PDA

View Full Version : Something Troubling That I've Seen

TheRef
06-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Here is something as a lifelong MSU fan that I will NEVER understand or comprehend. I have seen on multiple social media platforms State fans saying that they are supporting Ole Miss in the CWS. Why? Why would you support your RIVAL on the national stage where they can claim something over you? Why would you say "I'm a fan of the State of Mississippi. That's why I am going for Ole Miss"? For those of you still defending it, let's put it in football terms for you shall we?

If Ole Miss was in the College Football Playoff, would you support them? Would you say "Oh sure. Go ahead and go on the national stage while we are at home, I'll support you!" No. Because they are our rival. Rivals don't support each other. BAMA doesn't support Auburn in anything and vice versa.

That's my $0.02 and I welcome a discussion, if need be.

RossDawg82
06-10-2014, 11:11 AM
I usually have a rule that if MSU is not in the CWS, NCAA tourney, or playoffs I will root for the SEC. Let me make it clear that I am not hoping Ole Miss wins this thing. I will actually be pulling for Vandy in the CWS. But at the end of the day, if MSU cannot win, I would like to see a SEC team win.

West Houston Dog
06-10-2014, 11:12 AM
!!

thedawg
06-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I never pull for Ole Miss in anything period... Partly because their success hurts us end of discussion.. we compete against them for players and resources so any success they have is detrimental to our success... Mostly though I dont pull for them because of the way those smug bastards act when they do have success... I got 9 separate text messages from nine different ole miss fans trying to rub my nose in the shit... screw them... I hope they get blown out twice

godlluB
06-10-2014, 11:25 AM
In the CWS, I will be rooting for:

1. Vandy
2. UC-Irvine (I like their hats)
3. Anyone playing Ole Miss

spudd21
06-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I never pull for Ole Miss in anything period... Partly because their success hurts us end of discussion.. we compete against them for players and resources so any success they have is detrimental to our success... Mostly though I dont pull for them because of the way those smug bastards act when they do have success... I got 9 separate text messages from nine different ole miss fans trying to rub my nose in the shit... screw them... I hope they get blown out twice

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

LC Dawg
06-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I do not have any Ole Miss friends but I do have some acquaintances through church, relatives, etc. I make it a point to not mention Ole Miss or State to them just to try to keep the peace because I do have to be around them every once in a while. However, every time, and I do mean every time, Ole Miss does anything these people seek me out to make a comment. 99 percent of their fans are smug, arrogant pricks. I just don't see how anyone, not just State fans, who have been around these people can wish them any success.

Coach34
06-10-2014, 11:37 AM
I would root for a team Jihadists, that had Jim Jones pitching and Adolf Hitler managing them before I would root for OM

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I would root for a team Jihadists, that had Jim Jones pitching and Adolf Hitler managing them before I would root for OM

Now that's funny.

MsStateBaseball
06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Same reason I don't pull for LSU baseball. They are rivals and I don't pull for rivals. If they won the whole thing, they would always bring it up for eons to come. Sometimes (and we should know) teams get excited to make it to CWS and show up and not play bc they never been there, they got stars in their eyes. We shall see.

Pioneer Dawg
06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I root for the league outside of Ole Miss

Saltydog
06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
is something that would have a positive impact on MSU and them winning anything in Omaha helps us in no way whatsoever.

RougeDawg
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM

And I'll even add Satan as their AD! **** them.

RossDawg82
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
The only way they could hold this over us is if they win it all. As long as that doesn't happen then I could care less what they do. They have a very long way to go before they can say they are the states baseball team. So let them have their due. They did what we could not.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Growing up, I knew a crazed elderly Bama fan that said, "I'd root for Red China before those bastards on the Plains." I've applied that to OM since 1991.

hacker
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
The only CWS games I will be watching are Ole Miss games. So I can root against them.

TheRef
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Here is my opinion on it: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/10/shouldnt-cheer-ole-miss-college-world-series/

You can read it and share it as you'd like. Just my little rant on the situation.

