CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Hmmm

https://twitter.com/rivals_robbie/status/475094097599160320

HereComesTheSpiral
06-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Hmmm

https://twitter.com/rivals_robbie/status/475094097599160320

Must have hung out with ULL players last week and put a few needles in his ass cheeks.

msstate7
06-06-2014, 10:19 PM
If he wants any playing time next season, he better quit. Bunt it daniel*

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 10:24 PM
If my calculations are correct that equals Rea's entire post-Holy Cross season.

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 10:26 PM
If my calculations are correct that equals Rea's entire post-Holy Cross season.

If my calculations are right garner would have smashed the school record for strikeouts if he had 200 at bats. I hope he does well in summer league and comes back a new guy. But summer league all stars don't make great sec players just because.

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 10:28 PM
If my calculations are right garner would have smashed the school record for strikeouts if he had 200 at bats. I hope he does well in summer league and comes back a new guy. But summer league all stars don't make great sec players just because.

Strikeouts suck yes but hitting into double plays suck more

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Rea will likely set the all time SEC record in K's if back and you say that about Garner and his 40ish AB's... Let him get in a groove and some playing time rather than 1 or 2 AB's here and there.

Coach34
06-06-2014, 10:33 PM
If Rea isnt playing this summer working on his craft- I dont really want him back either.

msstate7
06-06-2014, 10:35 PM
If Rea isnt playing this summer working on his craft- I dont really want him back either.

At least snatch the "C" off his uniform and let him know 1st base will be open competition

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Rea will likely set the all time SEC record in K's if back and you say that about Garner and his 40ish AB's... Let him get in a groove and some playing time rather than 1 or 2 AB's here and there.

That's a really poor rebuttal. I never said rea was a good hitter. However, you did say garner got screwed of playing time. How many more punch outs do you need to see? 5-10-20? What? Don't give me this get in a groove bs. He stuck out .500 of the time. Period. I'm afraid to wait and see what a grove would have been w him. He's a dh that strikes out a lot.

I seen it dawg
06-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Pioneer is will is Clancy is Cartman. All never played an inning yet act like they are joe torre. Arguing is futile against such an idiot.

engie
06-06-2014, 10:54 PM
His K rate will go down over time. At least most of them do. Some guys require playing everyday to settle in. Garner may very well be one of those guys.

One thing -- he certainly needs to be finding a position this offseason. Otherwise, he's Nick Flair in that he can absolutely mash, but is a defensive liability at any position in the field...

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:24 PM
His K rate will go down over time. At least most of them do. Some guys require playing everyday to settle in. Garner may very well be one of those guys.

One thing -- he certainly needs to be finding a position this offseason. Otherwise, he's Nick Flair in that he can absolutely mash, but is a defensive liability at any position in the field...

This is Garner's main problem right now. That and he struck out almost every at bat in SEC play. That will get better over time with experience. Like I said- Garner = Jon Knott.

preachermatt83
06-07-2014, 09:21 PM
if anybody thinks an everyday Rea is better than an everyday Garner they are dumb. Rea has been good for us for one post-season. Other than that he's never been very good. He never acts like he cares, he seems lazy, and should never have been a starter at MSU. Period!

engie
06-07-2014, 09:38 PM
if anybody thinks an everyday Rea is better than an everyday Garner they are dumb. Rea has been good for us for one post-season. Other than that he's never been very good. He never acts like he cares, he seems lazy, and should never have been a starter at MSU. Period!

Good.
Gosh.

messageboardsuperhero
06-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Maybe the dumbest thing I've read all month.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Jesus, Preacher.

RC3
06-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Wes Rea is an outstanding first baseman but the man has never been able to hit an off speed pitch and couldn't hit fastballs this year either. Needs to work on it. I won't blame him if he doesn't work on it this summer but he should then not expect to start next year. Just my ,02

smootness
06-07-2014, 10:35 PM

People also get on Cohen, though, for having 'his guys' and continuing to start someone despite poor performance because he believes they'll break out at some point. But then these same people are advocating him doing this very same thing with Garner.

Garner has a lot of potential in his bat, and I obviously hope he realizes all of it. But the bottom line is, he struck out constantly when he did play in the SEC. At what point do you say you can't wait for him to break out? Is it two consecutive weeks of starting? That would likely be too long. He needs to prove next year that he can get it done, in whatever sample size he's given.

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 10:51 PM
People also get on Cohen, though, for having 'his guys' and continuing to start someone despite poor performance because he believes they'll break out at some point. But then these same people are advocating him doing this very same thing with Garner.

Garner has a lot of potential in his bat, and I obviously hope he realizes all of it. But the bottom line is, he struck out constantly when he did play in the SEC. At what point do you say you can't wait for him to break out? Is it two consecutive weeks of starting? That would likely be too long. He needs to prove next year that he can get it done, in whatever sample size he's given.

