PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Notes

MsStateBaseball
06-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Last night I saw where Daniel Garner hit a HR in his first AB of the summer. He is playing for the Lima Locos with about 4 others from MSU. Their roster is still not up to date. So apparently, he isn't transfering and sticking it out. He will compete for 1B and DH and maybe OF.

Chase Vallot did get picked 40th overall by the Royals. Again, when clubs called him he said yes he will go pro if they picked him. So he won't go to college.

Jacob Lindgren was picked 55th overall by the Yankees. He should have a long career as a reliever and will be traded often as he gets older. Nature of the game.

It is always hard to tell about baseball recruiting but I suspect we have a couple more to sign.

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
We have a list of where everyone is playing this summer? San Luis Obispo/Cape/Maryland?

MsStateBaseball
06-06-2014, 08:51 AM
The baseball office tweeted out that they are compiling it and will release it. I have the past few weeks go browse the rosters but some are incomplete. MSU does a great job keeping up with it now, of course.

BankerDog
06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Kyle Hann is playing somewhere in Canada. Dylan Ingram and Ben Hudspeth are in Ohio.

Garner is a great hitter. I wish we could've gotten him more ABs this year, he really would've sparked our offense.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Good stuff. It would be great if we could post a link to the summer stats and sticky it to the top of the forum once we find out where everyone is going his summer.

If you guys can get us a list and a stats website when it comes out, I'll try to make sure it gets stickied

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Just please tell me Rea is playing somewhere this summer and getting some hitting instruction instead of sitting his ass at home aGAIN.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Rea needs to be a graduate assistant. I want to see Garner, Humphreys or Ingram playing 1B next season.

HancockCountyDog
06-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Rea needs to be a graduate assistant. I want to see Garner, Humphreys or Ingram playing 1B next season.

Not if we can get 2013 postseason Rea to show up. I just hope he wasn't a flash in the pan.

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

I could live with that as well. But I don't see Rea hanging up the cleats willingly, and we all know how much Cohen loves "experienced" players.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Rea has a good glove. Id let him back if he commits to backing about 6"-12" off the plate and learns how to hit.

Steakonastick
06-06-2014, 10:34 AM
I hope Rea wants to go play summer ball. If he does not after the year he had I do not expect him to be back on the team. If wants to fish that is his decision but if I was Cohen he would not be on my team. Ross Mitchell is the only player that needs a break.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Y'all are nuts to say Rea needs to hang it up. That's one of the dumbest things ever posted on this board.

He is one of the best defensive first basemen in the league, and he is one year removed from being the talk of the entire College World Series. Not only that, everybody is moaning and bitching a bout power, and you want the biggest power threat on the team to quit?? How dumb.

Seniority and experience is huge in college baseball. Look at the ULL team we just played...they are group of veterans that struggled a few years ago and may make the CWS and are ranked #1 this year. Leadership and experience are crucial for a team to make a deep run, typically....Rea has that. So even if he is a matchup guy, a pinch hitter, or a late defensive sub....why would you not want a guy like that as your option instead of a Zach Randolph or somebody like that? It blows my mind that people could say they want Rea gone. In the heat of the moment after a big K, I get it...but now? You don't understand baseball chemistry if you want a senior with 5 bombs, that helped lead us to a CWS championship series, to just quit.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Leadership and experience are crucial for a team to make a deep run, typically....Rea has that.

He had his chance to lead, he didn't get it done. He was the ring leader of the fairies who thought they accomplished something last year. He didn't step up. I saw him prance around like some superstar after he hit a long foul ball one too many damn times. That jig is up.

The ONLY way that lard butt should be able to come back is if he works his ass off in summer ball, like another poster said. Nothing should be given to him. Good gloves at 1B aren't hard to come by. To say this is the dumbest post on this board....well, remember who actually goes to the games here and who doesn't.

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 10:53 AM
So even if he is a matchup guy, a pinch hitter, or a late defensive sub...

The point being that if his role is this, why would he stick it out?

1B has to be where you get offensive production. Rea cannot hit.

Homedawg
06-06-2014, 10:59 AM
The point being that if his role is this, why would he stick it out?

