PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Dawg61
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Brazil got some home cooking today on two calls. First one was a total BS foul called in the box resulting in maybe my biggest beef with soccer, the free penalty shot on goal which almost always gets converted it seems, and it did to give Brazil a tying goal and then Croatia has a goal get called off on another BS foul called on Croatia for fouling the goalie. Brazil goalie initiated all the contact. Pretty shaky start for the home country. 3-1 win for Brazil should of been a 2-2 tie.

TheRef
06-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Brazil got some home cooking today on two calls. First one was a total BS foul called in the box resulting in maybe my biggest beef with soccer, the free penalty shot on goal which almost always gets converted it seems, and it did to give Brazil a tying goal and then Croatia has a goal get called off on another BS foul called on Croatia for fouling the goalie. Brazil goalie initiated all the contact. Pretty shaky start for the home country. 3-1 win for Brazil should of been a 2-2 tie.

AT LEAST a 2-2 tie. That PK was huge for Brazil's confidence. But we can't do anything about it now. I will give FIFA credit for one thing, if you mess up a bunch of calls badly, you won't be reffing any more games in the WC. So I wouldn't expect to see that Japanese referee on the field for the rest of the tournament.

In other news, the US will have the largest amount of traveling for our games in Group Stage.

Dawg61
06-12-2014, 08:44 PM
AT LEAST a 2-2 tie. That PK was huge for Brazil's confidence. But we can't do anything about it now. I will give FIFA credit for one thing, if you mess up a bunch of calls badly, you won't be reffing any more games in the WC. So I wouldn't expect to see that Japanese referee on the field for the rest of the tournament.

In other news, the US will have the largest amount of traveling for our games in Group Stage.

The penalty shot in soccer is too much of a punishment imo. It's almost always a goal. Scores are so tough to come by that it puts too much influence of the game in the refs hands. Soccer needs to extend the penalty shot out ten or more feet. It is too easy for professional players to convert at its current distance. I also hate the removal of a player for the rest of a match after two yellows or a red card but that's for a different day.

TheRef
06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
The penalty shot in soccer is too much of a punishment imo. It's almost always a goal. Scores are so tough to come by that it puts too much influence of the game in the refs hands. Soccer needs to extend the penalty shot out ten or more feet. It is too easy for professional players to convert at its current distance. I also hate the removal of a player for the rest of a match after two yellows or a red card but that's for a different day.

I can understand the red card though. It's HARD to get a straight-red.

smootness
06-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm ok with both the penalty shot and the red card. The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.

And the red card is perfectly fine, so long as the match is officiated well. There are definitely certain fouls that deserve to have someone sent off. Again, if there is no threat of a red card, then there's a lack of incentive not to take someone out from behind who has a clear look at goal if you let him go.

Dawg61
06-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm ok with both the penalty shot and the red card. The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.

And the red card is perfectly fine, so long as the match is officiated well. There are definitely certain fouls that deserve to have someone sent off. Again, if there is no threat of a red card, then there's a lack of incentive not to take someone out from behind who has a clear look at goal if you let him go.

I understand why they have the rules in place but at least half the time I see a penalty shot called it is the offensive player flopping and the ref rewarding them with the foul call. What it results in is constant flopping within the box and when favorite teams at home are struggling I've seen the ref rewarding them with the call one too many times. Today was just another example in a long list. Brazil should be embarrassed to have to win like that.

smootness
06-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I get your point, we're in agreement on the diving. The solution to that is simply to have better officials, it isn't to change the rules. If an official is good and can hold his whistle if there isn't a foul and be free to give cards for obvious diving, the problem would be fixed to some degree.

I disagree on the idea that Brazil should be embarrassed. They definitely dominated long stretches of that match and overall deserved the win.

TheRef
06-12-2014, 09:02 PM
I get your point, we're in agreement on the diving. The solution to that is simply to have better officials, it isn't to change the rules. If an official is good and can hold his whistle if there isn't a foul and be free to give cards for obvious diving, the problem would be fixed to some degree.

I disagree on the idea that Brazil should be embarrassed. They definitely dominated long stretches of that match and overall deserved the win.

And remember, the only goal that was credited to Croatia was an own-goal by Brazil.

Dawg61
06-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Ok embarrassed is too strong but nervous for sure. They didn't look so hot in the first half.

smootness
06-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah, they definitely didn't look like Brazil from the Confederation's Cup, and I thought Croatia looked great at times, better than I expected.

Brazil will have to play better than that going forward, but I expect them to. They're too talented, and with that crowd behind them, I think they're going to be borderline unbeatable by the knockout rounds.

Dawghouse
06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
It's just like pass interference in the end zone getting 1st and goal at the 1. 90+% of the time it gets converted into a TD. In most cases it would have been a TD without the interference so it's fair. In most cases (when the call is a good call) a penalty in the box is to save a sure score so they deserve an almost guaranteed penalty kick.

PS - flopping is unbearable and they should pull more yellow cards for that crap. It would put an end to it quickly.

dickiedawg
06-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I think "at least half" is a dramatic misrepresentation of penalties awarded being flops. Now, they could dramatically improve officiating by adding more officials. As it is now, one ref has to officiate the game while what amounts to running a half-marathon.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Day 2 (6/13/2014):

Matchups

Mexico v. Cameroon 11:00 AM CDT ESPN2

Spain v. Netherlands 2:00 PM CDT ESPN

Chile v. Australia 5:00 PM CDT ESPN2

All games can be viewed on ESPN3.

sandwolf
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
flopping is unbearable and they should pull more yellow cards for that crap. It would put an end to it quickly.