BeastMan
06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't see why this is a big deal. I have a ton of really good friends who went to Ole Miss. They will tell me straight up that they root for MSU to lose every game and they know I do the same. We can be biased in our fandom and that's fine. BUT we can sit down and talk football, basketball, or football and not be biased. You can't be biased to on-field performance. That makes you delusional. As a MSU fan I can say that Ole Miss has the talent to win the CWS and have no problem saying that. That said, I won't be cheering for that to happen. Same token, Ole Miss getting big wins doesn't bother me either. I'm sure there were plenty of MSU fans that were extremely affected by OM making the CWS. I wasn't rooting for it to happen but it doesn't bother me either. State not being able to hit this year bothered me. I say all this to say that I feel like myself and my buddies are about as rational MSU/OM rivalry people as you can find and I think we have a good system of how to handle the rivalry.

Pollodawg
06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
I am not a fan of Mississippi. I am a Mississippi State Alum and fan. I couldn't give less of a good healthy shit about USM or OM. I don't pull for them at all. I don't pull for any other team in the conference or nation. I pull for THE Mississippi State Bulldogs. That's it.

thedawg
06-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Love one hate the rest...

Vandownbytheriver
06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm not rooting for them, but I have sent some well wishes to some family and friends. We don't get into all the hate everyone else does because we try to look at things from a rational stand point. When State beats OM I don't say a word to them and vice versa. People put way too much stock and self identity into being a fan of a sports team that they have zero control over.

The Croom Diaries
06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I saw some OM people saying similar stuff last year when we made the final - that it would be good for Mississippi. It's on both sides - most people in Mississippi are nice people who don't wish ill will on anyone else.

As for the rest of us fans on the fringe who post on message boards, GTHOM. When we earn bragging rights we use them, and we recognize their success only makes things harder for us. So yes, I hope they go two and que. Them making it to Omaha should be punishment enough.

Political Hack
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't see why anyone cares. outside of then getting a natty before State in baseball, I don't see anything else of concern. State baseball has don everything they've done in baseball damn near 10 times over.

Goat Holder
06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Because they are cowards. Scared to own their hatred of Ole Miss. You don't have to be a hater, but damn. Just admit that it sucks to see them succeed at that level. It does. It's fact. They felt the same way last year, but were too insecure to admit the shit.

The Croom Diaries
06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Ole Miss getting big wins doesn't bother me either.

It won't bother me unless they win it all. I don't want them to have something we don't have, especially when it's our calling card sport. If we had won a national championship before, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if they make the championship series I will watch it with a sick feeling in my stomach.

BeastMan
06-10-2014, 12:29 PM
When State beats OM I don't say a word to them and vice versa. People put way too much stock and self identity into being a fan of a sports team that they have zero control over.

Bingo

DanDority
06-10-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm with coach 34, I hate them, heck, I don't even pull for other SEC schools. There success does nothing for us period!

drunkernhelldawg
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Because they are cowards. Scared to own their hatred of Ole Miss. You don't have to be a hater, but damn. Just admit that it sucks to see them succeed at that level. It does. It's fact. They felt the same way last year, but were too insecure to admit the shit.

I don't think it's the same for them because they don't have our tradition in baseball, all the times we've threatened to win it. Still, this thread reminds me of a bunch of guys clamoring to be the first to sign the Loyalty Oath. I ain't in line to sign it, but knock yourselves out.

HancockCountyDog
06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
My problem is that Im close to a few of the players. I know Weathersby family and I watched Braxton Lee play at Picayune for several years.

If there is anyway for those two kids to do well, while Ole Miss loses, Im all for it.

Honestly, Im just going to focus on the world cup.

Bothrops
06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm with coach 34, I hate them, heck, I don't even pull for other SEC schools. There success does nothing for us period!

I'm with this, I don't give a damn about any other league team. I'm ok with Vandy making Omaha, but that's as far as it goes for me. I'm pulling for Virginia to win the whole damn thing because we beat them last year. I want OM on a plane back to Memphis on Monday evening!

Jack Lambert
06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't pull for any school in the SEC. I am not all into this we have to pull for the SEC. Hell I would love to see Alabama and LSU humbled a little.

esplanade91
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I would root against Ole Miss in a charity drive.

Martianlander
06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Amazing how last year all the tsun fans could talk about was how baseball was not important, but all of a sudden it has become "the sport".

TheRef
06-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Welp....I think I made a sufficient amount of people mad with my article. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Barking 13
06-10-2014, 02:45 PM
MSU>OM = AL>Aub two teams I will not pull for, under any circumstance, wear red and blue, and orange and blue... point, blank, period!!!

