PDA

View Full Version : Watching the ULL UM game last night with some fellow state fans

RC3
06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Some were actually pulling for ole miss, citing sec allegiance, Mississippi pride, etc.
I say screw that. I label you a bad bulldawg if you are pulling for ole miss in this thing. That applies to any of y'all as well. Ha

engie
06-08-2014, 09:20 AM
I don't pull against them in baseball. Only pull harder for MSU/pull for MSU when we play head to head. Have alot of ties with that baseball program up there...

It's a very different dynamic from other sports. We can both pull enough talent to be elite simultaneously in baseball. As such, what they do has much smaller overall bearing on what we do, and vice versa. The OMAHA streak is fun to needle them about, but they are going to make it at some point if they keep putting themselves in position. That doesn't make me or anyone else in the country feel any differently about MSU though. There is room for both of us in the college baseball world...

RC3
06-08-2014, 09:24 AM
The only thing I want ole miss to be elite at is shitting the bed. I can understand an approach of not really caring if they succeed, but if you are actively cheering for them, I have a problem with it. I can barely fathom a scenario in which I could cheer for them. Maybe if their winning somehow sent us to Atlanta for an sec champ game but that scenario is hard to imagine since we play them at the end of each year

esplanade91
06-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Screw em.

But aside from my hatred for UM, I also want the team that torched us to go as far as possible. I feel that way about any time in any sport that beats "my" team.

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 09:49 AM
If a Bear and a Bulldog were both going for a close parking spot at Wal-Mart I'm rooting against the Bear. Anytime, any place, anywhere, pull against the Bear.

shoeless joe
06-08-2014, 09:57 AM
I think the sport of baseball epitomizes the "ole miss attitude" more than any other. Thinking they are elite when accomplishments don't show it...thinking they have tradition when the past doesn't show it...conjuring up an outfield fan atmospher just cuz lil bro has one then claiming it's original and unique. Because of these things I love to watch them come so close yet fail to get over the hump every year. Also, each team that gets close and misses out will just pile on the pressure for a later team making them have to over come that much more.

That said, they have a good program and are likely to make it to Omaha at some point. When they do it will have no affect on how I perceive their program or ours. It would be like a 25 yr old learning how to swim then trying To act all cool in the pool with a bunch of 6 yr olds that have been doing it for years.

CadaverDawg
06-08-2014, 10:15 AM
If a Bear and a Bulldog were both going for a close parking spot at Wal-Mart I'm rooting against the Bear. Anytime, any place, anywhere, pull against the Bear.

This.

We're the closest thing to Bama/Auburn, just on a smaller scale. We're the only state with 2 SEC teams outside of Alabama...and neither of us have a pro team. So dominance in OUR state is very important, more than most states.

godlluB
06-08-2014, 10:23 AM
This.

We're the closest thing to Bama/Auburn, just on a smaller scale. We're the only state with 2 SEC teams outside of Alabama...and neither of us have a pro team. So dominance in OUR state is very important, more than most states.

Vandy and UT would like a word with you.

CadaverDawg
06-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Vandy and UT would like a word with you.

Ha, forgot Vandy...They don't matter*

DawgSaint
06-08-2014, 10:28 AM
In the post season I always pull for the SEC...except when it involves the school up north.

GreenheadDawg
06-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm against OM in all aspects of life. Screw SEC and MS allegiance. I will NEVER root for them

dawgoneyall
06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Ditto

Aces High
06-08-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't pull against them in baseball. Only pull harder for MSU/pull for MSU when we play head to head. Have alot of ties with that baseball program up there...

It's a very different dynamic from other sports. We can both pull enough talent to be elite simultaneously in baseball. As such, what they do has much smaller overall bearing on what we do, and vice versa. The OMAHA streak is fun to needle them about, but they are going to make it at some point if they keep putting themselves in position. That doesn't make me or anyone else in the country feel any differently about MSU though. There is room for both of us in the college baseball world...

Dude. I pull against ole miss at the pearly gates

RC3
06-08-2014, 10:59 AM
In the post season I always pull for the SEC...except when it involves the school up north.