I agree. I really enjoy soccer, but all of the dramatic flopping and pretending to be injured really takes away from the game.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 11:44 AM
There is ZERO consistency between officiating crews in these first two matches. What was a yellow yesterday, isn't a yellow today. But one thing that is in common? Blown calls costing goals. Already one bad offside call to take a away a goal from El Tri (Mexico).

smootness
06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
I think Chile is going to make a strong run in the tournament. I think they'll get out of that group over Netherlands, but they're going to need to win it to feel good about going further than that. Because the 2nd place team in that group will face Brazil in the round of 16.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Mexico 0-0 Cameroon @ HT

Rain shows no signs of letting up. 5+ straight hours of rain on the field and the pitch seems to be holding up nicely. One of the few positives of the match.

Asshat in the stands has a whistle and is confusing the players on the pitch, I hope he gets taken out for sure.

thf24
06-13-2014, 12:01 PM
The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.

Great point. Also, in my limited viewing over the years, it seems like refs usually exercise restraint in awarding them. It seem to me that they could probably call a lot more than they do within the rules.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Mexico wins 1-0 (Peralta 60')

Group A standings:

Brazil 3 pts
Mexico 3 pts
Cameroon 0 pts
Croatia 0 pts

DawgHouseUnited
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Mexico wins 1-0 (Peralta 60')

Group A standings:

Brazil 3 pts
Mexico 3 pts
Cameroon 0 pts
Croatia 0 pts

Ref,

Thanks for the updates!

TheRef
06-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Here we go. 25 minutes from kickoff between Spain (La Furia) and Netherlands (Oranje). Kickoff will be at 2:00 PM CDT and can be watched on ESPN and ESPN3. This is the first game in Group B.

Dawg61
06-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Mexico should of won 3-0, 2 horrible offsides calls negated two goals

TheRef
06-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Mexico should of won 3-0, 2 horrible offsides calls negated two goals

Second one was valid...first one was BS.

smootness
06-13-2014, 01:51 PM
The Croatia-Mexico match should be a good one, and it will probably decide who makes it out of that group. I like Croatia to win it, but Mexico almost automatically makes it out of groups.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 01:52 PM
The Croatia-Mexico match should be a good one, and it will probably decide who makes it out of that group. I like Croatia to win it, but Mexico almost automatically makes it out of groups.

Mexico plays Brazil next on the 17th.

smootness
06-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Mexico plays Brazil next on the 17th.

I know, I just don't give them much of a chance there. And Croatia should be able to beat Cameroon. I think they'll both have 3 points going into their match against each other.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 01:57 PM
I know, I just don't give them much of a chance there. And Croatia should be able to beat Cameroon. I think they'll both have 3 points going into their match against each other.

True. Mexico is 0-3 against Brazil in World Cup play.

Dawg61
06-13-2014, 01:59 PM
True. Mexico is 0-3 against Brazil in World Cup play.

Last time Brazil lost a competitive match in Brazil was 1975

TheRef
06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Last time Brazil lost a competitive match in Brazil was 1975

Peru in Final...

Dawg61
06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Go Dutch!!

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Van Persie with a GREAT goal.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 02:51 PM
1-1 HT after a BEAUTIFUL layout header by Van Persie at the 44' mark. I mean BEAUTIFUL!!!!

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
What a weird, amazing, beautiful goal all at once by van Persie

TheRef
06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Here's a GIF of the Van Persie goal

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/856755342.gif?1402688562

smootness
06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Good grief. I hate the Dutch, but you have to love that.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
He is one of the best one touch finishers in the game right now. He's done it with his head and feet volleying a cross so often

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:04 PM
And here we go....the rain is falling now in Salvador, Brazil. Pretty heavy rain and I wouldn't doubt that it continues throughout the match. Another test of the pitch.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I understand why Spain is being forced to wear white (must have a light and dark color, they have a dark red and a black), but I'm not sure why holland isn't being allowed to wear their orange. Plus, I really like their orange!!

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I understand why Spain is being forced to wear white (must have a light and dark color, they have a dark red and a black), but I'm not sure why holland isn't being allowed to wear their orange. Plus, I really like their orange!!

Last time they played Spain, they lost wearing the Orange. Superstitions are strong everywhere.

Note of Van Persie header: Officially 17 yards and now holds the record as the furthest header goal in the World Cup since 1970 (earliest time of reliable recorded distance)

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:07 PM

I have no idea whether they were forced to or just made the decision, but I think the orange is designated as their 'light' jersey. So I don't know that they weren't allowed so much as they were just designated dark so they wore their dark jersey.

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Note of Van Persie header: Officially 17 yards and now holds the record as the furthest header goal in the World Cup since 1970 (earliest time of reliable recorded distance)

Wow. Just having the balls to try that instead of letting it come down and attempting to take the keeper one-on-one is impressive in and of itself.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
No. They were forced. I've read it a few places and this announcer has said it. Plus, I believe they are technically the home team, so they would be allowed to choose it and force Spain to be dark. Both have been forced, per the announcer.

I think it's fifa swinging their dick. Spain refused to make a light jersey and like two weeks ago fifa made them wear white.

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Robben!!!

DudyDawg
Great touch. Terrible defending by Pique. Nothing casillas can do. 2-1 Ned

TheRef
Robben!!!!!!!

2-1 Netherlands after Robben's second goal at 52'

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:13 PM
VAN PERSIE AGAIN!!!!!!!

