PDA

View Full Version : Dee Arrington / jay Hughes

msstate7
06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Any news on their recovery? I really liked dee in our opener last year

esplanade91
06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Last I saw was Hughes was 80-90% but wasn't in drills. Pegged to be 100% by August 30th. First 3 games should serve as a warm-up to knock some of the rust off for him.

sandwolf
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
I really liked dee in our opener last year

I did too. He looked really good. Could someone remind me what the nature of his injury was?

BeastMan
06-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Last I heard was that Hughes would be ready to roll and Arrington is likely done with football due to injuries. I'm hoping he can bounce back but I was given a grim prognosis

ETA- slight hijack but I wanted to add the Nick Griffin's rehab from the last knee has been dang near a miracle. It was a gruesome injury and you cant source it any closer than I got it. Was told he may never play again when it happened. The simple fact that he is vying for carries is a true testament to his work ethic and attitude.

chainedup_Dawg
06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Last I heard was that Hughes would be ready to roll and Arrington is likely done with football due to injuries. I'm hoping he can bounce back but I was given a grim prognosis

ETA- slight hijack but I wanted to add the Nick Griffin's rehab from the last knee has been dang near a miracle. It was a gruesome injury and you can source it any closer than I got it. Was told he may never play again when it happened. The simple fact that he is vying for carries is a true testament to his work ethic and attitude.

Man, I hate to hear that about Dee. Was looking forward to seeing him back on the field.

Ad far as the Griffin news, I love that kid! Out of everyone, he had the right to throw in the towel but has busted his ass to get back. I really hope he can come out this year and make a statement

camsu
06-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Is Dee's injury just hamstring issues that can't be resolved? I don't think I have ever heard that before. I think Hughes is going to be great this year and I agree Griffin is a winner just being out there.

engie
06-11-2014, 04:49 PM
People should probably get ready to see Hughes spelling Market this year IMO... Achilles are a tough injury to come back from, as we saw in 2012 with Nickoe...

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Is Dee's injury just hamstring issues that can't be resolved? I don't think I have ever heard that before. I think Hughes is going to be great this year and I agree Griffin is a winner just being out there.

Ummm.......ever heard of Ray Ray Bivens (sp)? Dude was actually pretty good when he was healthy, but that was about 1% of the time. The other 99% he had hamstring issues.

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2014, 01:10 AM
People should probably get ready to see Hughes spelling Market this year IMO... Achilles are a tough injury to come back from, as we saw in 2012 with Nickoe...

Completely agree. I just don't get the disrespect for Market. Sure, he may not have the elite "measurables" or the size or whatever the hell else our fans think you have to have to be a great football player. But all he does is make big plays at big moments. His football IQ is outstanding and he's almost never out of position. Not to mention he's one of the most sure tacklers on our entire D.

And as you point out, Achilles injuries are notoriously hard to come back from. It's an injury that tends to stick with you forever, actually. It's a whole different animal than tearing an ACL. As my buddy who's in med school says to me, the problem with recover for an Achilles is blood flow. It's hard for the tendon in the heel to get the blood necessary to recover properly. You can come back from it, but the odds of you being 100% of what you were previously are pretty small. Yet it's just assumed that Hughes will be back and immediately banish Market into obscurity. Makes no sense to me.

ETA: Market was second on our team in tackles last season. The only guy who had more? McKinney. Let that sink in for those who just assume Hughes will be 100% of what he was and that he'll easily pass Market on the depth chart.

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2014, 01:15 AM

ETA- slight hijack but I wanted to add the Nick Griffin's rehab from the last knee has been dang near a miracle. It was a gruesome injury and you cant source it any closer than I got it. Was told he may never play again when it happened. The simple fact that he is vying for carries is a true testament to his work ethic and attitude.

Hadn't heard that, but it explains why he looked so slow last season. And I really wonder what Nick Griffin some of the guys on this board were watching at our spring scrimmage that are claiming he's back. I was there and what I saw was a guy who looked better than he did last fall, but not really close to what he was two seasons ago. He still looks at least a full step slow and probably always will. It's one of the biggest reasons I think he should be moved into a FB role even though he doesn't necessarily have the prototypical FB build. And I don't mean that disrespectfully to Nick. He's clearly worked his ass off just to get back on the field and loves MSU. In fact, the way he's worked is the big reason I want to see him on the field more. He can still have an impact on this football team, just in a different role than what most of us would've envisioned previously. I personally think he'd be a hell of a matchup problem as a FB.

FISHDAWG
06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Completely agree. I just don't get the disrespect for Market. Sure, he may not have the elite "measurables" or the size or whatever the hell else our fans think you have to have to be a great football player. But all he does is make big plays at big moments. His football IQ is outstanding and he's almost never out of position. Not to mention he's one of the most sure tacklers on our entire D.

And as you point out, Achilles injuries are notoriously hard to come back from. It's an injury that tends to stick with you forever, actually. It's a whole different animal than tearing an ACL. As my buddy who's in med school says to me, the problem with recover for an Achilles is blood flow. It's hard for the tendon in the heel to get the blood necessary to recover properly. You can come back from it, but the odds of you being 100% of what you were previously are pretty small. Yet it's just assumed that Hughes will be back and immediately banish Market into obscurity. Makes no sense to me.

ETA: Market was second on our team in tackles last season. The only guy who had more? McKinney. Let that sink in for those who just assume Hughes will be 100% of what he was and that he'll easily pass Market on the depth chart.

these are the facts and they are undeniable .... nice post

engie
06-12-2014, 09:37 AM
He can still have an impact on this football team, just in a different role than what most of us would've envisioned previously. I personally think he'd be a hell of a matchup problem as a FB.

I think all of our RBs are going to have to play FB at times, sans J-Rob... I'm really woolly about how good Shump was at that role as a true freshman. Watch and listen to the lick he delivers out of the I at 3:15 here in the Egg Bowl. That play pumps me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mox_Bhkgcvo

Also, something that hasn't been mentioned -- Griffin is by far our best pass protector at RB, and maybe one of the best in the SEC...

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I think all of our RBs are going to have to play FB at times, sans J-Rob... I'm really woolly about how good Shump was at that role as a true freshman. Watch and listen to the lick he delivers out of the I at 3:15 here in the Egg Bowl. That play pumps me up.

Also, something that hasn't been mentioned -- Griffin is by far our best pass protector at RB, and maybe one of the best in the SEC...

Damn, Shump lit up that dude. Helluva lick.

And that is another huge reason I want Griffin to be primarily a FB. It gets him onto the field more in 2-back sets to help out in pass situations.

smootness
06-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Who is disrespecting Market? The guy was great for us last year. I think most people are just acknowledging that Hughes won the job last year and, if healthy, would probably win it again.

I don't think that's disrespectful to Market. He will certainly play a lot this year and could be the primary safety again, especially if Hughes isn't fully recovered. Either way, I think the fact that no one has expressed concern over that position, despite the uncertainty around Hughes, is actually a testament to Market. Everyone knows that regardless, we'll have good safety play.

ETA: See the starting lineup thread, where literally every single person has tabbed Market to start at safety game one.