I'm all for vandy winning the whole thing. I hope ole miss loses by 17 tonight

dawgs
06-08-2014, 11:01 AM
When conference allegiance goes wrong

turkish
06-08-2014, 11:09 AM
When we win the CWS, my hatred for UOM will ease a bit. Maybe.

dawgs
06-08-2014, 11:20 AM

The biggest fear is that in a season like this year, ole miss would have a very real shot at winning it all if they make Omaha. UVA was our safety net and now they are down 1-0 to Maryland. The Omaha streak ending will happen and will suck enough, but if they ended it and managed to win it all after all the trips we've made and last season, it would be the ultimate kick in the nuts.

bluelightstar
06-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't personally root for Ole Miss, but know some people who will in terms of "Mississippi pride." But I agree with those others, I can't do it.

NorCalDawg
06-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I will not pull for these SEC teams for ANY reason:

Ole Miss
Auburn

Their douchery has no boundaries. I pulled for FSU against Auburn. I will pull for every other team in the SEC on a situational basis (i.e., does their winning or losing help MSU?).

Saltydog
06-08-2014, 11:48 AM
nt

State82
06-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I pulled for FSU against Auburn. I will pull for every other team in the SEC on a situational basis (i.e., does their winning or losing help MSU?).

My sentiment exactly. I have never been a "conference" guy when it comes to hoping for other SEC teams to win. In today's world of big business collegiate athletics, the SEC is going to get its money and always will. We are going to get our cut and always will. No matter what some schmuck from an Orlando newspaper thinks. I hope that idiot realizes we are charter members of this outfit. Anyway, because of current setup, other SEC teams winning at any sport does not benefit MSU in a significant manner and more often than not actually impedes our progress athletically. We already are behind the curve in baseball in relation to schools in the states with the "extra" scholly benefits. Then there is Vandy with their "private school" benefits which has rocketed them to upper echelon status that continues. So no, I don't pull for anyone else unless it directly benefits MSU's cause.

Drugdog
06-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I hope they lose in every sport, every time. Just as they hope we do. That's what makes it a rivalry.

dickiedawg
06-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Screw Ole Miss, every time no matter what, unless their winning helps us in the standings. Even then I'd probably only cheer for them if a championship or a bye in the SEC tourney is on the line.

Apoplectic
06-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm against OM in all aspects of life. Screw SEC and MS allegiance. I will NEVER root for them

I would root for the cubans before i would those pretentious effeminates

engie
06-08-2014, 02:16 PM
The biggest fear is that in a season like this year, ole miss would have a very real shot at winning it all if they make Omaha. UVA was our safety net and now they are down 1-0 to Maryland. The Omaha streak ending will happen and will suck enough, but if they ended it and managed to win it all after all the trips we've made and last season, it would be the ultimate kick in the nuts.

Anyone that makes it to Omaha has "a very real shot at winning it". That isn't a good enough reason for a pre-eminent freak out about it though. We'll eternally be their bitches in a way as long as people carry this paralyzing fear of them finding a magic potion we've never found to somehow one-up us in a sport that we own them in. Only one team can win it all. Just because we went to the brink last year doesn't make it easy to accomplish. Nor likely.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm not rooting for them. Especially after all the crap that they have tried to pull off over the years to try to hurt our baseball program.

Try to sue Cohen, bad mouth our staff in front of recruits and scouts, make up BS about recruits committing to Ole Miss in front of Cohen...yeah- let's pull for those guys.

M.Fillmore
06-08-2014, 03:54 PM
We'll eternally be their bitches in a way as long as people carry this paralyzing fear of them finding a magic potion we've never found to somehow one-up us in a sport that we own them in.

Bama has never won a NC in hoops or baseball and they have the same attitude toward Auburn in both sports. Does your claim apply to bama? I think not.

A bear called me yesterday before the game and asked me if MSU still has a baseball program. He claims they have a superior program to us in baseball. The same guy claimed that MSU never plays a tough non-conference team in football. I had to remind him about Ok State, West Virginia, Geo Tech, BYU, etc.

I was at a meeting in California and there was bear talking to a guy from Oklahoma and he was putting down Oklahoma by claiming their football history is superior to Oklahoma's.