2-1 Netherlands after Van Persie's second goal at 52'

Was robben

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Was robben

Fixed it...silly me

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Was robben

Straight out of Rivendell

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Was robben

Can't stand that guy.

Spain desperately needs to salvage a point out of this. Chile is extremely dangerous, and this would put them behing the 8-ball in a serious way.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Diego Costa has just been a body. Other than the penalty, he's barely made an impact. I don't think he's healthy. Surprised another striker hasn't come in yet. They need a big target man who will impact the game

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:18 PM
van Persie nearly sealed it. Again, one of the best volley men in the game. That was with his weak foot too

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Can't stand that guy.

Spain desperately needs to salvage a point out of this. Chile is extremely dangerous, and this would put them behing the 8-ball in a serious way.
I like robben about 70% of the time. I love to see him play when he is on his feet. His diving makes him hard to like though, I know what you mean

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Diego Costa has just been a body. Other than the penalty, he's barely made an impact. I don't think he's healthy. Surprised another striker hasn't come in yet. They need a big target man who will impact the game

Or just take him out and go back to the false nine they destroyed the world with for years.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
And just as I say that, Torres will replace costa. Surprised that Alonso coming out for Pedro. Would have probably pulled out busquets for him. Hate busquets for his flops and to me, lack of skill. Think he's very overrated

TheRef
Torres in for Diego Costa.

smootness
I like robben about 70% of the time. I love to see him play when he is on his feet. His diving makes him hard to like though, I know what you mean

He's a fantastic player, I just don't like the way he plays. It's not just the diving, he just seems like an absolute turd. The whole Dutch team plays dirty for the most part. I still remember the flying scissor-kick in the 2010 Final. Robben, de Jong, Van Bommel...that just seems to be the way they always play.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:23 PM
ANOTHER goal for the Netherlands. First international goal for de Vrij

3-1 Netherlands 64'

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Casillas slightly mis played that, argument for a foul on van Persie. Biggest problem for Spain was the three blue shirts near the line and one white one. Poor defending

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Van Persie with a Yellow....

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Offsides on Spain on what would have been a nice goal....obvious. Stays 3-1 67'

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:26 PM
He's a fantastic player, I just don't like the way he plays. It's not just the diving, he just seems like an absolute turd. The whole Dutch team plays dirty for the most part. I still remember the flying scissor-kick in the 2010 Final. Robben, de Jong, Van Bommel...that just seems to be the way they always play.

I wouldn't out him in that category. He's a skilled guy and never been called dirty to be honest. Those two play like bulls in a china shop tho. de Jong and Van Bommel play with the philosophy of either the man or the ball will get by them, but not both. That 2010 final was dirty. They knew they were severely out skilled and had to try to beat up the Spanish. Almost worked

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
How do these Spanish and Dutch players all communicate with an Italian referee?

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
How do these Spanish and Dutch players all communicate with an Italian referee?

I believe everyone has to communicate in English on the pitch. Official language of FIFA if I remember right.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:28 PM
The way Spain play is such a double edged sword. The possession breaks down so many teams but can get them into trouble. What makes them great also makes them vulnerable

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Spanish keeper with a yellow for confronting the official a little bit too much....

Dawg61
06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Ahhhh this is crazy, US Open, World Cup, Omaha, NBA Champ and MLB baseball all going on today through the weekend and beyond.

Pioneer Dawg
06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
4-1!!!! The rout is on!

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I believe everyone has to communicate in English on the pitch. Official language of FIFA if I remember right.
English, Spanish, French, and German are the official languages. They try to assign referees that are multi lingual and speak both teams language. Like the military, you can get paid more if you speak more languages

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Wow....what an embarrassing goal to give up for the Spanish. Van Persie with possibly the easiest goal of the World Cup. 4-1 Netherlands at 72'

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Casillas looks worn out from a long season and short break after the CL final. Really out of character for him to lose focus. One of the best of all time. He doesn't have it today

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:32 PM
The way Spain play is such a double edged sword. The possession breaks down so many teams but can get them into trouble. What makes them great also makes them vulnerable

I don't think they were vulnerable when they were at their peak. But Xavi isn't quite what he used to be, and most of their guys are at the top of a downward descent. They're just not quite as good as they were; how long have these guys been playing together? Wasn't it Euro 2008 when they broke through? So 6+ years? You just can't stay in peak form that long.

What is scary for the rest of the world is that Brazil are favorites now, and they're going to be a much better team in 2018. Neymar, Oscar, Bernard, Lucas Moura...all their attacking talent is going to be in the middle of their prime, all 25-26 years old.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:33 PM
One cool thing about soccer is the fans. One of the few sports where fans arguably get louder in a blowout. Turned from Dutch fans cheering for a win to Dutch fans just having a giant party. It's really cool

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:34 PM
One cool thing about soccer is the fans. One of the few sports where fans arguably get louder in a blowout. Turned from Dutch fans cheering for a win to Dutch fans just having a giant party. It's really cool

I'm curious of how many American fans came down to Brazil for the World Cup.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't think they were vulnerable when they were at their peak. But Xavi isn't quite what he used to be, and most of their guys are at the top of a downward descent. They're just not quite as good as they were; how long have these guys been playing together? Wasn't it Euro 2008 when they broke through? So 6+ years? You just can't stay in peak form that long.

What is scary for the rest of the world is that Brazil are favorites now, and they're going to be a much better team in 2018. Neymar, Oscar, Bernard, Lucas Moura...all their attacking talent is going to be in the middle of their prime, all 25-26 years old.

