PDA

View Full Version : I need everyone to focus, so we can talk about coach Dan.

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
What are reasonable expectations for our coach this year and next???

I'm real damn excited about this coming year. I can hardly contain it... I'm also really nervous, or maybe just anxious... Not sure what that feeling is, but it's somewheres deep in my gut. Here's why...

I know we ain't played a game yet, but I think this is the best team coach has had since he arrived. I'm anxious, because it will be a major disappointment if he can't get it done this year(and maybe the next). I'm not saying it's Atlanta or bust, but an 8-4 record this year just isn't acceptable, right?

If he can't win 9+ games in years 6 or 7, is it reasonable to expect he will ever get it done, and elevate us nationally(or at least in the SEC)???? There aren't any built in excuses this year(unless our QB goes down, god forbid)

This next season is potentially program defining for Coach Mullen. With all they hype, a mediocre season or two could really destroy the momentum and fantastic fan support we currently have.

Am I wrong about this? Am I expecting too much from coach this year?

Political Hack
06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
no, this is his defining year.

codeDawg
06-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Easiest way to do it:

Must Win (7). This is where Vegas has us.
- Southern
- UAB
- South Alabama
- KY
- Arkansas
- UT Martin
- Vandy

Might Can Win (2):
- A&M (Home): Most likely win in this group.
- UM (Away): 50/50. Home team tends to win this and they are talented this year. Will be a tough game, but winnable.

Darn Tough Wins (3):
- Auburn (Home): We play AU tough at home, but they have the mojo working.
- LSU (Away): An LSU team that is in a major rebuilding mode, but in Death Valley, prob not.
- Bama (Away): Not on their field. Nope.

So I see 7 as the bottom and a disappointment if we didn't get at least A&M. 9 Would make me happy. More than 9 is outstanding.

smootness
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but 8-4 won't get him fired, and it shouldn't. That will still show we're continuing to build the program. Our recruiting is gradually improving, I think our overall coaching staff is continuing to improve, and I believe our young talent is better than our experienced talent. And the 2015 class looks like it will probably clearly be his best yet.

By 'definining year', I'm not exactly sure what people mean....that whatever we do this year is our ceiling under Mullen? Because I don't believe that.

He doesn't have any built-in 'excuses', but that doesn't mean we either compete for the West or it's time for him to go. It even took Steve Spurrier time to build South Carolina into a consistent contender.

As long as we look good and show progress this year, I'll continue to want Mullen as coach of the program. If we sputter and struggle and barely get to a bowl, then it's time to re-think things.

smootness
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
So I see 7 as the bottom and a disappointment if we didn't get at least A&M. 9 Would make me happy. More than 9 is outstanding.

This is pretty much the way I see it.

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Easiest way to do it:

- Southern
- UAB
- South Alabama
- KY
- Arkansas
- UT Martin
- Vandy

Might Can Win (2):
- UM (Away): 50/50. Home team tends to win this and they are talented this year. Will be a tough game, but winnable.

Darn Tough Wins (3):
- LSU (Away): An LSU team that is in a major rebuilding mode, but in Death Valley, prob not.

We HAVEto beat one of these teams this year...

Honestly, I think we should expect to beat a down A&M this year. the OM/MSU series is generally a home team win, but Dan really needs to pull out that win as well....

In the end, if we can't beat AU, UA, or LSU, I will be pretty disappointed. This is the best we've ever matched up with them. If not now, when?

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but 8-4 won't get him fired, and it shouldn't. That will still show we're continuing to build the program. Our recruiting is gradually improving, I think our overall coaching staff is continuing to improve, and I believe our young talent is better than our experienced talent. And the 2015 class looks like it will probably clearly be his best yet.

By 'definining year', I'm not exactly sure what people mean....that whatever we do this year is our ceiling under Mullen? Because I don't believe that.

He doesn't have any built-in 'excuses', but that doesn't mean we either compete for the West or it's time for him to go. It even took Steve Spurrier time to build South Carolina into a consistent contender.

