PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Woodruff, signees draft

MsStateBaseball
06-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Thru 10 rounds Woody nor any other signees drafted-watch them go in 11th-it looks like Woody will come back, keep rest of signees. Woody got offered more out of HS than he will now.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Surely woody comes back. Being drafted outside the 10th round isn't worth giving up your senior year on a good team. Finish your degree and give yourself a chance to get healthy and move up next year.

3dawgnight15
06-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I hope that he does come back. I think he has the talent to be a Stratton type guy. He really throws down hill and has some nasty off speed stuff. Does he put it together between the ears and become the player everyone has told him he will be? Who knows but the potential is certainly there.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I hope that he does come back. I think he has the talent to be a Stratton type guy. He really throws down hill and has some nasty off speed stuff. Does he put it together between the ears and become the player everyone has told him he will be? Who knows but the potential is certainly there.

Yea, in a perfect world we would have Woody reach full potential, Hudson and Tatum break out, and Young be a flame throwing closer for us. But my guess is that Woody gets the first Friday night start, then Fitts on Saturday, and Hudson on Sunday with Ross back in the pen to start the season. If nobody rises as a starter, Ross likely moves back into the Saturday spot by SEC play. If we can keep him in the pen all year, we will probably have a lights out season.

TheRef
06-07-2014, 12:10 PM
11th round, 326th pick: The Milwaukee Brewers select RHP Brandon Woodruff from Mississippi State University.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 01:04 PM
11th round, 326th pick: The Milwaukee Brewers select RHP Brandon Woodruff from Mississippi State University.

Bet he's gone

TheRef
06-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Bet he's gone

Considering he was drafted in the 5th round out of high school.........

State82
06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
If we can keep him in the pen all year, we will probably have a lights out season.

If we are lucky enough to have this situation come to fruition, I believe you are right. Please let this be the case.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Considering he was drafted in the 5th round out of high school.........

And arm trouble dropped him to the 11th. Think he wants to risk more arm trouble or go ahead and give mlb a run? I bet the latter.

Hope I'm wrong though

MarketingBully01
06-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Bet he's gone

Why? That's a shitty draft slot for him. If he can get himself in the top 3 rounds next year, it would be worth him coming back for his senior year. He is not Evan Mitchell.

MarketingBully01
06-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Brewers small market team too. They probably couldn't throw him the money it would take to have him to go pro anyway.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Brewers small market team too. They probably couldn't throw him the money it would take to have him to go pro anyway.

This is true.

I just think he has to be sitting around thinking I should've signed the first time. Will he roll the dice again?

He's a TJ surgery away from dropping even farther. Of course, if he gets healthy and regains pre-injury form, he moves up considerably.

I hope he stays, but I'm doubtful

MarketingBully01
06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Also Woodruff is going to the summer leagues = not interested in signing big league contract. I doubt they could pay him any money at that slot position that would be worth anything compared to a break out senior season would hold that could get him into the first or second round. Just speculating but I think he is coming back.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Also Woodruff is going to the summer leagues = not interested in signing big league contract. I doubt they could pay him any money at that slot position that would be worth anything compared to a break out senior season would hold that could get him into the first or second round. Just speculating but I think he is coming back.

Hope you're right and woodruff has a stellar senior year

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Brewers rank #16 in current payroll and our in 1st place in the standings. They have an awesome ballpark and a good fan base with tons of good hitters in their system. They lack quality pitching but aren't afraid to go get arms see Lohse and Garza signings this year. The Brewers are a good team to get drafted by. If I'm him I've got to think long and hard on this one. He'd have to have an awesome SR year to move up significantly higher than 11th round. Hope he comes back but that's me being selfish. The Brewers are a great opportunity for him. Either way I'll be rooting for him.

16. Milwaukee Brewers $103,844,806

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 01:34 PM
The Yankees just drafted this guy too, ha. That means they just drafted 2 Kenny Powers this weekend.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Haha Holder is better but that guy might have the look down better. Hilarious

RAYn_Man
06-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Woody going in the 11th makes me feel like he's gone. The teams call players each night, and they probably called him and asked him if he would go in the 11th. He probably said yes, and they wouldn't have taken him if it wasn't a sure thing.

bulldogcountry1
06-07-2014, 02:23 PM
He did absolutely nothing this year and got drafted in the 11th. Just think where he could go after a decent season.

TheRef
06-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Still no Pirtle......

TheRef
06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
700th pick of the draft: Detroit Tigers select Brett Pirtle.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Hell yes

cbrunt29
06-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Good for him.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 03:16 PM

What round is that?

cbrunt29
06-07-2014, 03:50 PM
What round is that?

23rd

msstate7
06-07-2014, 03:56 PM
23rd

Thanks. Couldn't be happier for brett. Really hope he makes it

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 04:00 PM
The Padres drafted Johnny Manziel, yes THAT Johnny Manziel in the 28th round.