Brazil and Belgium will be scary in the near future. And a lot of these spaniards have been playing since and even in 2004. Surprised they didn't go for a bit more youth on the bench

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Second time the Spanish have ever given up 4 goals in a World Cup match. Last time? 1950 vs. Brazil (6-1 loss)

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm curious of how many American fans came down to Brazil for the World Cup.
I'm sure quite a bit. I think it would be the epitome of fandom to go to a WC. Its a month long Super Bowl. Man that would be so cool

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Van Persie is subbed out. 2 goals in 78'.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't know if any bars do this, but if I owned one in a big city, i would sell the favorite beer of each country during their games as a promo. That would be cool IMO

Pioneer Dawg
Robben is awesome

TheRef
5-1 Netherlands!!! Robben with his second!!!!! 79'. This is EMBARRASSING!!!!

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Goal, Arjen Robben. FIVE to one Dutch. Could this be a passing of the world football torch from Spanish to whoever wins this season? Either way, would hate to play Spain next.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Listen to these fans….

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would likely cause a Spain v Brazil second round game if Spain goes through. Correct?

smootness
Goal, Arjen Robben. FIVE to one Dutch. Could this be a passing of the world football torch from Spanish to whoever wins this season? Either way, would hate to play Spain next.

I honestly didn't view Spain as serious contenders this year coming in. I figured they'd definitely get out of the group, which now looks like a challenge, but I thought the quarters or possibly semis was absolutely as far as they could go. Guys like Xavi weren't overly athletic at their peak, and you just can't consistently beat world-class opponents at this level without some youth and athleticism to give you a spark.

I don't expect the Dutch to compete, either, though this win is certainly impressive. I think it's going to come down to Brazil, Germany, and Argentina.

smootness
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would likely cause a Spain v Brazil second round game if Spain goes through. Correct?

Yes, whoever finishes 2nd in that group. I think that might be Chile, though.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:44 PM

#1 A vs. #2 B
#1 B vs. #2 A

So if Spain is the #2 from B and Brazil is the #1 from A, then yes.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I agree with most of that, except argentina. Weak defense, Messi hasn't shown up big enough internationally yet. They have the potential, certainly, mainly bc of the five names in attach, but I don't expect much more than a quarter final from them.

Just look at Spain as an example. All the attacking ability in the world, but terrible defense today and they are being hammered. Problem is, this defense is proven as being a good one (barring today), and Argentina's is proven the exact opposite.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:48 PM
#1 A vs. #2 B
#1 B vs. #2 A

So if Spain is the #2 from B and Brazil is the #1 from A, then yes.

And I don't see anyone knocking off Brazil in that group. Croatia is, to me, the second best, and they just got beaten pretty handily.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Yes, whoever finishes 2nd in that group. I think that might be Chile, though.

Would surprise me. Would pick them to go through most groups, though. Just don't think they match spain well. But very possible now, especially with the goal difference Spain needs to make up.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
5-1 Netherlands FT

Group B Standings:

Netherlands 3 pts
Spain 0 pts
Chile and Australia yet to play.

smootness
06-13-2014, 03:53 PM
I agree with most of that, except argentina. Weak defense, Messi hasn't shown up big enough internationally yet. They have the potential, certainly, mainly bc of the five names in attach, but I don't expect much more than a quarter final from them.

Just look at Spain as an example. All the attacking ability in the world, but terrible defense today and they are being hammered. Problem is, this defense is proven as being a good one (barring today), and Argentina's is proven the exact opposite.

Argentina's defense is definitely weak, but I think their attack is so strong it won't matter against most of the teams they'll face.

And I think Messi's problem has mostly been coach and scheme. Maradona was a complete joke as a coach and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Their current coach has built the team around Messi in a way that fits him, and he tore it up in qualifying. I expect him to compete with Neymar (and now maybe Van Persie and Robben) for the golden boot.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Argentina's defense is definitely weak, but I think their attack is so strong it won't matter against most of the teams they'll face.

And I think Messi's problem has mostly been coach and scheme. Maradona was a complete joke as a coach and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Their current coach has built the team around Messi in a way that fits him, and he tore it up in qualifying. I expect him to compete with Neymar (and now maybe Van Persie and Robben) for the golden boot.

Well, as a Madrid fan, I hope that doesn't happen haha. But you're right, that offense will cruise through the group. The big test will be when they see a team with a staunch defense, can they posses and defend enough to win? I don't really think so, at least I haven't been convinced yet. Weak defense, average midfield, great attack. Most of their best guys (Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi) are final third players, and I think that will make it hard for them to win a WC. Di Maria is the only real creator, so I just don't see them having enough possession to allow that offense to outscore a really good team.

TheRef
06-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Australia and Chile are coming onto the pitch now. Final match of the day and the second match of Group B will begin in approximately 6 minutes.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Australia and Chile are coming onto the pitch now. Final match of the day and the second match of Group B will begin in approximately 6 minutes.

Very excited to see Chile. They have some big names, some good history, but mostly I'm excited bc they kinda play a "dumb" style. Don't care who they are playing, they are going to attack and see what happens. They should be involved in some very dramatic games IMO

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Ref, do you know where this game is? Just turned to it, stadium looks really English in style

TheRef
06-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Ref, do you know where this game is? Just turned to it, stadium looks really English in style

ARENA PANTANAL, CUIAB?, BRAZIL

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks. It's loud and exciting. Seems like a good number of Aussies there. This is going to be an underrated game. Not huge names but it'll be very up tempo. If you're trying to flip a non soccer fan, show them chile

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Goal alexis sanchez. 1-0 chile after 11'

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I think I said something about chile being exciting?? Wow. 2-0 chile another goal two minutes later

TheRef
06-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Australia with a header response! 2-1 Chile at the 34' mark.

