PDA

View Full Version : Top Moments at Scott Field

TheRef
06-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Well....we are remembering the Top 10 moments in Scott Field history, but we're kinda limiting it to post DWS construction. At #9 we have the 2001 game against South Carolina on a Thursday night as the first college football game after 9/11. For your viewing pleasure, the whole game is available on YouTube. Be sure to stick with Maroon and White Nation every day for the Moment of the Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzRjH_Yg9f8

Bubb Rubb
06-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Well....we are remembering the Top 10 moments in Scott Field history, but we're kinda limiting it to post DWS construction. At #9 we have the 2001 game against South Carolina on a Thursday night as the first college football game after 9/11. For your viewing pleasure, the whole game is available on YouTube. Be sure to stick with Maroon and White Nation every day for the Moment of the Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzRjH_Yg9f8

So I get to watch Justin Jenkins drop a wide open pass that would've won the game all over again?

TheRef
06-13-2014, 12:21 PM
So I get to watch Justin Jenkins drop a wide open pass that would've won the game all over again?

Yupp...sorry, Bubb

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Damn. What was #10? Auburn 3 MSU 2?

TheRef
06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Damn. What was #10? Auburn 3 MSU 2?

It was mainly for the pre-game stuff...not necessarily for the game.

drunkernhelldawg
06-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Thank you for bringing back the name "Scott Field," which Davis-Wade Stadium has almost totally supplanted. I'm looking forward to the series. Gotta tell you though, a lot of energy exploded on Scott Field prior to the DWS construction. The thing that is etched in my mind forever is the 14-10 Homecoming victory over a ranked Miami team featuring Bernie Kosar. The last five minutes of this game and the rocking maroon crowd will never be forgotten by those who were there. I bet Bernie remembers it vividly, how his apparent winning touchdown pass was called back. It was 82 or 83, probably 82. Coach Bellard mentioned the atmosphere in his pep rally remarks the following week. "That's the kind of atmosphere we need," he said, or something close.

You think I'm old? Just keep ridin'. That clock ain't stoppin' for nobody.

War Machine Dawg
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
If #1 isn't the '98 win over UPig to essentially win the SECW, this whole list is a sham.

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2014, 03:13 PM
If #1 isn't the '98 win over UPig to essentially win the SECW, this whole list is a sham.

You'll be disappointed then because I'm only dating back to 2000 when DWS construction started.

The reason is because 1. I am 30 and don't remember anything prior to JWS so I'm sure I'd miss a couple of really awesome games that I just don't remember 2. video and graphics are a lot easier to come by in this era 3. I recently wrote a historical piece on the history of Scott Field for Maroon Magazine where I went through every single game that has been played and basically it all sucks prior to 1980 because we played in Jackson or on the other team's home field.

That said, it would be a tough call between the '98 win over UPig and the '99 kick and pick for the #1 slot if I did a list of all 100 years. Also '96 Bama would be up there too....there would be a lot to sift through. Narrowing the list to just the last 14 season was hard because there aren't that many great moments, hence #9 being this 9/11 game.

Bubb Rubb
06-13-2014, 03:20 PM
You'll be disappointed then because I'm only dating back to 2000 when DWS construction started.

The reason is because 1. I am 30 and don't remember anything prior to JWS so I'm sure I'd miss a couple of really awesome games that I just don't remember 2. video and graphics are a lot easier to come by in this era 3. I recently wrote a historical piece on the history of Scott Field for Maroon Magazine where I went through every single game that has been played and basically it all sucks prior to 1980 because we played in Jackson or on the other team's home field.

That said, it would be a tough call between the '98 win over UPig and the '99 kick and pick for the #1 slot if I did a list of all 100 years. Also '96 Bama would be up there too....there would be a lot to sift through. Narrowing the list to just the last 14 season was hard because there aren't that many great moments, hence #9 being this 9/11 game.

96 Bama is my favorite of all time. That game had it all. We beat Alabama, who was highly ranked at the time. After that game, Mal Moore and Gene Stallings got into it in the locker room, which ultimately led to Stallings retiring. That win also propelled us into some really good years in 97-2000. Oh yeah, and a skydiver bit it on the 30 yardline before the game too.

