PDA

View Full Version : Woodruff/Britton to the Cape, Rea nowhere to be found...

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 07:40 PM
...per MSU Baseball tweet. Not final though.

msstate7
06-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Did he go anywhere last year? Pretty sure he didnt after his RS freshman year

MadisonDawg
06-06-2014, 07:43 PM
No he worked on his deep sea fishing

I seen it dawg
06-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Mowing yards

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm more interested in how the hiring of ULL's hitting coach is going?

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Did he go anywhere last year? Pretty sure he didnt after his RS freshman year

As I said in the other thread- he had a foot injury at the end of last year that he played through during the postseason. He spent the offseason recovering from that.

Bark
06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
He needs to call Jenny Craig this off season. He's got potential if he would just work at it and lose about 30 lbs. He needs reps swinging the bat not casting the old rod and reel.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-06-2014, 08:32 PM
As I said in the other thread- he had a foot injury at the end of last year that he played through during the postseason. He spent the offseason recovering from that.

I've never heard that before

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I've never heard that before

Todd is correct.

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
If we start Daniel garner at first next year you will James and the rest if the rea haters will be wishing he were back.

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I repeat: if Rea's pansy ass doesn't play summer ball, I don't care if he even bothers to come back. Either fix your shit or move outta the way and let someone else have a turn.

bulldogcountry1
06-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I can't say a summer wood bat league it the best thing for him. I actually agree that a strong hitting and fitness regimen is probably what he needs. I think the summer leagues are as much for the mental part of the game as anything, and I don't think that's Rea's issue. He needs instruction and thousands of reps. If he tweets pics of bluegill and redfish all summer, I think he'll lose a lot of respect with the team and fans...and he'll still not be able to hit.

preachermatt83
06-06-2014, 09:13 PM

so the only successful stint of his MSU career came when he was injured? Somebody go kick him in the big toe before next season starts!

preachermatt83
06-06-2014, 09:15 PM
If Britton is at the Cape, he may come back as an all-American type next year. He already has the glove and his bat was coming around nicely. A summer of great instructional hitting may put him into another level.

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I can't say a summer wood bat league it the best thing for him. I actually agree that a strong hitting and fitness regimen is probably what he needs. I think the summer leagues are as much for the mental part of the game as anything, and I don't think that's Rea's issue. He needs instruction and thousands of reps. If he tweets pics of bluegill and redfish all summer, I think he'll lose a lot of respect with the team and fans...and he'll still not be able to hit.

Rea was a total mental mess by the end. As for fitness, Wes just isn't going to get much smaller. People need to accept that and move one. 275 is actually a good size for him with his frame. There isn't a whole lot of extra fat on him now. What he needs is top tier hitting instruction and the extra reps summer ball provides to work on the changes. Plus, he needs to go somewhere he can have some success and get his confidence back. If he isn't willing to do any of that, the hell with him.

DawgSaint
06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I repeat: if Rea's pansy ass doesn't play summer ball, I don't care if he even bothers to come back. Either fix your shit or move outta the way and let someone else have a turn.

How about we arrange a meeting for you to tell him that to his face? Fair enough?

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Our "fans" have totally lost their damn minds. "Pansy ass", "Jenny Craig", etc? Jesus.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Our "fans" have totally lost their damn minds. "Pansy ass", "Jenny Craig", etc? Jesus.

Love to eat our own. Didnt you hear Renfroe and Paps are the worst players to ever play baseball?***

DawgSaint
06-06-2014, 09:47 PM

These same idiots demand our coaches recruit top level talent, but yet hide out on internet boards and bash our own players. Just plain stupid! Walk up to Wes and tell him he is a pansy. If you got the balls to do that go right ahead, but even if you did you would still be an idiot!

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 09:48 PM
If we start Daniel garner at first next year you will James and the rest if the rea haters will be wishing he were back.

