passes. I think he will get there on reading the progressions.

EdDawg
06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I believe he does. Dak hasn't had a great amount of attempts throwing downfield, even when he did it was earlier in the year when he was still getting experience. However, Dak has one of the major skills a QB in the NFL must have and that is good footwork, because of this Dak is more comfortable in the pocket. That is where TR was different, his footwork was terrible and he looked like a statue in the pocket most plays. That sucks since TR has almost all the tools needed to be an NFL QB.

Dawgface
06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
No. Unfortunate, but no.

No one "waits until next season" to get signed. Whoever fed you that lie is oblivious. Even if he is still rehabbing and getting ready for next year, that doesn't prevent a team from signing him. I'd say it's even standard practice for NFL teams to sign injured college players and follow their rehab through.

I think everyone thought TR was going to be signed to an UFA deal but he wasn't. End of story. I hate it as much as you, but this is clearly a case of bias.

Actually Tyler Russell said this last night on the local Meridian station. San Diego supposedly offered and a couple of other teams after them. But TR said he wanted to be 100% before signing and giving it ago. Perhaps he is in denial and saying a bunch of bs for the locals, but this is probably where drunkenhell got his info.

Coach34
06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
You dont turn down a chance to get signed and get into an NFL camp- they can put you on IR or a practice squad while u get healthy

Dawgface
06-13-2014, 06:44 PM
That may be true. Just saying what was on the local news. In fact the 2nd part of a series on him was just on. He went onto say he is 6-8 weeks from being 100%, only 80% right now. Said that his agent keeps in touch with him daily. No doubt though, even if he is given a shot when he is ready......he is a long shot at best.

BullDog
06-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I respect you for truly expressing your ignorance.

3 years ago, the spring game was on a short field. Dak threw a 50, cross field, outside shoulder, bullet. But not quite measuring to your sophisticated eye. I hate how phucking stupid MSU fans are. Maybe, it's me, I invested, sacrificed and played in college, Basketball. I hope I can continue to express my Friday after work buzz on hear. Dan, rick, best coaches in the nation!! Cohen, love him. College baseball though is really weird, schollys #9 and all that. I'm just glad I don't have to pay to read all the entertainment on patite dog! Lets start another well thought out illuminating thread on our concerns about Rick Ray. LOL, The sips finest are ELITE!

BullDog
06-13-2014, 07:23 PM
OMG did I say this___>>> I respect you for truly expressing your ignorance.

3 years ago, the spring game was on a short field. Dak threw a 50, cross field, outside shoulder, bullet. But not quite measuring to your sophisticated eye. I hate how phucking stupid MSU fans are. Maybe, it's me, I invested, sacrificed and played in college, Basketball. I hope I can continue to express my Friday after work buzz on hear. Dan, rick, best coaches in the nation!! Cohen, love him. College baseball though is really weird, schollys #9 and all that. I'm just glad I don't have to pay to read all the entertainment on patite dog! Lets start another well thought out illuminating thread on our concerns about Rick Ray. LOL, The sips finest are ELITE! You guys are hobby ist!

drunkernhelldawg
06-14-2014, 08:52 AM
I love how people in this thread are so sure they know how anyone would behave regarding TR's NFL plans. The league is littered with the remnants of failed players who tried too much too soon. The level of athleticism and performance in the NFL is beyond what most people can visualize, even after they've seen it. I can't think of any negatives to waiting until the body is as prepared as the mind. He is certainly a long shot, but he has not diminished his chances one iota by working independently for a year. If he has the skills, and I think he does, he will still have them next March. Quarterback is a huge need in the NFL as about half the teams or more are at least partially deficient at the position, in that their quarterbacks have one limitation or another. Not to mention that some of the best qb's in the NFL (Brees and Manning) are in the back half of their careers.

Pollodawg
06-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Dak has a rifle. Watch his first drive in the LSU game. Kid was throwing BBs. Malcolm Johnson dropped at least two passes that hit him between the numbers. Threaded the needle a few times too. People, you all can laugh at me all you want, but Dak has a better arm than Tebow did, and he is way faster and more elusive.

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 09:24 AM
One thing Dak doesn't have that improves his arm over Tebow is that wind up. Tebow had to rework his whole throwing motion going to the NFL, Dak's isn't perfect and will have to tweek his some but not as much as Tebow.

Pollodawg
06-14-2014, 09:31 AM
One thing Dak doesn't have that improves his arm over Tebow is that wind up. Tebow had to rework his whole throwing motion going to the NFL, Dak's isn't perfect and will have to tweek his some but not as much as Tebow.

Dak's throwing motion looks way more natural and smooth than Tebow's ever did. Tebow had the ugliest throwing motion I have ever seen.

Political Hack
06-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Probably not.