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Australia with a header response! 2-1 Chile at the 34' mark.

Fun game so far

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 05:39 PM
If someone calculated the number of fans in attendance compared to their chances, I would be willing to bet the Aussies have the best ratio. No expectations, but their fans are loud and having a blast. Those are the kind of fans that all the neutrals cheer with. Sounds like more Aussies than Chileans there bc of it. Those folks know how to have fun

TheRef
06-13-2014, 05:47 PM
HT: 2-1 Chile

DudyDawg
06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
FT: Chile 3 Australia 1. Chile and Spain play on June 18 in the Maracana. Should be a good game and one that decides the group

TheRef
06-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Group B Standings:

Netherlands 3 pts
Chile 3 pts
Australia 0 pts
Spain 0 pts

TheRef
06-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Day 3: 6/14/2014

Group C

Columbia v. Greece 11:00 AM CDT ABC

Ivory Coast v. Japan 8:00 PM CDT ESPN

Group D

Uruguay v. Costa Rica 2:00 PM CDT ABC

England v. Italy 5:00 PM CDT ESPN

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
FT: Colombia 3 Greece 0

mstate68
06-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Greece has been out scored 17-2 in their World Cup history.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Greece has been out scored 17-2 in their World Cup history.

Yet they somehow WON the Euros a decade ago.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Group C Current Standings:

Columbia 3 pts
Greece 0 pts
Ivory Coast and Japan yet to play

TheRef
06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
One thing: I'm proud of the small following that we have of the World Cup on this board. Who else is ready to watch the USMNT tomorrow?

mstate68
06-14-2014, 01:12 PM
One thing: I'm proud of the small following that we have of the World Cup on this board. Who else is ready to watch the USMNT tomorrow?

I'm excited. I just want us to finally beat Ghana. I think if we pull it off we'll have a chance to advance. A small chance, but a chance.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm excited. I just want us to finally beat Ghana. I think if we pull it off we'll have a chance to advance. A small chance, but a chance.

I agree. By the way, what time do we start tomorrow and what channel?

TheRef
06-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree. By the way, what time do we start tomorrow and what channel?

Misread the schedule. We play Monday at 5:00 PM CDT on ESPN.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Frankly, we need Germany to win every game big. They will get out of this group, and if they tie Ghana or Portugal we may not. We need them to get zero points from Germany and have a bad goal difference if we want to get out

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Misread the schedule. We play Monday at 5:00 PM CDT on ESPN.

Ha, I was thinking it was Monday, but just thought I was wrong. Good deal

TheRef
06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Ha, I was thinking it was Monday, but just thought I was wrong. Good deal

I promise you I looked at the schedule.....oh well....I'm ready for this match between Uruguay and Costa Rica. Uruguay's best player is out with a lingering injury for this match.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Costa Rica tackles Uruaguyan in the box, penalty

Uruguay buries it!!!

1-0 Uruguay

TheRef
06-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Yupp...he legitimately tackled him. Good wrap-up though. Good technique for the behind tackle. 23'

EdDawg
06-14-2014, 02:33 PM
One thing I wish they would so for these broadcast is put some kind of seed with each team that way the non-soccer enthusiasts can quickly figure out who the underdog is.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 02:49 PM
HT 1-0 Uruguay

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Excellent buildup leads to a Costa Rica equalizer!!!

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:16 PM
More and more likely we see Luis Suarez with this being a game Uruguay wants badly to get 3 points

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Set piece from distance and Costa Rica heads it in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-1 Costa Rica!!!!!!!!

TheRef
06-14-2014, 03:17 PM
More and more likely we see Luis Suarez with this being a game Uruguay wants badly to get 3 points

For sure. You need WINS in this Group. England, Italy, Uruguay, and Costa Rica. First two wins will win the group.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Suarez quickly gets warm. He has the skill to get them goals quick.

Tune in because Uruguay is about to go on the ATTACK

TheRef
06-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Suarez quickly gets warm. He has the skill to get them goals quick.

Tune in because Uruguay is about to go on the ATTACK

So.....to those of you wondering how there could be drama? That's how there can be drama.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Multiple good chances but nothing for Uruguay!

Tension keeps building. No breaks.. No pauses..

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Not able to watch, Suarez in? Wouldn't be surprised either way. Kinda think if he was healthy enough to play he would've started, but maybe they sat him thinking they will win easily and just get him free rest and now realize they need him

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Multiple good chances but nothing for Uruguay!

Tension keeps building. No breaks.. No pauses..

But all those timeouts provide action!!!! Have you not seen the commercials they have these days!!!!

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:44 PM
3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRef
06-14-2014, 03:46 PM
3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.....literally one of the prettiest goals I've seen. Perfect.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Uruguayan punk gets a well deserved Red Card

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 03:55 PM
This WC has been great so far and it only gets better in an hour with England-Italy

TheRef
06-14-2014, 03:58 PM
This WC has been great so far and it only gets better in an hour with England-Italy

This will be the match of the day, for sure.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 04:35 PM
No Gigi Buffon for Italy. Sirigu is a very good keeper, but it's hard to lose a leader and captain. Could be huge

mstate68
06-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Sirigu is off to a pretty good start.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 05:07 PM
England came out guns a blazin

smootness
06-14-2014, 05:28 PM
England looks fantastic. This young talent has come out of nowhere.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Fascists take a 1-0 lead

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Sturridge responds!!!! Pride of Liverpool!!!

