PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk worst case scenario. Let's say Ole Miss brings home hardware......

Goat Holder
06-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Where does MSU baseball go from here?

Most similar situation I can think of is the state of SC. Clemson was the baseball school, many more Omaha appearances. They had 8 Omaha appearances vs. South Carolina's 5 when Tanner took over in 1997. For all intents and purposes they were the top dog. They added another before SC made a run in 2002 (Clemson actually made that CWS too, consequently getting beaten by SC to get to the ch'ip series). So then they are at 10-6. SC never won it all, but Clemson still claims dominance. Then we all know SC went on an unprecedented run winning two in a row (beating Clemson in Omaha in the process) and have now left them in the dust. Clemson seems relegated to bitch status.

Now granted, that's worse case scenario. The Dead Injuns do seem to be watching out for us, seeing as we didn't have to watch them dogpile vs. us in Oxfart. And we do have TONS of talent coming back the next 2 years so I would predict a national seed in one of those years at minimum.

I think the only way to win back momentum would be for us to capture our own hardware, the sooner the better. 2015 and/or 2016. If we don't, we get left behind. It's really that simple. A rebel national championship may be more of a death blow than Ron Polk, if we don't respond with a vengeance.

Outside of that, I think it'll take an SEC football championship at minimum to erase the memory.

QuadrupleOption
06-10-2014, 09:31 AM
If Ole Miss wins, I tip my cap to them and tell Cohen that if they can do it, we can do it better.

Goat Holder
06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I'd like to think that, but it seems to variable. No rhyme or reason to it. To me, it seems like Ole Miss is making it look easy. Anybody else, it seems like it takes all types of luck and twists and turns to come out on top. Oregon State had 3 Friday night starters and Michael Conforto, and get beat in their own regional. You simply can't plan it.

drunkernhelldawg
06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't think it means much for the future, but it'd be a huge bite in the ass right now.

lachepas565
06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
One year removed from playing for the championship, I don't think there would be too much anyone could say. Even with a win, I don't think there would be any clear distinction. They haven't made it there though - too early to worry about.

DanDority
06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
IF!!!! and I mean a BIG IF they do win it ole lare' needs to be strung up for letting this happen because we were set back years by bringing polk back and that allowed them to get to where they are.

DapperDawg
06-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Watching regionals and super-regionals is the only time this season I've really watched any other teams play, besides MSU. And watching these other teams, showed me how far State actually has to go in regards to hitting. They rarely hit the ball to the wall, much less over it, while other teams seem to hit multiple extra base hits a game. I know these other teams I'm watching are good clubs, but in year 6 of the Cohen-era, with the recruiting success State's supposedly had, this team should hit better than it does.

I know Cohen's recruited some guys that are young and that SHOULD inject some power into the lineup, but I'll reserve my excitement, until I see some results. Wes Rea was supposed to be a power hitter, but we've only seen flashes of that. It seems that Cohen has turned this 280 lbs man into an opposite field slap hitter.

OM is a very good hitting squad, and if they can do it, State can definitely do it. Cohen just has to get those kinds of players to Starkville.

Sorry if I highjacked your thread. OM's success this season will quickly push State's 2013 success into the shadows, unless they make a quick exit.

msstate7
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Watching regionals and super-regionals is the only time this season I've really watched any other teams play, besides MSU. And watching these other teams, showed me how far State actually has to go in regards to hitting. They rarely hit the ball to the wall, much less over it, while other teams seem to hit multiple extra base hits a game. I know these other teams I'm watching are good clubs, but in year 6 of the Cohen-era, with the recruiting success State's supposedly had, this team should hit better than it does.

I know Cohen's recruited some guys that are young and that SHOULD inject some power into the lineup, but I'll reserve my excitement, until I see some results. Wes Rea was supposed to be a power hitter, but we've only seen flashes of that. It seems that Cohen has turned this 280 lbs man into an opposite field slap hitter.

OM is a very good hitting squad, and if they can do it, State can definitely do it. Cohen just has to get those kinds of players to Starkville.

Sorry if I highjacked your thread. OM's success this season will quickly push State's 2013 success into the shadows, unless they make a quick exit.

Did you see these same OM hitters last season? I think we make a huge offensive jump next season too with guys like Collins, hump, garner, and I even expect big jump from britton

DapperDawg
06-10-2014, 11:01 AM
I didn't pay attention to OM last season because they didn't do much, while State mowed through supers and Omaha (except for the final 2 games). I hope those guys improve and expect them to. However, sometimes guys regress (Detz, Rea), so I have that fear. I just hope they improve in the power categories and don't turn into slap hitters.

