PDA

View Full Version : Summer baseball thoughts

Todd4State
06-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Garner has gotten a lot of credit, but I want to recognize some of our other players that are doing well. I like Garner, but he shouldn't be glorified because someone has a misguided agenda of self-promotion.

Some of this is going to be just my two cents because some of these guys haven't started and it's also extremely early.

Summer Leagues in college vary. As most of you know, the Cape Cod League is the best/most desired league and along with that is the Team USA collegiate National Team. Then there are some other leagues that are not as prominent, some that are geared more towards freshmen, and then even beyond that there are some relatively obscure summer leagues like the Cotton State League in Mississippi. The main idea of these leagues depends as well. If you're on Team USA or playing in the Cape, you're trying to make a name for yourself in front of scouts whereas some of the other leagues like the Great Lakes League you're talking about mainly freshmen trying to improve and get quality at bats and innings that they didn't get a lot of as freshmen.

So, without further adieu:

Ross and Trevor Fitts are going to rest this summer. Ross basically was breaking down and really he needs to get stronger more than anything. Really both of those guys don't have a lot to prove so resting is probably a smart thing. Luke Laster has really come such a long way from almost getting taken off the 35 man roster, to winning the Governor's Cup and now he's pitching for the Bourne Braves in the Cape Cod League. I'm going to try to find out what the status of Preston Brown is as far as surgery on his shoulder, but to no one's surprise he is not going to pitch this summer.

The big four freshmen- Dakota Hudson and Vance Tatum are going to pitch for Chal Fanning AKA the baseball whisperer. Almost everyone we have sent to him has made big strides the next year. Adam Frazier, Chad Girodo, Trevor Fitts, and Caleb Reed are among his pupils. He also recommended Alex Detz to us as well. He's like Yoda. Austin Sexton will pitch in the Great Lakes League which is for freshmen and then Zac Houston will be pitching in New England in Plymouth. This quartet is going to be closely watched by me because they could be VERY key to our season next year. And we need guys to step up before they are juniors.

Redshirt freshmen pitching surprises? Avery Geyer is off to a good start for the baseball whisperer with 11 K's and 3 BB's despite an ERA of 4.70 in 7 IP. Jacob Billingsley has been dominant in the Cal Ripken League with 10 K's and 1 BB in around 10 IP to go along with an ERA of 0.00.

Myles Gentry will also be pitching in the Cape Cod League for the Wareham Gatemen.

Gavin Collins is already playing in the Cape as a freshman. He will have a chance to make Team USA next year more than likely. Cody Walker will be playing in California and I have heard rumors that Zach Randolph might play in the Cotton State League.

One of the hot topics is the demand that Wes Rea play summer baseball. Well, that was answered today as he will be joining the same team that Hunter Renfroe played for in the Cape Ripken League. Let's hope the results are similar, but I'll take an improvement over last year. Rea hasn't started yet, but no doubt his summer will be closely monitored.

Seth Heck is playing in the Northwoods League, and I expect him to do pretty well since he is older for that league and he is an All-SEC contender at SS/2B. I'm not too worried about him, but it will be good for him to get AB's and maybe he can also play some 2B as well as SS in case he is moved. He's already hitting .500 as it is.

Matthew Britton is in the Cape, and I'm going to keep an eye on his summer. He is playing for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. I'm hoping he improves his hitting, and him getting quality AB's with wood bats against that level of competition will benefit him.

Lost in all the Daniel Garner hoopla is his teammate, freshman Dylan Ingram who redshirted last year, and is hitting better than Garner right now at .571 with a double. He's off to a fast start, so maybe keep an eye on him.

Most of the expected outfielders haven't started yet. Reid Humphreys is playing for the baseball whisperer. Cody Brown is on Wes Rea's team in Bethesda MD, and then Jake Vickerson is playing in California. Jacob Robson will be recovering from elbow/nerve surgery this offseason. I'm expecting him back in the fall at some point. And then there are the outfield wild cards. Brent Rooker started off hitting .200 but then delievered a home run tonight for his team in the New England League. And Joey Swinarski is off to a slow start in the same league in New England hitting .167.