1-1

TheRef
And the Red Coats respond! 1-1 tie.

BulldogBear
Watching this game and a curiosity came up in my household. How is it that "England" has a team instead of the "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain?" Would that mean that Scotland or Wales could have a team and if so, why? That'd be like having a U.S. team and Texas team in the World Cup.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Recent England squads would have folded like a broke tent after going down.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Watching this game and a curiosity came up in my household. How is it that "England" has a time instead of the "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain?" Would that mean that Scotland or Wales could have a team and if so, why? That'd be like having a U.S. team and Texas team in the World Cup.

Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland have their own teams. Think more like Puerto Rico playing in the World Baseball Classic.

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland have their own teams. Think more like Puerto Rico playing in the World Baseball Classic.

I think it's a little more complicated than Texas haha.

smootness
06-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Technically England is a country, it's just not a sovereign state.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 05:57 PM
So, UK gets four teams and we get one. That's fair.

smootness
06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
So, UK gets four teams and we get one. That's fair.

Well, that's advantage us.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Balotelli header puts the fascists up 2-1

smootness
06-14-2014, 06:17 PM
I can't stand Italy. Not a huge England fan in general, but I am today.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Rooney HAS to put that in the net!

smootness
06-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Rooney HAS to put that in the net!

Yep, needed that.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Gerrard still one of the purest passers in the game

smootness
06-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Gerrard still one of the purest passers in the game

Watching an older soccer player is kind of like watching an old 3-point shooter. The ball/foot skills are usually still there, just can't keep up.

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Everyone is mis-hitting the ball here.. 4 horrible touches in the last ten mins

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 06:54 PM
England gonna England

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Well, that's advantage us.

Technically yes, like a 6A school in MHSAA as opposed to a 2A or 3A

TheRef
06-14-2014, 07:07 PM
FT 2-1 Italy

Group D Standings:

Costa Rica 3 pts
Italy 3 pts
England 0 pts
Uruguay 0 pts

DudyDawg
06-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Last twenty minutes for England was incredibly underwhelming. They have no expectations and they played like it. Didn't attack for the point. No sense of desperation

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-14-2014, 07:32 PM
I wish I could participate in the thread but every game I've watched has been on recording well after the game already happened. And I don't like knowing what happened before hand. So I've been following this thread about a day late.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I wish I could participate in the thread but every game I've watched has been on recording well after the game already happened. And I don't like knowing what happened before hand. So I've been following this thread about a day late.

It's all good, buddy. No worries.

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 07:38 PM
I thought we play Monday

TheRef
06-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I thought we play Monday

We do...I misread the schedule. My bad.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Japan's fans never fail to entertain you....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqIcjNsIEAAg3m4.jpg

TheRef
06-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Japan strikes first! 1-0 15'

Pioneer Dawg
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
How would the best club teams match up in this? I'd have to think your Barcelonas and Real Madrids would always make it to the KO round and beyond.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 08:48 PM
HT 1-0 Japan (Honda 15')

CadaverDawg
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
HT 1-0 Japan (Honda 15')

I'm not at home, who is Japan playing?

And how is Toyota doing? I kid.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm not at home, who is Japan playing?

And how is Toyota doing? I kid.

Japan is playing Cote d'Ivore (Ivory Coast).

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Didier Drogba is now in....watch out for Cote d'Ivore now....he's DANGEROUS.

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Ivory Coast with the Equalizer!!!!! 1-1 63'

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:24 PM
IVORY COAST TAKES THE LEAD!!!!!! 2-1 Ivory Coast 65'

Pioneer Dawg
Tons of back to back goals so far this WC!

2-1 Ivory Coast!!

BulldogBear
What a shift in momentum!

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
What a shift in momentum!

THIS is why I love the World Cup!

TheRef
06-14-2014, 09:54 PM
FT 2-1 Cote d'Ivore (Ivory Coast)

Group C Standings

Columbia 3 pts
Cote d'Ivore 3 pts
Japan 0 pts
Greece 0 pts

BulldogBear
06-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh c'mon, enough with the flops. It's not like the Nips are running a "hurry up" offense Coach Saban. I will say that I don't care for the time rules in soccer. I know that's just the way it is but sometimes I wish it would be more structured

Intramural All-American
06-15-2014, 02:02 AM
How would the best club teams match up in this? I'd have to think your Barcelonas and Real Madrids would always make it to the KO round and beyond.

Bayern Munich, Barcelona, and Real Madrid would all compete to win the World Cup. The only two national teams that could realistically compete with those clubs are Spain and Germany, but the real reason is chemistry. Club teams have much better chemistry than national teams because they play with each other all year rather than 4 or 5 times a year. Real Madrid (champion's league winners) have France's striker (Benzema), Portugal's winger (Ronaldo-best player in the world), Wales winger (Bale), Argentina's winger (Di Maria), Croatia's midfielder (Modric), Brazil's left back (Marcelo), France's center back (Varane), Spain's center back (Ramos), Spain's Right back (Carvajal), Spain's midfielder (Alonso), Spain's keeper (Casillas) as well as other world stars. And Barcelona and Bayern Munich have starters from countries all over the world, as well. Where national teams generally have at least one weakness, these world class clubs can fill those by throwing cash around.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Day 4: June 15, 2014

