PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss to Omaha

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
It's about damn time. Now we expect you guys to lose out ASAP, but, in all seriousness, this furthers the greatness of Mississippi college baseball.

I don't have near the hate for Ole Miss baseball as I do for Ole Miss football, because baseball is a sport that no one cheats at, and therefore I know that you have earned it without cheating the system like you do so often in football.

Congrats, and remember that baseball doesn't matter.

RIdog
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Plus , you gotta remember at least half the people in the country don't know the difference in us and them , and we'll get credit for back to back appearances ...

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
baseball is a sport that no one cheats at

Pine tar on the hat notwithstanding

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Plus , you gotta remember at least half the people in the country don't know the difference in us and them , and we'll get credit for back to back appearances ...

This is a good point. We'll get credit for going to the CWS again.

messageboardsuperhero
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Their team no doubt earned this- and outside of some of the ridiculous/showboat celebrations after winning games in their regional, it's an easy team to admire. You can tell those players stepped worked their asses off last offseason. They have way more stones than any other Bianco team I've ever seen. I obviously don't like that UM is going to Omaha, but we all knew it was happening eventually. I sure as hell enjoyed the 42 year O.M.A.H.A. drought though.

That being said, I hope this absolutely lights a fire under our coach's/player's asses like it did when they saw us go last year. I know Cohen is probably pissed right about now- hopefully he translates that competitiveness into next year. We need to have guys step up and deliver.

And yes, go UVA.

monroedawg5646
06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
All I ask out of you Rebel lurkers is to have some class about finally making it. I mean act like you been there before. Wait........nevermind

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Sorry I had to edit the thread title slightly. Sorry shotgun I just couldn't stomach a congrats to them in the thread title

Sam&DeansDawg
06-09-2014, 10:34 PM
If they play the way they did tonight Virginia won't have a chance.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 10:35 PM
As much as I hate them making it at least I'll be able to watch a couple more games of college baseball. If OM lost tonight, I wouldn't have watched any more this year. Hope I see 2 more blow outs and put a nail in this disappointing college baseball season.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM

You must not have watched the draft. No one is more talented than Virginia

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
If they play like they did tonite Virginia will beat their ass.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 10:42 PM
If they play like they did tonite Virginia will beat their ass.

Yeah but the way things seem to be going this year Virginia will bring their D game and Ole Miss will win when an outfielder trips on a hot dog that someone threw on the field during the game.

messageboardsuperhero
06-09-2014, 10:43 PM

I wouldn't say that at all. Virginia is AT LEAST as good as UM/ULL offensively, and their pitching is lightyears better than ULL's.

That being said, I could see them making noise in Omaha. Their front line pitching has been very solid (despite some statistical irregularity), and that's really all that matters with the current CWS format with all those off days.

Then again, pretty much all of those home runs will be warning track fly balls though- and it'll be interesting to see what they do against a pitching staff that doesn't give 10 free passes each game. I could also see their defense letting them down as well.

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Yeah but the way things seem to be going this year Virginia will bring their D game and Ole Miss will win when an outfielder trips on a hot dog that someone threw on the field during the game.

Yeah that damn sure wouldn't surprise me either.

Sam&DeansDawg
06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
You must not have watched the draft. No one is more talented than Virginia

Didn't OM get like 8 guys drafted? Either way, if you control the other teams mind in the end of the game 9/10 times you will win.
I'm just glad our program and their program are putting Mississippi on the map 2 years in a row.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
I always figured that if Ole Miss was ever going to go to Omaha, it would be by beating a mid major. Mid-majors don't have the pitching depth to hang with a SEC team. Unfortunately, I was right about that.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
if you control the other teams mind in the end of the game 9/10 times you will win.

Well thats a new one

messageboardsuperhero
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM

When you look deeply at their pitching peripherals, there is a lot of weird shit going on.

UM's LOB% is well above the league average, but their K numbers are pretty mediocre and their BABIP is pretty much league average. In other words, teams are putting the ball in play with men on base, but the balls are finding gloves. It would be really interesting to see their BABIP splits with men on base- because I'd bet money that their BABIP with men on base is inexplicably significantly lower than their BABIP with no one on.

I call it the 2013 Shelby Miller anomaly- and everyone sees how that's worked out for him this year.

ETA: One thing the UM pitchers do a good job of though is not giving up any free passes. They make you earn everything, and that's a huge plus in college baseball.

messageboardsuperhero
06-09-2014, 10:54 PM
I always figured that if Ole Miss was ever going to go to Omaha, it would be by beating a mid major. Mid-majors don't have the pitching depth to hang with a SEC team. Unfortunately, I was right about that.

And yes, UM will see much better pitching in Omaha than they did this weekend.

dawgclub99
06-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Had enough to beat us two straight games.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Didn't OM get like 8 guys drafted? Either way, if you control the other teams mind in the end of the game 9/10 times you will win.
I'm just glad our program and their program are putting Mississippi on the map 2 years in a row.

They have a ton of seniors. I might be mistaken, but I think Orvis redshirted so he's at least a three year maybe four year guy as well. They sucked as juniors- they had almost the exact same batting average we did this year- and so they all came back. They also have a ton of juniors and they play no more than three freshmen at a time ever. Ellis was also hurt as well last year.

In other words, our seasons basically flipped in many ways. Even though Orvis and probably Trent will be back, they are going to lose a TON of talent and experience from this year's team.

It's also sort of the opposite for us too- next year we return most everybody and will have a lot of seniors. Yes, we have a few question marks, but so does everyone else at this time. But most of our question marks are who is going to be who does what in the bullpen? I think our players are going to be really motivated to do well next year. The lessons have been learned.

messageboardsuperhero
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM

And that just further proves how shitty we were offensively this year.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Virginia had 8 (3 1st rounders)

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM

They had enough to beat a hurt Ross and we didn't hit all that well in case you didn't notice- which you probably didn't since you cheer for Ole Miss.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 11:04 PM
And that just further proves how shitty we were offensively this year.

Exactly. We didn't have the home run dimension this year at all. And barely had the extra base hit dimension as well.

State82
06-09-2014, 11:10 PM

Delta State has enough pitching to beat us two straight.

BulldogBear
06-09-2014, 11:36 PM

Nope. That's not how this works. OLE MISS will get credit for back to back appearances after their heartbreaking loss to UCLA in last year's championship series. We get mistaken for them not the other way around.

Dawgface
06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
17um.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2014, 07:29 AM

What?

msstate7
06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
What?

http://s15.postimg.org/uogazyrwn/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/uogazyrwn/)

You're getting very sleepy...