And then there is Daniel Garner. No doubt he is off to the best start of the summer and has already hit 2 home runs while hitting .400 for his team in the Great Lakes League.

So, for the most part the guys that have actually started playing are off to fast starts. Obviously it's a small sample size at this point- but it's also not a bad thing either to get off to a fast start. It certainly gives me hope that my thoughts about us being better offensively will indeed be true. I'm ready to get back out there for the fall and start the process again already!

I seen it dawg
06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Great update Todd. If not too much trouble could you get this info out about once a week?

Also Hudson and Tatum need to be Fri/Sat starters in SEC next yr. huge summer for them.

msstate7
06-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Was hoping fitts would pitch somewhere and learn to pace himself. Hopefully he's doing strength training/endurance somewhere. If he's gonna continue to start, we need more innings out of him

bulldogcountry1
06-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm curious to see who will be Girodo, Volume III. We don't really have many candidates that fit the criteria of an upperclassman, so I'll pick Gentry.

Where is Garner playing, defensively?

I'm a bit surprised to see both Walker and Randolph with the team, assuming they still are. I figured one would have left, but since Vallot signed, I guess that frees up a spot for now.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Was hoping fitts would pitch somewhere and learn to pace himself. Hopefully he's doing strength training/endurance somewhere. If he's gonna continue to start, we need more innings out of him

With more offense, he should go longer. I think they took him out early many times bc we were in a tight game, with a bad offense, and Lindgren in the pen with no guaranteed action Sat or Sun. I may be wrong but I thought he could have easily given us 5-6 per start with a little run support

CadaverDawg
06-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm curious to see who will be Girodo, Volume III. We don't really have many candidates that fit the criteria of an upperclassman, so I'll pick Gentry.

Where is Garner playing, defensively?

I'm a bit surprised to see both Walker and Randolph with the team, assuming they still are. I figured one would have left, but since Vallot signed, I guess that frees up a spot for now.

Tatum could be a starter version of Girodo IMO.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Great stuff Todd. Where is the best places to keep up with summer games, players, stats?

Goat Holder
06-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Garner has gotten a lot of credit, but I want to recognize some of our other players that are doing well. I like Garner, but he shouldn't be glorified because someone has a misguided agenda of self-promotion.

What are you talking about?

SouthMsDawg
06-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Any idea where our IF signed John Holland is playing.

KB21
06-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Some of this is going to be just my two cents because some of these guys haven't started and it's also extremely early.

Summer Leagues in college vary. As most of you know, the Cape Cod League is the best/most desired league and along with that is the Team USA collegiate National Team. Then there are some other leagues that are not as prominent, some that are geared more towards freshmen, and then even beyond that there are some relatively obscure summer leagues like the Cotton State League in Mississippi. The main idea of these leagues depends as well. If you're on Team USA or playing in the Cape, you're trying to make a name for yourself in front of scouts whereas some of the other leagues like the Great Lakes League you're talking about mainly freshmen trying to improve and get quality at bats and innings that they didn't get a lot of as freshmen.

So, without further adieu:

Ross and Trevor Fitts are going to rest this summer. Ross basically was breaking down and really he needs to get stronger more than anything. Really both of those guys don't have a lot to prove so resting is probably a smart thing. Luke Laster has really come such a long way from almost getting taken off the 35 man roster, to winning the Governor's Cup and now he's pitching for the Bourne Braves in the Cape Cod League. I'm going to try to find out what the status of Preston Brown is as far as surgery on his shoulder, but to no one's surprise he is not going to pitch this summer.

