PDA

View Full Version : MSU baseball signed and 40th round pick Dale Burdick

SouthMsDawg
06-10-2014, 08:31 AM
@Dale_Burdick13: Thank you to everyone and the New York Mets for this amazing opportunity!

He tweeted this as well as to have been retweeting tons if pro mets stuff on twitter.

Is he planning on turning us down for 40th (last in the draft) money ? Is there a qualifying/grades issue? I have been told any money after the 20th round is chump change.

MsStateBaseball, Todd, Engie, you guys have any info on this ???

Seems if he signs that'd be a huge mistake unless he is just hell bent on playing in the minors.

smootness
06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
It depends on how much they offer. If I'm not mistaken, after the 10th round, teams can essentially offer what they want, given that they have room in their overall pool.

The Mets may have waited to draft him because they know there's not a great chance for him to sign but plan to throw money at him to see if it works.

Either way, I wouldn't read much into those tweets. He's just retweeting people who are congratulating him, and most of them are mentioning something about the Mets; it doesn't mean he's retweeting them because of the Mets mentions.

It's not as though he would immediately tweet, 'Thanks Mets, but I'm not signing with you'. I'm sure he wants to see their offer first, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say he'll be at State.

shoeless joe
06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
As a 40th rounder he has a lot more reasons to come here vs sign with them. But it all depends on what they send his way.

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 11:06 AM
It depends on how much they offer. If I'm not mistaken, after the 10th round, teams can essentially offer what they want, given that they have room in their overall pool.

The Mets may have waited to draft him because they know there's not a great chance for him to sign but plan to throw money at him to see if it works.

Either way, I wouldn't read much into those tweets. He's just retweeting people who are congratulating him, and most of them are mentioning something about the Mets; it doesn't mean he's retweeting them because of the Mets mentions.

It's not as though he would immediately tweet, 'Thanks Mets, but I'm not signing with you'. I'm sure he wants to see their offer first, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say he'll be at State.

Correct, any pick past the tenth rd can't receive more than 100k. OR it comes out of their pool money from the first ten rds. Or they can pay the penalty tax. I think, like u said, he's thanking them for drafting him.

MsStateBaseball
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Agree, those tweets are just excitement. If he does sign, means he had no intention of going to college in the first place. You can bet our coaches are beating the bushes right now for prospects for next year and beyond.

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Our coaches were worried about burdick for a while. Word was he was saying 5th rd money was enough. Either that wasn't the case or he wasn't as highly thought of in the eyes of scouts. He's a player. Looking forward to having him.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
After the tenth round, teams can only offer up to $100,000 without being penalized. The penalty for going over 100,000 is that the additional money over 100,000 comes out of the team's top ten round signing pool.

Each pick in the top top 10 rounds has a recommended slot attached to it. A team's top 10 round singing pool is the total of slots of the picks you possess in the top 10 rounds.

Thus teams can sign their 1st round pick for over slot, but then must sign another top 10 pick for under slot to make up the difference. That's why so many teams take good college seniors in the top 10 rounds, so they can sign them for under a lot to save money. Finally, If you don't sign a top 10 pick then you lose the money associated with that pick from your signing pool.

All this to say, Burdick won't be getting more than $100k unless the Mets save an awful lot of money in their top 10 round signings.

Dawg61
06-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Confused, you said the penalty for going over 100k is that you have to use top 10 signing pool money but then you said if you don't sign a top 10 round pick you lose that money. So if my 1st round pick doesn't sign I can't then use the allotted 3 mill to sign all my other picks? That sucks but I can see why they don't let you because it gives you great incentive to have a player not sign. Then you get another pick the next year and would have a bunch of money left over to use to sign your other picks. Guess MLB already found that loophole.

smootness
06-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Confused, you said the penalty for going over 100k is that you have to use top 10 signing pool money but then you said if you don't sign a top 10 round pick you lose that money. So if my 1st round pick doesn't sign I can't then use the allotted 3 mill to sign all my other picks? That sucks but I can see why they don't let you because it gives you great incentive to have a player not sign. Then you get another pick the next year and would have a bunch of money left over to use to sign your other picks. Guess MLB already found that loophole.

You are correct. You can sign a player for under slot and save money, but if you don't sign the player, you don't save any money toward the pool.

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
If you have 5 mill for example, for your pool money of top ten picks and spend 4.5 to sign them, you have 500k left to spend on picks past the tenth rd. and if you don't sign a player, you can't spend it elsewhere, you lose it. So your pool is 5 mil and 2 mil is for the first rounder, you still just have 3 million to sign the other 9 if he doesn't sign.

