PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 09:00 PM
ULL and many many other NCAA teams use Louisville Slugger for their bats. We use Adidas. Adidas makes clothes, uniforms and shoes. Let's just use Adidas for uniforms and shoes and not for our bats. This last year was our first year using the Adidas bats correct? Well they suck. No offense Adidas but you're not the best at making bats. Louisville Slugger is. Let's use the best.

http://slugger.com/bats/whos-swinging-slugger/

BulldogDX55
06-08-2014, 09:02 PM
ULL and many many other NCAA teams use Louisville Slugger for their bats. We use Adidas. Adidas makes clothes, uniforms and shoes. Let's just use Adidas for uniforms and shoes and not for our bats. This last year was our first year using the Adidas bats correct? Well they suck. No offense Adidas but you're not the best at making bats. Louisville Slugger is. Let's use the best.

http://slugger.com/bats/whos-swinging-slugger/

I doubt that is contractually possible, or the reason we aren't hitting well.

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 09:08 PM
I doubt that is contractually possible, or the reason we aren't hitting well.

There's no way that Adidas is FORCING us to use their bats or we are breaching contract because their bats AFFECT PERFORMANCE. Just like Adidas can't force a Pro Golfer to use their shitty golf clubs. They are good at clothes and shoes and that's it. Not equipment.

smootness
06-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I really don't think the bats have anything to do with our struggles at times this year.

And Louisville Slugger doesn't necessarily make the best metal bats.

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 09:14 PM
I really don't think the bats have anything to do with our struggles at times this year.

Ding ding ding

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2014, 09:14 PM
ULL's hitting ability has nothing to do with the MANUFACTURER of their bats.

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
ULL's hitting ability has nothing to do with the MANUFACTURER of their bats.

Haha no they are an excellent hitting team but if you think all bats are equal you're wrong. They are just like golf clubs. There's a difference between an Adidas metal bat and a Louisville Slugger metal bat. Just like there's a difference between Ping golf clubs and Nike golf clubs. I'd just like for our baseball team to use the best college bats possible and not use Adidas only or at least have the freedom to use different bats if they like a certain one better.

esplanade91
06-08-2014, 10:07 PM
You go spend a shit ton of money on whatever golf clubs you want. I'll use the ole trusty Ping Eye 2's. We'll see who wins.

My point is unless you're a damn pro, it doesn't matter. Our guys could use 14k gold LS bats, they'd still either be fanning, hitting singles, or flying out to center.

bulldogcountry1
06-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Maybe as fans we make too much of it, but considering what's at stake, you would think any high level team would seek out the best equipment to be successful, especially when it comes to something like a baseball bat.

When you look at our HR numbers and then you look at other teams, you have to wonder if it makes some difference.

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
You go spend a shit ton of money on whatever golf clubs you want. I'll use the ole trusty Ping Eye 2's. We'll see who wins.

My point is unless you're a damn pro, it doesn't matter. Our guys could use 14k gold LS bats, they'd still either be fanning, hitting singles, or flying out to center.

I promise you want nothing to do with me on a golf course. Stick to playing beer pong with the basketball team. You have a chance to win there.**

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 10:35 PM
We could roll our bats. I doubt umpires look for that very often.

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 10:39 PM

1. We should

2. How do you check for that?

DudyDawg
06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
There's no way that Adidas is FORCING us to use their bats or we are breaching contract because their bats AFFECT PERFORMANCE. Just like Adidas can't force a Pro Golfer to use their shitty golf clubs. They are good at clothes and shoes and that's it. Not equipment.
It's very possible they could force us to use them. Have you ever seen a sponsorship contract?

That being said, it doesn't matter if we used the old bats, we couldn't hit. This is just a cop out excuse

Coach34
06-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Our problem is that we have too many guys that are 5'9- and that has nothing to do with the bats.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 10:45 PM
1. We should

2. How do you check for that?

I honestly don't know how you check for it and I don't know a lot about rolling bats period. I guess they would put it on a scale and check the cap on the end of the bat?

Some of the guys that play competitive softball probably know a lot more about it than me.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Haha no they are an excellent hitting team but if you think all bats are equal you're wrong. They are just like golf clubs. There's a difference between an Adidas metal bat and a Louisville Slugger metal bat. Just like there's a difference between Ping golf clubs and Nike golf clubs. I'd just like for our baseball team to use the best college bats possible and not use Adidas only or at least have the freedom to use different bats if they like a certain one better.

