PDA

View Full Version : Keys to 10 wins

msstate7
06-09-2014, 11:34 AM
What you guys think? The obvious answers are keep dak healthy and a fg kicker emerge so let's throw those two out.

Mine are cox emerging as a play-making safety and Wilson becoming a big play threat down the field

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I think it will be on our DBs and WRs being solid, not necessarily outstanding. If those two places stay healthy and our guys can simply make the plays they are supposed to, then we will be very good. We all know our front seven should be awesome, and know about Dak, but I think the key to a great year, as opposed to just a good one, are those two corps being solid and not making big mistakes. If they do that, I see a big year for us

PMDawg
06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
RT Play and OL health.

chainedup_Dawg
06-09-2014, 11:57 AM
OL stepping up, Cox locking down S & Hughes health, DT destroying OL...here's looking at you Nick James, please, please live up to potential this year! I also think with Wilson and Tubby really stepping up last year that using our TEs more could be a serious factor this year.

smootness
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
The key to 10 wins is beating one of the LSU/Alabama/Auburn group. So the question is, what will it take to win one of those while winning all the others?

I think it comes down to OL and health. If our OL can be at least pretty good, we should be a threat to everyone we play, assuming we stay relatively healthy.

But I'll be honest, the talk of 10 wins makes me uncomfortable. Not because I don't think we can do it but because it seems like every time we get this hyped, we follow it up with a letdown...and because I just don't want to go into a season thinking that anything less than 10 wins is in any way disappointing.

I want to be beyond ecstatic if we win 10, not just pleased that we did what we thought we would do.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Can we run the football. Period. With our D, if we can run it we will be extremely tough to beat.

tcdog70
06-09-2014, 12:00 PM
the age -old key

the ability to run the ball
and
the ability to stop the run

BeardoMSU
06-09-2014, 12:04 PM
RT Play and OL health.

Seconded. We need our O-line to stay healthy and play well. I saw lots of missed assignments run and pass blocking last year; they'll need to more solid if Dak is gonna reach his ceiling.

WR's: I think we know what we'll get from Lewis. He should have another great year. I'd really like to see one of our outside guys to really step up and have a ~600-800 yard year.

Secondary: I feel these guys will be pretty solid, but I'm more worried about how we scheme them. In Dan's 5 years, we haven't ran a defensive scheme that utilizes a lock-down approach; we do a lot of zone cover 2, etc; I'd love to see a lot more bump and run. I'm just tired of us conceding the 1st down (i.e., Auburn's last drive)

DL: There is a TON of potential here. We must have a legit pass rush with the front 4, freeing up our LB's to do their work. If Chris Jones and co. can cause "mayhem" up front, then look out; this D will be special.

Place kicking: I'm quite a bit more optimistic after the Michigan transfer. Hopefully he locks down the kicking duties and we can let Bell and Swed do all the punting.

justwin
06-09-2014, 12:12 PM
The only way we don't win 10 is if we don't distribute the carries to the RBs effectively between the tackles.

Our OL will be fine b/c of the RBs & Running QBs we have which will allow them to run block more often. Our FG kicking will be better since Bell is full time punter & we've upgraded with at least 2 good FG kickers in Sobiesk & Michigan kid. Bell was 2/9 on FGs between 30-49 yards. 2 for 9!! I'm not saying we need to be pefect, but 60% or better will get the job done. Our defense will be fine like always. Our WRs are the best collection we've ever had with a returning WR coach in Gonzales.

The reason we didn't win as many games last year (& the last 5 games of 2012) as we should've is b/c we didn't use our big RBs enough regardless of who was playing QB.

Here are the numbers to prove it. These are total rushes in 2013 vs SEC teams:

Aub: 40 total rushes, Perk had 8, Dak had 22. So, complete lack of using Griff, Rob, Shump
LSU: 36 rushes, 10 to Perk
KY: 42 rushes, 12 to Perk
USC: 35 / 12 to perk
TXAM: 43 rushers. Perk had 17 for 55 yards. JRob had 6 for 73, TD.
Bama: 29 / Perk had 10
Ark: 37 rushes / perk had 6 / JRob had 17 for 101.
TSUN: 43 rushes / perk had 12 for 5 yards. JRob had 7 for 38, TD
Rice: 46 rushes / Perk had 13 for 47 / JRob had 3 for 45

What's crazy is TXAM, Perk had his highest carry total for the year with 17 for only 55 yards against one of the worst defenses in the SEC. JRob's highest # of carries was 17 vs Ark for 101 all in the 2nd half & Ark had a middle of the pack defense last year.

People like to complain that is was a Tyler vs Dak issue, but it was a complete mismanagement of the stud RBs we already had on the roster. For the life of me, I just don't see how Mullen can screw that up with this unless he starts giving it to Holloway between the tackles.

Tbonewannabe
06-09-2014, 12:14 PM
We were good against the run but I would like to see more pressure on the QB. I am anxiously awaiting a DL that has Preston Smith, Nick James, P Jones and Chris Jones. If Nick James lives up to hype, Preston Smith and Chris Jones could both have double digit sacks.

BeardoMSU
06-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If Nick James lives up to hype, Preston Smith and Chris Jones could both have double digit sacks.

I'm strangely comfortable with this idea....

justwin
06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
In terms of Return on Investment, I'd say that Nick James has the biggest possible return to Mullen, more so than Lewis & Dak & McKinney. What I mean is that, Mullen has basically made a huge individual investment in each one of those 4 ~

BMAc - Unheard of recruit to potential lottery pick ~ Basically, got him on campus and in the program to excel.
Lewis - a scholly when no other schools thought he was undersized. Worked through the route running & dropsies early on
Dak - has made him into something special, potentially..unlike what other schools could have done.
Nick - got him off of the streets in Long Beach mid year senior year to a controlled environment, unlimited patience since he got to campus, even allowed him to step away from the game for a year to grow up.