TheRef
06-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Brewers drafted Taylor Stark (Former Dawg) from Delta State

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Haha that's awesome!! Why waste a pick though?

msstate7
06-07-2014, 04:02 PM

If he bombs football, do the padres have his baseball rights? What's the thinking here?

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-07-2014, 04:05 PM
What did stark do once he left?

Saltydog
06-07-2014, 04:23 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=209518690

"I would like to thank the Bulldog family for all the support and encouragement over the past few years,? Woodruff said. ?I am excited to see what the future holds, knowing that Starkville will always be my home."

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 04:35 PM

"I would like to thank the Bulldog family for all the support and encouragement over the past few years,? Woodruff said. ?I am excited to see what the future holds, knowing that Starkville will always be my home."

http://youtu.be/KJNCSuL-lEM

maroonmania
06-07-2014, 04:35 PM

I'm fine for him to go because I just don't think we would have ever gotten anything out of him anyway. Other than a couple of decent games his freshman year he's shown nothing at the college level. Yea Stratton struggled his sophomore year but he had very good freshman and junior years. Woodruff just seems to get hit like a scrub every time he comes in. Wish him well though, maybe some minor league coaches can straighten him out.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Ouch, so Lindgren, Holder, Woodruff. Here's to hoping we have some young pitchers step up this off season

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Ouch, so Lindgren, Holder, Woodruff. Here's to hoping we have some young pitchers step up this off season

Don't forget Bracewell.

Sexton and Hudson have to step up ASAP. Tatum looks good. Ross is the wild card. In not expecting much more from Fitts than 3 innings. He can be "Bracewell" next year. Brown and Cox should recover nicely. Laster is in Massachusetts.

Houston Gentry McCord and Shelly gives us arms to count on. But the sophomores will need to fulfill potential and be starters.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Cox won't be ready until at least mid season in all likelihood. It takes about a year to recover from Tommy John.

I also wouldn't say we can count on Shelly for the same reason, although he should be back slightly sooner. Houston didn't pitch much and McCord is a freshman. Hard to say that we can count on them at this point.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 05:47 PM

We need the freshmen from the past season to step up along with Gentry. We also have a JUCO guy coming in named Daniel Brown that I'm expecting to pitch a lot more now.

We need Paul Young to come back strong as well. The difference between him and Cox and Shelly is he had Tommy John earlier in the season and therefore should in theory be back sooner.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Is it too late to add more Juco arms for next year?

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 05:53 PM

Waddell kid. Throws a nasty change up.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Waddell kid. Throws a nasty change up.

I thought it was a slider?

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 06:05 PM
I thought it was a slider?

He may have one but his change is damn good. Wouldn't mind him pinch hitting either, kids got power.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:06 PM

It's not too late, but I don't think it's likely.

With Fitts, Ross, Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Houston, and Gentry we should have enough out of that group alone to field a functional pitching staff. We know Ross and Laster can go deep into games. I think Fitts could have gone deeper than he did a lot of times, but they wanted to make sure that we maximized Lindgren. We need to avoid the Tommy John monster and Stratton sophomore yearitis from the freshmen.

Daniel Brown, Paul Young and everyone else are wildcards to me at this point.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:08 PM
He may have one but his change is damn good. Wouldn't mind him pinch hitting either, kids got power.

I haven't seen him pitch. I thought I saw Jarrod Parks say on twitter that he had a wipe out slider. I could be mistaken.

He might get a look at first base in the fall.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Dale Burdick just got drafted by the Mets in the 40th round. Should be good to go to Starkville.

smootness
06-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Dale Burdick just got drafted by the Mets in the 40th round. Should be good to go to Starkville.

I think he's gonna be a stud. And I think Gridley has been overlooked, too.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Baseball recruiting isn't my strong suite. What position?

State82
06-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Middle infielder from TN

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:45 PM

With what we have coming in, I think he will play 2B/3B. But Burdick has power- he hit 13 home runs last year.

If I had to compare him to someone on the team, I would expect him to have about the same kind of year that Reid Humphreys had for us this year. He should be starting for us by his sophomore year once Heck and Britton graduate. He will compete for playing time as a freshman and will get some action next year.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
I think he's gonna be a stud. And I think Gridley has been overlooked, too.

Gridley is going to be a .300 hitter for us. His size is what held him back as far as MLB. He's only like 5'8" or so. He is going to play hard and get dirty, steal bases, bunt, etc. He's the kind of guy that we're going to be glad that he is on our team.

He nearly hit .500 in a really good high school baseball league.

msstate7
06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
With what we have coming in, I think he will play 2B/3B. But Burdick has power- he hit 13 home runs last year.

If I had to compare him to someone on the team, I would expect him to have about the same kind of year that Reid Humphreys had for us this year. He should be starting for us by his sophomore year once Heck and Britton graduate. He will compete for playing time as a freshman and will get some action next year.

Good deal