Oh, OK

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
I promise you want nothing to do with me on a golf course. Stick to playing beer pong with the basketball team. You have a chance to win there.**

I shot 98 today. How big of a boy are ya?

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I honestly don't know how you check for it and I don't know a lot about rolling bats period. I guess they would put it on a scale and check the cap on the end of the bat?

Some of the guys that play competitive softball probably know a lot more about it than me.

A quick google search says that basically it just puts the bat through a high pressure roller which speeds up the process of "breaking the bat in". Loosens up the fibers.

From a website

"Bat rolling is a process that can add incredible pop and distance to any softball or baseball bat. Everyone knows that bats get hotter after about 500-800 hits. The trouble is, by the time you have put that many hits on the bat it is well on it’s way to being worn out. By rolling your bat you can enjoy the bat’s maximum potential from the very first swing without putting all the wear and tear on it.

The bat is placed between two rollers and then pressure is applied so that as the bat passes through the rollers the bat’s fibers are stretched out. This causes the fibers to become more flexible which greatly improves the bat’s trampoline effect when the ball hits it resulting in increased batted ball speed and distance. It will make the sweet spot bigger and much more consistent as well."

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 10:50 PM

I like it

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 10:52 PM
I shot 98 today. How big of a boy are ya?

Haha what'd you shoot on the back nine?**

Todd4State
Our problem is that we have too many guys that are 5'9- and that has nothing to do with the bats.

We can't generate enough bat speed. That's all power is basically a function of- bat speed and hand eye coordination. If you can generate enough bat speed, you can hit for power no matter how tall you are. BUT what height does is it gives you an advantage from a mechanical leverage standpoint. So, odds are if you are taller you are more likely to hit for more power.

The other big problems I saw:

Our guys with the most power potential for the most part were freshmen who are still learning- Collins, Humphreys, and Garner. And then you have guys like Rooker who redshirted.

When we would get into a situation with RISP, instead of being Cody Brown, Jake Vickerson, etc. we would try to do too much and try to be Miguel Cabrera. Too many guys without power lengthening their swing and then trying to do way too much when all we needed was a single, a fly ball, or a ball to the right side.

Pioneer Dawg
Rolling = breaking the bat in.. No cap removal.. No evidence

Shaving = removing the cap to shave out metal… Leaves evidence.

Every bat in our program needs to be rolled no questions asked. Shave a few to be pulled out in only the most needed plate appearances.

I seen it dawg
06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Rolling = breaking the bat in.. No cap removal.. No evidence

Shaving = removing the cap to shave out metal… Leaves evidence.

Every bat in our program needs to be rolled no questions asked. Shave a few to be pulled out in only the most needed plate appearances.

Lmao you crack me up every now and then. Yeah nobody would ever notice that..."hey we could really use a hit here go get my special bat out of my locker". I guess if we could get it to work enough where we would be comfortable not getting caught we shouldn't use it every pitch.

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Lmao you crack me up every now and then. Yeah nobody would ever notice that..."hey we could really use a hit here go get my special bat out of my locker". I guess if we could get it to work enough where we would be comfortable not getting caught we shouldn't use it every pitch.

Sosa messed up using cork in June of 2003. Saving it for October may have changed the fortunes of the lovable losers.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Bianco would sure as hell notice. He would have the FBI going through Wes Rea's bag upon arrival to the stadium.

The key is to make sure it's painted exactly like the gamer.

Of course, I'll admit- I don't normally notice what kind of bat a guy uses from at bat to at bat. And I doubt very many people would.

Dawg61
06-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Can we put Savoy Special on the bat too?

http://youtu.be/2QGYIM-8y38

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Can we put Savoy Special on the bat too?

http://youtu.be/2QGYIM-8y38

That kid looks a lot like Will Cox. Maybe we could have Cox give it to the hitters personally.

TexasDawg
06-08-2014, 11:53 PM

A lot of golfers use Adidas clubs, seeing how Taylormade is a subsidiary of Adidas and all

esplanade91
06-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Maybe as fans we make too much of it, but considering what's at stake, you would think any high level team would seek out the best equipment to be successful, especially when it comes to something like a baseball bat.

When you look at our HR numbers and then you look at other teams, you have to wonder if it makes some difference.

Do you think there's a major difference in the worst bats in D1 and the best bats in D1? And do you honestly believe that the difference has an effect in the W-L column?

Our only HR threat is Wes Rea, and he couldn't hit a home run with a cricket bat for most of the season. I don't attribute Rea and Detz's production falling off from last year due to bats. Pirtle, Henderson, and Armstrong actually improved their BA's from the previous year when we were not using Adidas bats.

