PDA

View Full Version : Garner

TheRef
06-09-2014, 08:20 PM
3 HR in 3 games. A 2-run dinger this game.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 08:21 PM
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but..... He's supposed to be striking out!

esplanade91
06-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Same team that Renfroe got his number retired with, right?

CadaverDawg
06-09-2014, 08:22 PM
3 HR in 3 games. A 2-run dinger this game.

Wow. Either he's a stud or they're playing on a tee ball field. What's he doing when he's not homering?

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 08:24 PM
So Garner will be Renfroe at the dish next year.

Mississippi State. Where you get one good year from power hitters.

smootness
06-09-2014, 08:32 PM
So Garner will be Renfroe at the dish next year.

Mississippi State. Where you get one good year from power hitters.

You're so stupid. Renfroe was a starter his sophomore year and did pretty much nothing...which is likely what we would have gotten from Garner, considering what he did in his small sample.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 08:37 PM
You're so stupid. Renfroe was a starter his sophomore year and did pretty much nothing...which is likely what we would have gotten from Garner, considering what he did in his small sample.

I hope he hits 28 HR in 28 games and we get your input each day.

Homedawg
06-09-2014, 08:46 PM

I hope he does great next year. But he's playing summer BALL that isn't the cape! I just watched him be the punch out king. For some dipshit that bases the world on stats your love for garner, can't see the damn forest for the trees!

Homedawg
06-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I hope he hits 28 HR in 28 games and we get your input each day.

Well we know we will get yours. Unless he sucks and u will crawl in the proverbial hole- but only momentarily for us unfortunately.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I hope he does great next year. But he's playing summer BALL that isn't the cape! I just watched him be the punch out king. For some dipshit that bases the world on stats your love for garner, can't see the damn forest for the trees!

Seemed to work out ok for Seth Heck, Alex Detz, Jacob Lindgren....

Homedawg
06-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Seemed to work out ok for Seth Heck, Alex Detz, Jacob Lindgren....

What did? Playing summer ball?

preachermatt83
06-09-2014, 08:52 PM

if you listen to some of these clowns that's all he can do.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 08:56 PM
What did? Playing summer ball?

No, getting my vote of confidence

Homedawg
06-09-2014, 08:58 PM
if you listen to some of these clowns that's all he can do.

Wonderful, I'm glad you are w him and base his performance on what he does against po dunk u pitcher, not what he ACTUALLY did on the field here!! Congrats. You've now joined a new class.

preachermatt83
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Wonderful, I'm glad you are w him and base his performance on what he does against po dunk u pitcher, not what he ACTUALLY did on the field here!! Congrats. You've now joined a new class.

you are an idiot

Homedawg
06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
you are an idiot
And clearly you are are will James clone. Congrats.

JSmithDawg
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM

First off, you're an idiot. I saw on twitter that in Garners pinch hit ABs this year he hit over .385. Cohen should regret not playing him more. ULL's field is a porch and one swing of the bat could've changed the whole series and they could still be playing. The guy can swing it. There's a reason he was hitting 4th in the lineup in the first SEC series vs GA. He was our leading hitter going into SEC play (batting average) if i remember correctly, and cohen didn't give him enough chances to stay in the lineup after a few bad games. Shit, Rea had to go 0-22 with 16 Ks before he got yanked. That small ball stuff might work every now and then but when it comes down to it, theres gotta be at least 2 guys in the lineup that can hit a homer cause they change the momentum of ballgames. Last year renfroe was that guy. Name one MLB team that doesn't have a big time power hitting threat in their lineup...

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Congratulations preacher on what can only be taken as a compliment

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 10:13 PM
First off, you're an idiot. I saw on twitter that in Garners pinch hit ABs this year he hit over .385. Cohen should regret not playing him more. ULL's field is a porch and one swing of the bat could've changed the whole series and they could still be playing. The guy can swing it. There's a reason he was hitting 4th in the lineup in the first SEC series vs GA. He was our leading hitter going into SEC play (batting average) if i remember correctly, and cohen didn't give him enough chances to stay in the lineup after a few bad games. Shit, Rea had to go 0-22 with 16 Ks before he got yanked. That small ball stuff might work every now and then but when it comes down to it, theres gotta be at least 2 guys in the lineup that can hit a homer cause they change the momentum of ballgames. Last year renfroe was that guy. Name one MLB team that doesn't have a big time power hitting threat in their lineup...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha and he's responding to ME? ME?