Take a gander at the institutional racism thread posted at the top of this page. Those turds make the entire state look bad.

Besides all the above, the clowns up north are our chief rival in recruiting in most every sport.

Pulling against them is not irrational, pulling against the bears is very rational.

maroonmania
06-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Exactly, and while OM winning a national title in baseball certainly would not have the major negative effects for us that it would in football (given that both schools and especially OM recruit so many out of state baseball players) it would still hurt us overall and help change the dynamic that MSU is THE baseball school in the state. And I know OM has done some good things under Bianco since he's been there but WE are still the in-state school with the attendance records, the rich tradition and the many trips to Omaha. MSU fans have always cared about this sport while OM fans have just sort of jumped on the bandwagon the last 10 or 12 years.

maroonmania
06-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Bama has never won a NC in hoops or baseball and they have the same attitude toward Auburn in both sports. Does your claim apply to bama? I think not.

A bear called me yesterday before the game and asked me if MSU still has a baseball program. He claims they have a superior program to us in baseball. The same guy claimed that MSU never plays a tough non-conference team in football. I had to remind him about Ok State, West Virginia, Geo Tech, BYU, etc.

I was at a meeting in California and there was bear talking to a guy from Oklahoma and he was putting down Oklahoma by claiming their football history is superior to Oklahoma's.

Take a gander at the institutional racism thread posted at the top of this page. Those turds make the entire state look bad.

Besides all the above, the clowns up north are our chief rival in recruiting in most every sport.

Pulling against them is not irrational, pulling against the bears is very rational.

All that is because the primary thing that OM fans excel at is self esteem. Never has any fanbase in the history of sports thought so highly of themselves and their teams where so little has actually been accomplished over the last 40 years.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Exactly, and while OM winning a national title in baseball certainly would not have the major negative effects for us that it would in football (given that both schools and especially OM recruit so many out of state baseball players) it would still hurt us overall and help change the dynamic that MSU is THE baseball school in the state. And I know OM has done some good things under Bianco since he's been there but WE are still the in-state school with the attendance records, the rich tradition and the many trips to Omaha. MSU fans have always cared about this sport while OM fans have just sort of jumped on the bandwagon the last 10 or 12 years.

They jump on the bandwagon if they think they are better than MSU at baseball.

They don't have nearly as many fans that go to every game, that travel with the team, etc.

To me, it seems like their bandwagon was bigger in the past than it is right now. Probably a combination of us being respectable, what we did last year and have over the past four years, and the fact that they are on the road.

engie
06-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Does Auburn cry little brother stuff everytime Bama experiences any semblance of success in either of those sports? Does Auburn traditionally own them in either of those sports? Sorry -- I don't understand the analogy whatsoever.

You hang out with and work with idiots...

Despite the assertions of many in this thread, there are a bunch of OM fans that are also MSU baseball fans that don't mind seeing us do well. That's what they grew up with(us as THE place to be for college baseball) and revert to at times. I had very few good friends that are OM fans that were actively pulling against MSU in Omaha last year.

Their institutional history and some of the crap that happens with the football team has what to do with their current baseball team?

They barely affect us at all in baseball. We literally have 2, maybe 3, common targets in the usual class of 12-15 players. We both recruit nationally in the sport.

Where did anyone claim that they were pulling for them? Or that MSU fans pulling against them was an irrational act?

Paralyzing fear of them finding a taste of the level of success we've maintainted for 4 decades and then doing irreparable damage to our program is what's irrational...and also what I quoted.

M.Fillmore
06-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Does Auburn cry little brother stuff everytime Bama experiences any semblance of success in either of those sports? Does Auburn traditionally own them in either of those sports? Sorry -- I don't understand the analogy whatsoever.

I posted of Bama's attitude toward Auburn, not Auburn's attitude. Bama roots against Auburn in all sports. I'm not responsible for your poor reading skills.

You wrote twice of "paralyzing fear". I don't find paralyzing fear rational, nor do I find MSU guilty of such.