Equipment is a weak excuse.

Raytoraid83
06-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Ive heard ULL does this. Take notice in tomorrow's game how they slam the top of their bats down after they foul a pitch back and sometimes in between pitches.

Dawg61
06-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Ive heard ULL does this. Take notice in tomorrow's game how they slam the top of their bats down after they foul a pitch back and sometimes in between pitches.

Their bats are juiced for sure

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 01:09 AM

There's definitely a LOT that doesn't add up with ULL. I don't see anyone on their team that will make it to MLB- and yet they are all hitting like Hunter Renfroe? In this era of college baseball? Please.

Dawg61
06-09-2014, 01:19 AM
There's definitely a LOT that doesn't add up with ULL. I don't see anyone on their team that will make it to MLB- and yet they are all hitting like Hunter Renfroe? In this era of college baseball? Please.

Whose got the stat about them hitting like 20 HR last year and then like 80 this year again? Cheating Cajuns lol

Todd4State
06-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Whose got the stat about them hitting like 20 HR last year and then like 80 this year again? Cheating Cajuns lol

If they go to Omaha and they start jacking some balls out, I have to wonder if people will start to ask questions.

That's literally the only time that ESPN pays attention to college baseball.

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Bianco would sure as hell notice. He would have the FBI going through Wes Rea's bag upon arrival to the stadium.

The key is to make sure it's painted exactly like the gamer.

Of course, I'll admit- I don't normally notice what kind of bat a guy uses from at bat to at bat. And I doubt very many people would.

Good teams that are coached well (which is kind of redundant) notice everything. It's part of being into the game on the bench and trying to pick up every little advantage possible. Akin to stealing signs etc.

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 06:31 AM

And in particular Conrad and Adams and I think Butler....they use the same white bat that has the cap that makes the end of the bat flat. They both use the same bat. A few guys use the same black bat that has the cupped out end..Harrison uses it for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if multiple guys use one bat, watch tonite you can tell from how the tape is and the pine tar. These are things picked up from the bench.

If this bat has had the cap fly off during BP then they are conscious of it and don't trust it completely...hence slamming the end on the ground after a foul ball...

I seen it dawg
06-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Picked up from the bench....you want to know who is covering the bag on a hit and run so you know which hole you need to hit the ground all thru 2nd or short?....watch the middle infielders in the situations and one of them will creep and cheat when they have the bag...it's subtle and almost sub conscious and a good team will pick it up from the bench and as part of their communication will let the hitter know

HereComesTheSpiral
06-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Like the hit that scored the run on the dropped ball, that was a piss rocket on what looked like a check swing. Im a little surprised bianco hasnt gone out there to check the bat that they keep slamming on the ground.

RAYn_Man
06-09-2014, 10:15 AM

ULL went from 18 team homeruns in 2012 to 74 in 2013. Upper sixties and counting this year.

Justdafacts
06-09-2014, 10:18 AM

They actually hit 74 last year.

Edit** didn't see the last post above this one.

Jack Lambert
06-09-2014, 10:34 AM

And Louisville Slugger doesn't necessarily make the best metal bats.

Unless they have been tampered with by the team. I think it should be a NCAA rule that all equitment must be checked after each game to insure it was all on the up and up just like NASCAR.

thedawg
06-09-2014, 11:05 AM
In 2013 we used Easton bats so I doubt that we are contractually bound to use Adidas bats. Coming out of the fall I read two or three different interviews were the players talked about how much more pop the new Adidas bats had over the Easton bats... I dont think the bats were the problem although I would agree on pure instinct I would think Louisville Slugger would be better at making bats than Adidas.

smootness
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I just don't buy a whole lot into things like golf clubs, baseball bats, gloves, etc. having a wide variance in quality among companies. I think it's mostly about branding.

It's not like Nike picks up a Titleist Pro VI and is completely flustered as to how they made it. All of this is essentially the same; now obviously some equipment is, in fact, better quality than others but most of that is on purpose in order to capture a certain market.

For instance, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Noodle to put the time, money, and effort into making the highest quality golf ball because then they would have to charge more to sell it, and nobody is going to buy Noodle golf balls for the price of a Pro VI. But they all know how to make high-quality equipment, at least IMO.

notsofarawaydawg
06-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I know a former Louisville Slugger bat designer/representative who actually personally loaded the bats for his son's team at an SEC school and then a Big 12 school after he transferred there after his sophomore year. Not saying he loaded them illegally but had the facility to test bats and could have given those teams a leg up on other teams.