As long as we look good and show progress this year, I'll continue to want Mullen as coach of the program. If we sputter and struggle and barely get to a bowl, then it's time to re-think things.

I'm not at all suggesting it would be time for him to go, or that he should be fired...

I'm just saying hope would no longer spring eternal... Or as you say, we'd have a pretty damn good idea of what Mullen's ceiling is.

Not saying he could never do better than that ceiling, but that it's not something we should expect often.

smootness
06-11-2014, 02:16 PM
In the end, if we can't beat AU, UA, or LSU, I will be pretty disappointed. This is the best we've ever matched up with them. If not now, when?

I agree that at some point we have to beat them. But we did beat Auburn just a couple of years ago, and the answer to 'when' is 'when we're even better'.

I believe we'll be better in a 2-3 years than we're going to be this year. That's why I don't understand the 'this is our best chance' stuff.

TexasDawg
06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I think the biggest thing is that our players seem to finally believe that they can compete and win the West based off of their social media. That was definitely our biggest uphill battle towards consistent success. Now that our team is confident in themselves, I think from this point forward is when the real judgements can be made about this coaching staff. I really believe that Mullen has us on the right track.

Covercorner2
06-11-2014, 02:26 PM
I agree that at some point we have to beat them. But we did beat Auburn just a couple of years ago, and the answer to 'when' is 'when we're even better'.

I believe we'll be better in a 2-3 years than we're going to be this year. That's why I don't understand the 'this is our best chance' stuff.

It's because not only are we going to have a really good team, but we don't play anyone tough from the East, we dont't play anyone tough OOC and Bama and LSU are "down." In 2 or so years we MAY be better, but so may all the other teams and we have to play a major OOC opponent AND a rotation of Mizzou-SC-UGA-UF....

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM
I just think it doesn't take more than 6 or 7 years to build a program.

Most times, you know what a coach is going to give you after year 3 and 4... By 6 and 7, you are what you are IMO...

I mean, I guess it's possible that Dan has a career path similar to Bianco, and finally gets it done a decade or more later... The odds of that are really bad.

Again, not saying you're wrong about us getting better in 3 years, but history says otherwise.

preachermatt83
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM
anything less than 9 wins should have us all in fits.

drunkernhelldawg
06-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Well, we have 7 "should" wins. That is unique right there. We are capable of beating OM and AM, should even be favored. That's 9. Then, LSU and Bama are in flux. Sure, we're the underdogs, but I like to think that we'll compete with those teams this season. We also have Dak, who has the potential to be a game changer. We'll see whether he fulfills his promise. So it may not be our best chance ever into the future, but it's certainly our best chance in the last 15 or so seasons. So yeah, I have high hopes, jus' lak dat little ol' ant.

FISHDAWG
06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
still dont understand the Auburn love .... they squeaked by on three games they should have lost and now the entire media world thinks Malzahn can walk on water

smootness
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I agree that generally speaking, you're not going to suddenly take a big step forward 10 years into a coach's tenure.

But Spurrier didn't win more than 9 until his 7th year at SC, and he's now won 11 3 years in a row. He won 7 his first year there and was between 6-8 each of his first 5 years. Of course, he did win the East in his sixth year, but they still haven't played in a BCS bowl since he's been there, and I think their ceiling under him is still higher than they've yet reached.

I think it depends on the program. At a place like Georgia or Auburn or Alabama, if you can't get it done after 4 or 5 years, you're not going to get it done.

But at a place like State, you have to build the program just up to the level we're at now first, which is a consistent bowl program. Those programs are already there. I think he's now shown recruits that's who we are, and they now see us in a different light. Continue to increase the talent level, win more and more, and you turn the head of an even higher class of recruit.

I guess what I mean is that as long as certain areas of the program continue to improve (and I think recruiting is definitely continuing to improve, especially at key positions like QB), then I still see an even higher ceiling, regardless of what year of his tenure we're in. If the recruiting was staying stagnant, then I'd be much less likely to see it. It would be more like a salesman - 'None of the ingredients are better, but stick with me, and we're going places'. But we're still in the process of continuing to improve the ingredients.