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
I've decided to make top 10 lists for the time period between each stadium expansion. It's the summer so, why not. I'll post #8 and #7 from the DWS era tomorrow on M&WN.

Goat Holder
06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
My best guesses for the rest, in no particular order:

1 - Anthony Johnson 100 yd Pic-6 vs. Bammer 2007
2 - Johnthan Banks 100 yd Pic-6 vs. Florida 2009
3 - Dixon carrying 3 Houston defenders into the end zone 2009
4 - Nick Bell's mom vs. Arkansas 2010
5 - Beating the hell out of Florida 2000 all damn day, take your pic
6 - Jerious Norwood Florida 2004
7 - Derek Pegues Ole Miss 2007
8 - Hoisting the 2009 Egg after they were supposed to leave our program behind 4 eva

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 05:20 PM
I was there for 1999 Egg Bowl, 1998 vs. Arkansas, and 1996 Alabama.

If I had to rank just those three:

1. 1999 Egg Bowl. Before that Ole Miss fans always talked about the field goal that the wind knocked down. Thanks to this, I could come back with the time Romaro Miller threw it up for grabs and we tipped it and won the game on a field goal.

2. 1996 Alabama. That was when Alabama was close to where they are now. We had numerous heart breaking losses to them before that.

3. 1998 Arkansas. Won the West. Egg Bowl week was the coup de grace when I saw Romaro Miller go down against Georgia.

4. 1999 LSU. They were 2-9 or whatever, but it was a great game.

5. 1994 Tennessee. Much like Tom Brady, we beat Peyton.

War Machine Dawg
06-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I was there for 1999 Egg Bowl, 1998 vs. Arkansas, and 1996 Alabama.

If I had to rank just those three:

1. 1999 Egg Bowl. Before that Ole Miss fans always talked about the field goal that the wind knocked down. Thanks to this, I could come back with the time Romaro Miller threw it up for grabs and we tipped it and won the game on a field goal.

2. 1996 Alabama. That was when Alabama was close to where they are now. We had numerous heart breaking losses to them before that.

3. 1998 Arkansas. Won the West. Egg Bowl week was the coup de grace when I saw Romaro Miller go down against Georgia.

4. 1999 LSU. They were 2-9 or whatever, but it was a great game.

5. 1994 Tennessee. Much like Tom Brady, we beat Peyton.

I get the argument for '99. Hell, I was in the stadium that night. It's still one of the most electric atmospheres I can remember having for a State game. And it seems now a certain WIDE OPEN CJ SIRMONES has been lost in the lore of that game.

But it HAS to be '98 Arkansas for one simple reason: Championship. It's the only time in the modern era we've won the division. I know we had to beat Mississippi the next week, but was there any doubt we were going to do it? Not for me, especially once Romaro went down against Jawja that same night.

Side note: The only game of those 5 you listed I wasn't at was '96 Bama. Every single one on that list is awesome, though.

War Machine Dawg
06-13-2014, 07:27 PM

8 - Hoisting the 2009 Egg after they were supposed to leave our program behind 4 eva

If we're doing a post-DWS expansion only, then I'd say AJ's Bama pick-6 is #1. It got us to 5 Ws, set the stage for Crooms' bowl, and we beat the Dark Lord, as Tusk likes to refer to him. Plus, it's STILL the loudest single moment I've ever heard at DWS. Literally couldn't hear myself yelling at my friends next to me or my cowbell ringing. Unbelievable moment. There's an epic thread about everyone's reaction to it in SPS Remembers.

Dixon carrying 3 defenders 20 yards for a TD is something I'll never forget.

A very, very close #2, and certainly worthy of #1, is the beatdown of Florida. Dicenzo & Dontae ran wild. 3rd and 57. But perhaps my favorite is the legend that Willie Blade tells the FL C prior to the first snap: "My name's Willie Blade. Don't nobody block Willie Blade." Then Blade proceeds to live in the FL backfield all afternoon.