Bookmarked

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Bookmarked

Good. Bookmark it. Glad u even responded. He punched out .500 of all at bats. Forget the league. We know that was brutal. Yet you say he got screwed out of playing time. Rea wasn't that bad his redshirt fr year. There are better odds garner isn't back than him being our starting first baseman. Book mark that too.

I seen it dawg
06-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Bookmarked

Ever play the game? Bookmark that...say it!!!!!!

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Ever play the game? Bookmark that...say it!!!!!!

No worries. I'll never hear from this again. However, he will spend hours picking out things said, or weren't said, and put words in your mouth. Reading comprehension isn't his strong suit. Then when shot down, he will climb in a hole.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Why can't Rea improve and have a big Senior year, AND Garner have a big season as our DH? Why does it have to be one or the other? If they're both in the lineup, we'll have more K's, but more bombs and doubles too

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Why can't Rea improve and have a big Senior year, AND Garner have a big season as our DH? Why does it have to be one or the other? If they're both in the lineup, we'll have more K's, but more bombs and doubles too

This can happen. Not a one or the other. I hope. But this year garner wasn't a good option. Period.

Coach34
06-06-2014, 11:13 PM
This can happen. Not a one or the other. I hope. But this year garner wasn't a good option. Period.

agreed. I just want Rea to playsome ball this Summer. If he doesnt- dont want him back. He needs the work

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:18 PM
No worries. I'll never hear from this again. However, he will spend hours picking out things said, or weren't said, and put words in your mouth. Reading comprehension isn't his strong suit. Then when shot down, he will climb in a hole.

THIS ALL DAY LONG.

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 11:22 PM

He was a redshirt freshman only 2 years removed from being named 1st Team Louisville Slugger All-American. Why the hate? The only extended playing time he's seen was during summer ball in California where he was named an All-Star. Seems like a high upside player to me. Saying he isn't good because he had 20 k's this year in only 44 ABs spread over the entire season is less than fair. He was just a RS freshman. Are they all supposed to be Yasiel Puig right out the gate?

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:29 PM
He was a redshirt freshman only 2 years removed from being named 1st Team Louisville Slugger All-American. Why the hate? The only extended playing time he's seen was during summer ball in California where he was named an All-Star. Seems like a high upside player to me. Saying he isn't good because he had 20 k's this year in only 44 ABs spread over the entire season is less than fair. He was just a RS freshman. Are they all supposed to be Yasiel Puig right out the gate?

I know you weren't talking to me, but...

I think Garner is going to be a very good player for us. But people need to understand that last year he simply wasn't ready. When he actually makes contact, he tends to hit it hard. BUT he needs to make contact more often.

I've seen a lot of people say "well, he needed time to get into a groove". The other side to that coin is if we played him a lot and he had a ton of golden sombrero's (4K games) it could also completely ruin his confidence and mess him up his entire career.

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Redshirt freshman are going to struggle in the SEC. How many pitchers in the SEC just got drafted and how many of Garner's ABs were against drafted pitchers? If Garner strikes out vs Nola or Beede does that mean he's overrated? Not at all. It means he's a redshirt freshman facing the 7th pick or 13th pick. The experience he gained will make him a better player. Most players need time to fail and learn before they can grow and develop.