There is a bit of a hump we haven't been able to get over yet, but I still believe we can.

smootness
06-11-2014, 02:41 PM
still dont understand the Auburn love .... they squeaked by on three games they should have lost and now the entire media world thinks Malzahn can walk on water

Well, just pretend they won 8 or 9 then instead of playing for the national title. It was Malzahn's first year, he increased their win total from 3 to 8, and they return a lot and continue to recruit at a high level. They would be getting a lot of hype, honestly maybe even more than currently, if that had been the case. Because I do think there's a sense that they overachieved last year.

engie
06-11-2014, 02:42 PM
In 2014, 9 wins to be "happy" with him -- 8 wins to "stay on the fence" -- 7 or less and I'm back to unhappy depending on circumstance, although current recruiting in this class and paying Collins goes a long way toward alleviating my concerns longterm...

For reference, 7 was "happy" territory last year -- with 6 "on the fence". I was off the fence when I was pretty positive we weren't going to get #6, but am back on it now when we pulled the Egg out as underdogs for the first game in about 50...

Taking it one year at a time before defining what it'll take in 2015...

codeDawg
06-11-2014, 02:51 PM

You get the benefit of the doubt when you win the SEC and play in the NC game. You don't when you win 6 regular season games.

BogeyGolfer
06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Everyone should be happy with 6-8 wins per year no matter what, period. I agree this year seems like we have the opportunity to do something special 9 wins maybe... I'm not giving away too much because my prediction thread will be here on August 1. Either way, we are lucky to have Mullen.

jumbo
06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
I fully expect 8 regular season wins. Less than that and I will be disappointed.

Non-conf, UK & Vandy are W's
A&M is a should win
OM, Auburn, LSU- I would like 2 from this group but expect 1
Bama- expecting a L

Coach34
06-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I could win 7 with this team while calling plays
8 wins would be solid- but not great
9+ wins is a damn good coaching job

tcdog70
06-11-2014, 03:35 PM
8 wins a must. Also don't want Him to lose any game because of a shitty kicking game or because He got cute in the red zone. he has big backs and large wide outs, when you get in the red zone please just play Big Boy football. Dak at QB should make Dan look really smart.

Jack Lambert
06-11-2014, 03:42 PM
We HAVEto beat one of these teams this year...

Honestly, I think we should expect to beat a down A&M this year. the OM/MSU series is generally a home team win, but Dan really needs to pull out that win as well....

MS_half-step
06-11-2014, 03:48 PM
We will win 7 and you will like it

DudyDawg
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
8, to me, is kind of ehh. I wouldn't be mad by any means, but I would still have that feeling of "man, we could have been more". I think a very good year for us is 9, and it isn't completely insane to HOPE for ten with the amount we have coming back, our schedule, and the amount the bigger boys lost. We need to have a big year to keep up the big recruiting and fill out our sexy new bowl.

QuadrupleOption
06-11-2014, 04:12 PM
1) Bowl games both seasons
2) Split the Egg Bowl

Anything beyond that is gravy. I know, I know, I'm 'supporting mediocrity' ... whatever that means. But if you are an MSU fan you should at this point in time be very happy that we have been to 4 straight bowls with a great shot of making it 6 in a row for the next two years.

That has NEVER been done at MSU. So yeah, I'll be happy with that, and ecstatic with anything beyond that. But expectations? Man, as an MSU fan that's playing with fire.

Todd4State
06-11-2014, 04:43 PM
It depends on Dak. If he stays healthy we will get to 8-9 wins. If not, we'll win the ones we're supposed to but probably not the ones that are toss ups or any of the ones where we are underdogs.

The best way to keep Dak healthy is to throw the ball more- which should be no problem with Bear and Jameon, not to mention guys like Robert Johnson, Joe Morrow, and Malcolm Johnson among others. And the other key is to hand the ball off to Robinson and Shumpert more. And when I say more- I mean Liberty Bowl game plan.

