PDA

View Full Version : College Baseball NIT

Pioneer Dawg
06-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Any chance that a non-CWS affiliated tournament ever starts up for teams left out of the field of 64? Hoops does this. Football has tons of bowls.

Todd4State
06-11-2014, 12:45 AM
I would like it and I would watch it. BUT I highly doubt anyone will do it. It would be a money sinkhole.

It would be a nice event for Trustmark Park to have the championship there. But again- sinkhole.

Pioneer Dawg
06-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Whats the NCAA rule on playing postseason games outside of its tournament? Could we set up a yearly end of June old-school barnstorming playing against the Redbirds, Braves, Biloxi team, Mobile and Birmingham.. Culminating in a send off game at the Dude.

Todd4State
06-11-2014, 12:55 AM
I honestly don't know because it has never come up before. I suspect it would have to be OK'd by the NCAA. I don't think they would have a problem with it- but on the other hand they are very weird with how they handle baseball.

dawgs
06-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Last thing I'd wanna do is put stress on a pitchers arm at the end of a season for meaningless games.

Dawgface
06-11-2014, 06:08 AM
I can't imagine there would be enough interest to get this off the ground.

Pioneer Dawg
06-11-2014, 07:15 AM
I can't imagine there would be enough interest to get this off the ground.

I bet those minor league teams would love it. We wouldn't have to schedule away games with Memphis/USA/etc for the alumni there and they'd get to see us vs top competition.

Pioneer Dawg
06-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Last thing I'd wanna do is put stress on a pitchers arm at the end of a season for meaningless games.

They're already playing summer ball.

msstate7
06-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Would the minor league teams be up for it? Seems it's a lose-lose for them. If they win, they're supposed to. If they lose, they suffer embarrassment

Pioneer Dawg
06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Would the minor league teams be up for it? Seems it's a lose-lose for them. If they win, they're supposed to. If they lose, they suffer embarrassment

Its a win win win win for them because they make money. And losing to a top level college school isn't embarrassing. It would be a fairly even matchup.

bulldogcountry1
06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
I'd rather have a all MS round robin fall exhibition at Trustmark. I'm sure it would next to impossible to pull off with football going on, but it would be fun if it could be worked out.

TheRef
06-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Exactly. Plus they are in the middle of their season. I just don't see minor-league teams letting this happen.

dawgs
06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
They're already playing summer ball.

The guys that pitch regularly all season don't usually play summer ball unless I'm having a serious brain fart. For instance, I couldn't find any info on Ross mitchell playing summer ball last summer, because he pitched all season. Summer league for pitchers is primarily to get young guys and guys buried on the depth chart a season of game work. At least that's my understanding.

smootness
06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Would this NIT or barnstorming tour be played instead of summer ball? Because I'd rather our players play summer ball.