RC3
06-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't have a paralyzing fear of them succeeding I just hate their asses and want them to lose everytime they step on the field

engie
06-08-2014, 04:31 PM
I posted of Bama's attitude toward Auburn, not Auburn's attitude. Bama roots against Auburn in all sports. I'm not responsible for your poor reading skills.

You wrote twice of "paralyzing fear". I don't find paralyzing fear rational, nor do I find MSU guilty of such.

Ah -- so we're comparable to Bama** I'm sure you know all Bama fans, particularly alums -- and have been around them extensively when Auburn had success in baseball and basketball? This hypothetical was ridiculous and unproveable.

Freaking out about them possibly winning a national title when they haven't been to Omaha in 4 decades is an irrational, paralyzing fear. Where did I accuse you of being one of the MSU fans guilty of such fear? The fact that the statement bothers you so much seemingly says something about it though...

I seen it dawg
06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Are we really discussing whether it's ok to root for OM in anything? Wtf

State82
06-08-2014, 04:37 PM

I'm not really sure now. As often happens, the thread took some strange twists.

engie
06-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Not really...

It's more saying "you don't pull against them" -- consequently because of 2 extremely close friends that currently derive their livelihood from that program -- being somehow twisted into "pulling for them" -- which no one in the thread has actually said nor implied...

Apoplectic
06-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Not really...

It's more saying "you don't pull against them" -- consequently because of 2 extremely close friends that currently derive their livelihood from that program -- being somehow twisted into "pulling for them" -- which no one in the thread has actually said nor implied...

You're obviously not familiar with noetic theory. Do your part bulldog!

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 06:21 PM

I shit you not, I know a guy in Oxford who told me he heard our baseball program was being forced to shut down because someone dropped a beer into the OF from the lounge. Some people are just dumb, so just ignore them.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm not rooting for them. Especially after all the crap that they have tried to pull off over the years to try to hurt our baseball program.

Try to sue Cohen, bad mouth our staff in front of recruits and scouts, make up BS about recruits committing to Ole Miss in front of Cohen...yeah- let's pull for those guys.

Yeah, I'll never pull for them in anything. This kind of stuff is example number 1 of my reasoning for that.

That being said, I don't mind them having baseball success as much as I mind them having football success- just because it's a lot easier for both programs to be good in baseball. One team's success isn't nearly as correlated with the other's in baseball. Still hope UM loses every game they play though.

ETA: At the end of the day though, I've never lost a wink of sleep worrying about UM doing well in any sport/game. That would just be stupid and obsessive.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 06:29 PM
They jump on the bandwagon if they think they are better than MSU at baseball.

They don't have nearly as many fans that go to every game, that travel with the team, etc.

To me, it seems like their bandwagon was bigger in the past than it is right now. Probably a combination of us being respectable, what we did last year and have over the past four years, and the fact that they are on the road.

This is very true. Most students who go to their games are only there to get drunk and flirt- there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I do feel like our fans are much more dedicated to the actual team/game than many of them are.

As far as strategy and baseball IQ goes, UM fans are truly some of the dumbest baseball people I know.

Jacksondevildog
06-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Any fan base that has to organize ways to make sure their fans and students go into the stadium and out of tailgate areas have other more important priorities besides football. Most of their fans would rather show off their new shit and get drunk than pull for their team in the stadium.

godlluB
06-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm against them all day, every day no matter what the sport or who they are playing.

The only good thing about Ole Miss is that its existence greatly reduces the number douchebags in Starkville.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I shit you not, I know a guy in Oxford who told me he heard our baseball program was being forced to shut down because someone dropped a beer into the OF from the lounge. Some people are just dumb, so just ignore them.

Well, then considering the beer showers, I'd say their ass is pretty much done too.

Jacksondevildog
06-08-2014, 07:10 PM
The majority of Ole Miss baseball fans that I know never kept up with Rebel baseball until 2005 or even more recent. Most of them aren't very knowledgable and they see nice facilities and fan support and they automatically expect to be national title contenders. They fail to recognize that nearly every SEC school has impressive facilities. When they have a bad year, they say, "well baseball is second behind football. It just keeps me going until football." When they are good, they say, "we can make it to Omaha, bro." Then they just bitch about Bianco because he hasn't been able to close the deal.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I'll never pull for them in anything. This kind of stuff is example number 1 of my reasoning for that.