I think if Nick James getting 5+ sacks in 2014 > 90 tackle by BMAC / 2,500 & 1K by Dak / 1K receiving yards by Lewis. So, yeah I agree that a big year by Nick James can get MSU to unchartered territory with SEC wins.

OL stepping up, Cox locking down S & Hughes health, DT destroying OL...here's looking at you Nick James, please, please live up to potential this year! I also think with Wilson and Tubby really stepping up last year that using our TEs more could be a serious factor this year.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2014, 01:58 PM
You don't win 10 games in the SEC without a legit pass rusher and with a mediocre O-line. The only success we will have on the ground involves Dak and we just can't have him take that pounding for 12 games.

drunkernhelldawg
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
You don't win 10 games in the SEC without a legit pass rusher and with a mediocre O-line. The only success we will have on the ground involves Dak and we just can't have him take that pounding for 12 games.

Why is our O line so terrible? I thought is was going to be pretty good. I am resisting temptation to cut loose on what seems to be the worst football post I've ever read. Just would like to know:

1. Why our pass rushers are not legit.
2. Why our O line sucks
3. Why our running backs are worthless.

I do agree that Dak should not be our leading rusher. Many disagree with this, and a lot of teams have done well with the qb doing most of the rushing.

Goat Holder
06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
- Prescott needs to make a big jump and stay healthy
- DL needs to play to the level that they are expected
- Placekicking must return to at least average

That's it. The rest of the team is known. We know about our OL, it is what it is. We know what our skill positions can do.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Why is our O line so terrible? I thought is was going to be pretty good. I am resisting temptation to cut loose on what seems to be the worst football post I've ever read. Just would like to know:

1. Why our pass rushers are not legit.
2. Why our O line sucks
3. Why our running backs are worthless.

I do agree that Dak should not be our leading rusher. Many disagree with this, and a lot of teams have done well with the qb doing most of the rushing.

Notice I said our O-line is mediocre, not terrible. When you start talking 10 wins, you need to have a really good O-line.

Clausell is decent b/c of his experience and is ok against the pass. He doesn't move people in the run game. Clayborn had limited playing time as a true freshman and now has to replace a draft pick. Day is solid. Beckwith is a former walk-on, he give it his all, but is not a road grader by any means. And we really don't know who our RT is going to be. Some say Malone. That's fine but he is coming off a major injury and has never played tackle before. Hopefully that answers your question. Again, the question was about 10 wins, not 7 or 8. And I didn't even mention depth. One injury would be devastating.

Coach34
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Notice I said our O-line is mediocre, not terrible. When you start talking 10 wins, you need to have a really good O-line.

Clausell is decent b/c of his experience and is ok against the pass. He doesn't move people in the run game. Clayborn had limited playing time as a true freshman and now has to replace a draft pick. Day is solid. Beckwith is a former walk-on, he give it his all, but is not a road grader by any means. And we really don't know who our RT is going to be. Some say Malone. That's fine but he is coming off a major injury and has never played tackle before. Hopefully that answers your question. Again, the question was about 10 wins, not 7 or 8. And I didn't even mention depth. One injury would be devastating.

Our OL situation is much better than this is portrayed.

Clausell is one of the 5 best LT's in the SEC
Day is a top 5 Center
Clayborn is our best run-blocker right now- he is Gabe Jackson as a Soph
Beckwith played well at times last year- certainly did down the stretch
Malone has made 7-8 starts as an SEC player. OL players move around all the time- so it's not like we are asking him to go from playing QB to TE

Depth-wise- we have 3 early games that will allow us to get some of these guys experience:

Johnson
Flowers
Senior (who has made 1 career start)
Warren

Losing Day would be the only real bigtime injury that would concern me- but overall- this is probably the best shape we have been in upfront since Mullen arrived

Joe Schmedlap
06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Offensive line recruiting has been spotty and not on par at all with the offensive line talent that Coach Sherrill brought in. We have improved at just about every level recruiting wise except o-line. In fact even Crxxm may have brought in comparable or better offensive line talent. If there is one thing that State has historically done well, it is recruit linemen and running backs. I'm wondering if and when we will see highly touted offensive linemen return to the fold.

Day is a top 5 Center
Malone has made 7-8 starts as an SEC player. OL players move around all the time- so it's not like we are asking him to go from playing QB to TE

Depth-wise- we have 3 early games that will allow us to get some of these guys experience:

Johnson
Flowers
Warren

Losing Day would be the only real bigtime injury that would concern me- but overall- this is probably the best shape we have been in upfront since Mullen arrived

Political Hack
06-09-2014, 07:13 PM
be top 3 in the league on 3rd conversions offensively. May get to 11 with that.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 07:21 PM
be top 3 in the league on 3rd conversions offensively. May get to 11 with that.

This is a good one. If we can sustain drives, we will be very tough considering how good our defense will be

HoopsDawg
06-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Day is a top 5 Center

Johnson
Flowers
Warren

Honestly, Joc Johnson should probably redshirt. Malone is the key. If he can be a player at RT then we will be ok. He has the size, that's for sure. I wish someone would make a big jump and help out at guard.

TUSK
06-09-2014, 09:24 PM
I'll echo what some of y'all said... must be able to run & limit the run.

more simply: upset 2 of LSU, AU and @Mississippi.

y'all should be favored in the rest. (I'm assuming MSU will be a "heavy" 'dog @Bama.)