PDA

View Full Version : Confederates have lost their top recruit, Ellis, Bousfield and now Laxer to MLB......

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 05:20 PM
.....in addition to their seniors (Allen, Greenwood, Anderson, Weathersby, Massie, Overbey. Lots of contributors right there. If Orifice and Trent go soon, there are up shit creek next season. Better get it done with weekend, rebears.

USM lost some dude from Alabama off their team too. Where is Mason Robbins and Conner Barron? They were big time gets for them 3 years ago when Lindgren/Holder's class was in HS.

basedog
06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Btw, I haven't seen anywhere, so for about Woodruff being drafted. Maybe he will be back and get things worked out which would be huge for next year!

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 05:33 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/drafttracker.jsp#ft=round&fv=10

Not yet, Round 10 in progress, and that's it for today.

Coach34
06-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Woody being outside the Top 10 means he probably should roll the dice and return

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
I think Holder being drafted so high was a loss for us IMO. He went higher than I expected. Woodruff not being drafted is a win for us- I'm sure I'll get some disagreement there. Dale Burdick not being drafted is a win- for now.

For Ole Miss, Clay Casey, Trent, and Orvis not being drafted so far are wins for them. It definitely increases the odds that those guys could be back- two of which are unexpected.

For USM, Blake Anderson is a big loss. They simply haven't developed Mason Robbins and Conner Barron has had some injuries. I never was all that high on Barron.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Btw, I haven't seen anywhere, so for about Woodruff being drafted. Maybe he will be back and get things worked out which would be huge for next year!

Losing Holder and Lindgren means that we need our starters to go deeper. Which means we need Woodruff to get his act together.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Any chance we give up on Woodruff as a starter and try to turn him into a closer now that Lindgren AND Holder are gone?

Just curious. I'm not counting on him either way

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Woody has potential to be as good as lindgren. They are similar in the fact that they have major league stuff.
Lindgren finally came around. If woody can, look out. He can be as good or better than Nola if he can locate.

He has the body and tools. He throws the ball effortlessly.

HancockCountyDog
06-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Actually I'm disappointed that the bears weren't hit harder.

Everyone they have lost so far was expected. I'm ready for Lee, Trent and Orvis to get drafted. Also, no one expected Griffin or Forbes to make it to campus, but it looks like they will get Tate Blackman and Clay Casey on campus, both were top 100 HS players by BA. I really thought both would go pro.

If they have those five guys on campus next year, they will be thrilled.

I seen it dawg
06-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I hope like hell woody comes back proves he's not negative stones and was just hurt. Dude is dirty.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Any chance we give up on Woodruff as a starter and try to turn him into a closer now that Lindgren AND Holder are gone?

Just curious. I'm not counting on him either way

I think it's certainly possible. Fitts, Ross, and Laster at a minimum have all proven that they can start. I'd keep an eye on Paul Young. He can throw hard, but he will also be a year out from Tommy John. Him being a closer for a year might be a good way to transition him. Dakota Hudson might be someone to keep an eye on, or any of the other freshmen from this past season- including Zac Houston. I've seen Genespage metion Myles Gentry as the closer- but I highly doubt that will happen. I think he is going to be more of a Caleb Reed type of guy.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Actually I'm disappointed that the bears weren't hit harder.

Everyone they have lost so far was expected. I'm ready for Lee, Trent and Orvis to get drafted. Also, no one expected Griffin or Forbes to make it to campus, but it looks like they will get Tate Blackman and Clay Casey on campus, both were top 100 HS players by BA. I really thought both would go pro.

If they have those five guys on campus next year, they will be thrilled.

They still might lose those guys although I would have been surprised if Lee doesn't come back.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I hope like hell woody comes back proves he's not negative stones and was just hurt. Dude is dirty.

Woodruff had some games where our defense let him down at the end of the year. He pitched better than his numbers indicate.

I seen it dawg
06-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Gascan gentry will not close. Please

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I think it's certainly possible. Fitts, Ross, and Laster at a minimum have all proven that they can start. I'd keep an eye on Paul Young. He can throw hard, but he will also be a year out from Tommy John. Him being a closer for a year might be a good way to transition him. Dakota Hudson might be someone to keep an eye on, or any of the other freshmen from this past season- including Zac Houston. I've seen Genespage metion Myles Gentry as the closer- but I highly doubt that will happen. I think he is going to be more of a Caleb Reed type of guy.

