PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sterling will NOT agree to sell team

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
ESPN must be foaming at the mouth for this story to carry them until football season.

He will reinstall his one billion dollar lawsuit. Changed his mind on selling because league won't lift his lifetime ban.

Idiot!! 2 Billion for that franchise is the ultimate overpay!

Bark
06-09-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't blame him.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 09:09 PM
ESPN must be foaming at the mouth for this story to carry them until football season.

He will reinstall his one billion dollar lawsuit. Changed his mind on selling because league won't lift his lifetime ban.

Somehow I doubt sterling is hurting for money. Appears he'd rather have his pride than more money.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 09:17 PM
I don't blame him.

He won't be forced to sell the team, that is for certain. That "owner vote" doesn't legally apply here. I don't "blame" him either because the Clippers are HIS, but "everything is for sell at the right price" and 2B for that franchise........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamOfuu8OaE

Quaoarsking
06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
There have been reports that he's getting senile for real. Might explain the racist outburst and/or the changing his mind on whether to sell the team.

TUSK
06-09-2014, 09:30 PM
good for him... this is gonna be fun....

mparkerfd20
06-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't blame him.

Me either.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Me either.

What a damn idiot. 2 billion for the fckin Clippers. Sell them and go buy an island.

codeDawg
06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
It doesn't matter. He's already been declared incompetent. The wife has already indemnified the NBA against lawsuits, including those from Donald, so he would be suing himself. It's over. He should enjoy his money in a way that doesn't stress out an old man with a degenerative and incurable disease.

Dawg61
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
What a damn idiot. 2 billion for the fckin Clippers. Sell them and go buy an island.

Watch him get $1 billion from the NBA AND $2 billion from selling the Clippers and then have to pay it all back for taxes and fees. Grabbing popcorn

Martianlander
06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
It's fun to see a bunch of super rich guys mud wrestle.

Johnson85
06-10-2014, 08:02 AM

He's got more money than he can feasibly enjoy. Another liquid $2B doesn't give him to the same status that owning the clippers gives him and I don't see another likely option for him to turn that $2B into a similar gig. Nobody is going to let him buy another professional sports team in the U.S., much less one in one of the two premier markets.

quickstrike2
06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Good for him, make the NBA work for it. I don't uphold anything he said, but what is said on a private conversation is his business, and its his privately owned team.

smootness
06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Good for him, make the NBA work for it. I don't uphold anything he said, but what is said on a private conversation is his business, and its his privately owned team.

...within a league that technically owns the team.

Donald Sterling is a franchise owner. The league can tell him to get out if they want to do so, and they have done so. He is hurting the product. You may applaud him for the fight, but he's going to lose it, this is pointless for him.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
There have been reports that he's getting senile for real. Might explain the racist outburst and/or the changing his mind on whether to sell the team.

I would summit that there are ver few people in this country who has not once in their life said something racial. He will win his law suit. If he was out in public doing it then the NBA might have a case but he said this in private.

smootness
06-10-2014, 09:13 AM
I would summit that there are ver few people in this country who has not once in their life said something racial. He will win his law suit. If he was out in public doing it then the NBA might have a case but he said this in private.

It doesn't matter. The NBA did not record his private conversations and then use them against him. It was a private conversation that was made public through no fault of the NBA, and it is hurting their product. They absolutely are within their rights to vote him out according to their constitution.

I've used this analogy before, but let's say you talk to one of your co-workers and badmouth one of your clients. Let's say that co-worker records the conversation and sends it to your clients. While the co-worker is undoubtedly going to be let go, you will lose your job as well. Your company is within their rights to terminate you for conduct detrimental to the business, regardless of where the conversation initially took place.

'I said that in private' is not a defense, except potentially in a criminal trial or in a case in which the entity themselves is the one who records you.

If the NBA had recorded him, then made it public, then the NBA would be at fault for hurting their business. As it is, those at fault are Sterling and Stiviano.

Shoot, the NBA could vote you out if simply no one would sign with your team for seemingly no reason at all. If your can't sign anyone in FA and the product on the court suffers greatly, they can vote you out for that reason alone.

quickstrike2
06-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Donald Sterling is a franchise owner. The league can tell him to get out if they want to do so, and they have done so. He is hurting the product. You may applaud him for the fight, but he's going to lose it, this is pointless for him.

He can't win, but he has enough money and pride to fight it. I like seeing the higher powers have to squirm sometimes.

drunkernhelldawg
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
The extreme sanctimony of the ears-burning crowd is damned hard to stomach. I hope to never experience it when I'm standing on a bridge.

smootness
06-10-2014, 09:23 AM
He can't win, but he has enough money and pride to fight it. I like seeing the higher powers have to squirm sometimes.