Bullmutt
06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Given the way we finished last season and based on remarks by players and coaches since then, I get a real sense there has been a significant increase in team confidence and that, as someone previously noted, the players actually believe they can compete for the West. If that is indeed the case, I hope the coaches will have faith in that confidence in close games and not make the kinds of in-game decisions that were made going into the 4th quarter at Auburn last year; don't try to play prevent defense for a quarter and go stone cold conservative on offense. We have enough talent and experience now that that should seldom be the correct approach, IMHO.

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Given the way we finished last season and based on remarks by players and coaches since then, I get a real sense there has been a significant increase in team confidence and that, as someone previously noted, the players actually believe they can compete for the West. If that is indeed the case, I hope the coaches will have faith in that confidence in close games and not make the kinds of in-game decisions that were made going into the 4th quarter at Auburn last year; don't try to play prevent defense for a quarter and go stone cold conservative on offense. We have enough talent and experience now that that should seldom be the correct approach, IMHO.

That's what happens when you end the season on a high note... It does wonders...

We'll see the real mental make up of this team when we face off against LSU. Do we fold in death valley, or do we fight(win or lose), beat A&M, and come out swinging against the wardamneagletigers...

That three game stretch is important. If we go 2-1 in that stretch, which I personally think is doable, we will win 10 games this year. If we go 1-2... We're probably looking at 8-4 with an outside shot at 9-3.

Like others have said. Bama is more than likely a loss at their place, so the LSU and Auburn games are essential for us to get 9 or 10. Gotta win 1 of those to have to feel good about 9 or 10 wins IMO.

Schultzy
06-11-2014, 06:12 PM
The auburn and a&m games will determine whether we are at 7, 8 or nine. The lsu, bama and egg will determine 10, 11 or 12.
It's nice that Mullen has put together enough talent and depth that we have high expectations and it surprises me that he has after losing out in such a devastating manner on those two recruits midway into his career here. I thought he was done even caring about recruiting here after that.

But he bounced back and I love what he's doing recruiting wise and the depth with our team the last couple years.

defiantdog
06-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Easiest way to do it:

- Southern
- UAB
- South Alabama
- KY
- Arkansas
- UT Martin
- Vandy

Might Can Win (2):

Darn Tough Wins (3):

A&M might be in trouble this year. I know they are stacked at every position and they have depth, but they lost some pretty damn good play makers. And I just saw they have a ton of walk-ons.... odd.

Auburn players are like Auburn fans.... they are cocky shits who believe they have already won the SEC Championship. They should be prime for the pickin. I'm not sold on Marshall.... even if they have the best receiving core in the SEC.

We should all be talking about this though.... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2092140-best-college-football-value-bets-to-throw-down-this-summer/page/5

Bothrops
06-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Want 8+ wins? We have to beat A&M. If we don't we may win 7.

hacker
06-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Exactly my feelings as well. I'm realistically expecting 10, including a bowl win.

If we have 7 and a bowl loss, that's also a disappointment. 7 out of 12, 8 out of 13 is the bottom in my eyes.

hacker
06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Want 8+ wins? We have to beat A&M. If we don't we may win 7.

Pardon me for the wool, but I'm feeling pretty confident about that game at home.

EdDawg
06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Here's the way I see Bama. They have looked less and less dominant every year, even when winning the national title they didn't look as dominant as they didn't when Saban won his first there.

Saban has publicly decreed that he doesn't like the spread offense and hates the hurry up no huddle. Why? Because it frustrates him that he can't get plays called in on time to what the offense is lined up in. Now he is a great coach still, however he is getting older every year and at this point that football knowledge maybe leaving a little quicker than he can gain new information, like muscle mass with aging athletes.

Now to their home field advantage, we all know it's a tough place to play with the crowd and refs all waving those crimson and white pom poms, but we also know their fans are sidewalk fans and the first sign of struggling they won't stick around. So if they somehow lose a game or two early that stadium may not be as electric as before. Now I haven't looked at their schedule yet, but I'm sure they have the potential to drop an early game.

codeDawg
06-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Here's the way I see Bama. They have looked less and less dominant every year, even when winning the national title they didn't look as dominant as they didn't when Saban won his first there.