Johnson85
06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Random question:

Can you live off your 'salary' playing A ball? If somebody was indifferent towards school, a $100k signing bonus is pretty decent if that's in addition to pay that you can realistically live off of. Go try minor league ball for a contract or two and if not you have enough money to pay for more of college than a baseball scholarship would have provided. But if realistically, you have to dip into that $100k to survive through your first contract, then college starts to look a lot more attractive.

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
No. Remember, you only get paid the months you play. Start at 800 per month in short season to 1100max in A ball. The only decent living is when u get on the 40 man majoreague roster and get a better minor league deal. That's why 4 guys live together, otherwise, it's impossible to live on.

smootness
06-10-2014, 04:14 PM
No. Remember, you only get paid the months you play. Start at 800 per month in short season to 1100max in A ball. The only decent living is when u get on the 40 man majoreague roster and get a better minor league deal. That's why 4 guys live together, otherwise, it's impossible to live on.

Yeah, minor league baseball is really not a good deal. I knew a guy growing up who was drafted in the 4th round by the Braves and briefly made the major-league roster as a RP but spent most of his career in AA and AAA, and he still did not make much. He lives much better now that he's out of pro baseball.

Johnson85
06-10-2014, 04:58 PM

So how many years is the first contract? Is it a 4 year deal, where the player is basically looking at ~35k per year when signing bonus plus regular pay is taken into account?

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure I completely understands he question, but there is no first contract in the minors. It's signing bonus, less taxes of course, (and whatever money they piss away, new car etc,)and then year to year pay. Which is dependent on which level of baseball u are in. That yearly pay will be somewhere between 5k and 12k unless u are on the 40 man or have been in the minors for a while and are on salary. Not the norm. Anyway, unless U get to the bigs, or are a first rounder, you don't have much money when you are done, and most are obviously broke.

maroonmania
06-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Yeah, minor league baseball is really not a good deal. I knew a guy growing up who was drafted in the 4th round by the Braves and briefly made the major-league roster as a RP but spent most of his career in AA and AAA, and he still did not make much. He lives much better now that he's out of pro baseball.

I think that's the point. They DON'T want somebody actually making a living off of staying in the minors. You either keep moving on up and get into the bigs or get out. They are not wanting to support someone's livelihood long term in the minors.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Im guessing college tuition doesnt come with a 40th round pick.

BiscuitEater
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Minor league players just filled suit against MLB for 'unfair' pay.

Most earn between $3,000 and $7,500 for a five-month season. As a point of comparison, fast food workers typically earn between $15,000 and $18,000 a year, or about two or three times what minor league players make. Some minor leaguers, particularly those with families, hold other jobs during the offseason and occasionally during the season. While the minimum salary in Major League Baseball is $500,000, many minor league players earn less than the federal poverty level, which is $11,490 for a single person and $23,550 for a family of four.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140212/minor-league-baseball-players-lawsuit/#ixzz34HFjkvRy

maroonmania
06-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Minor league players just filled suit against MLB for 'unfair' pay.

Most earn between $3,000 and $7,500 for a five-month season. As a point of comparison, fast food workers typically earn between $15,000 and $18,000 a year, or about two or three times what minor league players make. Some minor leaguers, particularly those with families, hold other jobs during the offseason and occasionally during the season. While the minimum salary in Major League Baseball is $500,000, many minor league players earn less than the federal poverty level, which is $11,490 for a single person and $23,550 for a family of four.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140212/minor-league-baseball-players-lawsuit/#ixzz34HFjkvRy

Yep, I always think about the movie "The Rookie" of course based off the true story of Jim Morris and how hard it was on his family financially for him to chase his dream of making the majors just being in the minors for a fairly short time because the money you make is peanuts and in a case like his there was essentially no signing bonus.

Dawg61
06-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Don't they get a Per Diem that covers food and hotel and such so yes their pay sucks but you've got to add Per Diem into it too right?

TrueMaroon
06-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Our coaches were worried about burdick for a while. Word was he was saying 5th rd money was enough. Either that wasn't the case or he wasn't as highly thought of in the eyes of scouts. He's a player. Looking forward to having him.

You are partially right. He did want high money, but where you are wrong is that he wasnt highly thought of in the eyes of scouts. Theres a reason why he was drafted where he was and its not because he is a 40th round talent. We really need for them to sign all of their picks.

Homedawg
06-10-2014, 06:58 PM
You are partially right. He did want high money, but where you are wrong is that he wasnt highly thought of in the eyes of scouts. Theres a reason why he was drafted where he was and its not because he is a 40th round talent. We really need for them to sign all of their picks.

Re read my post, I said OR wasn't. Not that he wasn't. I was letting you read between the lines. He was a top ten rd talent I know...I've said in numerous previous posts that our coaches were nervous we would lose him.