But Donald Sterling is a higher power. It's not like he's sticking it to 'the man'. He is the man.

MidTNDawg
06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
, and it is hurting their product.

Really?

HereComesTheSpiral
06-10-2014, 09:47 AM

I honestly think this is fun for him and he would rather see the franchise burned to the ground.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2014, 10:02 AM
It doesn't matter. The NBA did not record his private conversations and then use them against him. It was a private conversation that was made public through no fault of the NBA, and it is hurting their product. They absolutely are within their rights to vote him out according to their constitution.

I've used this analogy before, but let's say you talk to one of your co-workers and badmouth one of your clients. Let's say that co-worker records the conversation and sends it to your clients. While the co-worker is undoubtedly going to be let go, you will lose your job as well. Your company is within their rights to terminate you for conduct detrimental to the business, regardless of where the conversation initially took place.

'I said that in private' is not a defense, except potentially in a criminal trial or in a case in which the entity themselves is the one who records you.

If the NBA had recorded him, then made it public, then the NBA would be at fault for hurting their business. As it is, those at fault are Sterling and Stiviano.

Shoot, the NBA could vote you out if simply no one would sign with your team for seemingly no reason at all. If your can't sign anyone in FA and the product on the court suffers greatly, they can vote you out for that reason alone.

You got a point but it did not hurt the NBA. It is foolish to think so. I just don't see any court ruling aginst him. Even if it does if he carries it on up to higher court and sooner or later one of the courts is going to agree with him. He has his privacy. If you can't talk opening in your private house we lose this country. Hell even the police have to get the courts permission to wire tap phones, houses and to look at emails and so on. This was not done in this case. I think the conversation could get tossed out.

codeDawg
06-10-2014, 10:24 AM
I just hope that if I am lucky enough to be old and know the disease that is likely to take me, I know the difference between fighting over things that don't matter and enjoying the rest of my life with the people I love.

I doubt he will get an injunction to prevent the sale. He's already been declared incompetent, so from there he'll be fighting for damages which he will never see. This is a fight over principals, not practicality. He has already alienated himself from the league, the players, his "girlfriend", and his wife. Now it's just a sad old man lashing out against the world that is tired of his track record of selfishness and discrimination.

codeDawg
06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
You got a point but it did not hurt the NBA. It is foolish to think so. I just don't see any court ruling aginst him. Even if it does if he carries it on up to higher court and sooner or later one of the courts is going to agree with him. He has his privacy. If you can't talk opening in your private house we lose this country. Hell even the police have to get the courts permission to wire tap phones, houses and to look at emails and so on. This was not done in this case. I think the conversation could get tossed out.

It certainly hurt the NBA. The players were about to walk out. Advertisers were pulling support. This was a direct result of the NBA catering to their sources of production and revenue.

The actual recording is not important. The resulting threat of damages in connection with the scandal are. The NBA does not have to have some sort of legal violation happening to pull his franchise. It's not like a building you own independently. There are terms to that franchise with protections in place for the larger NBA. Also, he does not personally own the team, the trust that he and Shelly own together own it. The terms of that trust state that if he is found incompetent, Shelly can do whatever. He was, and Shelly has chosen to sell.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2014, 11:04 AM
It certainly hurt the NBA. The players were about to walk out. Advertisers were pulling support. This was a direct result of the NBA catering to their sources of production and revenue.

The actual recording is not important. The resulting threat of damages in connection with the scandal are. The NBA does not have to have some sort of legal violation happening to pull his franchise. It's not like a building you own independently. There are terms to that franchise with protections in place for the larger NBA. Also, he does not personally own the team, the trust that he and Shelly own together own it. The terms of that trust state that if he is found incompetent, Shelly can do whatever. He was, and Shelly has chosen to sell.

Sorry that is just bull crap. They make too much money. The playere were blowing smoke.

A lawyer will make all the hay he wants out of this case. There is a rule of Law or Freedom of speech. If he was on official NBA business in any compacity I would agree but you have some privacy in your own home to say what you want and that is where he said what he said. I just don't see any court ruling against that. Do I think he is a rich butt? Yes I do but I think every one should have privacy in their own home and I just feel one of the higher courts will agree.

quickstrike2
06-10-2014, 11:05 AM
But Donald Sterling is a higher power. It's not like he's sticking it to 'the man'. He is the man.

He is not "the man" if in the end he is forced to sell his own team against his will, so someone is higher than him. No doubt he is a rich powerful guy.