Saban has publicly decreed that he doesn't like the spread offense and hates the hurry up no huddle. Why? Because it frustrates him that he can't get plays called in on time to what the offense is lined up in. Now he is a great coach still, however he is getting older every year and at this point that football knowledge maybe leaving a little quicker than he can gain new information, like muscle mass with aging athletes.

Now to their home field advantage, we all know it's a tough place to play with the crowd and refs all waving those crimson and white pom poms, but we also know their fans are sidewalk fans and the first sign of struggling they won't stick around. So if they somehow lose a game or two early that stadium may not be as electric as before. Now I haven't looked at their schedule yet, but I'm sure they have the potential to drop an early game.

Bama is pretty well setup. Their toughest games are at UM, at LSU, MSU and Auburn. Florida could be a surprise, but I don't see A&M or UT making any waves this year.

The UM game will be tough on the road against a style that Saben hates. As we've seen in years past though, UM just doesn't have the depth to play the whole game and win it.

Death Valley is tough, but LSU has too many holes this year.

We could give them trouble, but it's at their house. We would have to have some kind of game plan just to offset the talent level issue.

Finally, it's the Iron Bowl. Anything can happen.

TrueMaroon
06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
We could give them trouble, but it's at their house. We would have to have some kind of game plan just to offset the talent level issue.

They've got more talent than we do, but it's not near the gap that people make it out to be. Our defense will hold its on against Bama. If Nick Griffin is where people have said he's at, the State/Bama game may be an old fashioned, heavy-weight slobberknocker .

dickiedawg
06-12-2014, 09:50 AM
I'd say my expectation for this year is 8-4. Anything less than that will be pretty disappointing, anything more will be a pretty good accomplishment and sets us up for 10 wins (pretty rare air, for our program).
That's not to say Mullen should be canned for 7 wins or anything like that.

We also have a chance to greatly exceed expectations, as in winning the West and/or making the Playoff, if everything goes our way.

Like others have mentioned, I also don't think this season is necessarily our pinnacle or only chance to do something special. Our talent level is improving every year and 2015 is shaping up to be our best class ever, so we should continue to elevate. This season does have a lot of advantages, like 2 very beatable East opponents and no OOC teams with a pulse. While that's not likely to happen again soon, I think every even year we'll have a manageable schedule of East opponents (@UK, other at home) and really don't think we'll be scheduling a ton of juggernauts OOC either.

Pollodawg
06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Teams we beat:

All 4OOC
Vandy UK
Arkansas
TAMU
Bowl game

Teams I'm iffy on:
Bama away
LSU away
OM away (This is a tossup, but we will def have to cook to win this one.)
Auburn at home (this was the hardest to pick, and honestly could go wither way)

9-4 and I am grumbling a little. Anything less than that, and that means we lost all of our tossups and didn't have a solid win all season, imho.

Now, here's what I think happens. Hold on to your hats.
We beat:

All four OOC team by big margins
LSU (yes. I typed that. This game reminds me of one of two things: Either Auburn 2011 where we lose a heart breaker, or UF of 2010, where we pull one out of the fire verses a team that is decent, but not up to the their old standards."

Vandy--double digit win
UK--double digit win
Arkansas--wins in thrilling fashion vs the hogs to go 3 in a row over the swine.
Auburn--This game spooks me a little.
TAMU--We win this one going away in my opinion. This season's Mississippi State Football Bulldawgs will be a little too much for a depleted TAMU team.

The season will be dampened a little with tough loses to Bama and possibly the Barn . But we have a decent shot at OM this season. As good as ever, really at their place. Since '10 anyway.

LC Dawg
06-12-2014, 11:23 AM
We need to hold serve at home. It's been said before but even numbered years are our best shot at big seasons. I know everyone is talking about how we can beat Bama and LSU but I say throw those games out. It's two road losses, no big deal. We must win our home games against the West. If we do that, win the 4 OOC and the 2 games against the East like we should, that's 9 wins and leaves the Egg Bowl as possibly the 10th win. If we do this and still manage to pull off the Bama or LSU game we have then turned a very good season into a special season. I think the key each year is winning our home games against the West and in even numbered years that does not include Bama and LSU.