Todd4State
06-13-2014, 07:38 PM
I get the argument for '99. Hell, I was in the stadium that night. It's still one of the most electric atmospheres I can remember having for a State game. And it seems now a certain WIDE OPEN CJ SIRMONES has been lost in the lore of that game.

But it HAS to be '98 Arkansas for one simple reason: Championship. It's the only time in the modern era we've won the division. I know we had to beat Mississippi the next week, but was there any doubt we were going to do it? Not for me, especially once Romaro went down against Jawja that same night.

Side note: The only game of those 5 you listed I wasn't at was '96 Bama. Every single one on that list is awesome, though.

Dan Mullen would tell you that the 1999 Egg Bowl was for a championship. And I like his attitude about that.

CadaverDawg
06-13-2014, 07:56 PM
What was #10?

Schultzy
06-13-2014, 09:08 PM
96 Bama is my favorite of all time. That game had it all. We beat Alabama, who was highly ranked at the time. After that game, Mal Moore and Gene Stallings got into it in the locker room, which ultimately led to Stallings retiring. That win also propelled us into some really good years in 97-2000. Oh yeah, and a skydiver bit it on the 30 yardline before the game too.

Mine is the A. Johnson pick six because outside of the Arkansas game to essentially win the west that is the most berserk I can remember our stadium.

And yeah, I thought that skydiver was deader than fried chicken when he hit the ground. I was a little distraught actually. Couldn't believe the paper said he only had a broken leg the next day.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 09:26 PM
What was #10?

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/12/top-10-moments-dws-history-10-nickoe-blasts-washaun-ealey/

Nickoe's hit and fumble recovery against Jawja in 2010

Schultzy
06-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Had forgotten about that hit and fumble recovery. So that's three games Nickoe pretty much stole.

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2014, 09:40 PM

You got 6 of the 8. Would be 7 but I changed the rules by moving the Florida game into the next set of years (1986-2000).

PassInterference
06-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Nobody remembers the '99 Egg Bowl sucked ass until the Cirmones play. We played like shit all game long and it was frustrating to watch. Until the last minute or whatever it was.

'99 was a great moment in a really shitty game.

I'd put the Texas game up there. Instead of getting our ass beat at home like Ole Miss did, we had a dog fight with a ranked Texas team and came out with a win. It put the Sherrill era on the map in his first year.

drunkernhelldawg
06-14-2014, 01:19 AM
Nobody remembers the '99 Egg Bowl sucked ass until the Cirmones play. We played like shit all game long and it was frustrating to watch. Until the last minute or whatever it was.

I'd put the Texas game up there. Instead of getting our ass beat at home like Ole Miss did, we had a dog fight with a ranked Texas team and came out with a win. It put the Sherrill era on the map in his first year.

Agree on both, and that Texas game was especially good and a big game. Statement game.

The Croom Diaries
06-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Here's #8, Boobie's run

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/14/top-10-moments-dws-history-8-boobie-runs-houston/

RiverCityDawg
06-14-2014, 07:16 AM

I do… I was pissed. I was done with the game when it was 20-6 and just watching rain gather in my poncho, mad as hell until the Donald Lee TD. My own emotional swing in that game is one of the most memorable aspects for me.

The Croom Diaries
06-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Number 7: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/14/top-10-moments-dws-history-8-norwoods-td-vs-florida-04/

BeastMan
06-14-2014, 02:25 PM
A very, very close #2, and certainly worthy of #1, is the beatdown of Florida. Dicenzo & Dontae ran wild. 3rd and 57. But perhaps my favorite is the legend that Willie Blade tells the FL C prior to the first snap: "My name's Willie Blade. Don't nobody block Willie Blade." Then Blade proceeds to live in the FL backfield all afternoon.

[cough cough cough]

I was at that game too and it was epic. I might or might not have bought that domain name...

Barking 13
06-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Can we add the most infamous memories? I'd like to add the entire Felker era.... when he started picking grass in the first quarter, it was time to head to the house... 3rd and 11 and he sends Hank Phillips over the top for a half yard, way too many times to count...