Group E

Switzerland v. Ecuador 11:00 AM CDT ABC

France v. Honduras 2:00 PM CDT ABC

Group F

Argentine v. Bosnia-Herzegovina 5:00 PM CDT ESPN

TheRef
06-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Ecuador strikes first! 1-0 Ecuador 21'

TheRef
06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
HT: 1-0 Ecuador (Valencia 21')

TheRef
06-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Brazil's Hulk left practice yesterday with a pulled hammy.....that's why you stretch so that you don't pull a hammy.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Switzerland with a response off the corner kick! 1-1 47'

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Bayern Munich, Barcelona, and Real Madrid would all compete to win the World Cup. The only two national teams that could realistically compete with those clubs are Spain and Germany, but the real reason is chemistry. Club teams have much better chemistry than national teams because they play with each other all year rather than 4 or 5 times a year. Real Madrid (champion's league winners) have France's striker (Benzema), Portugal's winger (Ronaldo-best player in the world), Wales winger (Bale), Argentina's winger (Di Maria), Croatia's midfielder (Modric), Brazil's left back (Marcelo), France's center back (Varane), Spain's center back (Ramos), Spain's Right back (Carvajal), Spain's midfielder (Alonso), Spain's keeper (Casillas) as well as other world stars. And Barcelona and Bayern Munich have starters from countries all over the world, as well. Where national teams generally have at least one weakness, these world class clubs can fill those by throwing cash around.

Was just about to say that last line. The best club is always going to be better than the best national team solely due to the ability to fill every hole in the square with money. They can pick and choose who fits best in their scheme and who they think is the best in a certain position, and that ability gives them so much more flexibility than a national team who is stuck w who they have

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:17 PM
This game has been intense. Swiss are very young and talented and the Ecuadorians play really hard. It's been pretty fun so far

TheRef
06-15-2014, 12:18 PM
This game has been intense. Swiss are very young and talented and the Ecuadorians play really hard. It's been pretty fun so far

It has been fun. A lot of shots in this game which can either mean two really good offensive schemes or two really bad defensive schemes.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
It has been fun. A lot of shots in this game which can either mean two really good offensive schemes or two really bad defensive schemes.

I've noticed a bit of both. Mainly on Ecuador. They have basically played bully ball and tried to ram it down the throat of the Swiss defense and not really messing around. And their defense has been constantly stretched and have left tons of small holes for through balls. The Swiss defense hasn't been as solid as it should be with the names they have.

I think this game will be won by someone like a Shaqiri making something out of nothing for the Swiss.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Wow. Bad call. Should be 2-1 Swiss.

mstate68
06-15-2014, 12:35 PM
The officiating has been pretty bad so far this World Cup.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:44 PM
The people who complained about soccer on other threads would probably throw a fit if the new foam stuff wasn't used on free kicks to keep the wall from moving. I like it a lot. Helps speed the game up a lot

TheRef
06-15-2014, 12:45 PM
The people who complained about soccer on other threads would probably throw a fit if the new foam stuff wasn't used on free kicks to keep the wall from moving. I like it a lot. Helps speed the game up a lot

For once, something good to come out of the MLS to the International soccer realm.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Holy cow!!!!! 2-1 Swiss in the dying moments!!!! Wow. Ecuador has it in the box and thirty seconds later it is in their own net

mstate68
THE SWISS TAKE THE LEAD!

TheRef
Switzerland takes the lead!!!! 2-1 Switzerland 90+2'

TheRef
06-15-2014, 12:52 PM
FT: 2-1 Switzerland

Group E Standings:

Switzerland 3 pts
Ecuador 0 pts
France and Honduras yet to play.

mstate68
06-15-2014, 12:54 PM
What a great game. Still no draws in this tournament

BulldogBear
06-15-2014, 01:12 PM
At work today relying on thread. Who's up next?

TheRef
06-15-2014, 01:12 PM
At work today relying on thread. Who's up next?

France v. Honduras

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I've got France in this one. Saw Honduras in person a few weeks ago. They scored two beauties, and showed the ability to score out of nothing, so I think they will be dangerous on the counter, but I don't see them out scoring the French. Too much fire power

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-15-2014, 01:38 PM
That must have been gut wrenching for the Ecuadorians. The winning goal was right there in front of them and next thing they know they lost

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:00 PM
France v Honduras about to kick off. Big matchup to me will be Espinoza for Honduras vs Paul pogba of France in the midfield. Should be another great game

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:12 PM
French just did the biggest head-scratcher of a free-kick I've seen in my whole life.

Pioneer Dawg
06-15-2014, 02:15 PM
France off the post!

They will take the lead soon.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:19 PM
France needs Matthieu valebuena on the ball as much as possible. He can create a ton of chances for the likes of benzema

Pioneer Dawg
06-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Honduran player is a little bitch. He's the only one deserving of a card.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Honduran player is a little bitch. He's the only one deserving of a card.
That's how he plays in England. He's a pest and fouls you and then makes the most if fouls on him. I don't really like him

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Referee played it perfectly tho IMO. Pogba tried to kick him, other player stepped on him and made a meal of it. Penalize them both and move on

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Referee played it perfectly tho IMO. Pogba tried to kick him, other player stepped on him and made a meal of it. Penalize them both and move on

Agreed. Good judgement by the ref and he didn't make anyone mad.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Honduran dude just blocked the cross w his nuts. Nothing worse than that in soccer. Makes me want to puke just watching it haha

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Knee injuries are not fun like that....

