PDA

View Full Version : ESPN SEC QB Rankings

TheRef
06-09-2014, 10:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84019/sec-position-rankings-quarterbacks-6

Well, well, well....Bro Wallace is once again set below "His Dakness" in a ranking. Granted, it's for the whole QB position on the team, but I will argue that this is mainly about the starters since they have Marshall and Auburn at the top.

Rankings:

1. Auburn
2. MSU
3. Bears
4. Mizzou
5. BAMA
6. Florida
7. USCe

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I understand that Auburn had a great year and what not, but I don't understand the amount of love Marshall is getting. He's a transformed DB, isn't he?? I can't remember seeing him beat a team with his arm (that Georgia throw doesn't count), so I don't really get the love for him. Maybe he's just top ranked by default, because everyone lost o much at QB. But he was really just a decent throwing QB who had a running back rushing for 300 yards. I could win a few games with that help. I'm not just saying that bc I want Dak at the top or anything, just saying I haven't quite bought in on him yet. We need to let him beat us with his arm this year, because I don't think he can.

Covercorner2
06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
FWIW: The individual rankings will come out later today...

Covercorner2
06-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I understand that Auburn had a great year and what not, but I don't understand the amount of love Marshall is getting. He's a transformed DB, isn't he?? I can't remember seeing him beat a team with his arm (that Georgia throw doesn't count), so I don't really get the love for him. Maybe he's just top ranked by default, because everyone lost o much at QB. But he was really just a decent throwing QB who had a running back rushing for 300 yards. I could win a few games with that help. I'm not just saying that bc I want Dak at the top or anything, just saying I haven't quite bought in on him yet. We need to let him beat us with his arm this year, because I don't think he can.

He beat us with his arm last year. Granted it was really early in the year and we were breaking in new DBs, but he did do it...

Political Hack
06-09-2014, 10:26 AM
that list will be more jacked up than Freeze's fronts by the end of the season.

smootness
06-09-2014, 10:28 AM

I agree with this to some degree, but QB, especially in college, is not always about who throws the ball the best. It's just about who is most effective at the QB position, and it's hard to argue that out of the returning SEC QBs, that was Marshall last year.

It's kind of like Eric Couch at Nebraska. He wasn't really a QB in any traditional sense, and he certainly had no future at the position, but among QBs in college when he played, he was definitely the most effective.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree with this to some degree, but QB, especially in college, is not always about who throws the ball the best. It's just about who is most effective at the QB position, and it's hard to argue that out of the returning SEC QBs, that was Marshall last year.

It's kind of like Eric Couch at Nebraska. He wasn't really a QB in any traditional sense, and he certainly had no future at the position, but among QBs in college when he played, he was definitely the most effective.

Yep. Tommy Frazier, tim tebow, and cam newton are the best college qb's I've ever seen and all were run first guys

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I understand he is effective with his legs, and thats part of it. And thats why I said I don't think he can beat us with his arm this season. Our DBs were young and hurt when we played them, and we still picked him off a few times. Against our DBs this season, I don't see him beating us throwing the ball more than 3 yards at a time. Thats all I meant. But obviously, it all starts on the ground for them. I just don't see him as that great of a QB, but then again, the SEC doesn't have many this season

smootness
06-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I understand he is effective with his legs, and thats part of it. And thats why I said I don't think he can beat us with his arm this season. Our DBs were young and hurt when we played them, and we still picked him off a few times. Against our DBs this season, I don't see him beating us throwing the ball more than 3 yards at a time. Thats all I meant. But obviously, it all starts on the ground for them. I just don't see him as that great of a QB, but then again, the SEC doesn't have many this season

The interesting thing with them is that they have some great WRs. I'm sure Marshall has worked almost exclusively on his passing this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see how he's progressed.

I do agree, though, that we're much better equipped to handle that offense this year than last, and we did a pretty good job overall last year.

Give me our DTs to stop their run game along with our athleticism at LB to cut down their sideline-to-sideline stuff, and I feel really good about the ability of our DBs to handle their passing game.

That's the kind of game Justin Cox could make a big difference in. Put some pressure on Marshall and force him into quick decisions, and Cox can just roam around and try to pick him off.

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 11:14 AM
The interesting thing with them is that they have some great WRs. I'm sure Marshall has worked almost exclusively on his passing this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see how he's progressed.

I do agree, though, that we're much better equipped to handle that offense this year than last, and we did a pretty good job overall last year.

Give me our DTs to stop their run game along with our athleticism at LB to cut down their sideline-to-sideline stuff, and I feel really good about the ability of our DBs to handle their passing game.

That's the kind of game Justin Cox could make a big difference in. Put some pressure on Marshall and force him into quick decisions, and Cox can just roam around and try to pick him off.

Cox is one of our players who I'm excited to see. I hope he's progressed a lot and can be a ball hawk on a lot of deep routes being 6'3. Like I said, I'm excited about him, but really don't know what to expect from him as far as consistency goes. I hope he can give us a big guy to go up and challenge the Coates (sp) and Treadwells of the conference for balls down field

PMDawg
06-09-2014, 11:34 AM
that list will be more jacked up than Freeze's fronts by the end of the season.

This was my first thought ad well

DownwardDawg
06-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Yep. Tommy Frazier, tim tebow, and cam newton are the best college qb's I've ever seen and all were run first guys

Reggie Collier

justwin
06-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I think Thompson @ spurrier U is undervalued. Don't understand Driskell being so high

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84019/sec-position-rankings-quarterbacks-6

Well, well, well....Bro Wallace is once again set below "His Dakness" in a ranking. Granted, it's for the whole QB position on the team, but I will argue that this is mainly about the starters since they have Marshall and Auburn at the top.

Rankings:

1. Auburn
2. MSU
3. Bears
4. Mizzou
5. BAMA
6. Florida
7. USCe

smootness
06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Cox is one of our players who I'm excited to see. I hope he's progressed a lot and can be a ball hawk on a lot of deep routes being 6'3. Like I said, I'm excited about him, but really don't know what to expect from him as far as consistency goes. I hope he can give us a big guy to go up and challenge the Coates (sp) and Treadwells of the conference for balls down field

I think Cox could have a huge year. His JUCO tape is ridiculous, and he was playing FS there. He just seems to be much more comfortable and confident now that he's at FS, and I think he could be a playmaker that we haven't had back there in a long time. And I'm counting Whitley in that group.

He's not the kind of hitter Whitley is, but he can still come up and make tackles, and his athleticism will allow him to be a threat to the QB on just about any pass 15+ yards downfield.