PDA

View Full Version : Lindgren > Bousfield

godlluB
06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm genuinely curious about this. Other than the Ferriss Trophy, has Auston Bousfield been ranked above Jacob Lindgren on anything this year?

Lindgren was drafter higher (2nd round - 55th vs. 5th round - 147th pick)
Lindgren is first Team All-American from Baseball America. Bousfield is third team.
They are both first team All SEC.
Lindgren is an Olsen Award Finalist, Bousfield isn't, but Ole Miss catcher Will Allen is.

esplanade91
06-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm ok with the draft discrepancy. It's not about the pro potential of these players. Example: If McKinney is drafted in the 1st but some linebacker from USM gets 150 tackles or something ridiculous but has horrible particulars and won't be drafted, the USM linebacker deserves the award. Period.

But this award was botched, just like the Connerlly a couple of years ago. It's clear that the HoF only cares who the best player is on the best team.

I like Rick, but I don't remember this necessarily being a problem before he arrived. A Millsaps QB won the Connerlly a couple of seasons ago. Maybe it was because of how shitty UM and MSU were at the time, but regardless I can't picture that happening today.

jimbo352
06-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Well... Yeah... I doubt Bousfield has the command Lingren does....

Maroons
06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
It's a no-brainer which player was completely dominant and which player was just very good.

Johnson85
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
But this award was botched, just like the Connerlly a couple of years ago. It's clear that the HoF only cares who the best player is on the best team.

This is no where nearly as bad as the Connerlly trophy. Wallace wasn't the best player on his team and at best should have been 4th (behind some order of Moncrief, SLay, and Banks), although I suspect there were several others.

This is sort of like Wallace winning the trophy in that I think the same attitude that would lead them to consider a fairly mediocre qb as a viable candidate would also cause them to overlook a relief pitcher. In football, they are going to be biased towards qb's and then RB's and in baseball they are going to be biased towards good hitter's or the best starting pitchers.

shoeless joe
06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
These state awards are a joke.

LC Dawg
06-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm not even sure Bousfield is the best player on his team. I might would go with Chris Ellis or Will Allen. And if we're talking position players for the Ferriss then I think Pirtle is every bit as deserving as Bousfield.
I love Ross Mitchell and everything that he's done for our program but Lindgren's numbers were just too good to ignore. He got screwed out of the Ferriss and there's no other way to look at it.
I'm sure he'll get over it when he gets his signing bonus though.

Todd4State
06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Not to mention that Lindgren may be the first player from this year's entire draft to make it to MLB.

Bousfield getting the Ferris Award this year was puzzling to say the least.

messageboardsuperhero
06-12-2014, 12:11 AM
It's a no-brainer which player was completely dominant and which player was just very good.

Strongly agree with this. When he pitched this year, Lindgren was by far the most dominant pitcher in the SEC- not just in MS.

messageboardsuperhero
06-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Not to mention that Lindgren may be the first player from this year's entire draft to make it to MLB.

Bousfield getting the Ferris Award this year was puzzling to say the least.

Hell, Lindgren might even make it up before anyone in the 2013 draft class gets to MLB.