To be fair Rea constantly struck out without hitting shit too and played on and on. If he is a starter next year he will set the all time SEC K record. Please do not compare Garners strikeouts to that. Daniel Garner would not set the league K record. Rea has finished 1, 2, and 6 in the league K category with te year he finished 6th being because of injuries limiting playing time.

Homedawg
06-07-2014, 10:59 PM
To be fair Rea constantly struck out without hitting shit too and played on and on. If he is a starter next year he will set the all time SEC K record. Please do not compare Garners strikeouts to that. Daniel Garner would not set the league K record. Rea has finished 1, 2, and 6 in the league K category with te year he finished 6th being because of injuries limiting playing time.
Your right he won't, because after punching out 20 times in 42 at bats we sat his ass down. Rea didn't punch out that much as a fr. So I'd love to know which book told you garner's rate would fall so fast. For a guy so hung up on stats it's amazing you ignore this one.
Eta. Rea is a very good defensive first baseman, garner has no position, yet you promote him dhing for us. A team that had it's struggles to say the least, and you say a guy who swings and misses to dh? Stupid

smootness
06-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Dude, I know, you've only posted the exact same thing in 20 other threads. But what evidence is there to suggest Garner would not have struck out as much as Rea?

We do have evidence of Rea being a pretty good hitter as a sophomore, none of Garner doing the same.

So at best, you're suggesting that it was insane to keep playing one guy who didn't hit well and K'd a lot instead of continuing to play someone who wasn't hitting well and was striking out almost every AB. You're suggesting that hoping Rea would turn it around was insane because you know another hitter, with less experience and less of a track record, was going to turn it around if we had just continued playing him. Got it.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 11:10 PM

I'm interested in seeing the list of all-time most strikeouts by hitters in the SEC's history. Care to link it? Can you also link where you see Rea as 1,2 and 6? Not calling it a lie I'd just like to look myself. Thx

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 11:14 PM
2012 Strikeouts
----------
1. Tanner English, SC......... 71
2. Wes Rea, MS................ 68
3. Drew Steckenrider, UT...... 61
4. Connor Harrell, VU......... 57
Evan Marzilli, SC.......... 57
6. Hunter Cole, UG............ 56
7. Mason Katz, LS............. 52
8. Hunter Renfroe, MS......... 51
A.J. Reed, UK.............. 51
10.Jacob Morris, AR........... 50
Chris Pierce, UT........... 50
12.Thomas McCarthy, UK........ 49

2013 Strikeouts
----------
1. Connor Harrell, VU......... 62
2. Matt Vinson, AR............ 54
3. Austen Smith, UA........... 50
Hunter Cole, UG............ 50
LB Dantzler, SC............ 50
6. Wes Rea, MS................ 48
Kenny Roberts, UA.......... 48
8. Troy Stein, AM............. 47
Taylor Smart, UT........... 47
Ryan Tella, AU............. 47
11.Preston Overbey, UM........ 46
Austin Cousino, UK......... 46
Tanner English, SC......... 46
14.Alex Detz, MS.............. 45
Mikey White, UA............
2014 Strikeouts
----------
1. Wes Rea, MS................ 55
2. Will Haynie, UA............ 51
Casey Hughston, UA......... 51
4. Shane Segovia, MO.......... 50
Preston Overbey, UM........ 50
6. Max Kuhn, UK............... 49
Hunter Cole, UG............ 49
Wade Wass, UA.............. 49
9. A.J. Reed, UK.............. 48
10.Tanner English, SC......... 46
11.Eric Fisher, AR............ 45
John Norwood, VU........... 45
13.David Houser, UT........... 44
Mikey White, UA............ 44
15.3 tied at.................. 43

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2012/lgplyrs.htm
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2013/lgplyrs.htm
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2014/lgplyrs.htm

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 11:18 PM
But what evidence is there to suggest Garner would not have struck out as much as Rea?

With full playing time being a Fall American (.305/.446/.508.. 3 HR) and over twice as many plate appearances as the regular season, Garner's K% was less than half of what it was in limited, sparse playing time during the regular season. (18.9% K rate in the fall playing every day... or equal to Cody Brown)

smootness
06-07-2014, 11:18 PM
So let me get this straight...you think a guy who struck out 20 times in 44 ABs would have somehow managed to strike out less than 35 more times if given an extra 156 ABs?

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Ha hi Wes Rea

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 11:20 PM
So let me get this straight...you think a guy who struck out 20 times in 44 ABs would have somehow managed to strike out less than 35 more times if given an extra 156 ABs?

Yes, especially if he was playing full-time from the jump he wouldn't be 20 in 44 AB... You should use plate appearances btw.