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
PK! And a double yellow red!

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Another good call IMO. Palacios just ran him over didn't even try to get the ball. Didn't think it was a foul in real time but it's clear on replay. If palacios wasn't bitching earlier he would still be on the field and that would be his first yellow. That's what he gets. Karma

Pioneer Dawg
06-15-2014, 02:45 PM
What a dumbass. Second dumb yellow and he's sent off.

1-0 France on a PK

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:45 PM
France hits it! 1-0 France (Benzema 44' P)

Honduras will now have to play the rest of the match with 10 men.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Goal France. Karim Benzema with a solid penalty. Two penalty goals scored my Real Madrid players. Would be interesting to see which clubs end up w the most goals

TheRef
06-15-2014, 02:47 PM
I just don't see Honduras winning with 10 men....

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I just don't see Honduras winning with 10 men....
Didn't see them winning with 11 haha

TheRef
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/51070191.jpg

TheRef
HT: 1-0 France

TheRef
06-15-2014, 03:08 PM
2-0 France....maybe.....it is a goal. Verified by technology.

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Hell of a volley either way

TheRef
06-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Hell of a volley either way

For sure. Great play by the Frenchman.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 03:32 PM
3-0 France now....

TheRef
06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
FT: 3-0 France

Group E Standings:

France 3 pts
Switzerland 3 pts
Ecuador 0 pts
Honduras 0 pts

TheRef
06-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Okay...last match of the day and the first of Group F

Lionel Messi and the Argentinians will face off against the Bosnian team at 5:00 PM CDT on ESPN. Expect a high-scoring affair from Messi as they play in possibly the best stadium in Brazil. Estadio de Maracana in Rio de Janeiro. Should be a fun match to watch.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Own goal!!!! 1-0 Argentina 2'

TheRef
06-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Bosnia-Harzegovia not laying down at all. Very good team and seem to play more of a possession type offense. Argentina can't really get anything going in the attacking-third.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 05:47 PM
HT: 1-0 Argentina

LiterallyPolice
06-15-2014, 06:20 PM
I know B&H is no slouch..... But Argentina not looking that great. They have given the ball up many teams in their defensive third.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I know B&H is no slouch..... But Argentina not looking that great. They have given the ball up many teams in their defensive third.

Argentina always has, and always will rely on Messi. They have no other real play makers. B&H at least have multiple play makers.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
And there it is. Messi with a goal. 2-0 Argentina 65'

LiterallyPolice
06-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Good lord that was awesome.

smootness
06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Wow. I think this is going to be Messi's WC. He seemed to be relieved by that. Amazing.

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Wow. I think this is going to be Messi's WC. He seemed to be relieved by that. Amazing.

He has now scored 21 times in 25 int'l games with this Coach.

LiterallyPolice
06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Lionel Messi is the Johnny Manziel of world soccer.

Hmmm..... Can we start calling him "Lenny Futbol"? Can that be a thing?

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Lionel Messi is the Johnny Manziel of world soccer.

Hmmm..... Can we start calling him "Lenny Futbol"? Can that be a thing?

How about "Messi Futbol"

DudyDawg
06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Argentina always has, and always will rely on Messi. They have no other real play makers. B&H at least have multiple play makers.
I think Angel Di Maria would disagree with you as far as playmakers go

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Bosnia with a goal in the 84' mark with a slow dribbler past the keeper. 2-1 Argentina

Charlie_Sheen420
06-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm surprised that there have been no ties yet. That's some ammo against all the soccer haters haha

TheRef
06-15-2014, 06:53 PM
FT: 2-1 Argentina

Group F Standings:

Argentina 3 pts
Bosnia-Harzegovina 0 pts
Iran and Nigeria yet to play

TheRef
06-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Day 5: June 16, 2014

Group F

Iran v. Nigeria 2:00 PM CDT ESPN

Group G

Germany v. Portugal 11:00 AM CDT ESPN

United States v. Ghana 5:00 PM CDT ESPN

I believe
I believe that
I believe that we
I believe that we will win!

smootness
06-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Man, can't wait for today's match. If we win that, the Portugal match becomes one of the biggest WC matches we've ever played.

TheRef
06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Question for the board: Anyone know of a good bar to watch the game at tonight? I want to meet up with a bunch of soccer fans watching the game. I'm pumped for tonight!

DudyDawg
06-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Starting eleven released for Germany and Portugal. Got what we expected from Portugal. No wing backs for Germany, no striker. Will have a false number nine in Mesut Ozil. Lahm holding midfield. Look for him to help cover Ronaldo in patchwork right back role

Statefan
06-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Ref, if you are in the Jackson area, the local chapter of the American Outlaws watch it at the Capitol Grill. It's a pretty good time

TheRef
06-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Ref, if you are in the Jackson area, the local chapter of the American Outlaws watch it at the Capitol Grill. It's a pretty good time

I wish I was in the Jackson area. I'm in Starkville...so I'm kinda stuck in no-man's land because of the lack of an AO chapter.

TheRef
06-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Germany v. Portugal in 25 minutes on ESPN. This is the first game of Group G.

Statefan
06-16-2014, 10:46 AM
I know some people have watched Champions League games in the past at bww. No idea about the USA game though. You'd think in a college town their would be a decent soccer following amongst students and some faculty even

TheRef
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I know some people have watched Champions League games in the past at bww. No idea about the USA game though. You'd think in a college town their would be a decent soccer following amongst students and some faculty even

Summer student population isn't as strong as during the year. But I'll try BWW tonight.