1B has to be where you get offensive production. Rea cannot hit.

While true about rea. You wanted his at bats to go to someone who struck out 9 of 12 ab's vs second pitching. I'm sure he could have gotten his k rate down to .500 had we just let him have more ab's!****

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Again, not saying he has to start, or even play...but if you're going to have him as a damn assistant coach like Goat is ridiculously saying...wouldn't you like for him to be able to pinch hit if you have an injury or your bats are struggling, and you have Robson due up with 2 outs in the 9th needing a homerun to tie it?

Don't let the fact that he had a down year this year turn you into an idiot. He's still a better bench option than most teams have. Or a late inning defensive sub.

In all of y'all's bitching about Rea, did you know that he only had 8 less hits in 2014 than 2013, with only 4 more at bats? Did you know that his on base % was only about 30 points lower this year than last, and his batting average about 50 points down?

The problem was not necessarily that Rea sucked bad this year, but that people thought he was better than he was last year and thought he would improve but he didn't. I expected more out of him this year like everyone else, but to say he should quit is extreme and crazy. Hell, we praised Trey Porter for the same numbers Rea put up this year, 2 years ago. Where everyone is pissed off, is that we expected Rea to lead our team this year and he didn't. When .300 avg with 5+ HR's is possible for next year, why would you encourage that to leave when our offense is as bad as it is? Just confuses me.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 11:04 AM
well, remember who actually goes to the games here and who doesn't.

What a Goat post. So if you go to 10 more games per year than someone, you know more about the team? What a dipshit comment...not surprised though. I guess if I go to 1 Atlanta Braves game this year and mstate7 doesn't, but he watches every single game on TV...I know more than him about the braves? #GoatLogic. Moron

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 11:54 AM
What a Goat post. So if you go to 10 more games per year than someone, you know more about the team? What a dipshit comment...not surprised though. I guess if I go to 1 Atlanta Braves game this year and mstate7 doesn't, but he watches every single game on TV...I know more than him about the braves? #GoatLogic. Moron

I know you're in a hole when you resort to this type nonsense. Can you not handle another point of view? Is your ego that big? Remember, YOU started the insults pal. You called that the dumbest post ever made on this board. You asked for it, then you got it. And hey, I did it without insulting you.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 11:56 AM
In all of y'all's bitching about Rea, did you know that he only had 8 less hits in 2014 than 2013, with only 4 more at bats? Did you know that his on base % was only about 30 points lower this year than last, and his batting average about 50 points down?

He wasn't great in 2013. He had like 2 clutch hits in Omaha and fielded a one hopper vs. Virginia.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
He wasn't great in 2013. He had like 2 clutch hits in Omaha and fielded a one hopper vs. Virginia.

That's my point

Steakonastick
06-06-2014, 12:03 PM
So if Rea wants to fish this summer instead of playing summer ball we should pat him on the back and say good job. Everybody loves him cause he had a few big hits during the post season lasy year. All our fans act like he AJ Reed. He gets more love because of his size then talent. What would Mullen do if we had a player who did not wanna do summer work outs and fish?

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 12:13 PM
So if Rea wants to fish this summer instead of playing summer ball we should pat him on the back and say good job.

Who said this?

I'm assuming he goes off to play summer ball. Cut his ass if he doesn't.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm assuming he goes off to play summer ball. Cut his ass if he doesn't.

So after all the insults and dumbest posts in ED history, we all actually agree. Next time, just say what I bolded, you know?

DudyDawg
06-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I think it is ridiculous to act like Rea shouldn't/won't come back. Are y'all high?? He's a team captain, team favorite, fan favorite. He's going nowhere so get over it. I agree he needs to improve, and if he doesn't Cohen shouldn't be afraid to put him on the bench, but it is ridiculous to say that he won't or shouldn't come back. And for those saying its easy to find a great defensive first baseman, it isn't. Its easy to find an average one, but not someone who can catch a ball eight feet in the air with his foot on the bag. Stats don't say it all for defense at first, and even his stats say a ton about how good he is over there. He's going nowhere, and he will start opening day barring injury. I hope he approves and can be a stud, but even if he regresses, he will be the starting first baseman on senior day. He's going nowhere

basedog
06-06-2014, 12:30 PM
My feeling on Rea is IF he plays summer play and shows signs of improving and making he proper adjustments at the plate, then fine come back and EARN 1st base. If he doesn't play summer ball he should move on. Being a 5th year senior and having a down year makes me wonder if Cohen will allow Rea scholarship money.