Original48
06-07-2014, 11:21 PM
By his craft you mean O line. Man he missed out on his money sport.

smootness
06-07-2014, 11:30 PM
With full playing time being a Fall American (.305/.446/.508.. 3 HR) and over twice as many plate appearances as the regular season, Garner's K% was less than half of what it was in limited, sparse playing time during the regular season. (18.9% K rate in the fall playing every day... or equal to Cody Brown)

Fall stats?

The same fall in which Rea hit over .300, Cody Walker hit over .400, Britton hit 40 points better than Pirtle, and Brandon Woodruff pitched like a 1st rounder while walking one?

In other words, phenomenal. You have fall scrimmage stats, I have stats against actual SEC pitching in real games.

Your condescension is hilarious.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2014, 11:33 PM
2012 Strikeouts
----------
1. Tanner English, SC......... 71
2. Wes Rea, MS................ 68
3. Drew Steckenrider, UT...... 61
4. Connor Harrell, VU......... 57
Evan Marzilli, SC.......... 57
6. Hunter Cole, UG............ 56
7. Mason Katz, LS............. 52
8. Hunter Renfroe, MS......... 51
A.J. Reed, UK.............. 51
10.Jacob Morris, AR........... 50
Chris Pierce, UT........... 50
12.Thomas McCarthy, UK........ 49

2013 Strikeouts
----------
1. Connor Harrell, VU......... 62
2. Matt Vinson, AR............ 54
3. Austen Smith, UA........... 50
Hunter Cole, UG............ 50
LB Dantzler, SC............ 50
6. Wes Rea, MS................ 48
Kenny Roberts, UA.......... 48
8. Troy Stein, AM............. 47
Taylor Smart, UT........... 47
Ryan Tella, AU............. 47
11.Preston Overbey, UM........ 46
Austin Cousino, UK......... 46
Tanner English, SC......... 46
14.Alex Detz, MS.............. 45
Mikey White, UA............
2014 Strikeouts
----------
1. Wes Rea, MS................ 55
2. Will Haynie, UA............ 51
Casey Hughston, UA......... 51
4. Shane Segovia, MO.......... 50
Preston Overbey, UM........ 50
6. Max Kuhn, UK............... 49
Hunter Cole, UG............ 49
Wade Wass, UA.............. 49
9. A.J. Reed, UK.............. 48
10.Tanner English, SC......... 46
11.Eric Fisher, AR............ 45
John Norwood, VU........... 45
13.David Houser, UT........... 44
Mikey White, UA............ 44
15.3 tied at.................. 43

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2012/lgplyrs.htm
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2013/lgplyrs.htm
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2014/lgplyrs.htm

My gosh, look at the company he's in though. Hardly says he sucks. English, Dantzler, Cousino, Harrell, Hunter Renfroe, etc... Only some of the best SEC players the last few years. Sorry man, your argument is very weak on this one. I think Garner will be good, but he is nowhere close to stealing a spot from Wes Rea. Not to mention the defense...Garner was a bad defensive catcher after playing it for years...now all of the sudden he's going to replace one of the best defensive first basemen in the SEC? Did you see all of the short hops missed by first basemen today and yesterday? I think all of you Rea bashers take him for granted defensively. Is he a great hitter? Hell no. But he is nowhere NEAR as horrible and replaceable as some of you try to portray him.

smootness
06-07-2014, 11:35 PM
My gosh, look at the company he's in though. Hardly says he sucks. English, Dantzler, Cousino, Harrell, etc... Only some of the best SEC players the last few years. Sorry man, your argument is very weak on this one. I think Garner will be good, but he is nowhere close to stealing a spot from Wes Rea. Not to mention the defense...Garner was a bad defensive catcher after playing it for years...now all of the sudden he's going to replace one of the best defensive first basemen in the SEC? Did you see all of the short hops missed by first basemen today and yesterday? I think all of you Rea bashers take him for granted defensively. Is he great? Hell no. But he is nowhere NEAR as horrible and replaceable as some of you try to portray him.

Were it a different argument with different people, he'd be telling us all how meaningless strikeouts are. And I'd agree with him somewhat. He's a hack, just one who picks and chooses which parts of Sabermetrics he'll use for which argument.

Pioneer Dawg
06-07-2014, 11:46 PM
he'd be telling us all how meaningless strikeouts are.

1. They're more meaningful in college where defenses are not near as strong as in the pro's. MLB BABIP usually right around .300... Our BABIP was .321 this year.. Balls in play turn into hits more often in college, not to mention getting on via error more in the college game.

2. K's are okay if in turn you are producing power. I dont want Giancarlo Stanton or AJ Reed taking much off with 2 strikes. Rea hits 2 non-Holy Cross home runs this year.. His output doesn't justify the K's.

Pioneer Dawg
06-08-2014, 12:02 AM
My gosh, look at the company he's in though. Hardly says he sucks.

Look at the production though. The company itself doesn't say shit. I Seen It Dawg could pinch hit 55 times for us and be among the same group in K's. Doesn't mean he's in the same skill group.