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
[cough cough cough]

I was at that game too and it was epic. I might or might not have bought that domain name...

Haha. I'm kinda ashamed to admit this, but it took me a couple of visits to your blog before I caught the reference.

aerodawg
06-14-2014, 04:42 PM

I feel a little depressed that 3 out of the top 4, and apparently 4 out of 10 of the best moments since 2000 came in losses. I mean 2 of them were emotionally stimulating i guess. Just sad that those games had equally disappointing moments as well, obviously.

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 04:50 PM

The 1999 Egg Bowl was a weird game. Ole Miss had the ball almost the entire first quarter. And as the game went on, we slowly asserted ourselves and began to dominate until the final creschendo.

PassInterference
06-14-2014, 05:28 PM
We dominated nothing in 99.

Madkin took us on a cardiac dawg drive to score with Sirmones.

Then we went cardiac all over Ole Miss's Hail Mary.

Another forgotten fact - Ole Miss was one broken tackle away from a walk-off kickoff return.

Loved the swagger the '99 team had. I've never seen a team with more 4th quarter confidence regardless of the score.

The Croom Diaries
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Number 6: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/14/top-10-moments-dws-history-6-banks-strip-vs-tenn/

Todd4State
06-14-2014, 05:43 PM
We dominated nothing in 99.

Madkin took us on a cardiac dawg drive to score with Sirmones.

Then we went cardiac all over Ole Miss's Hail Mary.

Another forgotten fact - Ole Miss was one broken tackle away from a walk-off kickoff return.

Loved the swagger the '99 team had. I've never seen a team with more 4th quarter confidence regardless of the score.

Cutcliffe said that the reason he threw the Hail Mary was because they had nothing left.

drunkernhelldawg
06-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Can we add the most infamous memories? I'd like to add the entire Felker era.... when he started picking grass in the first quarter, it was time to head to the house... 3rd and 11 and he sends Hank Phillips over the top for a half yard, way too many times to count...

But there was that great Tennessee game, Don Smith down the sideline for a seventy-something yard touchdown.

drunkernhelldawg
06-14-2014, 11:54 PM
"and that's what great players do."

Great clip and story

The Croom Diaries
06-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Number 5: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/15/top-10-moments-dws-history-5-pagues-egg-bowl-punt-return/

Topbulldawg
06-15-2014, 08:09 AM
It's kind of funny, the one #1 on my list hasn't even been mentioned yet!

The Croom Diaries
06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Number 4: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/15/top-10-moments-dws-history-4-banks-pick-6-vs-tebow/

BulldogBear
06-15-2014, 01:17 PM

I remember watching the Texas game at my uncle's house. It was one of the best times I've ever had watching a game on the tube with family!

PassInterference
06-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Number 4: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/15/top-10-moments-dws-history-4-banks-pick-6-vs-tebow/

No doubt. The crowd was loud during that play, obviously. And kept yelling through the remaining half minute of the first half. And kept yelling through most of halftime.

The Croom Diaries
06-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Number 3: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/16/top-10-moments-dws-history-3-prescott-td-4th-2/

The Croom Diaries
06-17-2014, 08:18 AM
To conclude the thread, here's number 2: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/16/top-10-moments-dws-history-2-*******-speech-09-egg-bowl/

And number 1: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/17/top-10-moments-dws-history-1-anthony-johnson-pick-6-vs-bama/

I'll do top 10 moments from 1986-2000 starting Wednesday morning.

PassInterference
06-17-2014, 08:27 AM
#2 link is broken.

I agree with #1. That is the wildest and loudest I have ever seen DWS. Everything that could be thrown in the air was being thrown in the air.

The Croom Diaries
06-17-2014, 09:35 AM
#2 link is broken.

I agree with #1. That is the wildest and loudest I have ever seen DWS. Everything that could be thrown in the air was being thrown in the air.

I don't know if that has to do with Mullen (apostrophe) s in the title or not, but it was the speech Mullen gave after the 2009 Egg Bowl - essentially that entire game and the moment that culminates afterwards.