That being said, I don't mind them having baseball success as much as I mind them having football success- just because it's a lot easier for both programs to be good in baseball. One team's success isn't nearly as correlated with the other's in baseball. Still hope UM loses every game they play though.

ETA: At the end of the day though, I've never lost a wink of sleep worrying about UM doing well in any sport/game. That would just be stupid and obsessive.

I'm a lot more worried about our program than I am ours. They are going to have a degree of success because they are in the SEC, they draw well compared to the rest of the country, and because Ron Polk allowed it. They have some things going for them.

I'm OK with them being a consistent 30-32 win team every year. That's pretty good- but not as good as us. Eventually what will happen is they will get tired of doing that and much like, ahem Stansbury, they will get rid of Bianco.

Since we've gotten our stuff straightened out, they've gone from a team that goes to a SR every year to a team that goes once every four years. I think that has started to normalize out to a degree. And when they go to a SR, it's going to be a year like this one where they have a ton of juniors and seniors. Heck- they had two starting pitchers go undefeated in SEC weekend play, and that's not normal for anybody.

Drugdog
06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
No true die hard Bulldog would pull for UOM less he/she has a family member on thee team. Even then I would pull for my kid and NOT the team.

It is not in my DNA to EVER want them to win.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 07:16 PM
This is very true. Most students who go to their games are only there to get drunk and flirt- there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I do feel like our fans are much more dedicated to the actual team/game than many of them are.

As far as strategy and baseball IQ goes, UM fans are truly some of the dumbest baseball people I know.

I was at the Ole Miss/USM baseball game in Pearl last year and I told one of their fans- "I see that Laxer is going totally from the stretch now." The guy didn't know what I meant by throwing out of the stretch. LOL.

They pretty much get pissed off at the umpire at every call that isn't a strike for their pitcher. And I love it when they do "throw it in the dirt" and we throw a curveball in the dirt and their guy swings and misses it.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
The majority of Ole Miss baseball fans that I know never kept up with Rebel baseball until 2005 or even more recent. Most of them aren't very knowledgable and they see nice facilities and fan support and they automatically expect to be national title contenders. They fail to recognize that nearly every SEC school has impressive facilities. When they have a bad year, they say, "well baseball is second behind football. It just keeps me going until football." When they are good, they say, "we can make it to Omaha, bro." Then they just bitch about Bianco because he hasn't been able to close the deal.

I haven't heard any Ole Miss fans talk about baseball this year until this week. Not counting the ones that were at the MSU/Ole Miss games I watched.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
I was at the Ole Miss/USM baseball game in Pearl last year and I told one of their fans- "I see that Laxer is going totally from the stretch now." The guy didn't know what I meant by throwing out of the stretch. LOL.

They pretty much get pissed off at the umpire at every call that isn't a strike for their pitcher. And I love it when they do "throw it in the dirt" and we throw a curveball in the dirt and their guy swings and misses it.

That story doesn't surprise me at all.

I found it hilarious when a UM fan was talking to me about how deserving Bousfield was to win the Ferris Trophy. His main reasoning? Because he's only made four errors in his three year career... As an outfielder. LOL, because that's definitely the best way to judge someone's ability to track down fly balls.** The guy legitimately believed that all it took to be a good outfielder was to not drop routine fly balls.

Now I know Bousfield's a very good defender- but it sure as hell isn't because he's only made four errors in the outfield. If that's what it takes to win the Ferris Award, why the hell didn't CT Bradford win it every year?

Pollodawg
06-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't do the "pull the conference, pull for Mississippi" garbage. I pull for MSU. I don't pull for Auburn, UF, UGA, Bama, OM, Vandy, etc. I am a STATE fan, not an SEC fan.

LC Dawg
06-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't see how anyone that's been around an Ole Miss fan could pull for them in anything.

TheRef
06-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I pull for them in the Fulmer Cup.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I pull for them in the Fulmer Cup.

Well, I bet your happy about right now then.