PDA

View Full Version : Robert Kirby leaving LSU for Memphis...

engie
05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Not too sure if this helps or hurts us, but I guess we'll see...

msstate7
05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Didnt he just get there?

Coach34
05-14-2013, 11:12 PM
He was hired by LSU to land Pollard in Baton Rouge- that didnt happen, so it's time to move on down the road...he's a Stands disciple, so you know he isnt there for the coaching

Raytoraid83
05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
He will thrive in the recruiting environment at Memphis. Can't be a good thing for State, look for them to jump towards the top of the Malik sweepstakes.

codeDawg
05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
He will thrive in the recruiting environment at Memphis. Can't be a good thing for State, look for them to jump towards the top of the Malik sweepstakes.

Gary Parrish said the other day that Kirby is respected in recruiting circles and, "is a guy that just knows how to get deals done."

The only good news for us is that Memphis is recruiting way out of our league and may pass on guys we are on for bigger fish in Memphis or nationally.

Coach34
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Malik is going to a Kansas, UCLA, Dook, NC or he will go Miss State (and our chances are slim)

Coach34
05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Gary Parrish said the other day that Kirby is respected in recruiting circles and, "is a guy that just knows how to get deals done."

The only good news for us is that Memphis is recruiting way out of our league and may pass on guys we are on for bigger fish in Memphis or nationally.

How many guys have we gotten out of Memphis in the last 10 years?

codeDawg
05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
How many guys have we gotten out of Memphis in the last 10 years?

Not many. My point was that they have bigger fish to fry in Memphis and Kirby won't be poking around in MS as much. Over the long term he would have been a bigger threat to our recruiting at LSU than he will be at Memphis.

Coach34
05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Not many. My point was that they have bigger fish to fry in Memphis and Kirby won't be poking around in MS as much. Over the long term he would have been a bigger threat to our recruiting at LSU than he will be at Memphis.

I agree with you there

fishwater99
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Ray seems to like to recruit there, we will see...

DawgInMemphis
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
There are few programs that can come in and take a guy from Memphis that U-Memphis is actively recruiting. We are not one of those programs. There is a tremendous amount of city pride when it comes to basketball in this city.

12five98
05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Ray seems to like to recruit there, we will see...

Yep. We are after a few guys from Memphis.

12five98
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
There are few programs that can come in and take a guy from Memphis that U-Memphis is actively recruiting. We are not one of those programs. There is a tremendous amount of city pride when it comes to basketball in this city.

It's tough but it does happen. Robert Hubbs, JuJaun Johnson, JWIII, Leslie McDonald, Elliot Williams. They won't get Laron Black and Chris Chiozza just committed to Florida. Granted, alot of these guys went to Duke, UNC, etc but it occasionally happens.

DawgInMemphis
05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
It's tough but it does happen. Robert Hubbs, JuJaun Johnson, JWIII, Leslie McDonald, Elliot Williams. They won't get Laron Black and Chris Chiozza just committed to Florida. Granted, alot of these guys went to Duke, UNC, etc but it occasionally happens.

I know it happens, but only when top tier basketball programs come calling. If Memphis and State are pursuing the same young man (and he doesn't have ties to either program), he's choosing Memphis 9/10 times. It's going to be tough for us to beat out Pastner for a Memphis kid. The Tigers weren't on Applewhite. I hope Ray can get in here and steal some guys, there's a lot of talent.

codeDawg
05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Anybody that we take out if Memphis, with or without Kirby there, it won't be because we beat Memphis for them. We might beat UT, or Mississippi for them, but not Memphis.

Raytoraid83
05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
With the exception of Stokes most big name Memphis kids are gonna go to Memphis. Seems like Ray is on the Nashville area pretty hard don't know if Memphis/Kirby will be competing for kids there.