I don't dislike Rea and I'm glad he attended Msu and played baseball, but I would like to see the young guys given a shot at 1st!

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Graduate Assistant would be a perfect fit for him. I think he'll be an outstanding coach.

thedawg
06-06-2014, 12:43 PM
I would like to say that I am a huge Wes Rea fan. I hope he comes back for no other reason than leadership.

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Graduate Assistant would be a perfect fit for him. I think he'll be an outstanding coach.

Keep him away from the hitting drills.

DudyDawg
06-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I dont understand the logic behind that. If he doesn't go to summer ball, he doesn't care, so thats a good example as a coach? If he doesn't get better, make him a coach, because he could teach others?

thedawg
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I have no idea if hes going anywhere this summer or not... but if he doesnt maybe Cohen told him not to... Cohen might have felt he needed to get away from it all and do a total reset... just a thought.

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 12:48 PM
He's got the natural ability to coach. Does/did he need an attitude adjustment? Maybe. We all make mistakes.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 12:57 PM
I dont understand the logic behind that. If he doesn't go to summer ball, he doesn't care, so thats a good example as a coach? If he doesn't get better, make him a coach, because he could teach others?

Because there is no logic to it.

If he goes to play summer ball, he will improve and should 100% come back.

If he doesn't play summer ball, he is being lazy and obviously doesn't care about improving, so he needs to be done. If he doesn't play summer ball, he should never be a coach bc who wants a lazy coach that isn't interested in getting better?

The only way he should be a coach is AFTER next year. Coming back next year as a coach makes no sense on any level. If he understands the game enough to coach already, then he should be on the team since he's eligible. It's ridiculous and makes no sense

DudyDawg
06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Because there is no logic to it.

If he goes to play summer ball, he will improve and should come back 100%.

If he doesn't play summer ball, he is being lazy and obviously doesn't care about improving, so he needs to be done. If he doesn't play summer ball, he should never be a coach bc who wants a lazy coach that isn't interested in getting better?

The only way he should be a coach is AFTER next year. Coming back next year as a coach makes no sense on any level. If he understands the game enough to coach already, then he should be on the team since he's eligible. It's ridiculous and makes no sense

Well, he led the team in home runs, has a history of SOME clutch hitting, and if my guess is correct, led the team in defensive %. Lets put him in a pullover on the bench. Thats stupid. He will be our first baseman next year, get over it

HancockCountyDog
06-06-2014, 01:12 PM

How quickly some forget.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/14500261/wes-rae-homer.0_standard_709.0.gif

HancockCountyDog
06-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Look - he hit .291 and was 2nd on the team in Hr's and RBI. He had like a .800+ OPS last year while playing really good defense.

He did not have a good year this year. You know who didn't have a good year last year? Will Allen for the bears. He was terrible. This year he is a Johnny Bench candidate and hit over .300.

You think that Rea couldn't have that type production? He already has proven he can get it done. Throw in the fact that the ball will be traveling further next year, and Im just fine with Rea coming back. Now, if he does take the summer off to go fishing - he better be ready to work for his damn roster spot though.

DudyDawg
06-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Let's just kicking people off the team who don't play well**

Britton should have been coaching in March by the logic of these posts

Pioneer Dawg
06-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I can't locate it but Rea has to be approaching the SEC All-Time K leader.

2012- 2nd in the SEC
2013 - 6th in the SEC with less AB's than everyday starters
2014 - 1st in the SEC

maroonmania
06-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Chase Vallot did get picked 40th overall by the Royals. Again, when clubs called him he said yes he will go pro if they picked him. So he won't go to college.

Well, just something else to blame Matt Stevens for.

