PDA

View Full Version : What Has to be Better This Year on Offense (long)

codeDawg
06-13-2014, 09:52 AM
We all know that we were rebuilding last year, and at the end of the year with Dak at the helm we looked great, but we also know we came up short a lot. I wanted to take a an objective look at where we need to improve statistically on offense to be a real contending team this year.

1. Offensive TD / Defensive Allowed TD: We were a pretty good defensive team last year allowing only 24.3 points per game. That was good enough to be ranked #32. Unfortunately, we only scored 25.8 points per game coming in at #78 nationally. That has to improve. In comparison, UM was allowed only 24.6, but scored 29.9 on offense. A total of 4.1 points more than us was only good enough for #50 nationally.

2. Field Goal Percentage: It's easy enough to say score more points, but how? The first obvious place is making field goal attempts. I won't belabor the point, but we kicked at a 45% clip last season. Good enough for #120 nationally. If we could just add one field goal per game, we can get that number up to to 27.3. Hopefully the shift in coaching responsibilities and the walk on kicker can accomplish this.

3. Yards Per Rush: We should drastically improve this number this year by moving to JRob as the starter. While we put up a pretty decent 4.6 YPC (#36), Perkins had the majority of those and only averaged 4 yards. JRob in contrast had 5.9. Expect that to decrease a little with more first down carries, but we should do even better here. I think we should go from 182.7 (#44) to over 200 yards per game which we can do by running the same number of carries but adding .5 yard of average gain.

4. Everything Passing: We were so very pedestrian last year in the passing game with all stats ranked in the 40-60 range. There are lots of reasons for that including multiple QB's, inexperience at QB and at WR, and WR's just dropping the ball.

5. Red Zone Scoring: We were awful in the red zone last year. With a 76.6% success rate good enough for #100 in the nation. A lot of that has to do with the above field goal percentage, but there were also problems in the power run game and with inexperienced receivers in the end zone. This is a salvageable situation for us. Add a FG kicker, a RB that falls forward, and some long WR's with experience, and I think we can get it done.

6. 3rd Down Conversions: Maybe this should be higher, because I think this stat is the most telling of a great team. A team that gets 3rd down conversions are teams that can impose their will and keep their defense on the sideline. We were terrible early in the year, but improved later in the season to finish up at 39.26% (#69). Again JRob, Dak, and tall receivers should make the biggest difference here.

Looking at these areas I think we have the pieces in place we need to get over the hump. It all starts with JRob providing a boost in the running game. If he is able to do that to open up the pass, Dak will be able to do what he needs to do to get the ball to a much more experienced WR crew. We finally have the size we want there, and Lewis is Lewis. There is no reason to be anything but optimistic about this coming year's offense.

CadaverDawg
06-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Great stuff, code.

I didn't realize The Beav's offense only scored 4 more per game than us. #OffensiveGenius

BulldogDX55
06-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Excellent analysis and I agree with you on all points. Thanks.

Great stuff, code.

I didn't realize The Beav's offense only scored 4 more per game than us. #OffensiveGenius

I thought that playing basketball on grass would result in similar scores?

thf24
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM

When he said that he meant girls basketball on grass. That's his area of expertise after all.

Bubb Rubb
06-13-2014, 12:24 PM
I think pace has to be better, and our formations need to make sense. I think those things will happen, but they sure need to. We need a fullback/blocking TE in the backfield to help get the running game going.

Maroons
06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Improved RZ scoring is a must. We've shown a consistent ability to move the ball in the middle of the field under Mullen, but we need to increase our TD rate inside the 30 yard line if we want to have a great year.

I'll also add that I'd like to see more explosive plays. The threat of a homerun opens up so many options.

smootness
06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Improved RZ scoring is a must. We've shown a consistent ability to move the ball in the middle of the field under Mullen, but we need to increase our TD rate inside the 30 yard line if we want to have a great year.

I'll also add that I'd like to see more explosive plays. The threat of a homerun opens up so many options.

I agree, but I think our personnel will automatically make that better. We had Tyler Russell and LaDarius Perkins, that is destined to stall as the defense gets packed in tighter. Less space for Perkins to run in, less space for WRs to get open.

You have to have a power running game when you get into the redzone, and good luck stopping Dak and Robinson/Griffin/Shumpert.

drunkernhelldawg
06-13-2014, 01:58 PM
We need to think ahead a little better. If we're kicking a FG, send the FG team out there without calling timeout. Pace is important. Line up and run the play.

Bothrops
06-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Big plays downfield with post routes and fly routes. Improved perimeter blocking is also in need.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
We need to think ahead a little better. If we're kicking a FG, send the FG team out there without calling timeout. Pace is important. Line up and run the play.

YEsssssss. I admit that clock management is my worst pet peeve. It even irritates me a little on principal when another team does it though I'm glad to benefit from it. There are a few situations when I really truly cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are not 11 players rolling off the ground and running right at the nearest ref doing the timeout "T." And to add to that I don't understand why those situations in which we will do that are not drilled into players AND coach's minds in AUGUST.

archdog
06-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Excellent analysis and I agree with you on all points. Thanks.

He was playing with a very shitty offense and a shitty qb. So yeah, I will give him props.

sleepy dawg
06-15-2014, 04:50 PM
These are things I think need to improve and are still a bit of a concern to me:

The most obvious thing is FG%... Even if that means we kick less and go for it more in longer situations, we have to improve accuracy. Anything inside 35 yards needs to be near automatic. It is such a missed opportunity to miss a short FG. To miss a FG on the 22 yard line when it's 4th and 3 is just absolutely devastating in so many ways.

Red Zone scoring must improve. We should definitely have better players, but have we ever had high red zone scoring since Mullen has been here? Execution and play calling have been a consistent issue within the 20 for sure.

The passing game, although much improved under Mullen, must take a big leap forward. I'm not sure it will though. I think for Mullen's offense to be really successful, he has to have a high caliber player and the right fit. I think we have that finally, but it has yet to be seen. We need to see Dak making good reads, and our receivers catching balls that touch their hands. I haven't seen Dak not being able to make reads, but I have with past QBs a lot... and our receivers have been dropping a high percentage of balls for a while.

To me, if these things are taken care of, we will be a very good team next year.