PDA

View Full Version : Woody not going Cape Cod; Rea playing Summer Ball

TheRef
06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Per Michael Bonner:

Michael Bonner
@MikeBBonner
Been told Brandon Woodruff won't play in the Cape Cod League this summer. Looks like he's headed pro. Also Wes Rea will play summer ball.

1:34pm ? 9 Jun 2014 ? Twitter Web Client

MarketingBully01
06-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Good deal. Kind of figured Woody would skip summer ball since he basically stated he would sign. Glad Rea is going to do summer ball. We need him next year.

Pioneer Dawg
06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Where's Rea playing?

msstate7
06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Really glad Wes is putting in work this summer. Hopefully this year is the fuel he needs to turn in a big year next season.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Attaboy Wes. Get out there and earn you some cash Big Fella.

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 02:23 PM
So does he still get to have a jersey or is he going there to learn to coach**

sandwolf
06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
How do kids afford summer ball? Who houses, feeds, clothes, etc. them?

smootness
06-09-2014, 02:54 PM
How do kids afford summer ball? Who houses, feeds, clothes, etc. them?

They apparently stay at volunteer houses and get bussed to road games. So I'm guessing the host homes feed them as well.

Who clothes them? Uh...I would guess the same person that clothes them the rest of the year...

War Machine Dawg
06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Excellent news regarding Rea. Hopefully he gets the kinks worked out and can come back as the offense force we think he's capable of being.

DawgSaint
06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Gald to know Wes is playing summer ball. I honesty thought he may not be back.

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Gald to know Wes is playing summer ball. I honesty thought he may not be back.

That just doesn't make any sense to me. Where the hell would our home run leader go

bulldogcountry1
06-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I was thinking he needed to take the summer off to regroup**

I believe he will take a big step. Not a Renfroe step, but improve as a leader and give us some consistent power in the middle of the lineup.

sandwolf
06-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Who clothes them? Uh...I would guess the same person that clothes them the rest of the year...

I guess clothing wasn't the best example. What I was asking is who covers their expenses (aside from housing and meals). I know my parents wouldn't have financed that for me.....they would have expected me to have a job during the summers. Even if the summer expenses are minimal, that was when I worked to help cover expenses during the school year. It would be one thing if the baseball players were all on full rides, like the football players are......but from what I understand, very few baseball players get a full ride.

smootness
06-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I guess clothing wasn't the best example. What I was asking is who covers their expenses (aside from housing and meals). I know my parents wouldn't have financed that for me.....they would have expected me to have a job during the summers. Even if the summer expenses are minimal, that was when I worked to help cover expenses during the school year. It would be one thing if the baseball players were all on full rides, like the football players are......but from what I understand, very few baseball players get a full ride.

I did a little more reading on it, and apparently it does cost between $500-600 per summer for some of these leagues, mostly for travel expenses. And apparently some players do some things for the team itself to work off the expenses, and others do get a summer job, though this seems pretty difficult with the amount of games they play.

The scholarship situation itself lends me to believe that a lot of these kids' families are paying for quite a bit out of pocket; so an extra 500-600 for most of them, knowing they're investing in their kid's future in a lot of cases, probably isn't that big of a stretch.

Most of these players played travel ball for most of their lives, so I think a lot of the players who make it this far are doing ok financially. It's just difficult, even through middle and high school, to play baseball at the top levels if you're struggling financially.

esplanade91
06-09-2014, 03:54 PM
A quick google search takes you to their website which features a job listing for players.

Wade Garrett
06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Where's Rea playing?

Bethesda Big Train

Same team that Renfroe played on. Cody Brown and Jacob Billingsley are on this team as well

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Bethesda Big Train

Same team that Renfroe played on. Cody Brown and Jacob Billingsley are on this team as well

Yep. In the Cal Ripken League in Maryland.

The holdup was probably finding a guy that is going to be a fifth year senior a league to play in. Spots on these summer teams have to be arranged.

I never had a doubt that Wes would play this summer- but my fear was that it was going to be a league that was for freshmen and it would be too easy.

War Machine Dawg
06-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Bethesda Big Train

Yep. In the Cal Ripken League in Maryland.

The holdup was probably finding a guy that is going to be a fifth year senior a league to play in. Spots on these summer teams have to be arranged.

I never had a doubt that Wes would play this summer- but my fear was that it was going to be a league that was for freshmen and it would be too easy.

The news just gets better. Hopefully Wes makes the most of this opportunity. I also really like that Cody Brown is on the team. Kid is going to be a player for us before he leaves.