AROB44
06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
I am not a fan of Mississippi. I am a Mississippi State Alum and fan. I couldn't give less of a good healthy shit about USM or OM. I don't pull for them at all. I don't pull for any other team in the conference or nation. I pull for THE Mississippi State Bulldogs. That's it.

THIS is the correct attitude.....nothing else.

RTO Dawg
06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
In the CWS, I will be rooting for:

1. Vandy
2. UC-Irvine (I like their hats)
3. Anyone playing Ole Miss

DITTO

BulldogBear
06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

With Goebbels as head of their PR department

State82
06-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't pull for any other team in the conference or nation. I pull for THE Mississippi State Bulldogs. That's it.

This has been, and always will be, my feelings on collegiate athletics fandom. Very succinctly put.

Vandownbytheriver
06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm not rooting for them and if they go 2 and out it won't hurt my feelings, but it's not the end of the world if State is doing poorly and Ole Miss being the Fourth Reich. I've had way too many dealings with State and Ole Miss fans where they act like a game is life and death that it has caused me to back away from the ledge. Not all Ole Miss fans are stuck up douche bags and not all State fans are overall wearing rednecks. Social media has made seemingly normal people turn into idiots.

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
No way I could pull for them. My support for them only goes as far as I don't want to see any of them get injured. I refuse to gloat and be happy over someone getting hurt...even if it gives us an edge when we play them. Aside from that I hope they get blown out of the water like a German Uboat in WWII.

blacklistedbully
06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I pull against Ole Miss in anything and everything they do. I even love it when their academics take a hit. I hope their freaking janitors are worse than everybody else's. And I despise those jackasses because 98% of their fans that I encounter remind me exactly why I hated those arrogant, self-important, fake-ass-old-south-gentry circle jerkers as much as I did when I was at MSU in the early 80's.

The stereotype of them is REAL, with those who are not, being the exceptions, not the norm. I had good friends I grew up with go there who were decent, middle-class people, then became arrogant assholes because they bought into this concocted illusion that they were somehow rich, entitled descendants of Old South aristocracy.

It is a sick, sick place, deserving of every ounce of ridicule they receive, and more. And it's an absolute disgrace how much the main-stream media lets those TSSRA-shouting, Dixie-singing, Rebel-flag waving hangers on to the Old South get away with that shit like it's somehow quaint.

I would absolutely love it if those dipshits lost every game and every competition in everything they do. The only ones I can even excuse for going to that Godforsaken joke of a school are law majors and med-school students, since that's the only thing they have of real value over MSU.

GTHOM!!!!!

War Machine Dawg
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM

This. And Satan could be the AD.

War Machine Dawg
06-10-2014, 07:05 PM
And I'll even add Satan as their AD! **** them.

Damn, beat me to it. That's what I get for posting before finishing the thread.

Dawgcentral
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Makes me sick that they made it to Omaha for the first time since '72. I don't enjoy them having a shot at the NC of college baseball. Don't give a damn that they have a good team.

Won't be through hating that place until they put bars on the windows and doors and make it a state prison. We do need the space.

dawgoneyall
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
They don't?

Martianlander
06-10-2014, 07:49 PM
I pull against Ole Miss in anything and everything they do. I even love it when their academics take a hit. I hope their freaking janitors are worse than everybody else's. And I despise those jackasses because 98% of their fans that I encounter remind me exactly why I hated those arrogant, self-important, fake-ass-old-south-gentry circle jerkers as much as I did when I was at MSU in the early 80's.

The stereotype of them is REAL, with those who are not, being the exceptions, not the norm. I had good friends I grew up with go there who were decent, middle-class people, then became arrogant assholes because they bought into this concocted illusion that they were somehow rich, entitled descendants of Old South aristocracy.

It is a sick, sick place, deserving of every ounce of ridicule they receive, and more. And it's an absolute disgrace how much the main-stream media lets those TSSRA-shouting, Dixie-singing, Rebel-flag waving hangers on to the Old South get away with that shit like it's somehow quaint.

I would absolutely love it if those dipshits lost every game and every competition in everything they do. The only ones I can even excuse for going to that Godforsaken joke of a school are law majors and med-school students, since that's the only thing they have of real value over MSU.

GTHOM!!!!!
Possibly law school but my daughter did her undergraduate pre med at State, and her med school class had very few from tsun. I believe State had the most. Technically there is no pre med curriculum. You get a degree in one of the sciences and apply to med school.