PDA

View Full Version : Shump

msstate7
06-09-2014, 07:26 AM
What you guys expect from him this year?

I really think aeris will be our horse by the end of the year. If aeris does become our feature back, should we give shump a look at lb/s?

Saltydog
06-09-2014, 08:03 AM
starter and Griffin and Shump will split the rest of the carries. Actually, I wish we would r/s Aeris but he'll probably play some but I think it'll be limited. Kinda like Shumpert last year.

I think Shump will be used in short yardage situations due to his sheer physicality.

Coach34
06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Aeris will get 30 carries this year tops

JRob is going to be the workhorse. Shump will get his chances and catches the ball well also.

Political Hack
06-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see JRob become MJD part two this year and go pro after the season. RBs can't really vie for a 1st round slot anymore and it's one position where years played and hits taken mean a lot, so going early is usually the right thing to do for them IMO (so long as they're a sure fire mid-to-high round pick).

smootness
06-09-2014, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see JRob become MJD part two this year and go pro after the season. RBs can't really vie for a 1st round slot anymore and it's one position where years played and hits taken mean a lot, so going early is usually the right thing to do for them IMO (so long as they're a sure fire mid-to-high round pick).

This is true, but it's also very difficult for a RB to go in one of the first 4 rounds now. Basically only the top 10 or so RBs in the draft will go in that range.

If we lose Robinson after this year, I'm fine with it because it will mean Robinson had a huge year. And even if we lose both him and Griffin, we'll have Shumpert, Aeris Williams, and several talented freshman RBs to choose from.

Jack Lambert
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM

I really think aeris will be our horse by the end of the year. If aeris does become our feature back, should we give shump a look at lb/s?

Shump will be our next highly drafted running back. I think he is one more season away from being that back. He still needs to learn and get more experience. I am expecting a lot from him in the future. One thing Mullen can do is evaluated talent.

DudyDawg
06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I think Shump will have a quietly good season. He runs with power and we can always use more of that against the bamas of the world. I really think he has a bright future and will be a great back to give JRob a breather with. Aeris will play Shump's role last year. Some carries, not many. Playing on special teams a lot

thedawg
06-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I think Jrob will be our feature back and get 70% of the running back carries. I think Nick Griffen is all the way back from injury and he and Shump split the other 30%. Griffen will get his in the open field and Shump in short yardage.

preachermatt83
06-09-2014, 11:23 AM
JRob will be feature back with Griffin getting the next most carries followed by SHump. Griffin will be a force this year. Mark it down.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I think you guys are underestimating Williams.

Jrob has speed, big play ability, and power

Shump has power and size

Nick has power and size

Aeris has power, speed, size, and big play ability. I think aeris is the best combination of all and will be our best back by the end of the year.

I like all of them though and I'm happy with any of them

Johnson85
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Shump will be our next highly drafted running back. I think he is one more season away from being that back. He still needs to learn and get more experience. I am expecting a lot from him in the future. One thing Mullen can do is evaluated talent.

I don't quite get the sky high expectations for Shumpert. He looks good but he doesn't stand out to me compared to our other recent backs. Granted at MSU running back is the one position where standing out compared to recenet players pretty much means you're on track to be a good NFL player, so it's not like I don't expect him to be good to very good. It just seems like he doesn't have the speed to be a Dixon. He'll be plenty good relying on his strength, but not sure he's going to get the long runs to pump up his stats.

preachermatt83
06-09-2014, 11:33 AM
you give any of our backs 15-20 carries a game and they would rush for 1000 easy.. We are very LOADED at RB.

justwin
06-09-2014, 11:38 AM
I just hope holloway gets 5-8 carries / game between the tackles especially in short yardage.

thedawg
06-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I think Aeries will redshirt not because I dont think he will be good its just hard to play four alot... Three good ones is perfect four is a crowd... I think Shump would have redshirted last year if Griffen would have been 100%

smootness
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I think you guys are underestimating Williams.

Jrob has speed, big play ability, and power

Shump has power and size

Nick has power and size

Aeris has power, speed, size, and big play ability. I think aeris is the best combination of all and will be our best back by the end of the year.

I like all of them though and I'm happy with any of them

I don't think anyone's underestimating Williams. I think he may have the most natural talent of any of our RBs next year, but we have 3 other very talented guys who have all spent time and played in our system and at this level. I just don't think we'll see a ton of Aeris this year, though I certainly think he could contend to be the #1 guy as a sophomore.

And for Johnson85, I definitely think Shumpert has at least as much speed as Dixon did.

thedawg
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
He may have as much speed as Boobie did in a straight line race but Dixon had a pretty good amount of wiggle in his hips.... actually a whole lot of wiggle for a man his size

fishwater99
06-09-2014, 02:05 PM

Mullen is not going to start a freshman RB when we have good upperclassman on the team. He's not the next Hershel Walker.

msstate7
06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Mullen is not going to start a freshman RB when we have good upperclassman on the team. He's not the next Hershel Walker.

No, he's the next Bo Jackson***

smootness
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
He may have as much speed as Boobie did in a straight line race but Dixon had a pretty good amount of wiggle in his hips.... actually a whole lot of wiggle for a man his size

That wiggle, to me, is what held him back his first few years. It wasn't until Mullen got here and he started running north-south with force that he realized his potential.

sandwolf
06-09-2014, 02:23 PM
That wiggle, to me, is what held him back his first few years.

Agreed. It used to make me absolutely irate when I would see AD's 220+ pound ass running east and west or dancing around in the backfield on 3rd or 4th and short. He improved in a huge way his senior year.

War Machine Dawg
06-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Agreed. It used to make me absolutely irate when I would see AD's 220+ pound ass running east and west or dancing around in the backfield on 3rd or 4th and short. He improved in a huge way his senior year.

To be fair, it's hard as hell to run when there's 9 men in the box and EVERYONE knows you're getting the damn ball. Thus why he'd have to dance so much at times. Remember, his coach for those years once said we'd run the ball right at LSU even if we only gained 6 inches.

sandwolf
06-09-2014, 03:28 PM
To be fair, it's hard as hell to run when there's 9 men in the box and EVERYONE knows you're getting the damn ball. Thus why he'd have to dance so much at times. Remember, his coach for those years once said we'd run the ball right at LSU even if we only gained 6 inches.

Very true. But as big as he is, on 3rd or 4th and 1, I always felt like he ought to have been able to hit the LOS full speed and pick it up every time.

BulldogBear
06-09-2014, 03:32 PM

...and instead of a quickhitter the QB runs back and hands you the ball seven yards behind the line of scrimmage to boot

War Machine Dawg
06-09-2014, 06:44 PM
...and instead of a quickhitter the QB runs back and hands you the ball seven yards behind the line of scrimmage to boot

This too. Gives the DL more time to penetrate while you're standing still.