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 11:55 PM

I don't have any hate for garner. None whatsoever. But as I've said numerous times he got all the playing time he needed this year and more. As for the k ratio I don't care what year you are that's bad and we can't give away that many outs. We have enough struggles as it is. Can he be a good player? Yea I hope so. However, being a hs all American or not doesn't give him more leeway in my eyes as far as production. In most cases- notice I said most- players have shown by the end of their 2nd year whether or not they will be productive down the road. I'm not saying they have peaked , but just the ability to play and compete. Striking out at such a high rate is not a good sign. Low batting avg? Who cares. Heck people are raising hell about Wes rea because he can't hit and strikes out a ton. Guess what he did the same thing as rs fr as garner but did it at a way lower rate. Some get better. Some get a lot better. But for garner a lot bette would be cutting his k's in half. Which would only equal the rate rea struck out this year!!! I'd love for garner to be a great player, we need that. But for those who say he should have played more this year need to go read more books on the game.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 12:16 AM
His ABs are important for his development. When he will be depended on most to produce is as a JR. and SR. and he can't become that type of player without getting some experience/ABs this year and next. I'm not calling for more ABs for him right now. Let's see how he does over the summer and fall and maybe then I will. Arguing about Garner seems pointless to me right now. He was a redshirt freshman. It's a process. The "newbies" need their ABs so they don't suck when they will be relied upon most 2 years down the road. Garner isn't alone in this process. Sprinkled amongst all SEC teams are freshman that will get some experience so they can develop. If we only gave the ABs to juniors and seniors we'd suck really bad every 2 years.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 01:32 AM
His ABs are important for his development. When he will be depended on most to produce is as a JR. and SR. and he can't become that type of player without getting some experience/ABs this year and next. I'm not calling for more ABs for him right now. Let's see how he does over the summer and fall and maybe then I will. Arguing about Garner seems pointless to me right now. He was a redshirt freshman. It's a process. The "newbies" need their ABs so they don't suck when they will be relied upon most 2 years down the road. Garner isn't alone in this process. Sprinkled amongst all SEC teams are freshman that will get some experience so they can develop. If we only gave the ABs to juniors and seniors we'd suck really bad every 2 years.

If I had to guess, Garner is probably the front runner for DH right now. The truth is Garner was blocked just as much by Alex Detz as he was Rea- maybe even moreso. It kind of depends on the outfield situation- if Robson recovers we likely will make Reid Humphreys the DH, and the truth is Reid is ahead of where Garner is at this time.

Garner's good start is a positive sign for sure- that's what I want to see from him. As well as learning how to play first base. But that's what the summer leagues are for- so younger players can get quality at bats against good competition that they aren't going to get as freshmen playing in the SEC. And then as they get older, they start to perform in front of scouts in a league like the Cape Cod.

People forget that Hunter Renfroe hardly played as a freshman and Adam Frazier was a guy that struggled some as a freshman and was probably a question mark in the eyes of many of our fans going into his sophomore year.

RTO Dawg
06-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Embarrassing

The Croom Diaries
06-07-2014, 10:05 AM
If he tweets pics of bluegill and redfish all summer, I think he'll lose a lot of respect with the team and fans...and he'll still not be able to hit.

He's a college kid, let him do whatever he wants to do. Is he even on a full scholarship? Probably not. If he wants to have fun while he still can more power to him. I'm not worried about 1st base. If he isn't hitting next year he'll lose the job.

smootness
06-07-2014, 11:23 AM
We've got several guys I'm excited to track during the summer...several with serious talent who could take the next step this summer and be ready to be studs for us next year...Woodruff, Humphreys, Garner, Swinarski, Hudson, Robson, Britton, etc.

NCDawg
06-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Wish Rea would consider joining the football team. We need help on the OL, and as we heard announcers say numerous times during the season, "he was a 4 star OL in high school".

TheRef
06-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Wish Rea would consider joining the football team. We need help on the OL, and as we heard announcers say numerous times during the season, "he was a 4 star OL in high school".

http://floridastate.scout.com/a.z?s=16&p=8&c=1&nid=3908627

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 11:41 AM

No offense to Rea but he'd get slaughtered at this point. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/69983/wes-rea

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2014, 11:54 AM
agreed. I just want Rea to playsome ball this Summer. If he doesnt- dont want him back. He needs the work

Don't understand why this is such a controversial statement. I just said it more colorfully than you.

TheRef
06-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Lucas Laster headed to the Cape Cod League.

Oh....and Daniel Garner has 2 HR in 2 games.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Lucas Laster headed to the Cape Cod League.

Oh....and Daniel Garner has 2 HR in 2 games.

Awesome news on Laster. I think he can really be a good one if he can really refine his control. If he can paint the outside corner he'll be the Friday guy that can go deep into games that we all hope for. Gotta get a lot more consistent with his mechanics/control first though.