PDA

View Full Version : Cohen says Norris will focus on pitching......

Goat Holder
05-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Norris came to him 3 weeks ago and wanted to focus on pitching. Hope he does well. Way too good of a talent for us not to get something good out of him the rest of this year and next.

Problem is, we still don't have a 3rd baseman. Frost/Detz will likely finish this year out, maybe Reid Humphries will come in and lock it down next year.

CadaverDawg
05-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Norris came to him 3 weeks ago and wanted to focus on pitching. Hope he does well. Way too good of a talent for us not to get something good out of him the rest of this year and next.

Pumps me up for next year. I'm glad Norris saw that he wasn't performing at a high level, but still cared enough and knew he was good enough to help the team in other ways. That takes guts to put your pride aside and still have the work ethic to get after it on the mound and try to make a change in position wi only a year and a few games left in your career.

It Tells me he is likely coming back next year, and that is great news for us. You can't have enou guys throwing 93 with a great breaking ball.

State82
05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
That is very encouraging. Like CD said, good for Norris. The experiment went pretty well tonight I think. Man, that Holder dude is sick! 5 batters faced, 1 single, K'd the other 4. Threw 23 pitches. I hope he can take the night off Thursday. However, if he does, the way things have been going lately, that probably means we never had a late lead and got beat. I really hate that he had to come in tonight. But the situation would not allow for the alternative due to the fact WE CAN'T GET RUNNERS ACROSS THE PLATE!

RTO Dawg
05-14-2013, 09:58 PM
nasty breaking ball in the dirt....

Coach34
05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
If he really was throwing 93- then he is an idiot if he doesnt try to go pitching only...he is career back-up as a position player.

I hope he sticks around and makes it work. Would make for a great story- for him and our staff

Homedawg
05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
If he really was throwing 93- then he is an idiot if he doesnt try to go pitching only...he is career back-up as a position player.

I hope he sticks around and makes it work. Would make for a great story- for him and our staff

He was 91-92 in his first inning. Topped out at 94. W a plus breaking ball. Lost a little velo in his second but he hasn't pitched and he's a max effort guy. One thing I noticed was he has lowered his arm slot. He use to be more over the top and his breaking ball was loopy. Not tonight. He might not be a savior, but he can help of he throws like that for sure. Hope for his sake he does.

Coach34
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
He was 91-92 in his first inning. Topped out at 94. W a plus breaking ball. Lost a little velo in his second but he hasn't pitched and he's a max effort guy. One thing I noticed was he has lowered his arm slot. He use to be more over the top and his breaking ball was loopy. Not tonight. He might not be a savior, but he can help of he throws like that for sure. Hope for his sake he does.

Then he can give us an inning here and there to finish this season- then work this Fall to see where he fits in with the rotation and such. I've been rough in criticizing him, but it would really be a great story if he made this transition and did well to finish his career here.

Todd4State
05-15-2013, 12:51 AM
This happens sometimes with young players. Sometimes it takes them a little while for them to figure out where they best fit in. Especially dual position guys. Heck, we originally recruited Jonathan Holder as an outfielder. But his pitching improved a good bit his senior year while his hitting regressed.

Sometimes it happens in pro baseball too- Look at Babe Ruth. And then you have Rick Ankiel, and then a lot of guys in the minors who have made the switch to pitching. I think Stan Musial started out as a pitcher as well.

But once a guy focuses on one thing, a lot of times they will take off because it's hard to split time between the two. That's one reason why most pitchers suck at hitting.

Todd4State
05-15-2013, 12:54 AM

He was probably originally taught a motion at some lower level that wasn't natural for him. Now it sounds like he is throwing at a much more natural motion for him. I haven't seen him pitch- so I don't know if he is throwing a curveball or a slider. But with is fastball being so straight, that was why I suggested throwing a cutter. But maybe changing his arm angle was all it took.

Todd4State
05-15-2013, 12:56 AM

Problem is, we still don't have a 3rd baseman. Frost/Detz will likely finish this year out, maybe Reid Humphries will come in and lock it down next year.

I don't think Norris would have started next year unless his hitting and defense significantly improved. I had serious doubts about that happening.

hometowndawg
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM

So does this mean we stick with the line up from last night? Keep Frost, better defense, at 3rd with Detz DH. I personally think this is our best line-up with Norris not doing anything at the plate

RBritt
05-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Will Norris pitch again this year?

Todd4State
05-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Will Norris pitch again this year?

My guess is more than likely. Especially with the SEC Tournament coming up.