NCDawg
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM

We also squeaked by 4 games by the hair of our chinny chin chin. BGU (guy dropped a pass at the end which would have put them in FG range); Kentucky (Market's tackle saved the day); Arkansas and Ole Miss (thanks to Whitley's strips). If we had lost some or all of those games, wonder what the mood on here would be now?

drunkernhelldawg
06-12-2014, 12:06 PM
We also squeaked by 4 games by the hair of our chinny chin chin. BGU (guy dropped a pass at the end which would have put them in FG range); Kentucky (Market's tackle saved the day); Arkansas and Ole Miss (thanks to Whitley's strips). If we had lost some or all of those games, wonder what the mood on here would be now?

So often, the difference between winning and losing is tiny. Although a few key plays may "decide" the game, performing competitively during all the other plays is required for the opportunity to arise. Our former basketball coach had very bad luck in this regard, coming up short in most of the biggest of his close games. But we were always in it, which to me is almost on par with ultimately getting the W. Nothing more pathetically pointless as a one-sided athletic contest. That's one reason I'm not a big fan of having sure wins on the schedule. Of course, experience has taught us that sure wins are never actually sure. Anybody else a touch apprehensive about Aug. 30, which I believe is the date of our next sure win?

BulldogBear
06-12-2014, 12:17 PM
FISH I actually agree with you here. There are some candidates for most overrated SEC overall or SEC West football team this year (and sadly, I hope we aren't the winner because I believe we are underrated) and I actually believe the winner is Auburn. They won't catch anyone off guard this year among other things. The Bama win was just... very much a one time thing (by which I mean the way it happened). I think they are way too overconfident going into this season. I don't they are good enough to line up and say "This the way we do it. We're going to cram it down your throat and there's nothing you can do about it." They are not good enough to do that. I still see them as gimmicky. And defense still wins championships. There is always the exception and I believe last year was one of them. Lightning won't strike twice on the plains. If you can find an o/u at 9.5 wins, bet you're life savings on under. The media always fawns over last year's winner and barely ever predicts anything other than a repeat. They could luck their way into being another 8-4 team with an 11-1 record (and they are lucky often) but if they're 11-1 again it won't be because they're "that good."

blacklistedbully
06-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Yes, but we aren't hyped the way Malzahn & Auburn are. Of course they're going to get more, and deserve more given their accomplishment, but that carries with it the burden of extra scrutiny.

DudyDawg
06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
FISH I actually agree with you here. There are some candidates for most overrated SEC overall or SEC West football team this year (and sadly, I hope we aren't the winner because I believe we are underrated) and I actually believe the winner is Auburn. They won't catch anyone off guard this year among other things. The Bama win was just... very much a one time thing (by which I mean the way it happened). I think they are way too overconfident going into this season. I don't they are good enough to line up and say "This the way we do it. We're going to cram it down your throat and there's nothing you can do about it." They are not good enough to do that. I still see them as gimmicky. And defense still wins championships. There is always the exception and I believe last year was one of them. Lightning won't strike twice on the plains. If you can find an o/u at 9.5 wins, bet you're life savings on under. The media always fawns over last year's winner and barely ever predicts anything other than a repeat. They could luck their way into being another 8-4 team with an 11-1 record (and they are lucky often) but if they're 11-1 again it won't be because they're "that good."

Completely agree. They beat forego a bc a dumb DB misplayed a ball and we all saw the Bama game. Hell they beat us on a last minute drive. It's not like they dominated us. I just have yet to buy into them being very good

sleepy dawg
06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
It's because not only are we going to have a really good team, but we don't play anyone tough from the East, we dont't play anyone tough OOC and Bama and LSU are "down." In 2 or so years we MAY be better, but so may all the other teams and we have to play a major OOC opponent AND a rotation of Mizzou-SC-UGA-UF....

I'll believe Bama is "down" when I see it.