Read for ONE DAY, no ONE HOUR, before posting

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 10:14 PM

Lol glad you found the site. In the same post you are spot on with your first statement and then agree wholeheartedly with the poster you accosted. Great job.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Lol glad you found the site. In the same post you are spot on with your first statement and then agree wholeheartedly with the poster you accosted. Great job.

Haha

Dawg61
06-09-2014, 10:24 PM
San Diego Padres but I get your point

HereComesTheSpiral
06-09-2014, 10:26 PM
We need to stop the shit of living vicariously through these players. We have a guy who looks to be "getting it." ****ing congratulate him and move the **** on. He didnt play a lot last year, so the **** what. If youre pissed about it, then wipe the sand out of your cockhole and get ready for next season.

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
We need to stop the shit of living vicariously through these players. We have a guy who looks to be "getting it." ****ing congratulate him and move the **** on. He didnt play a lot last year, so the **** what. If youre pissed about it, then wipe the sand out of your cockhole and get ready for next season.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Amen.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Through 11 Plate Appearances this summer Garner has zero (0) strikeouts. Since smootness likes small sample sizes, he can probably infer that Garner will not K all summer.

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Haha. Dumbass

dawgoneyall
06-09-2014, 10:56 PM
He should have played much more this year. This is simple stuff.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Through 11 Plate Appearances this summer Garner has zero (0) strikeouts. Since smootness likes small sample sizes, he can probably infer that Garner will not K all summer.

If you think that freshman league summer ball pitching = SEC pitching, you're wrong. Just like when you try to use fall ball stats in your argument. That's like using spring training stats with MLB players.

Secondly, Garner GOT chances to hit SEC pitching last year- and he struck out literally almost every single time he went up to the plate. And the "let him hit and he'll get in a groove" argument is stupid because we had several players that didn't get just a ton of playing time like Reid Humphreys and almost all of them outperformed Garner in SEC play.

Lastly, Garner is doing what he is supposed to be doing. He's getting quality at bats and he's learning. Kudos to him. But last year he simply wasn't ready. Because he's progressing like he's supposed to NOW doesn't make you right THEN. That's basically like saying Cohen should have played Hunter Renfroe more as a freshman when he was hitting .100 because look at how good he is as a junior.

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
He should have played much more this year. This is simple stuff.

Again, he struck out almost every time he went to the plate in SEC play. Apparently it isn't simple stuff.

He had ONE hit in SEC play. And that was a ball that was about an inch from being caught by the Tennessee outfielder. He almost went 0 for SEC play.

Pioneer Dawg
06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Garner played catcher in his last game.

Tonight's Lima Locos game rained out.

smootness
06-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Haha, the reality is, college baseball as a whole is essentially a small sample size. It's much harder to use Bill James' principles when evaluating college baseball players because a manager has to make decisions based much more on what someone is doing now.

If Garner was a junior with a history of hitting in the SEC, saying 'it was a small sample size' would have more legitimacy. But he had no history to fall back on, so Cohen had to make decisions based on what he had seen. And what he had seen to that point was not good.

What happens if Cohen decides it's a small sample size, he has talent, he'll hit his way out of it, he starts him for a month straight, and Garner continues to do exactly what he had been doing? Then State loses games. At what point can you no longer assume he'll hit his way out?

Again, say Collins next year starts out much like Garner did this year in SEC play. I would be much more ok with giving him time to get out of the slump, or to let the averages play out, because he has proven he can hit SEC pitching. Garner still has not. He obviously has a lot of talent, but we don't know when that talent will manifest itself into a good SEC hitter; he has to do it before it's assumed he will do it.

You're making at least as many assumptions as you claim others are making. You think it's absurd to assume Garner would keep striking out based on fall stats. Well, I think it's insane to assume he would eventually become a fearsome hitter based on the fact that he's never done that on an SEC level.