Dawg61
06-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I don't think Rea needs to play summer ball i think he's better off hitting 500 pitches a day in the cage and running/working out. He can fish early in the morning too. How much better is Rea going to get with 4 ABs a day compared to 4 hours a day working on his hitting? He should hire a hitting coach and work on his timing. That to me is why he's struggling. His leg kick/timing has been off the whole year. Rea is a senior with tons of experience. If he hits over .300 and has 10+ HR next year he'll get drafted and have a future in pro ball. One summer of working his ass off will result in a career in baseball. Get it done Rea I'm rooting for you.

Steakonastick
06-06-2014, 01:58 PM
He needs to get out of Starkville. He's going to improve so much by working baseball camps and having kids hang all over him. He needs to work with different coaches and get his ass kicked into shape. I am a very big believer in body language and Wes is the cockiest baseball player we have. If he wants to be a leader he needs to start leading by example. He has not played summer ball one time since he's been at state. I understand he has been hurt some. He needs a change of scenery. And by playing somebody cause they are a fan favorite is the worst excuse I have ever heard. That's worst then my kid is playing short stop cause I'm the coach. I have listened first hand to the scouts laugh at him. Saying he looks like Tarzan and hits like Jane. Every other player plays summer ball. Why should he get special treatment?

Goat Holder
06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
I am a very big believer in body language and Wes is the cockiest baseball player we have.

You mean long fly balls to the LF bleachers at DNF don't give you the right to strut like a rooster??

tcdog70
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
it would be a big plus for Rea to come back. He has one of the top gloves in the SEC. With the new baseball, He could be one of the best power Guys in the SEC. If JC could get Him some protection and let Him see some more fast balls that would be a big help. I think it messed Him up seeing so many curves and sliders and He changed His approach and became an inside outer. Shit, he needs to yank the first fast ball he sees. One problem is he looked at too many fastballs. Get aggressive, he did at ULL.

KB21
06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
IMO, bat speed is a big issue with Wes. He's never going to be able to hit a strong fastball because he doesn't have the bat speed. Even last year, his ISO was only 0.165, which is very average for a guy that should be a power guy. For comparison, Hunter Renfroe's ISO was 0.290 last year. Thing is, even with bat speed issues, Wes was still the top slugger on the team last year. That shows you exactly why this team could generate big innings to climb out of 3 run holes.

MadisonDawg
06-06-2014, 07:37 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/pdf/bb/2014SummerBall.pdf?SPSID=90857&DB_LANG=C&&&&&SPID=10993&DB_OEM_ID=16800 hailstatebb just tweeted this no Wes as of now

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 07:46 PM
This is ridiculous.

Wes Rea should come back and be a player on the team no matter what. We have zero to lose by having him on our team next year. If he comes back and has a big year, that's awesome. If he continues to struggle, we bench him like we did this year.

And the people calling Wes out for not playing baseball last year have forgotten that he had a foot injury last year that he played through and that he has struggled with shoulder issues since high school.

basedog
06-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Todd, I'm not saying he shouldn't come back, I'm saying if he does he has to prove over the summer and fall camp he earns his spot and not just give it to him. Like I said before, with him being a 5th year senior, I'm not so sure Cohen will give him scholarship money. I may be wrong, I just want to see some of the young guys step up next year.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2014, 09:42 PM
This is ridiculous.

Wes Rea should come back and be a player on the team no matter what. We have zero to lose by having him on our team next year. If he comes back and has a big year, that's awesome. If he continues to struggle, we bench him like we did this year.

And the people calling Wes out for not playing baseball last year have forgotten that he had a foot injury last year that he played through and that he has struggled with shoulder issues since high school.

^

Todd4State
06-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Todd, I'm not saying he shouldn't come back, I'm saying if he does he has to prove over the summer and fall camp he earns his spot and not just give it to him. Like I said before, with him being a 5th year senior, I'm not so sure Cohen will give him scholarship money. I may be wrong, I just want to see some of the young guys step up next year.

I understand people wanting him to go play summer ball. I want him to do that too. I don't understand people not wanting him back at all other than as a "coach".

But I don't think he will be given the first base job based on the fact that Cohen essentially made the captain a platoon player and dropped him to 8th in the lineup at times.