MarketingBully01
06-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Yeah, that is why UCLA won it all last year. Just because Ole Miss made it to Omaha does not mean they are going to win the damn thing. They aren't built for TD Ameritrade. IMO, they will lose to Virginia and more then likely go 1-2. Those homers they hit last night don't even make the warning track at TD Ameritrade park. As I stated before, my thinking is either Virginia, Louisville, or UC Irvine will win it all. I am probably leaning towards Louisville since they were there last year. Ole Miss isn't making a run in Omaha so this thread is pointless.

MarketingBully01
06-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I will also add I think they probably do as well as Indiana did. Those teams are similar, a 1-2 showing would be my guess.

DapperDawg
06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
I agree with you that OM is not built for TD Ameritrade, but if OM's hitters can find the gaps, they can have some success. My first thought is that UVA will handle OM, but I didn't think we had a good chance against OSU last year, especially twice.

Anything can happen once you get to Omaha.

PMDawg
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Give it a rest and stop obsessing with them. Or at least back off the ledge and wait until it actually happens. Jeez, just go on already. Your obsession is freaking me out.

MarketingBully01
06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Indiana was a better hitting team then Ole Miss is and had better pitching. Their only chance at a win IMO is in the loser's bracket. Virginia will beat them. Heck, Virginia crushed Arkansas twice and Arkansas beat Ole Miss twice in a similar park in Hoover. Sure, anything can happen but it is not likely at all that Ole Miss will win the thing. This is their first time to get there since 1972 and some of you guys are expecting them to get there and beat better teams in a park that does not fit them at all. Right....

Political Hack
06-10-2014, 11:38 AM
4 out of 5 eggs. State's a football school.***

MsStateBaseball
06-10-2014, 11:39 AM
OM is doing it bc of the recruiting they do at showcase/travel tournaments. They live there during the offseason. They get these kids to come play in the SEC. They have put many more in pros than we have in recent years. But Bianco has been there 14 years and Cohen going on 7.

RougeDawg
06-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd like to think that, but it seems to variable. No rhyme or reason to it. To me, it seems like Ole Miss is making it look easy. Anybody else, it seems like it takes all types of luck and twists and turns to come out on top. Oregon State had 3 Friday night starters and Michael Conforto, and get beat in their own regional. You simply can't plan it.

How in the f*** are they making it look easy? ULL walked 8 batters last night, of which 5 or 6 of those ended up scoring. OM also scored 1 run after the 1B ump gave them an extra out in the 5th/6th. ULL had blown their pitchin staff wide and didn't have the extra day to pitch their #1 guy again like they did against us. ULL walked a f***ton Sunday night as well. I don't necessarily call that OM making it look easy.

They went down to the wire twice with Washington. What was so easy about that at home?

drunkernhelldawg
06-10-2014, 12:28 PM
We've already lost our dominance in baseball, so it may not be too much worse if they win it. It will sting for them to have it before us, with all the times we've sniffed it. I don't know what kind of chance they have, but I do know they've got a better chance than we do. I am afraid that I might be secretly pulling for them before this is over. See what happens.

Pollodawg
06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
4 out of 5 eggs. State's a football school.***

You laugh, but I legit would rather beat them in football than anything else. It's the big sport in the South. Always has been. Always will be. Everything else is an appetizer.

Dawg61
06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I think Ole Miss making Omaha is great for the perception of Mississippi baseball. USM, UOM and MSU have now all made Omaha in the last 5 years. That's pretty awesome for this state. Ole Miss has a good team and they can do some damage in this tournament but only one team can win the entire thing and I think that team comes from the other side. Texas or UC Irvine are my picks to win the NC. It's going to be fun to watch and having Ole Miss in the CWS will definitely make all of us watch more than we normally would.

Radddawg
06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
I think Ole Miss making Omaha is great for the perception of Mississippi baseball. USM, UOM and MSU have now all made Omaha in the last 5 years. That's pretty awesome for this state.

Great post

Now having said that, I hope they go 0-2. Lose in a blow out to Virginia and a walk off heartbreaker in the second game.

State82
06-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Now having said that, I hope they go 0-2. Lose in a blow out to Virginia and a walk off heartbreaker in the second game.

I vote for 2 blowouts

drunkernhelldawg
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Great post

I like the idea of heartbreakers in both games, the kind of losses that make you give up the game. Hate to see those bastards looking so good. Virginia gotta help us out here.