Myles is not a closer and never will be IMO. A set up guy or inning eater, maybe, but I don't understand the love for him. And IMO it's an insult to Caleb Reed at this point to compare them. Not saying you were...bc I agree that he could END UP like Reed if anybody...not Girodo, Lindgren, or Holder. We need a power arm to close next year like you said...Woody, Hudson, Young, or heck maybe even Tatum or Shelly.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:52 PM
As far as Gentry being the closer- consider the source.

And Cadaver- yes, I see him as an inning eater. The love for him is because he has shown glimpses of being really good and is only a sophomore. I thought he finished the year pretty strong. He's still mastering the submarine motion and getting closer and closer every day.

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Didn't we just sign a Juco submarine RP?

Radddawg
06-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Woody has potential to be as good as lindgren. They are similar in the fact that they have major league stuff.
Lindgren finally came around. If woody can, look out. He can be as good or better than Nola .

I agree***

basedog
06-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I think Woodruff has to be thinking he will be back. After all he was drafted out of High School in the 5th round I think.

I hate thinking or saying this, I just don't think he will be the player everyone thought coming out of High School. That injury just did him in and I don't think (as of today) he has the confidence needed to succeed. Hope I'm wrong, and I hope he comes back as a starter and turns this thing around.

HancockCountyDog
06-06-2014, 09:14 PM
They still might lose those guys although I would have been surprised if Lee doesn't come back.

Lee is most likely to go according to folk down this way.

Only way Casey and Blackman go pro now is if a team has a lot of pool money left. All slot bonuses are 100k from this point forward. Both were said to want between 400-500k.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Didn't we just sign a Juco submarine RP?

Yes, Cole Barlow from Jones JC via Madison Central. I think he redshirts in part because he is basically the same guy that Gentry is. That way we can stagger submarine guys.

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:35 PM

Only way Casey and Blackman go pro now is if a team has a lot of pool money left. All slot bonuses are 100k from this point forward. Both were said to want between 400-500k.

That surprises me about Lee wanting to go. I just wasn't all that impressed with him. He'll go 10-10 with 5 home runs against ULL now.

If those two only want 400-500K, that's not really a ton of money over the slot for most teams. That might be why they haven't been drafted yet.

HancockCountyDog
06-07-2014, 12:49 AM
That surprises me about Lee wanting to go. I just wasn't all that impressed with him. He'll go 10-10 with 5 home runs against ULL now.

If those two only want 400-500K, that's not really a ton of money over the slot for most teams. That might be why they haven't been drafted yet.

300-400k over slot for players projected 4th-5th round is basically double their slot. What I mean by that, if they had been drafted 4th round they would have signed for 400-500k, right on slot.

Now that they are 10th round or higher, a team will need 300-400k available in their pool money to even have a shot at these guys. It's bad luck, the Casey kid is a player and the Blackman kid will probably start at 2b next year. I'm most pissed that Trent didn't get drafted. He will definitely come back now. I was hoping he would go.

Todd4State
06-07-2014, 01:40 AM
300-400k over slot for players projected 4th-5th round is basically double their slot. What I mean by that, if they had been drafted 4th round they would have signed for 400-500k, right on slot.

Now that they are 10th round or higher, a team will need 300-400k available in their pool money to even have a shot at these guys. It's bad luck, the Casey kid is a player and the Blackman kid will probably start at 2b next year. I'm most pissed that Trent didn't get drafted. He will definitely come back now. I was hoping he would go.

I understand- but I've seen that happen before. It just depends on how much pool money a team has left over, and having 400K is not an unheard of amount for a team to have left over. It just totally depends on how much they spend in their pool. I think something similar happened when we lost William DuPont. The Blue Jays had enough money left over that they were able to offer more to him than his slot.

Dawg61
06-07-2014, 02:19 AM
I understand- but I've seen that happen before. It just depends on how much pool money a team has left over, and having 400K is not an unheard of amount for a team to have left over. It just totally depends on how much they spend in their pool. I think something similar happened when we lost William DuPont. The Blue Jays had enough money left over that they were able to offer more to him than his slot.

It would seem to me if I'm understanding this right there's a loophole for teams to take advantage of. Say you intentionally draft a player you know won't sign then you get a compensatory draft pick the following year for that player and you have all that money still in your pool for this year to use to sign the rest of your players. The next year you then have two first round picks. So you just keep doing this. One of your first round picks is then used on a player that won't sign. (Of course this strategy could not work every time if both your first rounders sign but that's not exactly a bad thing because you've got two 1st rounders). Then you identify the players in rounds 2-10 that with a little extra signing bonus you'll be able to sign that other teams will pass on because they think the players will not sign. Am I wrong here?

Radddawg
06-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Lee was just drafted in the 12th round and Parham is reporting that he will sign. Bears will be very green in the outfield next season.