The big four freshmen- Dakota Hudson and Vance Tatum are going to pitch for Chal Fanning AKA the baseball whisperer. Almost everyone we have sent to him has made big strides the next year. Adam Frazier, Chad Girodo, Trevor Fitts, and Caleb Reed are among his pupils. He also recommended Alex Detz to us as well. He's like Yoda. Austin Sexton will pitch in the Great Lakes League which is for freshmen and then Zac Houston will be pitching in New England in Plymouth. This quartet is going to be closely watched by me because they could be VERY key to our season next year. And we need guys to step up before they are juniors.

Redshirt freshmen pitching surprises? Avery Geyer is off to a good start for the baseball whisperer with 11 K's and 3 BB's despite an ERA of 4.70 in 7 IP. Jacob Billingsley has been dominant in the Cal Ripken League with 10 K's and 1 BB in around 10 IP to go along with an ERA of 0.00.

Myles Gentry will also be pitching in the Cape Cod League for the Wareham Gatemen.

Gavin Collins is already playing in the Cape as a freshman. He will have a chance to make Team USA next year more than likely. Cody Walker will be playing in California and I have heard rumors that Zach Randolph might play in the Cotton State League.

One of the hot topics is the demand that Wes Rea play summer baseball. Well, that was answered today as he will be joining the same team that Hunter Renfroe played for in the Cape Ripken League. Let's hope the results are similar, but I'll take an improvement over last year. Rea hasn't started yet, but no doubt his summer will be closely monitored.

Seth Heck is playing in the Northwoods League, and I expect him to do pretty well since he is older for that league and he is an All-SEC contender at SS/2B. I'm not too worried about him, but it will be good for him to get AB's and maybe he can also play some 2B as well as SS in case he is moved. He's already hitting .500 as it is.

Matthew Britton is in the Cape, and I'm going to keep an eye on his summer. He is playing for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. I'm hoping he improves his hitting, and him getting quality AB's with wood bats against that level of competition will benefit him.

Lost in all the Daniel Garner hoopla is his teammate, freshman Dylan Ingram who redshirted last year, and is hitting better than Garner right now at .571 with a double. He's off to a fast start, so maybe keep an eye on him.

Most of the expected outfielders haven't started yet. Reid Humphreys is playing for the baseball whisperer. Cody Brown is on Wes Rea's team in Bethesda MD, and then Jake Vickerson is playing in California. Jacob Robson will be recovering from elbow/nerve surgery this offseason. I'm expecting him back in the fall at some point. And then there are the outfield wild cards. Brent Rooker started off hitting .200 but then delievered a home run tonight for his team in the New England League. And Joey Swinarski is off to a slow start in the same league in New England hitting .167.

And then there is Daniel Garner. No doubt he is off to the best start of the summer and has already hit 2 home runs while hitting .400 for his team in the Great Lakes League.

So, for the most part the guys that have actually started playing are off to fast starts. Obviously it's a small sample size at this point- but it's also not a bad thing either to get off to a fast start. It certainly gives me hope that my thoughts about us being better offensively will indeed be true. I'm ready to get back out there for the fall and start the process again already!

Update. Garner hit his 3rd home run of the summer league last night. He is now 3 for 9 with 3 home runs and 0 strike outs.

I think you are on the mark with the idea that the key to next season may be in the four freshmen pitchers -- Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum, Austin Sexton, and Zac Houston. In the past, when we have seen guys make a jump, it is usually between their sophomore and junior seasons, or their 2nd and 3rd seasons on campus. Chris Stratton made his jump going into his junior year. Jacob Lindgren made his jump going into his junior year. Even from a hitting standpoint, Hunter Renfroe made a big jump going into his junior year.

IMO, we are a better team next year if two of these freshmen can make a jump and be weekend starters. If we are in a position where we can put Ross Mitchell back into the bullpen and have him as the main lefty, we are a better team.

Of note, Daniel Garner will be going into his 3rd season on campus. I anticipate that he will make that jump and become the hitter we though he was capable of being when he was being recruited.

KB21
06-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Definitely! Trevor needs to become a 100-110 inning guy or become a long man out of the pen, IMO.