PDA

View Full Version : Early question for you baseball experts/insiders

Offshore Dawg
06-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Who do you feel like will not be coming back for next year now that the draft is announced.

maroonmania
06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm no insider but it certainly looks like as far as underclassmen/signees are concerned we will be losing Lindgren, Holder, Woodruff and Vallot. I think we are safe with most everyone else.

MsStateBaseball
06-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Correct losing those four. We want guys to leave after 3, totally different mindset than football. Scholarship has to be freed up. Happens to every team. We will be much better offensively next year. Questions are OF defense and late relief.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Correct losing those four. We want guys to leave after 3, totally different mindset than football. Scholarship has to be freed up. Happens to every team. We will be much better offensively next year. Questions are OF defense and late relief.

The positive of this being a somewhat disappointing season is that pretty much all of what we lost (outside of Pirtle, Lindgren, and Holder) is very replaceable. We'll miss CT's leadership and defense too, but I just have a hard time seeing next year's team struggle to score runs like we did this year.

We also return everyone who consistently started games for us this year. I'm really excited about Laster- hopefully he can make even bigger strides in the Cape. Also, we sent Hudson, Tatum, Geyer, and Humphreys to Chal Fanning in San Luis Obispo. Look for them to all make strides, along with Sexton and Swinarski.

All in all, we should be better next season, but 2016 is when we should really get it rolling.

BankerDog
06-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Replacing Pirtle, Lingo, and Holder is gonna be hard. Pirtle was the best hitter on the team. Lingo and Holder our best pitchers. They are not going to be easy to replace. We have a lot of question marks in our pitching staff. We don't know how Young, Cox, or Shelly will come back. We don't know how Hudson or Sexton will develop. We only know that Tatum, Mitchell, Laster, and Fitts will have spots

I think it's crazy to say that they will be very replaceable. We had several people say that this year about Renfroe, Frazier, Gravemen, etc. we saw this year that we really missed them.

Our fall practices should be very interesting. And I hope Burdick makes it to campus. He sent a tweet out thanking the Mets, making it sound like he was going pro.

whosyourdawgy
06-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I read the Burdick tweet and read it as more of a thank you for drafting me, not I'm signing w you

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Replacing Pirtle, Lingo, and Holder is gonna be hard. Pirtle was the best hitter on the team. Lingo and Holder our best pitchers. They are not going to be easy to replace. We have a lot of question marks in our pitching staff. We don't know how Young, Cox, or Shelly will come back. We don't know how Hudson or Sexton will develop. We only know that Tatum, Mitchell, Laster, and Fitts will have spots

I think it's crazy to say that they will be very replaceable. We had several people say that this year about Renfroe, Frazier, Gravemen, etc. we saw this year that we really missed them.

Our fall practices should be very interesting. And I hope Burdick makes it to campus. He sent a tweet out thanking the Mets, making it sound like he was going pro.

Exactly. It is going to be hard to replace those guys- and the bullpen becomes a concern now because of both Holder and Lindgren leaving. I'm usually cautious about guys replacing someone like Pirtle, but I am more optimistic than normal about Holland being able to do it simply because he has ACC experience.

I think Burdick will come to school despite that tweet.

I do think our starting pitching will be better, our bullpen will probably be not as dominant but hopefully functional.

Our hitting should be better next year, and we should see our power increase at least a little bit. Collins, Rea, and Humphreys playing more will help with that. Going to the Cape is going to help Britton out as well. Garner should see more action as well.

MarketingBully01
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I read the Burdick tweet and read it as more of a thank you for drafting me, not I'm signing w you

This x1000. I believe he will be at State next year.

messageboardsuperhero
06-08-2014, 06:35 PM

I never said replacing those three would be easy- I said outside of them, we don't really lose anything too difficult to replace. The bullpen and our ability to hit for power will be the biggest question marks going into next season, followed closely by starting pitching.

Harrydawg
06-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I would not read anything in post draft tweets....negotiations begin immediately and most guys tweet something positive towards the team that drafted them, it's just good business sense until offers are made....

Saltydog
06-08-2014, 07:21 PM
being as good next year as we were this year. Unless we have three or four people to REALLY step up and have break out years, I'm not as optimistic as you guys. We'll certainly be hurting for a closer.

Todd4State
06-08-2014, 07:28 PM
being as good next year as we were this year. Unless we have three or four people to REALLY step up and have break out years, I'm not as optimistic as you guys. We'll certainly be hurting for a closer.

A lot of that depends on the SEC schedule next year, which hasn't been released. I think our OOC schedule will be pretty tough assuming Arizona gets their act together next year and then the fact that we have to play Houston, Baylor, and Nebraska in Houston.

MsStateBaseball
06-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Guys, please. You must stop thinking what we lose each year, this is college. The new guys always step up. They are very talented. Worry about recruiting, not who we lose.